He who fears the unknown may one day flee from his own backside. -- Sinbad

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)shawn
|   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)BTR1701
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)shawn
|  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)shawn
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<ujftfn$buae$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209372&group=rec.arts.tv#209372

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 07:20:23 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 15:20 UTC

Yesterday, I didn't do much, except finish "Loki" season #2:

soaps: DOOL - Thur's ep. This was pretty forgettable. I think the main
thing that Schanke from "Forever Knight", who is EVOL!!1!, is going to
have NuTheresa kidnap Sarah's baby or something (to sabotage her custody
hearing versus Xander?). Meanwhile, to get rid of Stephanie's ex,
Everett(?), after they have another fight about him (and Stephanie is
being a whiny lil' bitch! - Chad should just dump her ass!) Chad tries
to buy the paper from Xander, who knows Chad's angle and refuses. So
Chad calls up Gwen(!) to somehow get the paper from her.

football - In another shocking(! /s) result, the Chargers choke at the
end and lose another game, this time to Green Bay (who are also lousy!)
- they are now 4-6, and have almost no chance of making the playoffs
now. And next week they get to play the Ravens. :|
The Seahawks also choke at the end of their game, and lose to the Rams!!
In the evening game, Denver produces another improbable late-game win!

Loki (Dinsey+) - Ep's #2.5 & 2.6, the final two episodes.
Of course ep. #2.5 is an iteration "Groundhog Day" - you knew that
had to get that in here somewhere!
The show does go with a somewhat surprising (and, I guess,
"satisfying"(?)) ending. I know Tom Hiddleston has talked about his
hopes of doing a season #3 of this show, but with this ending I don't
see how that is remotely possible, unless they do an unrelated prequel,
or something.

Holiday Hotline (Hallmark) - Maybe it's just me, but I found this one to
be much better than average for one of these Hallmark holiday flicks,
and it's not just because Emily Tennant is so damn appealing.
This one had several things going for it. First, it's more of a
"Thanksgiving movie" than a "Christmas movie", which makes it fresh.
Second, the actual "holiday hotline" angle was totally novel - I don't
remember any other holiday movie using this bit. And, finally, just to
make things interesting/weird, they made Tennant's character British, so
she had to use an English accent through much of the film, though she
"fakes" an American one through parts (Tennant is Canadian!).
Beyond that, this flick did hit many of the same beats as other
Hallmark-type X-Mas flicks - e.g. I like how these movies make it seem
like sensitive widower-types (here Niall Matter) with precious tween
daughters seemingly grow on trees for recently dumped/dumpee
30-something gals to scoop up on!
Anyway, between Tennant and some of the new, fresher angles, this
was probably the best of the new "holiday" flicks that I have seen so
far this year.

And what did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<ujg234$cost$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209386&group=rec.arts.tv#209386

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 08:38:41 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:38 UTC

On 11/20/2023 7:20 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> Yesterday, I didn't do much, except finish "Loki" season #2:
>
> soaps: DOOL - Thur's ep. This was pretty forgettable. I think the main
> thing that Schanke from "Forever Knight", who is EVOL!!1!, is going to
> have NuTheresa kidnap Sarah's baby or something (to sabotage her custody
> hearing versus Xander?). Meanwhile, to get rid of Stephanie's ex,
> Everett(?), after they have another fight about him (and Stephanie is
> being a whiny lil' bitch! - Chad should just dump her ass!) Chad tries
> to buy the paper from Xander, who knows Chad's angle and refuses. So
> Chad calls up Gwen(!) to somehow get the paper from her.
>
> football - In another shocking(! /s) result, the Chargers choke at the
> end and lose another game, this time to Green Bay (who are also lousy!)
> - they are now 4-6, and have almost no chance of making the playoffs
> now. And next week they get to play the Ravens.  :|
>    The Seahawks also choke at the end of their game, and lose to the
> Rams!!
>    In the evening game, Denver produces another improbable late-game win!
>
> Loki (Dinsey+) - Ep's #2.5 & 2.6, the final two episodes.
>    Of course ep. #2.5 is an iteration "Groundhog Day" - you knew that
> had to get that in here somewhere!
>    The show does go with a somewhat surprising (and, I guess,
> "satisfying"(?)) ending. I know Tom Hiddleston has talked about his
> hopes of doing a season #3 of this show, but with this ending I don't
> see how that is remotely possible, unless they do an unrelated prequel,
> or something.
>
> Holiday Hotline (Hallmark) - Maybe it's just me, but I found this one to
> be much better than average for one of these Hallmark holiday flicks,
> and it's not just because Emily Tennant is so damn appealing.
>    This one had several things going for it. First, it's more of a
> "Thanksgiving movie" than a "Christmas movie", which makes it fresh.
> Second, the actual "holiday hotline" angle was totally novel - I don't
> remember any other holiday movie using this bit. And, finally, just to
> make things interesting/weird, they made Tennant's character British, so
> she had to use an English accent through much of the film, though she
> "fakes" an American one through parts (Tennant is Canadian!).
>    Beyond that, this flick did hit many of the same beats as other
> Hallmark-type X-Mas flicks - e.g. I like how these movies make it seem
> like sensitive widower-types (here Niall Matter) with precious tween
> daughters seemingly grow on trees for recently dumped/dumpee
> 30-something gals to scoop up on!
>    Anyway, between Tennant and some of the new, fresher angles, this
> was probably the best of the new "holiday" flicks that I have seen so
> far this year.
>
> And what did you watch?

I watched:

Divergent (4K disc) 2014 sci-fi movie set in a dystopian future in the
remains of Chicago, which appears to be the last city on earth. Everyone
is divided into 1 of 5 groups based on their personality. The way I
remembered it, the personality was genetically linked, but according to
the first movie everyone simply takes a test then gets to pick whatever
faction they want regardless of test results.

Shailene Woodley stars as a young woman raised by "Abnegation" which is
the selfless faction and also the faction that runs the government.
Most people wind up in the faction of their parents, but after taking
the test to determine what faction she should join her results say she
is divergent, meaning she has the personality traits of multiple
factions. This is seriously frowned upon, but not common knowledge
among the population. Woodley decides to join "Dauntless," the faction
that makes up the police and soldiers. And in a double slap to the face
of their parents her brother (Ansel Elgort) joins Erudite, the faction
for smart people. The Erudite faction is run by Kate Winslet who is
secretly planning to take over the city. But most of the movie focuses
on Woodley trying to make it in the Dauntless faction while falling in
love with her teacher played by Theo James. Rounding out the cast are
Maggie Q who warns Woodley she's divergent, Jai Courtney and Mekhi
Phifer as two mustache twirling henchmen in the Dauntless faction but
secretly working for Winslet. Ashley Judd and Tony Goldwyn as Woodley's
parents. And Miles Teller as Doctor Smith, I mean a member of Dauntless
whose sole purpose in the series is to constantly betray everyone every
chance he gets yet somehow no one ever puts a bullet in him.

The Divergent Series: Insurgent (3D disc) 2015 sequel which picks up
where the first one ended. I went into this one with very little memory
of the plot and was surprised by just how little actually happens in
this movie. Also they retcon things so a person's faction type can be
genetically detected by a machine. The plot is basically the heroes
from the first movie being framed for all the bad stuff that happened
and going into hiding. Miles Teller of course double crosses everyone
because that's what he does! Kate Winslet needs someone who is 100%
divergent in order to open a device and as it just so happens to turn
out Shailene Woodley is the only one around who is 100% Divergent. One
thing leads to another, Woodley's captured, she opens the box. Once the
box is opened a message is revealed that there are human survivors
outside of Chicago. Meanwhile a civil war breaks out lead by the people
who don't have a faction. Naomi Watts plays their leader and also
happens to be Theo James mother. Watts wins and promptly kills Kate
Winslet's character. And Octavia Spencer joins the cast as the leader of
the passivist, hippy, farming faction. This movie was pretty much a
complete waste of time. Honestly, in spite of my summary, not a whole
lot actually happens in this movie!

The Divergent Series: Allegiant (4K disc) 2016 sequel. This was my
first time watching it since seeing it in the theater. I only had a
vague memory of what was going to happen, but no specifics. Early in
the movie the main cast is making their escape from the city. I
immediately noticed that as they reach the top of the wall and all smile
at their newfound freedom, Maggie Q was conspicuously just to the side
of everyone else, I immediately knew Maggie wouldn't be enjoying that
freedom. And sure enough a split second later she's shot in the back.
See, there are stakes in this movie, anyone can die. Then there's Miles
Teller's character who in the first 2 movies *no* one liked! His entire
function in the first two movies was to alternate between being A
"Doctor Smith" backstabber and annoying people while plotting his next
backstabbing. And in this one he tags along with everyone after
threatening to get them captured if they don't let him tag along. What,
shooting him on the spot and leaving his corpse behind wasn't an option?

Anyway, the plot of this one picks up right where part 2 ends with
everyone learning about a society outside the walls of Chicago. The new
leadership orders everyone to stay behind the walls, but the leads from
the first two movies all decide they want to meet what's left of
humanity. Back in the city the civil war turns out to not be entirely
over with Octavia Spencer, you the *leader* of the passivist hippies,
declaring, "Look at the scars on my face. I wasn't always Amity." She
then arms up her side, you know, the passivist hippies, and leads a
counter revolution. But most of the action follows the leads outside of
the city.

Joining the cast are Jeff Daniels as one of the leaders of an advanced
human civilization that created the Chicago society and has been keeping
tabs on them. Bill Skarsgård also joins the cast as one of the people
working for Daniels and his main role seems to be looking as creepy as
possible. Was Dane DeHaan not available? The leads of course discover
Jeff Danial's isn't as nice as he first appeared and must stop his evil
plans for Chicago. And Miles Teller of course betrays them. Because
that's what he does!!! Why did they take him with them in the first
place?!?

Overall this one is pretty good and probably the best in the series.
Unfortunately, I think mainly due to the stench of part 2, no one saw
part 3, and the series ended in a cliffhanger that will never be
resolved. :-(

Robots (Hulu) 2023 sci-fi comedy starring Shailene Woodley and Jack
Whitehall as too jerks who have robot duplicates of themselves made so
they can scam people and avoid actual work. They each send their robots
on their dates and the robots wind up falling in love with each other
and running off together. This is particularly problematic because
making robot duplicates is highly illegal so they can't call the police
or tell anyone even as the robots intentionally set out to destroy their
lives. Not a particularly funny comedy, or even that good, but I like
the subject matter so it held my interest.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<ujg6cs$ddr8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209389&group=rec.arts.tv#209389

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 09:52:28 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:52 UTC

On 11/20/23 8:38 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

> I watched:
>
> Divergent (4K disc)
>
> The Divergent Series: Insurgent (3D disc)
>
> The Divergent Series: Allegiant (4K disc) 2016 sequel.  This was my
> first time watching it since seeing it in the theater.  I only had a
> vague memory of what was going to happen, but no specifics.  Early in
> the movie the main cast is making their escape from the city.  I
> immediately noticed that as they reach the top of the wall and all smile
> at their newfound freedom, Maggie Q was conspicuously just to the side
> of everyone else, I immediately knew Maggie wouldn't be enjoying that
> freedom.  And sure enough a split second later she's shot in the back.
> See, there are stakes in this movie, anyone can die.  Then there's Miles
> Teller's character who in the first 2 movies *no* one liked!  His entire
> function in the first two movies was to alternate between being A
> "Doctor Smith" backstabber and annoying people while plotting his next
> backstabbing.  And in this one he tags along with everyone after
> threatening to get them captured if they don't let him tag along.  What,
> shooting him on the spot and leaving his corpse behind wasn't an option?
>
> Anyway, the plot of this one picks up right where part 2 ends with
> everyone learning about a society outside the walls of Chicago.  The new
> leadership orders everyone to stay behind the walls, but the leads from
> the first two movies all decide they want to meet what's left of
> humanity.  Back in the city the civil war turns out to not be entirely
> over with Octavia Spencer, you the *leader* of the passivist hippies,
> declaring, "Look at the scars on my face.  I wasn't always Amity."  She
> then arms up her side, you know, the passivist hippies, and leads a
> counter revolution.  But most of the action follows the leads outside of
> the city.
>
> Joining the cast are Jeff Daniels as one of the leaders of an advanced
> human civilization that created the Chicago society and has been keeping
> tabs on them.  Bill Skarsgård also joins the cast as one of the people
> working for Daniels and his main role seems to be looking as creepy as
> possible.  Was Dane DeHaan not available?  The leads of course discover
> Jeff Danial's isn't as nice as he first appeared and must stop his evil
> plans for Chicago.  And Miles Teller of course betrays them.  Because
> that's what he does!!!  Why did they take him with them in the first
> place?!?
>
> Overall this one is pretty good and probably the best in the series.

Are you nuts?! It's by far *the worst* in the series!! And it's killed
by more than just the incredibly cheap CGI they used! Like the horrible
storyline!

> Unfortunately, I think mainly due to the stench of part 2, no one saw
> part 3, and the series ended in a cliffhanger that will never be
> resolved.  :-(

No! People *specifically avoided* Part 3!! 'Cos it's awful!

> No One Will Save You (Hulu) 2023 sci-fi horror movie about a young woman
> (who never speaks) being terrorized by aliens.

This is on my list, by I keep getting sidetracked away from movies
currently... :(

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<atropos-8C0339.13351520112023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209417&group=rec.arts.tv#209417

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:35:15 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 21:35 UTC

In article <ujftfn$buae$1@dont-email.me>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> And what did you watch?

I watched the first two episodes of MONARCH and Ed's worry that there
won't be any actual monsters on display because of the budget is
unfounded. Monsters galore. We even got to watch the original OG-odzilla
himself taking out the Golden Gate.

It's one of those shows that keeps bouncing back and forth in time,
which is kind of annoying, but it's done well enough that it doesn't
become too confusing.

Kurt Douglas's son looks spookily just like him but younger, which
allows them to play the same character in two different time periods
without having to do any o that annoying CG de-aging nonsense.

Looking forward to the rest of this one.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<493951939.722195712.802630.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209420&group=rec.arts.tv#209420

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 15:10:12 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 22:10 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> Yesterday, I didn't do much, except finish "Loki" season #2:
>

> Loki (Dinsey+) - Ep's #2.5 & 2.6, the final two episodes.
> Of course ep. #2.5 is an iteration "Groundhog Day" - you knew that
> had to get that in here somewhere!
> The show does go with a somewhat surprising (and, I guess,
> "satisfying"(?)) ending. I know Tom Hiddleston has talked about his
> hopes of doing a season #3 of this show, but with this ending I don't
> see how that is remotely possible, unless they do an unrelated prequel,
> or something.

Aren’t there an unlimited number of Loki variants now? We know they didn’t
merge them because Loki girl is still there.

> Holiday Hotline (Hallmark) - Maybe it's just me, but I found this one to
> be much better than average for one of these Hallmark holiday flicks,
> and it's not just because Emily Tennant is so damn appealing.
> This one had several things going for it. First, it's more of a
> "Thanksgiving movie" than a "Christmas movie", which makes it fresh.

The peach and I were saying yesterday that they should do some of these
Thanksgiving movies. Most of them would take about 20 minutes to change the
script at worst.

> Second, the actual "holiday hotline" angle was totally novel - I don't
> remember any other holiday movie using this bit.

The West Wing used it to good affect.

> And what did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<2051736647.722211764.052907.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209431&group=rec.arts.tv#209431

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:42:49 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 23:42 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <ujftfn$buae$1@dont-email.me>,
> "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> And what did you watch?
>
> I watched the first two episodes of MONARCH and Ed's worry that there
> won't be any actual monsters on display because of the budget is
> unfounded. Monsters galore. We even got to watch the original OG-odzilla
> himself taking out the Golden Gate.
>
> It's one of those shows that keeps bouncing back and forth in time,
> which is kind of annoying, but it's done well enough that it doesn't
> become too confusing.
>
> Kurt Douglas's son looks spookily just like him

Yeah, they should cast him in this remake of 20,000 leagues into the sea

but younger, which
> allows them to play the same character in two different time periods
> without having to do any o that annoying CG de-aging nonsense.
>
> Looking forward to the rest of this one.

I doubt I’ll live long enough to see the whole thing. So I’ll just go ahead
and ask. Is the publicity stuff right or wrong that they’re playing the
same character separated in time by 60 years? Because the two actors are
only 30 years apart in age.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<1392906250.722211992.692765.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209432&group=rec.arts.tv#209432

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:42:49 -0700
> [...]

>> plans for Chicago.  And Miles Teller of course betrays them.  Because
>> that's what he does!!!  Why did they take him with them in the first
>> place?!?
>>
>> Overall this one is pretty good and probably the best in the series.
>
> Are you nuts?! It's by far *the worst* in the series!! And it's killed
> by more than just the incredibly cheap CGI they used! Like the horrible
> storyline!
>
>> Unfortunately, I think mainly due to the stench of part 2, no one saw
>> part 3, and the series ended in a cliffhanger that will never be
>> resolved.  :-(
>
> No! People *specifically avoided* Part 3!! 'Cos it's awful!
>
>> No One Will Save You (Hulu) 2023 sci-fi horror movie about a young woman
>> (who never speaks) being terrorized by aliens.
>
> This is on my list, by I keep getting sidetracked away from movies

On your what now?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<5jrnli15iqjrpuofuvdf3ma47m8gm0cfpl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209439&group=rec.arts.tv#209439

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 18:45:27 -0500
 by: shawn - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 23:45 UTC

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 15:10:12 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> Yesterday, I didn't do much, except finish "Loki" season #2:
>>

>> Loki (Dinsey+) - Ep's #2.5 & 2.6, the final two episodes.
>> Of course ep. #2.5 is an iteration "Groundhog Day" - you knew that
>> had to get that in here somewhere!
>> The show does go with a somewhat surprising (and, I guess,
>> "satisfying"(?)) ending. I know Tom Hiddleston has talked about his
>> hopes of doing a season #3 of this show, but with this ending I don't
>> see how that is remotely possible, unless they do an unrelated prequel,
>> or something.
>
>Aren’t there an unlimited number of Loki variants now? We know they didn’t
>merge them because Loki girl is still there.
>

>> Holiday Hotline (Hallmark) - Maybe it's just me, but I found this one to
>> be much better than average for one of these Hallmark holiday flicks,
>> and it's not just because Emily Tennant is so damn appealing.
>> This one had several things going for it. First, it's more of a
>> "Thanksgiving movie" than a "Christmas movie", which makes it fresh.
>
>The peach and I were saying yesterday that they should do some of these
>Thanksgiving movies. Most of them would take about 20 minutes to change the
>script at worst.
>

>> Second, the actual "holiday hotline" angle was totally novel - I don't
>> remember any other holiday movie using this bit.
>
>The West Wing used it to good affect.

" I'm a citizen. I'm Joe Bethersenton from Fargo, ND. My street
address is 11454 Pruder Street and it's very important that you put
street down there because sometimes it gets confused with Pruder Way
and Pruder Lane. It's Apartment 23 R Fargo North Dakota, zip code
50504. I do radio commercials for products. Stuffing should be stuffed
inside the turkey, am I correct."

A great scene in a great show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQsvcs9IB8A

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<uftnli9orui3i8ijctkcnl9tdi4rjjop7h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209442&group=rec.arts.tv#209442

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 19:14:22 -0500
 by: shawn - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 00:14 UTC

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:42:49 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> In article <ujftfn$buae$1@dont-email.me>,
>> "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> And what did you watch?
>>
>> I watched the first two episodes of MONARCH and Ed's worry that there
>> won't be any actual monsters on display because of the budget is
>> unfounded. Monsters galore. We even got to watch the original OG-odzilla
>> himself taking out the Golden Gate.
>>
>> It's one of those shows that keeps bouncing back and forth in time,
>> which is kind of annoying, but it's done well enough that it doesn't
>> become too confusing.
>>
>> Kurt Douglas's son looks spookily just like him
>
>Yeah, they should cast him in this remake of 20,000 leagues into the sea
>

> but younger, which
>> allows them to play the same character in two different time periods
>> without having to do any o that annoying CG de-aging nonsense.
>>
>> Looking forward to the rest of this one.
>
>I doubt I’ll live long enough to see the whole thing. So I’ll just go ahead
>and ask. Is the publicity stuff right or wrong that they’re playing the
>same character separated in time by 60 years? Because the two actors are
>only 30 years apart in age.

Yes, it starts back in the 1950s and then moves forward to around
2015. So does have the character go from what would likely be in his
early 20s to his 80s, but he's a very fit 80 something.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<rjtnlipvovbt1n6bgulmrskt1j0a5e74j4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209443&group=rec.arts.tv#209443

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 19:15:57 -0500
 by: shawn - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 00:15 UTC

wrote:

> [...]
>>> plans for Chicago.  And Miles Teller of course betrays them.  Because
>>> that's what he does!!!  Why did they take him with them in the first
>>> place?!?
>>>
>>> Overall this one is pretty good and probably the best in the series.
>>
>> Are you nuts?! It's by far *the worst* in the series!! And it's killed
>> by more than just the incredibly cheap CGI they used! Like the horrible
>> storyline!
>>
>>> Unfortunately, I think mainly due to the stench of part 2, no one saw
>>> part 3, and the series ended in a cliffhanger that will never be
>>> resolved.  :-(
>>
>> No! People *specifically avoided* Part 3!! 'Cos it's awful!
>>
>>> No One Will Save You (Hulu) 2023 sci-fi horror movie about a young woman
>>> (who never speaks) being terrorized by aliens.
>>
>> This is on my list, by I keep getting sidetracked away from movies

On his lisp. Why he keeps movies on a lisp I can't say but we know it
wasn't a list of movies he planned to watch so it must be movies he
wanted to talk about but couldn't because of the lisp.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<627824527.722232497.711145.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209453&group=rec.arts.tv#209453

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 21:11:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 04:11 UTC

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 15:10:12 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>> Yesterday, I didn't do much, except finish "Loki" season #2:
>>>

>>> Loki (Dinsey+) - Ep's #2.5 & 2.6, the final two episodes.
>>> Of course ep. #2.5 is an iteration "Groundhog Day" - you knew that
>>> had to get that in here somewhere!
>>> The show does go with a somewhat surprising (and, I guess,
>>> "satisfying"(?)) ending. I know Tom Hiddleston has talked about his
>>> hopes of doing a season #3 of this show, but with this ending I don't
>>> see how that is remotely possible, unless they do an unrelated prequel,
>>> or something.
>>
>> Aren’t there an unlimited number of Loki variants now? We know they didn’t
>> merge them because Loki girl is still there.
>>

>>> Holiday Hotline (Hallmark) - Maybe it's just me, but I found this one to
>>> be much better than average for one of these Hallmark holiday flicks,
>>> and it's not just because Emily Tennant is so damn appealing.
>>> This one had several things going for it. First, it's more of a
>>> "Thanksgiving movie" than a "Christmas movie", which makes it fresh.
>>
>> The peach and I were saying yesterday that they should do some of these
>> Thanksgiving movies. Most of them would take about 20 minutes to change the
>> script at worst.
>>

>>> Second, the actual "holiday hotline" angle was totally novel - I don't
>>> remember any other holiday movie using this bit.
>>
>> The West Wing used it to good affect.
>
> " I'm a citizen. I'm Joe Bethersenton from Fargo, ND. My street
> address is 11454 Pruder Street and it's very important that you put
> street down there because sometimes it gets confused with Pruder Way
> and Pruder Lane. It's Apartment 23 R Fargo North Dakota, zip code
> 50504. I do radio commercials for products. Stuffing should be stuffed
> inside the turkey, am I correct."
>
> A great scene in a great show.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQsvcs9IB8A

Hee hee

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<1259667578.722232525.716746.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209454&group=rec.arts.tv#209454

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 21:11:29 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 04:11 UTC

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:42:49 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> I watched the first two episodes of MONARCH and Ed's worry that there
>>> won't be any actual monsters on display because of the budget is
>>> unfounded. Monsters galore. We even got to watch the original OG-odzilla
>>> himself taking out the Golden Gate.
>>>
>>> It's one of those shows that keeps bouncing back and forth in time,
>>> which is kind of annoying, but it's done well enough that it doesn't
>>> become too confusing.
>>>
>>> Kurt Douglas's son looks spookily just like him
>>
>> Yeah, they should cast him in this remake of 20,000 leagues into the sea
>>

>> but younger, which
>>> allows them to play the same character in two different time periods
>>> without having to do any o that annoying CG de-aging nonsense.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to the rest of this one.
>>
>> I doubt I’ll live long enough to see the whole thing. So I’ll just go ahead
>> and ask. Is the publicity stuff right or wrong that they’re playing the
>> same character separated in time by 60 years? Because the two actors are
>> only 30 years apart in age.
>
> Yes, it starts back in the 1950s and then moves forward to around
> 2015. So does have the character go from what would likely be in his
> early 20s to his 80s, but he's a very fit 80 something.

Thanks!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<1339191320.722232619.547356.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209455&group=rec.arts.tv#209455

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 21:11:30 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 04:11 UTC

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:42:49 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Are you nuts?! It's by far *the worst* in the series!! And it's killed
>>> by more than just the incredibly cheap CGI they used! Like the horrible
>>> storyline!

>>> No! People *specifically avoided* Part 3!! 'Cos it's awful!

>>> This is on my list, by I keep getting sidetracked away from movies
>>> currently... :(
>>
>> On your what now?
>
> On his lisp. Why he keeps movies on a lisp I can't say but we know it
> wasn't a list of movies he planned to watch so it must be movies he
> wanted to talk about but couldn't because of the lisp.

Rhymes with “sugar crisp”

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<ujhc64$mrli$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209465&group=rec.arts.tv#209465

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 20:37:27 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 04:37 UTC

On 11/20/2023 4:14 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:42:49 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> I watched the first two episodes of MONARCH and Ed's worry that there
>>> won't be any actual monsters on display because of the budget is
>>> unfounded. Monsters galore. We even got to watch the original OG-odzilla
>>> himself taking out the Golden Gate.
>>>
>>> It's one of those shows that keeps bouncing back and forth in time,
>>> which is kind of annoying, but it's done well enough that it doesn't
>>> become too confusing.
>>>
>>> Kurt Douglas's son looks spookily just like him
>>
>> Yeah, they should cast him in this remake of 20,000 leagues into the sea
>>

>> but younger, which
>>> allows them to play the same character in two different time periods
>>> without having to do any o that annoying CG de-aging nonsense.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to the rest of this one.
>>
>> I doubt I’ll live long enough to see the whole thing. So I’ll just go ahead
>> and ask. Is the publicity stuff right or wrong that they’re playing the
>> same character separated in time by 60 years? Because the two actors are
>> only 30 years apart in age.
>
> Yes, it starts back in the 1950s and then moves forward to around
> 2015. So does have the character go from what would likely be in his
> early 20s to his 80s, but he's a very fit 80 something.

He's spent a lot of time running from monsters. ;)

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-11-19 (Sunday)

<ujifn2$s3aj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209497&group=rec.arts.tv#209497

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 06:43:46 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 14:43 UTC

On 11/20/2023 8:11 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 15:10:12 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Aren’t there an unlimited number of Loki variants now? We know they didn’t
>>> merge them because Loki girl is still there.

>>> The peach and I were saying yesterday that they should do some of these
>>> Thanksgiving movies. Most of them would take about 20 minutes to change the
>>> script at worst.

>>> The West Wing used it to good affect.
>>
>> " I'm a citizen. I'm Joe Bethersenton from Fargo, ND. My street
>> address is 11454 Pruder Street and it's very important that you put
>> street down there because sometimes it gets confused with Pruder Way
>> and Pruder Lane. It's Apartment 23 R Fargo North Dakota, zip code
>> 50504. I do radio commercials for products. Stuffing should be stuffed
>> inside the turkey, am I correct."
>>
>> A great scene in a great show.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQsvcs9IB8A
>>

> Hee hee

Yeah. Based on the statements, I was expecting someone else to be
saying that. :-)