From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Self check-out. Kick the luddite's teeth out
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 10:38:13 -0500
 by: Nyssa - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 15:38 UTC

RichA wrote:

> On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 20:53:13 UTC-5, RichA
> wrote:
>> I hate these f------ people. They think buying things
>> entitles them to be treated like royalty, to be fawned
>> over by some poor check-out person. Or they are too
>> F------- STUPID to use even the most basic technology.
>> Self-checkout kiosks were a Godsend, going backwards
>> isn't a good idea.
>>
>> https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/13/business/self-checkout-stores-
shopping/index.html

> Follow-up. I think I know why now. Apparently, Walmart
> is thinking about going backwards, back to check-out
> people. Why, you say? A friend goes into Walmart, tells
> me, they have a dozen self-check outs, but only three were
> lit up and there was a line of 10 people waiting. So,
> what's going on? Turns out, one of the staff (monitoring
> them) said the theft rate is too high and that they can't
> afford so many people just to monitor all the check-outs
> so they turned a bunch off, for good. "You give peasants
> an inch, they take a YARD."

According to Chris Andrews' "The Overworked Consumer:
Self-Checkouts, Supermarkets, and the Do-It-Yourself Economy"
the only ones who have made out from these self-checkout
setups are the manufacturers of the self-checkout setups.

It's not just Walmart that has figured out that the millions
of dollars they've spent on the machines and software haven't
paid back the savings and uptick in profits they thought would
come pouring in. Other companies are also rethinking their
decision to go with the customers doing the work instead
of their own employees.

Nyssa, who will not use the self-checkouts since she's
usually buying a full cart of stuff rather than an item
or two

Re: Self check-out. Kick the luddite's teeth out

<ujik84$sodt$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209508&group=rec.arts.tv#209508

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 11:01:07 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:01 UTC

RichA wrote:

> Follow-up. I think I know why now. Apparently, Walmart
> is thinking about going backwards, back to check-out
> people. Why, you say? A friend goes into Walmart, tells
> me, they have a dozen self-check outs, but only three were
> lit up and there was a line of 10 people waiting. So,
> what's going on? Turns out, one of the staff (monitoring
> them) said the theft rate is too high and that they can't
> afford so many people just to monitor all the check-outs
> so they turned a bunch off, for good. "You give peasants
> an inch, they take a YARD."

Well, yeah, have you ever seen The People Of WallMart?

--
let's go Brandon!

Re: Self check-out. Kick the luddite's teeth out

<ujiqe1$u022$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209522&group=rec.arts.tv#209522

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 11:46:41 -0600
 by: super70s - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 17:46 UTC

On 2023-11-21 15:38:13 +0000, Nyssa said:

> RichA wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 20:53:13 UTC-5, RichA
>> wrote:
>>> I hate these f------ people. They think buying things
>>> entitles them to be treated like royalty, to be fawned
>>> over by some poor check-out person. Or they are too
>>> F------- STUPID to use even the most basic technology.
>>> Self-checkout kiosks were a Godsend, going backwards
>>> isn't a good idea.
>>>
>>> https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/13/business/self-checkout-stores-
> shopping/index.html
>>
>> Follow-up. I think I know why now. Apparently, Walmart
>> is thinking about going backwards, back to check-out
>> people. Why, you say? A friend goes into Walmart, tells
>> me, they have a dozen self-check outs, but only three were
>> lit up and there was a line of 10 people waiting. So,
>> what's going on? Turns out, one of the staff (monitoring
>> them) said the theft rate is too high and that they can't
>> afford so many people just to monitor all the check-outs
>> so they turned a bunch off, for good. "You give peasants
>> an inch, they take a YARD."
>>
> According to Chris Andrews' "The Overworked Consumer:
> Self-Checkouts, Supermarkets, and the Do-It-Yourself Economy"
> the only ones who have made out from these self-checkout
> setups are the manufacturers of the self-checkout setups.
>
> It's not just Walmart that has figured out that the millions
> of dollars they've spent on the machines and software haven't
> paid back the savings and uptick in profits they thought would
> come pouring in. Other companies are also rethinking their
> decision to go with the customers doing the work instead
> of their own employees.

And think about the labor costs involved in letting people have
curbside service. It ramped up during Covid and a lot of people
probably never lost the habit.

It looks like Walmart's "Curbside pickup is free on orders $35 and
over...Curbside service is available for orders under $35 for a $6.99
service fee" and their associates are making a lot more than $6.99 per
hour these days.

> Nyssa, who will not use the self-checkouts since she's
> usually buying a full cart of stuff rather than an item
> or two

Re: Self check-out. Kick the luddite's teeth out

<ujits6$ugbp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209526&group=rec.arts.tv#209526

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 10:45:27 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 18:45 UTC

On 11/21/2023 9:46 AM, super70s wrote:
> On 2023-11-21 15:38:13 +0000, Nyssa said:
>
>> RichA wrote:

>> shopping/index.html
>>>
>>> Follow-up.  I think I know why now.  Apparently, Walmart
>>> is thinking about going backwards, back to check-out
>>> people.  Why, you say?  A friend goes into Walmart, tells
>>> me, they have a dozen self-check outs, but only three were
>>> lit up and there was a line of 10 people waiting.  So,
>>> what's going on?  Turns out, one of the staff (monitoring
>>> them) said the theft rate is too high and that they can't
>>> afford so many people just to monitor all the check-outs
>>> so they turned a bunch off, for good.  "You give peasants
>>> an inch, they take a YARD."
>>>
>> According to Chris Andrews' "The Overworked Consumer:
>> Self-Checkouts, Supermarkets, and the Do-It-Yourself Economy"
>> the only ones who have made out from these self-checkout
>> setups are the manufacturers of the self-checkout setups.
>>
>> It's not just Walmart that has figured out that the millions
>> of dollars they've spent on the machines and software haven't
>> paid back the savings and uptick in profits they thought would
>> come pouring in. Other companies are also rethinking their
>> decision to go with the customers doing the work instead
>> of their own employees.
>
> And think about the labor costs involved in letting people have curbside
> service. It ramped up during Covid and a lot of people probably never
> lost the habit.
>
> It looks like Walmart's "Curbside pickup is free on orders $35 and
> over...Curbside service is available for orders under $35 for a $6.99
> service fee" and their associates are making a lot more than $6.99 per
> hour these days.

You are supposed to "tip" the delivery people. Hadn't you heard? You
are supposed to tip EVERYBODY at least 50% now. ;)

dirty old man.

Re: Self check-out. Kick the luddite's teeth out

<ujiv6k$upn1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209527&group=rec.arts.tv#209527

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 13:08:04 -0600
 by: super70s - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 19:08 UTC

On 2023-11-21 18:45:27 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:

> On 11/21/2023 9:46 AM, super70s wrote:

>>> shopping/index.html

>>> According to Chris Andrews' "The Overworked Consumer:
>>> Self-Checkouts, Supermarkets, and the Do-It-Yourself Economy"
>>> the only ones who have made out from these self-checkout
>>> setups are the manufacturers of the self-checkout setups.
>>>
>>> It's not just Walmart that has figured out that the millions
>>> of dollars they've spent on the machines and software haven't
>>> paid back the savings and uptick in profits they thought would
>>> come pouring in. Other companies are also rethinking their
>>> decision to go with the customers doing the work instead
>>> of their own employees.
>>
>> And think about the labor costs involved in letting people have
>> curbside service. It ramped up during Covid and a lot of people
>> probably never lost the habit.
>>
>> It looks like Walmart's "Curbside pickup is free on orders $35 and
>> over...Curbside service is available for orders under $35 for a $6.99
>> service fee" and their associates are making a lot more than $6.99 per
>> hour these days.
>>
> You are supposed to "tip" the delivery people. Hadn't you heard? You
> are supposed to tip EVERYBODY at least 50% now. ;)

Well the source I got the above info from said they have a no-tipping
policy, but you can fill out a "customer satisfaction survey" about
your associate and the service you received (as if they'll get a big
raise or bonus something).