From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Foundation
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 20:56:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 20:56 UTC

I've watched the first two episodes, but my impression was not that good
and generally agreed with what I've read of others' impressions (too
much deviation from the books, too much over-the-top oh-we're-so-diverse
with regard to casting and so on, too many parallels with current
events.

Has anyone watched more than two episodes? Do things getter better?
Worse? Stay the same?

Re: Foundation

<9b390345-61e4-474c-b43a-a065baffc66cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2120&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2120

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 06:56:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Foundation
From: pubkeybr...@aol.com (pubkeybreaker)
 by: pubkeybreaker - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 14:56 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 3:56:16 PM UTC-5, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> I've watched the first two episodes, but my impression was not that good
> and generally agreed with what I've read of others' impressions (too
> much deviation from the books, too much over-the-top oh-we're-so-diverse
> with regard to casting and so on, too many parallels with current
> events.
>
> Has anyone watched more than two episodes? Do things getter better?
> Worse? Stay the same?

It gets worse. Much, much worse. It has no relation to the books except some names.
Indeed, it violates core concepts from the books in so many ways that I will not take the
time to relate them.

Re: Foundation

<sn9188$os4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2121&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2121

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 09:25:45 +1300
 by: Your Name - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 20:25 UTC

On 2021-11-19 14:56:22 +0000, pubkeybreaker said:
> On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 3:56:16 PM UTC-5, Phillip Helbig
> (undress to reply) wrote:
>>
>> I've watched the first two episodes, but my impression was not that good
>> and generally agreed with what I've read of others' impressions (too
>> much deviation from the books, too much over-the-top oh-we're-so-diverse
>> with regard to casting and so on, too many parallels with current
>> events.
>>
>> Has anyone watched more than two episodes? Do things getter better?
>> Worse? Stay the same?
>
> It gets worse. Much, much worse. It has no relation to the books
> except some names. Indeed, it violates core concepts from the books in
> so many ways that I will not take the time to relate them.

Nothing new there. It's just standard Hollyweird "based on" operating
procedure. The director and producer always "know better" than the
person who had the actual creative talent to create the original
book/comic/game/show/movie in the first place. :-\

Re: Foundation

<sn91e8$r98$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2122&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2122

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 09:28:56 +1300
 by: Your Name - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 20:28 UTC

On 2021-11-19 20:25:45 +0000, Your Name said:
> On 2021-11-19 14:56:22 +0000, pubkeybreaker said:
>> On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 3:56:16 PM UTC-5, Phillip Helbig
>> (undress to reply) wrote:
>>>
>>> I've watched the first two episodes, but my impression was not that good
>>> and generally agreed with what I've read of others' impressions (too
>>> much deviation from the books, too much over-the-top oh-we're-so-diverse
>>> with regard to casting and so on, too many parallels with current
>>> events.
>>>
>>> Has anyone watched more than two episodes? Do things getter better?
>>> Worse? Stay the same?
>>
>> It gets worse. Much, much worse. It has no relation to the books
>> except some names. Indeed, it violates core concepts from the books in
>> so many ways that I will not take the time to relate them.
>
> Nothing new there. It's just standard Hollyweird "based on" operating
> procedure. The director and producer always "know better" than the
> person who had the actual creative talent to create the original
> book/comic/game/show/movie in the first place. :-\

I forgot ... these days they of course have to appease the "Politically
Correct whiners by fulfilling quotas, which also ruins the ideas of the
original.

Re: Foundation

<sm0pmq121qq.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2231&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2231

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 19:04:45 +0200
sha1:9sMGD01OaQhWfOA0c8K/nvLD/CE=
 by: Anssi Saari - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 17:04 UTC

helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply))
writes:

> Has anyone watched more than two episodes? Do things getter better?
> Worse? Stay the same?

I was reminded of Ursula Leguin calling the filmatization of her
Earthsea books "a generic McMagic movie with a silly plot based on sex
and violence". The Foundation TV show seems like a generic McSciffy. I
have no idea what it's about or where it's going. It's very pretty to be
sure, without a doubt it cost a lot to make. But entertainment value
seems minimal. Writing is generally bad and characters hollow.

Then again, there isn't that much to watch with all the production
delays and cancellations so I think I'll get through it, eventually.

I guess there are a bunch of issues, one of them is that I don't
remember religion featuring heavily (or at all) in the Foundation
books. Or terrorism.

Granted, it's been over thirty years since I read the Foundation books.

Re: Foundation

<8b4e2b24-b904-491e-bc7f-16f73dad88e7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2237&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2237

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:26:21 -0800 (PST)
From: ten...@world.std.com (tenworld)
 by: tenworld - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 18:26 UTC

On Sunday, December 12, 2021 at 12:04:47 PM UTC-5, Anssi Saari wrote:
> hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply))
> writes:
> > Has anyone watched more than two episodes? Do things getter better?
> > Worse? Stay the same?
> I was reminded of Ursula Leguin calling the filmatization of her
> Earthsea books "a generic McMagic movie with a silly plot based on sex
> and violence". The Foundation TV show seems like a generic McSciffy. I
> have no idea what it's about or where it's going. It's very pretty to be
> sure, without a doubt it cost a lot to make. But entertainment value
> seems minimal. Writing is generally bad and characters hollow.
>
> Then again, there isn't that much to watch with all the production
> delays and cancellations so I think I'll get through it, eventually.
>
> I guess there are a bunch of issues, one of them is that I don't
> remember religion featuring heavily (or at all) in the Foundation
> books. Or terrorism.
>
> Granted, it's been over thirty years since I read the Foundation books.

i watched the first episode but my impression was its based more on the non canon prequel
trilogy written by the 3 Bs. They were inconsistent with each other as well as Asimov's actual
books so I think I will pass on this series.