Wherever you go...There you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

arts / rec.arts.tv / Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Superman

SubjectAuthor
* Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Supermananim8rfsk
+* Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Supermananim8rfsk
|`- Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Supermanshawn
`* Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with SupermanBTR1701
 `* Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with SupermanAdam H. Kerman
  `* Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with SupermanBTR1701
   `- Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with SupermanThe Horny Goat

1
Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Superman

<1744249814.722432483.504264.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209739&group=rec.arts.tv#209739

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Superman
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 04:45:35 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 11:45 UTC

The fire stick offered black Friday deals for MAX and STARZ, two months at
$2.50 and $2.99 cancel anytime. So I went for it. Immediately I got
hosed.one of them goes to full price December 22 and the other goes to full
price December 3! Apparently the two months started running sometime ago.

So I am exploring. Max is the ad supported package and comes with about 20
other channels, including HBO. HBO seems to now be all old movies like Doc
Hollywood.

Hey, they have that awful Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie

It immediately offered me Dracula 2000 part three but it turns out you have
to pay Ala carte for Dracula 2000 part one. Snarl. It offered me Dracula
2002 more places but one of them actually played Dracula dead loving it and
the other just some random other movie. Snarl again. All but one of the
Spider-Man movies cost extra. They suggested I watch Spartacus, but only
episode one is free.

The first thing I (tried to) watch was a superhero thing. I never heard of
called FAST COLOR, starring one of the villains from Loki. Unfortunately I
couldn’t turn off the subtitles. Which would be OK if they weren’t the
subtitles for a different movie. Apparently a much better movie. There was
something about a naked lady wearing a parrot hat. I finally managed to get
them switched to Spanish, which was not an improvement and I gave up on the
whole thing.

Another of the channels is DC. There I discovered something I never even
heard of. A one season animated show “My Adventures with Superman”
It stars the guy from Star Trek lower decks as Superman (girls play him
when he’s younger) who is apparently the only white person on the daily
planet. Lois seems to be Asian, although they forget in some scenes and
paint her bright pink (after the first act, they start coloring her bright
yellow) and Jimmy is black and Perry White… Isn’t. Ha ha. Anyway, it’s
played for laughs and not terrible.

Lois is the nasty character played by Noel Neill in the 1950s series,
determined to expose Superman’s secrets to get a scoop and not caring if
she destroys him in the process (maybe she’ll grow out of it). There are
lots and lots of callbacks to the various incarnations of Superman, in
names, in dialogue, in events, in music. There are flash forwards to
invading armadas and dire times ahead (I’m not sure if these are just for
the audience, or if Clark is having precognitive episodes). Lots of fun for
diehard fans.

It goes back-and-forth between the Kent farm and Smallville and Metropolis,
with flashbacks to when Superman was a girl. His ship is huge and hologram
Jor-el has an eyepatch like he was Odin or something.

The weakest part is the animation. As the characters move, the beginning
and end poses which were done by actual artists are fine, but the in
between fill-ins which were just knocked out by hacks in Korea, following
anime, shortcuts, are at best distracting.

I powered through the whole season. 10 episodes. The first 3/4 of it is a
lot of fun. Unfortunately, the end turns dark and grim and goes man of
steel and isn’t fun. It’s just unpleasant.

Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Superman

<175704555.722448323.338236.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209770&group=rec.arts.tv#209770

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Superman
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:07:42 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:07 UTC

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 04:45:35 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> The fire stick offered black Friday deals for MAX and STARZ, two months at
>> $2.50 and $2.99 cancel anytime. So I went for it. Immediately I got
>> hosed.one of them goes to full price December 22 and the other goes to full
>> price December 3! Apparently the two months started running sometime ago.
>
> That shouldn't be allowed. If they are going to advertise two months
> then you should be getting two months. Though I'm sure there was some
> small text somewhere on the page where you bought it that warned you
> of the end date. Something that you wouldn't expect when they
> advertise the two free months.
>
>> So I am exploring. Max is the ad supported package and comes with about 20
>> other channels, including HBO. HBO seems to now be all old movies like Doc
>> Hollywood.
>>
>> Hey, they have that awful Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie
>
> You mean the classic movie with the awesome Paul Reuben's death scene.
>
>> It immediately offered me Dracula 2000 part three but it turns out you have
>> to pay Ala carte for Dracula 2000 part one. Snarl. It offered me Dracula
>> 2002 more places but one of them actually played Dracula dead loving it and
>> the other just some random other movie. Snarl again. All but one of the
>> Spider-Man movies cost extra. They suggested I watch Spartacus, but only
>> episode one is free.
>>
>> The first thing I (tried to) watch was a superhero thing. I never heard of
>> called FAST COLOR, starring one of the villains from Loki. Unfortunately I
>> couldn’t turn off the subtitles. Which would be OK if they weren’t the
>> subtitles for a different movie. Apparently a much better movie. There was
>> something about a naked lady wearing a parrot hat. I finally managed to get
>> them switched to Spanish, which was not an improvement and I gave up on the
>> whole thing.
>
> LOL. I tried looking up "naked lady wearing a pirate hat" and the
> first thing returned was a bit of AI creating images based on the
> words given to it.
> https://playgroundai.com/search?q=porn+star+wearing+a+pirate+hat
>
> The selection of images it generates if you type in "naked lady
> wearing a pirate hat" is bizarre. While there are a few naked lady
> images in the mix there are a number of images that are distinctly not
> that.

PARROT hat!!! :)

I may go back, and if it still has the wrong subtitles, make enough notes
to figure out what the hell it is.

>> Another of the channels is DC. There I discovered something I never even
>> heard of. A one season animated show “My Adventures with Superman”
>> It stars the guy from Star Trek lower decks as Superman (girls play him
>> when he’s younger) who is apparently the only white person on the daily
>> planet. Lois seems to be Asian, although they forget in some scenes and
>> paint her bright pink (after the first act, they start coloring her bright
>> yellow) and Jimmy is black and Perry White… Isn’t. Ha ha. Anyway, it’s
>> played for laughs and not terrible.
>
> Never brought myself to even sample the show. Though I was aware of
> it.

Now I’m watching a green lantern series. I never knew they made!

>> Lois is the nasty character played by Noel Neill in the 1950s series,
>> determined to expose Superman’s secrets to get a scoop and not caring if
>> she destroys him in the process (maybe she’ll grow out of it). There are
>> lots and lots of callbacks to the various incarnations of Superman, in
>> names, in dialogue, in events, in music. There are flash forwards to
>> invading armadas and dire times ahead (I’m not sure if these are just for
>> the audience, or if Clark is having precognitive episodes). Lots of fun for
>> diehard fans.
>>
>> It goes back-and-forth between the Kent farm and Smallville and Metropolis,
>> with flashbacks to when Superman was a girl. His ship is huge and hologram
>> Jor-el has an eyepatch like he was Odin or something.
>>
>> The weakest part is the animation. As the characters move, the beginning
>> and end poses which were done by actual artists are fine, but the in
>> between fill-ins which were just knocked out by hacks in Korea, following
>> anime, shortcuts, are at best distracting.
>>
>> I powered through the whole season. 10 episodes. The first 3/4 of it is a
>> lot of fun. Unfortunately, the end turns dark and grim and goes man of
>> steel and isn’t fun. It’s just unpleasant.

Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Superman

<m8vuli1o0vq7r19p9blsncmbsj2smetlee@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209773&group=rec.arts.tv#209773

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 11:30:58 -0500
 by: shawn - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:30 UTC

On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:07:42 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 04:45:35 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The fire stick offered black Friday deals for MAX and STARZ, two months at
>>> $2.50 and $2.99 cancel anytime. So I went for it. Immediately I got
>>> hosed.one of them goes to full price December 22 and the other goes to full
>>> price December 3! Apparently the two months started running sometime ago.
>>
>> That shouldn't be allowed. If they are going to advertise two months
>> then you should be getting two months. Though I'm sure there was some
>> small text somewhere on the page where you bought it that warned you
>> of the end date. Something that you wouldn't expect when they
>> advertise the two free months.
>>
>>> So I am exploring. Max is the ad supported package and comes with about 20
>>> other channels, including HBO. HBO seems to now be all old movies like Doc
>>> Hollywood.
>>>
>>> Hey, they have that awful Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie
>>
>> You mean the classic movie with the awesome Paul Reuben's death scene.
>>
>>> It immediately offered me Dracula 2000 part three but it turns out you have
>>> to pay Ala carte for Dracula 2000 part one. Snarl. It offered me Dracula
>>> 2002 more places but one of them actually played Dracula dead loving it and
>>> the other just some random other movie. Snarl again. All but one of the
>>> Spider-Man movies cost extra. They suggested I watch Spartacus, but only
>>> episode one is free.
>>>
>>> The first thing I (tried to) watch was a superhero thing. I never heard of
>>> called FAST COLOR, starring one of the villains from Loki. Unfortunately I
>>> couldn’t turn off the subtitles. Which would be OK if they weren’t the
>>> subtitles for a different movie. Apparently a much better movie. There was
>>> something about a naked lady wearing a parrot hat. I finally managed to get
>>> them switched to Spanish, which was not an improvement and I gave up on the
>>> whole thing.

It does have a few actors I know. Lorraine Toussaint is okay in the
modern version of THE EQUALIZER. Gugu gaga Mbatha-Raw is well known
from LOKI and other shows. Of David Strathairn has done wonderful work
over the years from THE EXPANSE to ALPHAS and many more shows and
movies. Just caught him the other day in TALKING WITH GOD. Not sure
the movie would have worked without him.

"Hunted by mysterious forces, a young woman who has supernatural
abilities must go on the run when her powers are discovered. With
nowhere else to go, she flees back to her family and the farmhouse she
abandoned long ago."

>> LOL. I tried looking up "naked lady wearing a pirate hat" and the
>> first thing returned was a bit of AI creating images based on the
>> words given to it.
>> https://playgroundai.com/search?q=porn+star+wearing+a+pirate+hat
>>
>> The selection of images it generates if you type in "naked lady
>> wearing a pirate hat" is bizarre. While there are a few naked lady
>> images in the mix there are a number of images that are distinctly not
>> that.
>
>PARROT hat!!! :)

Yeah, but parrot hat doesn't even give images with a parrot hat. It
gets a few images with a parrot in it but that's about it. Though the
parrot bikers are interesting.

>I may go back, and if it still has the wrong subtitles, make enough notes
>to figure out what the hell it is.
>

>>> Another of the channels is DC. There I discovered something I never even
>>> heard of. A one season animated show “My Adventures with Superman”
>>> It stars the guy from Star Trek lower decks as Superman (girls play him
>>> when he’s younger) who is apparently the only white person on the daily
>>> planet. Lois seems to be Asian, although they forget in some scenes and
>>> paint her bright pink (after the first act, they start coloring her bright
>>> yellow) and Jimmy is black and Perry White… Isn’t. Ha ha. Anyway, it’s
>>> played for laughs and not terrible.
>>
>> Never brought myself to even sample the show. Though I was aware of
>> it.
>
>Now I’m watching a green lantern series. I never knew they made!
>

>>> Lois is the nasty character played by Noel Neill in the 1950s series,
>>> determined to expose Superman’s secrets to get a scoop and not caring if
>>> she destroys him in the process (maybe she’ll grow out of it). There are
>>> lots and lots of callbacks to the various incarnations of Superman, in
>>> names, in dialogue, in events, in music. There are flash forwards to
>>> invading armadas and dire times ahead (I’m not sure if these are just for
>>> the audience, or if Clark is having precognitive episodes). Lots of fun for
>>> diehard fans.
>>>
>>> It goes back-and-forth between the Kent farm and Smallville and Metropolis,
>>> with flashbacks to when Superman was a girl. His ship is huge and hologram
>>> Jor-el has an eyepatch like he was Odin or something.
>>>
>>> The weakest part is the animation. As the characters move, the beginning
>>> and end poses which were done by actual artists are fine, but the in
>>> between fill-ins which were just knocked out by hacks in Korea, following
>>> anime, shortcuts, are at best distracting.
>>>
>>> I powered through the whole season. 10 episodes. The first 3/4 of it is a
>>> lot of fun. Unfortunately, the end turns dark and grim and goes man of
>>> steel and isn’t fun. It’s just unpleasant.

Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Superman

<atropos-853494.12523023112023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209807&group=rec.arts.tv#209807

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 12:52:30 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 20:52 UTC

In article <arnulilu1gqrb95kuu02sfjkbqmafdu095@4ax.com>,

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 04:45:35 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:

> >The first thing I (tried to) watch was a superhero thing. I never heard of
> >called FAST COLOR, starring one of the villains from Loki. Unfortunately I
> >couldn’t turn off the subtitles. Which would be OK if they weren’t the
> >subtitles for a different movie. Apparently a much better movie. There was
> >something about a naked lady wearing a parrot hat. I finally managed to get
> >them switched to Spanish, which was not an improvement and I gave up on the
> >whole thing.
>
> LOL. I tried looking up "naked lady wearing a pirate hat" and the
> first thing returned was a bit of AI creating images based on the
> words given to it.
> https://playgroundai.com/search?q=porn+star+wearing+a+pirate+hat
>
> The selection of images it generates if you type in "naked lady
> wearing a pirate hat" is bizarre.

I would think the top hits would be from that big budget porn flick
(yes, big budget) from around 2005 or so called PIRATES: STAGNETTI'S
REVENGE. Starring Riley Steele (of PIRHANA 3D fame), Jesse Jane, and
Sasha Gray. It was basically a porn version of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN.
Lots of naked girls in pirate hats in that one.

Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Superman

<ujoqk6$21bmk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209836&group=rec.arts.tv#209836

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 00:26:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 00:26 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>In article <arnulilu1gqrb95kuu02sfjkbqmafdu095@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 04:45:35 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>
>> >The first thing I (tried to) watch was a superhero thing. I never heard of
>> >called FAST COLOR, starring one of the villains from Loki. Unfortunately I
>> >couldn’t turn off the subtitles. Which would be OK if they weren’t the
>> >subtitles for a different movie. Apparently a much better movie. There was
>> >something about a naked lady wearing a parrot hat. I finally managed to get
>> >them switched to Spanish, which was not an improvement and I gave up on the
>> >whole thing.
>>
>> LOL. I tried looking up "naked lady wearing a pirate hat" and the
>> first thing returned was a bit of AI creating images based on the
>> words given to it.
>> https://playgroundai.com/search?q=porn+star+wearing+a+pirate+hat
>>
>> The selection of images it generates if you type in "naked lady
>> wearing a pirate hat" is bizarre.
>
>I would think the top hits would be from that big budget porn flick
>(yes, big budget) from around 2005 or so called PIRATES: STAGNETTI'S
>REVENGE. Starring Riley Steele (of PIRHANA 3D fame), Jesse Jane, and
>Sasha Gray. It was basically a porn version of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN.
>Lots of naked girls in pirate hats in that one.

With no costumes how big could the production budget have been?

Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Superman

<atropos-C73496.17545123112023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209838&group=rec.arts.tv#209838

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 17:54:51 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 01:54 UTC

In article <ujoqk6$21bmk$1@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> >In article <arnulilu1gqrb95kuu02sfjkbqmafdu095@4ax.com>,
> > shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

> >> LOL. I tried looking up "naked lady wearing a pirate hat" and the
> >> first thing returned was a bit of AI creating images based on the
> >> words given to it.
> >> https://playgroundai.com/search?q=porn+star+wearing+a+pirate+hat
> >>
> >> The selection of images it generates if you type in "naked lady
> >> wearing a pirate hat" is bizarre.
> >
> >I would think the top hits would be from that big budget porn flick
> >(yes, big budget) from around 2005 or so called PIRATES: STAGNETTI'S
> >REVENGE. Starring Riley Steele (of PIRHANA 3D fame), Jesse Jane, and
> >Sasha Gray. It was basically a porn version of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN.
> >Lots of naked girls in pirate hats in that one.
>
> With no costumes how big could the production budget have been?

Just the hats. Those were some nice hats.

Re: Starz, Max, and My Adventures with Superman

<k2k2mi50skfomnc3jpubdcmjakhlk28aqe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209940&group=rec.arts.tv#209940

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:40:15 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 01:40 UTC

On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 17:54:51 -0800, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <ujoqk6$21bmk$1@dont-email.me>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> >In article <arnulilu1gqrb95kuu02sfjkbqmafdu095@4ax.com>,
>> > shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> >
>> With no costumes how big could the production budget have been?
>
>Just the hats. Those were some nice hats.

Presumably they had to provide hangers to hang their street clothes on
after disrobing for their acting...