Not all who own a harp are harpers. -- Marcus Terentius Varro

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives MatterEd Stasiak
`* Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives MatterBTR1701
 +- Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives MatterThe Horny Goat
 `* Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives MatterAdam H. Kerman
  `* Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives MatterIan J. Ball
   +- Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives MatterAdam H. Kerman
   +* Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Mattershawn
   |`* Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives MatterAdam H. Kerman
   | `- Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Mattershawn
   `- Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matteranim8rfsk

1
[OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter

<c18bd9db-c70e-4a38-a47c-5d3a8319e300n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210440&group=rec.arts.tv#210440

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:21:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:21 UTC

https://www.foxnews.com/world/irish-lives-matter-graffiti-belfast-signs-against-rehousing-illegal-migrants-spark-hate-probe-report.amp
November 29, 2023

'Irish Lives Matter' graffiti in Belfast, signs against 'rehousing' illegal migrants spark hate probe: report
One UK politician deemed the term 'Irish Lives Matter' a 'racist slogan'

The message "Irish Lives Matter" scrawled in Belfast, Northern Ireland, as well as a sign posted saying one neighborhood would "no longer accept the rehousing of illegal immigrants" are reportedly being investigated by local police as hate-related incidents. The BBC, which also shared photos of the messaging, first reported about the investigation Wednesday.

People Before Profit's Gerry Carroll, whose social media profile contains various images showing support for the Black Lives Matter movement, condemned the incident in a statement.

"Vile, intimidatory signs were erected in the Suffolk area calling for immigrants not to be housed there. Meanwhile, ‘Irish Lives Matter,’ was scrawled on a wall at the Kennedy Centre on Falls Road overnight," Carroll wrote. "Nefarious and far-right elements are seeking to blame migrants, asylum seekers, and refugees for the problems caused by the rich and governments who protect and bolster corporate profits at all costs."

"We are under no illusions that 'Irish Lives Matter' is a racist slogan which is directly counterpoised to movements against the oppression faced by black people and other ethnic minorities," he said. "In recent days we have seen the chilling effect that the growth and intervention of far-right forces in the South can have on communities who are marginalized," Carroll added, referring to the riots that unfolded across Dublin, the capital of the Republic of Ireland, in response to the stabbing of several people, including a woman and three children, outside a primary school in the city center. Local reports identified the suspect as an Algerian man who had become an Irish citizen after living on welfare in the country for decades.

Sinn Féin MP Paul Maskey condemned the signs as "disgraceful," claiming they had been "erected in an attempt to create fear and intimidate people," the BBC reported.

A BBC photo of one sign posted in the Tildarg Avenue area had a word blurred out, but the outlet said it displayed an "an offensive term while referring to ‘other communities’."

"Political and community leaders must stand together to continue building a safe, welcoming and inclusive society for all," Maskey said.

In response to the Dublin riots, fueled by concerns over mass immigration into the country battling a housing and cost-of-living crisis, Irish Prime Minister (Taoiseach) Leo Varadkar vowed to "modernize laws against hatred," pushing legislation widely considered by critics as a radical affront to free speech.

The proposed anti-hate law notably criminalizes the possession of material "likely to incite violence or hatred," and could reportedly punish individuals for merely having memes saved to their phones that some may consider politically offensive.

Meanwhile, the streets of Belfast, a part of the United Kingdom, have been photographed with murals, flags and graffiti in support of Palestinians in recent weeks amid the Israel-Hamas war. Some of the signage contains messages calling for a ceasefire in Gaza, and one mural even displays the antisemitic slogan, "from the river to the sea," calling for the annihilation of Israel, painted along the same Falls Road in Belfast where the "Irish Lives Matter" message was also found.

Earlier this month, Britain’s interior minister accused the country’s largest police force of being more lenient toward pro-Palestinian demonstrators than other groups, deepening a political feud sparked by the Israel-Hamas war. In a highly unusual attack on the police, Home Secretary Suella Braverman said London’s Metropolitan Police force was ignoring lawbreaking by "pro-Palestinian mobs," decrying demonstrators calling for a cease-fire in Gaza as "hate marchers."

Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter

<atropos-2E0F48.13503630112023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210478&group=rec.arts.tv#210478

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:50:36 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 21:50 UTC

In article <c18bd9db-c70e-4a38-a47c-5d3a8319e300n@googlegroups.com>,
Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.foxnews.com/world/irish-lives-matter-graffiti-belfast-signs-agains
> t-rehousing-illegal-migrants-spark-hate-probe-report.amp
> November 29, 2023
>
> 'Irish Lives Matter' graffiti in Belfast, signs against 'rehousing' illegal
> migrants spark hate probe: report One UK politician deemed the term 'Irish
> Lives Matter' a 'racist slogan'

A pattern emerging worldwide. A country is purposely flooded with
immigrants who have no desire to adopt their new country's culture and
values-- indeed, they often vocally oppose them-- and the country's
native population is vilified by their own government for objecting to
it.

Apparently only some cultures are worthy of preservation and which is
which seems to be determined by the melanin level of the members of a
culture.

> Sinn Féin MP Paul Maskey condemned the signs as "disgraceful," claiming they
> had been "erected in an attempt to create fear and intimidate people," the
> BBC reported.

Holy shit, even Sinn Fein has gone woke.

> into the country battling a housing and cost-of-living crisis, Irish Prime
> Minister (Taoiseach) Leo Varadkar vowed to "modernize laws against hatred,"
> pushing legislation widely considered by critics as a radical affront to free
> speech.
>
> The proposed anti-hate law notably criminalizes the possession of material
> "likely to incite violence or hatred," and could reportedly punish
> individuals for merely having memes saved to their phones that some may
> consider politically offensive.

They have time to police offensive memes but if you're assaulted,
burgled, or robbed, the cops plead lack of manpower to properly
investigate your case.

> Meanwhile, the streets of Belfast, a part of the United Kingdom, have been
> photographed with murals, flags and graffiti in support of Palestinians in
> recent weeks amid the Israel-Hamas war. Some of the signage contains messages
> calling for a ceasefire in Gaza, and one mural even displays the antisemitic
> slogan, "from the river to the sea," calling for the annihilation of Israel,
> painted along the same Falls Road in Belfast where the "Irish Lives Matter"
> message was also found.

But that's okay, you see, because of the melanin test. Palestinians are
brown, native Irish are white. So racist graffiti by Palestinians
receive no government scrutiny while even non-racist slogans by actual
Irish citizens is condemned and prosecuted.

Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter

<5meimihuta5eqp4nm1svvl5cf9gomk0d8b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210486&group=rec.arts.tv#210486

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:52:38 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 01:52 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:50:36 -0800, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <c18bd9db-c70e-4a38-a47c-5d3a8319e300n@googlegroups.com>,
> Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.foxnews.com/world/irish-lives-matter-graffiti-belfast-signs-agains
>> t-rehousing-illegal-migrants-spark-hate-probe-report.amp
>> November 29, 2023
>>
>> 'Irish Lives Matter' graffiti in Belfast, signs against 'rehousing' illegal
>> migrants spark hate probe: report One UK politician deemed the term 'Irish
>> Lives Matter' a 'racist slogan'
>
>A pattern emerging worldwide. A country is purposely flooded with
>immigrants who have no desire to adopt their new country's culture and
>values-- indeed, they often vocally oppose them-- and the country's
>native population is vilified by their own government for objecting to
>it.
>
>Apparently only some cultures are worthy of preservation and which is
>which seems to be determined by the melanin level of the members of a
>culture.
>
>> Sinn Féin MP Paul Maskey condemned the signs as "disgraceful," claiming they
>> had been "erected in an attempt to create fear and intimidate people," the
>> BBC reported.
>
>Holy shit, even Sinn Fein has gone woke.

Who woulda thunk it right? When I was there in 2016 one would think
the ONLY people the Sinn Feiners disliked were the Prods. (And when we
were there we took a cab tour - it turned out during our tour that the
guide was ex-IRA as in 'did jail time with the IRA') and our tour
included both the Falls Road and the Shankill Road (both of which we
walked on) generally considered the core areas of the two sides - and
the area of Belfast shown in that video is definitely Belfast but NOT
either of those two streets which are both either single family homes
or 3-4 storey low-rises depending on where on the road you are except
for one 13 storey tower on the Falls Road)

For the record, like many other UK cities downtown Belfast appeared
rather cosmopolitain though mostly Irish folks on the one hand and
southern Europeans on the other - plus a good dose of North Americans
and Europeans who were clearly tourists in the downtown area which
that film clip definitely was.

I had a good time there and both learned a lot and felt "plugged in"
to my heritage (e.g. both my mother's parents were born there).

Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter

<ukbgap$1jii1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210492&group=rec.arts.tv#210492

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 02:27:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 02:27 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

>>https://www.foxnews.com/world/irish-lives-matter-graffiti-belfast-signs-against-rehousing-illegal-migrants-spark-hate-probe-report.amp

>>November 29, 2023

>>'Irish Lives Matter' graffiti in Belfast, signs against 'rehousing' illegal
>>migrants spark hate probe: report One UK politician deemed the term 'Irish
>>Lives Matter' a 'racist slogan'

Hey, Ed, this must have gotten caught in spam countermeasures versus
that massive massive massive amount of spam originating at Google
Groups. It wasn't on eternal-september or any server that processes the
NoCeMs. Ed, you have got to subscribe to a genuine News server.

Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter

<ukbqfl$1om8m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210496&group=rec.arts.tv#210496

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 21:20:53 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 05:20 UTC

On 11/30/23 6:27 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> https://www.foxnews.com/world/irish-lives-matter-graffiti-belfast-signs-against-rehousing-illegal-migrants-spark-hate-probe-report.amp
>
>>> November 29, 2023
>
>>> 'Irish Lives Matter' graffiti in Belfast, signs against 'rehousing' illegal
>>> migrants spark hate probe: report One UK politician deemed the term 'Irish
>>> Lives Matter' a 'racist slogan'
>
> Hey, Ed, this must have gotten caught in spam countermeasures versus
> that massive massive massive amount of spam originating at Google
> Groups. It wasn't on eternal-september or any server that processes the
> NoCeMs. Ed, you have got to subscribe to a genuine News server.

More concerning is that this is also affecting Robin's posts, which also
didn't show up on ES last time...

Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter

<ukbrui$1opf2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210497&group=rec.arts.tv#210497

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 05:45:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 05:45 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 11/30/23 6:27 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>Hey, Ed, this must have gotten caught in spam countermeasures versus
>>that massive massive massive amount of spam originating at Google
>>Groups. It wasn't on eternal-september or any server that processes the
>>NoCeMs. Ed, you have got to subscribe to a genuine News server.

>More concerning is that this is also affecting Robin's posts, which also
>didn't show up on ES last time...

I'm not aware that she uses Google Groups, so she's not affected by the
NoCeMs. Ray isn't the only one issuing them.

Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter

<123jmipl1kms9sfb9auj4srakac0uvtsds@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210501&group=rec.arts.tv#210501

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 02:36:28 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 07:36 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 21:20:53 -0800, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 11/30/23 6:27 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>> Hey, Ed, this must have gotten caught in spam countermeasures versus
>> that massive massive massive amount of spam originating at Google
>> Groups. It wasn't on eternal-september or any server that processes the
>> NoCeMs. Ed, you have got to subscribe to a genuine News server.
>
>More concerning is that this is also affecting Robin's posts, which also
>didn't show up on ES last time...

I wonder if ES is filtering on those special characters now for
incoming posts from other news servers? I noticed when I switched over
that I couldn't use the Subject in a response if the OP had used one
of those special characters. Instead I would have to replace a special
quote or double quote character with a standard ASCII version. Then ES
would accept the post.

So if ES was to have the same filtering in place for incoming posts
from other news servers that might explain why Robin's post didn't
make it to the server.

Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter

<681332285.723122021.611648.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210504&group=rec.arts.tv#210504

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 04:20:38 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 11:20 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 11/30/23 6:27 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>> Hey, Ed, this must have gotten caught in spam countermeasures versus
>> that massive massive massive amount of spam originating at Google
>> Groups. It wasn't on eternal-september or any server that processes the
>> NoCeMs. Ed, you have got to subscribe to a genuine News server.
>
> More concerning is that this is also affecting Robin's posts, which also
> didn't show up on ES last time...

I finally got Ed whitelisted (the fault was on my end.), but I never got
the last WDYW from Ubi which is why he tagged me so I could reply about
NCIS love, Sydney

Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter

<ukcvu4$1tuh9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210519&group=rec.arts.tv#210519

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:00:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:00 UTC

>I wonder if ES is filtering on those special characters now for
>incoming posts from other news servers? I noticed when I switched over
>that I couldn't use the Subject in a response if the OP had used one
>of those special characters. Instead I would have to replace a special
>quote or double quote character with a standard ASCII version. Then ES
>would accept the post.

Can you be very specific? Tell me the Message-ID of the article you
followed up to.

The standard requires encoding of non-ASCII characters on Subject.
Several users in this newsgroup have used newsreaders that decode the
encoded character to display to the user during composing of the proto
article, but fail to re-encoded the non-ASCII character before
submitting it for injection. As it's nonstandard, the server MUST reject
the proto article.

Regardless, yes, you should substitute ASCII for non-ASCII wherever
possible given the number of newsreaders that mishandle these
characters.

>So if ES was to have the same filtering in place for incoming posts
>from other news servers that might explain why Robin's post didn't
>make it to the server.

If it's unencoded received from another server? In the past, these have
been accepted. I don't think it's changed. If it's encoded, it's not
nonstandard.

Again, if there are false positives, it's not helpful to tell me that a
post is missing. You MUST tell me the Message-ID of the missing post so
I can point it out to Ray. It's appended last on the References header.

Re: [OT] (Racist) Irish Lives Matter

<km6kmi50orcqe7privss00qis5abgms4co@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210526&group=rec.arts.tv#210526

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 12:49:18 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 17:49 UTC

On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:00:04 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>>I wonder if ES is filtering on those special characters now for
>>incoming posts from other news servers? I noticed when I switched over
>>that I couldn't use the Subject in a response if the OP had used one
>>of those special characters. Instead I would have to replace a special
>>quote or double quote character with a standard ASCII version. Then ES
>>would accept the post.
>
>Can you be very specific? Tell me the Message-ID of the article you
>followed up to.

I can't at the moment as it's been at least a few weeks since I ran
into it. I do remember that it was in posts coming from Robin/Anim.
As I recall the Subject contained the special single quote. Once I
replaced the special single quote in the Subject with an ASCII single
quote the ES server accepted the post.

Ah, you are in luck. I thought I would take a look in the Trash folder
that Agent contains and found a message that gave me an error. As you
can see this one has the smart double quotes which ES refuses to
accept in the Subject.

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: “The Expanse” authors announcing a new scifi series tomorrow
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 19:11:02 -0600