He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom. -- J.R.R. Tolkien

arts / rec.arts.tv / "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming

SubjectAuthor
* "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They SufUbiquitous
+* Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming TheyBTR1701
|`* Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit AftermoviePig
| +* Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming TheyBTR1701
| |`* Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit AftermoviePig
| | `* Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming TheyBTR1701
| |  `- Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit AftermoviePig
| `- Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit AfterUbiquitous
`- Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit AfterRhino

1
"Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming

<ukq3su$qho7$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210962&group=rec.arts.tv#210962

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.game-shows,alt.tv.reality,alt.whine
Subject: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 10:26:49 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 15:26 UTC

Squid Game: The Challenge contestants are threatening legal action against
Netflix and producers after claiming they were injured during the filming of
the game show.

A British personal injuries law firm is representing two unnamed players who
say they suffered hypothermia and nerve damage while shooting in cold
conditions in the UK.

Express Solicitors said in a press statement that it had sent letters of
claim to Studio Lambert, the co-producer of Netflix�s Squid Game: The
Challenge.

'Too Hot To Handle'

The contestants� allegations concern their experience shooting the show�s
opening game �Red Light, Green Light,� in which players must evade the
attention of a menacing robotic doll.

The game was filmed at Cardington Studios, a former Royal Air Force base in
Bedford, during a cold snap in Britain. Netflix confirmed at the time that
three of 456 players required medical attention.

Express Solicitors, which specializes in no win no fee claims, said its
clients risked their health by having to stay motionless for long periods
during the shoot as they attempted to stay in the competition.

Daniel Slade, CEO of Express Solicitors, said: �We recognise people may see
this as a classic David and Goliath battle with the company and its
production partners.

�Contestants thought they were taking part in something fun and those
injured did not expect to suffer as they did. Now they have been left with
injuries after spending time being stuck in painful stress positions in cold
temperatures.�

A spokesperson for Squid Game: The Challenge said: �No lawsuit has been
filed by any of the Squid Game contestants. We take the welfare of our
contestants extremely seriously.�

Deadline reported in February that Squid Game: The Challenge faced an
independent safety inspection after the medical incidents on set.

Britain�s Health and Safety Executive � or HSE as it is more commonly
known � reminded producers to plan properly for risk on the re-creation of
the blockbuster Korean drama, but ultimately decided that no further action
was necessary.

Squid Game: The Challenge premiered on Thursday.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming

<atropos-64973F.11002806122023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210976&group=rec.arts.tv#210976

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.game-shows,alt.tv.reality,alt.whine
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 11:00:28 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 19:00 UTC

In article <ukq3su$qho7$3@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> SQUID GAME: THE CHALLENGE contestants are threatening legal action against
> Netflix and producers after claiming they were injured during the filming of
> the game show.
>
> A British personal injuries law firm is representing two unnamed players who
> say they suffered hypothermia and nerve damage while shooting in cold
> conditions in the UK.
>
> Express Solicitors said in a press statement that it had sent letters of
> claim to Studio Lambert, the co-producer of Netflix's SQUID GAME: THE
> CHALLENGE.

> The contestants� allegations concern their experience shooting the show's
> opening game 'Red Light, Green Light'� in which players must evade the
> attention of a menacing robotic doll.
>
> The game was filmed at Cardington Studios, a former Royal Air Force base in
> Bedford, during a cold snap in Britain. Netflix confirmed at the time that
> three of 456 players required medical attention.
>
> Express Solicitors, which specializes in no win no fee claims, said its
> clients risked their health by having to stay motionless for long periods
> during the shoot as they attempted to stay in the competition.

So it was *their* choice to remain motionless in the cold because they
wanted money. They could have moved and mitigated their injuries at any
time but they chose not to. How is this the problem of the production
company?

Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming

<mT3cN.317796$wvv7.125569@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210977&group=rec.arts.tv#210977

Subject: Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After
Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.game-shows,alt.tv.reality,alt.whine
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 14:24:00 -0500
 by: moviePig - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 19:24 UTC

On 12/6/2023 2:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <ukq3su$qho7$3@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> SQUID GAME: THE CHALLENGE contestants are threatening legal action against
>> Netflix and producers after claiming they were injured during the filming of
>> the game show.
>>
>> A British personal injuries law firm is representing two unnamed players who
>> say they suffered hypothermia and nerve damage while shooting in cold
>> conditions in the UK.
>>
>> Express Solicitors said in a press statement that it had sent letters of
>> claim to Studio Lambert, the co-producer of Netflix's SQUID GAME: THE
>> CHALLENGE.
>
>> The contestants’ allegations concern their experience shooting the show's
>> opening game 'Red Light, Green Light'’ in which players must evade the
>> attention of a menacing robotic doll.
>>
>> The game was filmed at Cardington Studios, a former Royal Air Force base in
>> Bedford, during a cold snap in Britain. Netflix confirmed at the time that
>> three of 456 players required medical attention.
>>
>> Express Solicitors, which specializes in no win no fee claims, said its
>> clients risked their health by having to stay motionless for long periods
>> during the shoot as they attempted to stay in the competition.
>
> So it was *their* choice to remain motionless in the cold because they
> wanted money. They could have moved and mitigated their injuries at any
> time but they chose not to. How is this the problem of the production
> company?

I seem to recall laws against paying someone to self-harm.

Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming

<atropos-CAEF21.12470706122023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210988&group=rec.arts.tv#210988

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.game-shows,alt.tv.reality,alt.whine
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 12:47:07 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:47 UTC

In article <mT3cN.317796$wvv7.125569@fx14.iad>,
moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 12/6/2023 2:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > In article <ukq3su$qho7$3@dont-email.me>,
> > Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> >
> >> SQUID GAME: THE CHALLENGE contestants are threatening legal action against
> >> Netflix and producers after claiming they were injured during the filming
> >> of the game show.
> >>
> >> A British personal injuries law firm is representing two unnamed players
> >> who say they suffered hypothermia and nerve damage while shooting in cold
> >> conditions in the UK.
> >>
> >> Express Solicitors said in a press statement that it had sent letters of
> >> claim to Studio Lambert, the co-producer of Netflix's SQUID GAME: THE
> >> CHALLENGE.
> >
> >> The contestants’ allegations concern their experience shooting the show's
> >> opening game 'Red Light, Green Light', in which players must evade the
> >> attention of a menacing robotic doll.
> >>
> >> The game was filmed at Cardington Studios, a former Royal Air Force base
> >> in Bedford, during a cold snap in Britain. Netflix confirmed at the time
> >> that three of 456 players required medical attention.
> >>
> >> Express Solicitors, which specializes in no win no fee claims, said its
> >> clients risked their health by having to stay motionless for long periods
> >> during the shoot as they attempted to stay in the competition.
> >
> > So it was *their* choice to remain motionless in the cold because they
> > wanted money. They could have moved and mitigated their injuries at any
> > time but they chose not to. How is this the problem of the production
> > company?
>
> I seem to recall laws against paying someone to self-harm.

(1) Code title and section?

(2) The NFL is legal. Boxing and UFC is legal. Etc.

Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming

<LF5cN.59949$Jbsd.3704@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210990&group=rec.arts.tv#210990

Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.game-shows,alt.tv.reality,alt.whine
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 16:26:02 -0500
 by: moviePig - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 21:26 UTC

On 12/6/2023 3:47 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <mT3cN.317796$wvv7.125569@fx14.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/6/2023 2:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> So it was *their* choice to remain motionless in the cold because they
>>> wanted money. They could have moved and mitigated their injuries at any
>>> time but they chose not to. How is this the problem of the production
>>> company?
>>
>> I seem to recall laws against paying someone to self-harm.
>
> (1) Code title and section?
>
> (2) The NFL is legal. Boxing and UFC is legal. Etc.

This is the best I got from Google:

----------------
In order to use the assumption of risk defense successfully, the
defendant[TV show] must demonstrate the following:

The plaintiff[contestant] had actual knowledge of the risk
involved; and
The plaintiff voluntarily accepted the risk, either expressly
through agreement or implied by their words or conduct.

https://www.justia.com/injury/negligence-theory/assumption-of-risk/
----------------

So, the question would seem to be whether the contestant knew (or should
have known) the risk of injuries beyond what they felt moment-to-moment.

Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming

<atropos-ECD003.14172806122023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210992&group=rec.arts.tv#210992

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.game-shows,alt.tv.reality,alt.whine
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 14:17:29 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 22:17 UTC

In article <LF5cN.59949$Jbsd.3704@fx03.iad>,
moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 12/6/2023 3:47 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > In article <mT3cN.317796$wvv7.125569@fx14.iad>,
> > moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> >> I seem to recall laws against paying someone to self-harm.
> >
> > (1) Code title and section?
> >
> > (2) The NFL is legal. Boxing and UFC is legal. Etc.
>
> This is the best I got from Google:
>
> ----------------
> In order to use the assumption of risk defense successfully, the
> defendant[TV show] must demonstrate the following:
>
> The plaintiff[contestant] had actual knowledge of the risk
> involved; and
> The plaintiff voluntarily accepted the risk, either expressly
> through agreement or implied by their words or conduct.
>
> https://www.justia.com/injury/negligence-theory/assumption-of-risk/
> ----------------
>
> So, the question would seem to be whether the contestant knew (or should
> have known) the risk of injuries beyond what they felt moment-to-moment.

Contestants on reality shows are warned in a hundred different ways of
risk of injury, even death, and are aware of it and accept the risk.
Couple that with the fact that they can literally walk away at any time
if they're uncomfortable or hurting, anything that happened to these
people was a result of their choice. No one was forcing them to do
anything.

Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming

<E_acN.216674$svP4.208674@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=210999&group=rec.arts.tv#210999

Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.game-shows,alt.tv.reality,alt.whine
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 22:29:40 -0500
 by: moviePig - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 03:29 UTC

On 12/6/2023 5:17 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <LF5cN.59949$Jbsd.3704@fx03.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/6/2023 3:47 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> (1) Code title and section?
>>>
>>> (2) The NFL is legal. Boxing and UFC is legal. Etc.
>>
>> This is the best I got from Google:
>>
>> ----------------
>> In order to use the assumption of risk defense successfully, the
>> defendant[TV show] must demonstrate the following:
>>
>> The plaintiff[contestant] had actual knowledge of the risk
>> involved; and
>> The plaintiff voluntarily accepted the risk, either expressly
>> through agreement or implied by their words or conduct.
>>
>> https://www.justia.com/injury/negligence-theory/assumption-of-risk/
>> ----------------
>>
>> So, the question would seem to be whether the contestant knew (or should
>> have known) the risk of injuries beyond what they felt moment-to-moment.
>
> Contestants on reality shows are warned in a hundred different ways of
> risk of injury, even death, and are aware of it and accept the risk.
> Couple that with the fact that they can literally walk away at any time
> if they're uncomfortable or hurting, anything that happened to these
> people was a result of their choice. No one was forcing them to do
> anything.

The contestants are claiming "hypothermia and nerve damage", which I'll
assume can have lasting effects not necessarily apparent at the time of
injury -- which I doubt any signed waivers will have named explicitly.
Meanwhile, the grandfathered NFL and UFC notwithstanding, I'm pretty
sure you can't pay someone to effectively commit suicide. My guess is
that the producers will pony up some bucks (admittedly proving nothing).

Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming

<ukscjs$18hr1$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=211010&group=rec.arts.tv#211010

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.game-shows,alt.tv.reality,alt.whine
Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 04:30:42 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 09:30 UTC

In article <mT3cN.317796$wvv7.125569@fx14.iad>, pwallace@moviepig.com wrote:
> On 12/6/2023 2:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> SQUID GAME: THE CHALLENGE contestants are threatening legal action
>>> against Netflix and producers after claiming they were injured during
>>> the filming of the game show.
>>>
>>> A British personal injuries law firm is representing two unnamed players
>>> who say they suffered hypothermia and nerve damage while shooting in cold
>>> conditions in the UK.
>>>
>>> Express Solicitors said in a press statement that it had sent letters of
>>> claim to Studio Lambert, the co-producer of Netflix's SQUID GAME: THE
>>> CHALLENGE.
>>
>>> The contestants' allegations concern their experience shooting the show's
>>> opening game 'Red Light, Green Light'’ in which players must evade the
>>> attention of a menacing robotic doll.
>>>
>>> The game was filmed at Cardington Studios, a former Royal Air Force base
>>> in Bedford, during a cold snap in Britain. Netflix confirmed at the time
>>> that three of 456 players required medical attention.
>>>
>>> Express Solicitors, which specializes in no win no fee claims, said its
>>> clients risked their health by having to stay motionless for long periods
>>> during the shoot as they attempted to stay in the competition.
>>
>> So it was *their* choice to remain motionless in the cold because they
>> wanted money. They could have moved and mitigated their injuries at any
>> time but they chose not to. How is this the problem of the production
>> company?
>
> I seem to recall laws against paying someone to self-harm.

Reality show contracts are notariously ironclad in this regard.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: "Squid Game: The Challenge" Contestants Threaten Lawsuit After Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming

<20231208141838.00000018@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=211069&group=rec.arts.tv#211069

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.game-shows,alt.tv.reality,alt.whine
Claiming They Suffered Hypothermia & Nerve Damage During Filming
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 14:18:38 -0500
 by: Rhino - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 19:18 UTC

On Wed, 06 Dec 2023 10:26:49 -0500
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> Squid Game: The Challenge contestants are threatening legal action
> against Netflix and producers after claiming they were injured during
> the filming of the game show.
>
> A British personal injuries law firm is representing two unnamed
> players who say they suffered hypothermia and nerve damage while
> shooting in cold conditions in the UK.

"Cold conditions"? In the London area? They're joking, right? It's
almost never cold enough to snow in that part of the world and that
means it's really not that cold, at least by Canadian standards. (The
Brits still remember the year that the Thames froze solid and that was
in the mid-1600s if I recall correctly; I'm not sure if it has
happened since then.) I don't even put on my winter coat unless it goes
below freezing and even then I won't even zip it up if it's close to
freezing; it has to get a good bit colder than that before I zip it up.

I still remember my first visit to London in 1983. BBC Radio said that
it was the hottest, driest summer in 200 years. By Canadian standards
it was NOT remotely hot. (It helped that humidity was negligible.)

Mind you, I remember my one visit to LA in 1992, six months after the
Rodney King riots, and the day I went to a taping of Wings, it was 79
in Santa Monica and 107 in the Valley. I stood outside the studio for a
couple of hours waiting to see the taping and it honestly wasn't
uncomfortable given the lack of humidity.

--
Rhino