From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Prepare for the next extension of term of copyright
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 20:33:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 20:33 UTC

2024 will be the 96th calendar year since the publication of Walt
Disney's short film "Steamboat Willie", which introduced Mickey and
Minnie Mouse. That means it's in public domain.

Each and every time this film was scheduled to go into public domain,
Disney managed to successfully lobby Congress to extend copyright.
Despite the fact that the word "limited" is in constitutional language,
the Supreme Court has ruled that "limited" has nothing to do with how
many years a viewer or reader has left to live before being able to use
the material in is own creation without licensing it. The 95 year term
is constitutional, not for logical reasons, but because that's the
majority opinion of the Supreme Court.

https://apnews.com/article/mickey-mouse-public-domain-disney-minnie-tigger-1dbfa3982a172334503bc8cf87302b6f

Were Disney's lobbyists asleep at the switch?

Re: Prepare for the next extension of term of copyright

<1198592687.724452990.989454.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=211763&group=rec.arts.tv#211763

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:17:04 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:17 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> 2024 will be the 96th calendar year since the publication of Walt
> Disney's short film "Steamboat Willie", which introduced Mickey and
> Minnie Mouse. That means it's in public domain.
>
> Each and every time this film was scheduled to go into public domain,
> Disney managed to successfully lobby Congress to extend copyright.
> Despite the fact that the word "limited" is in constitutional language,
> the Supreme Court has ruled that "limited" has nothing to do with how
> many years a viewer or reader has left to live before being able to use
> the material in is own creation without licensing it. The 95 year term
> is constitutional, not for logical reasons, but because that's the
> majority opinion of the Supreme Court.
>
> https://apnews.com/article/mickey-mouse-public-domain-disney-minnie-tigger-1dbfa3982a172334503bc8cf87302b6f
>
> Were Disney's lobbyists asleep at the switch?

“Steamboat Willy“ was the first and for a long time only programming on
Disney+ sign that was presented in 4:3 aspect ratio. Later they finally
added Zorro.

I was surprised Disney didn’t make a 16:9 version that they could
re-copyright.