Force has no place where there is need of skill. -- Herodotus

arts / rec.arts.tv / Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaming

SubjectAuthor
* Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on StreamingIan J. Ball
+* Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on StreamingDimensional Traveler
|`- Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on StreamingWoke Ken
+- Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on StreamingAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaminganim8rfsk
|`* Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on StreamingIan J. Ball
| `- Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaminganim8rfsk
`- Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on StreamingPluted Pup

1
Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaming

<um3aii$1ffv2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=212104&group=rec.arts.tv#212104

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaming
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:32:50 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 06:32 UTC

In the last couple of days, mention of several 2010s TV shows got me
thinking about what 1-2 season wonders of these are available on
streaming...

It turns out the answer is "not many".

The first show that got me wondering came in light of this recent report:

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/dont-trust-the-b-in-apartment-23-coming-soon-to-disney-uk-ireland/

So, "Don't Trist the B----..." is coming to the UK and Ireland. What
about the U.S.?! According to JustWatch, this show is *not* available
via streaming here, from either Disney+ or Hulu! (It can be bought from
Apple TV, etc.) So why does the UK get this, but the U.S., the country
where the show was made, not get it?!

"Selfie" immediately came to mind as well. Verdict? Not only not
available for streaming, this one is *not even available for
purchase*!! IOW, there seems to be no "white market" way to even get
this show!

I then got to wondering about some other 2010s-era shows.

"Almost Human" it turns out is actually available on Tubi. So at least
you can watch it. Unfortunately, Tubi offers up the episodes in the
same f**ked up order that Fox aired the episodes (e.g. ep. #2 was aired
*eighth*), so if you want to watch this one "in order", you'll have to
hit Wikipedia, and watch the episodes one-by-one rather than Tubi's way!

This got me thinking about "Minority Report" - like "Don't Trist the
B----...", this one is not on any streamer, and can only be bought.

Now, I know what TV shows from about 1990 to 2010 or so are difficult
to find on streaming (issue #1 - music rights!). But what the heck is
the reason that these 2010s-era TV shows are largely unavailable via
streaming?!

Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaming

<um4dcb$1km2e$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=212127&group=rec.arts.tv#212127

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 08:26:52 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:26 UTC

On 12/21/2023 10:32 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> In the last couple of days, mention of several 2010s TV shows got me
> thinking about what 1-2 season wonders of these are available on
> streaming...
>
> It turns out the answer is "not many".
>
> The first show that got me wondering came in light of this recent report:
>
> https://whatsondisneyplus.com/dont-trust-the-b-in-apartment-23-coming-soon-to-disney-uk-ireland/
>
> So, "Don't Trist the B----..." is coming to the UK and Ireland. What
> about the U.S.?! According to JustWatch, this show is *not* available
> via streaming here, from either Disney+ or Hulu! (It can be bought from
> Apple TV, etc.) So why does the UK get this, but the U.S., the country
> where the show was made, not get it?!
>
> "Selfie" immediately came to mind as well. Verdict? Not only not
> available for streaming, this one is *not even available for purchase*!!
> IOW, there seems to be no "white market" way to even get this show!
>
> I then got to wondering about some other 2010s-era shows.
>
> "Almost Human" it turns out is actually available on Tubi. So at least
> you can watch it. Unfortunately, Tubi offers up the episodes in the same
> f**ked up order that Fox aired the episodes (e.g. ep. #2 was aired
> *eighth*), so if you want to watch this one "in order", you'll have to
> hit Wikipedia, and watch the episodes one-by-one rather than Tubi's way!
>
> This got me thinking about "Minority Report" - like "Don't Trist the
> B----...", this one is not on any streamer, and can only be bought.
>
> Now, I know what TV shows from about 1990 to 2010 or so are difficult to
> find on streaming (issue #1 - music rights!). But what the heck is the
> reason that these 2010s-era TV shows are largely unavailable via
> streaming?!

Possible because even the shit shows from that period show up current TV
shows for the absolute crap they are?

dirty old man.

Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaming

<um4hls$1lcku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=212139&group=rec.arts.tv#212139

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 17:40:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 17:40 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>. . .

>Now, I know what TV shows from about 1990 to 2010 or so are difficult
>to find on streaming (issue #1 - music rights!). But what the heck is
>the reason that these 2010s-era TV shows are largely unavailable via
>streaming?!

That's a good point. I love that as these songs get older and older and
older, the licensing fee keeps going up and up and up. I don't know how
they are allowed to get away with it.

Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaming

<85e7b9d8-5123-453b-a465-551273a9d2ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=212152&group=rec.arts.tv#212152

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:40:34 -0800 (PST)
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (Woke Ken)
 by: Woke Ken - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 19:40 UTC

On Friday, December 22, 2023 at 10:26:57 AM UTC-6, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 12/21/2023 10:32 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> > In the last couple of days, mention of several 2010s TV shows got me
> > thinking about what 1-2 season wonders of these are available on
> > streaming...
> >
> > It turns out the answer is "not many".
> >
> > The first show that got me wondering came in light of this recent report:
> >
> > https://whatsondisneyplus.com/dont-trust-the-b-in-apartment-23-coming-soon-to-disney-uk-ireland/
> >
> > So, "Don't Trist the B----..." is coming to the UK and Ireland. What
> > about the U.S.?! According to JustWatch, this show is *not* available
> > via streaming here, from either Disney+ or Hulu! (It can be bought from
> > Apple TV, etc.) So why does the UK get this, but the U.S., the country
> > where the show was made, not get it?!
> >
> > "Selfie" immediately came to mind as well. Verdict? Not only not
> > available for streaming, this one is *not even available for purchase*!!
> > IOW, there seems to be no "white market" way to even get this show!
> >
> > I then got to wondering about some other 2010s-era shows.
> >
> > "Almost Human" it turns out is actually available on Tubi. So at least
> > you can watch it. Unfortunately, Tubi offers up the episodes in the same
> > f**ked up order that Fox aired the episodes (e.g. ep. #2 was aired
> > *eighth*), so if you want to watch this one "in order", you'll have to
> > hit Wikipedia, and watch the episodes one-by-one rather than Tubi's way!
> >
> > This got me thinking about "Minority Report" - like "Don't Trist the
> > B----...", this one is not on any streamer, and can only be bought.
> >
> > Now, I know what TV shows from about 1990 to 2010 or so are difficult to
> > find on streaming (issue #1 - music rights!). But what the heck is the
> > reason that these 2010s-era TV shows are largely unavailable via
> > streaming?!
> >
> Possible because even the shit shows from that period show up current TV
> shows for the absolute crap they are?
>
> --
> I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
> dirty old man.

Series from Louis CK and Curbed maintained my faith in San Andreas locals. One produces some brilliant comedy with the water heater strapped down and Mistletoe of Richter swaying with the walls.

Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaming

<161204820.724972602.041391.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=212164&group=rec.arts.tv#212164

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:22:21 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 21:22 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> In the last couple of days, mention of several 2010s TV shows got me
> thinking about what 1-2 season wonders of these are available on
> streaming...
>
> It turns out the answer is "not many".
>
> The first show that got me wondering came in light of this recent report:
>
> https://whatsondisneyplus.com/dont-trust-the-b-in-apartment-23-coming-soon-to-disney-uk-ireland/
>

> So, "Don't Trist the B----..." is coming to the UK and Ireland. What
> about the U.S.?! According to JustWatch, this show is *not* available
> via streaming here, from either Disney+ or Hulu! (It can be bought from
> Apple TV, etc.) So why does the UK get this, but the U.S., the country
> where the show was made, not get it?!

The fire stick has it. I just checked because I remember it offered it to
me recently. I don’t know where it’s sourcing it from and you have to pay
extra but it is available.

The fire stick also has ALMOST HUMAN… Except for some reason for the pilot.

I don’t know what selfie is. The fire stick has three different recent
movies with that title.

> "Selfie" immediately came to mind as well. Verdict? Not only not
> available for streaming, this one is *not even available for
> purchase*!! IOW, there seems to be no "white market" way to even get
> this show!
>
> I then got to wondering about some other 2010s-era shows.
>
> "Almost Human" it turns out is actually available on Tubi. So at least
> you can watch it. Unfortunately, Tubi offers up the episodes in the
> same f**ked up order that Fox aired the episodes (e.g. ep. #2 was aired
> *eighth*), so if you want to watch this one "in order", you'll have to
> hit Wikipedia, and watch the episodes one-by-one rather than Tubi's way!
>
> This got me thinking about "Minority Report" - like "Don't Trist the
> B----...", this one is not on any streamer, and can only be bought.
>
> Now, I know what TV shows from about 1990 to 2010 or so are difficult
> to find on streaming (issue #1 - music rights!). But what the heck is
> the reason that these 2010s-era TV shows are largely unavailable via
> streaming?!

Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaming

<um58ml$1ou16$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=212175&group=rec.arts.tv#212175

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:13:09 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 00:13 UTC

On 2023-12-22 21:22:21 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In the last couple of days, mention of several 2010s TV shows got me
>> thinking about what 1-2 season wonders of these are available on
>> streaming...
>>
>> It turns out the answer is "not many".
>>
>> The first show that got me wondering came in light of this recent report:
>>
>> https://whatsondisneyplus.com/dont-trust-the-b-in-apartment-23-coming-soon-to-disney-uk-ireland/
>>

>> So, "Don't Trist the B----..." is coming to the UK and Ireland. What
>> about the U.S.?! According to JustWatch, this show is *not* available
>> via streaming here, from either Disney+ or Hulu! (It can be bought from
>> Apple TV, etc.) So why does the UK get this, but the U.S., the country
>> where the show was made, not get it?!
>
> The fire stick has it.

Weird - Would love to know where it's coming from... (Apple TV agrees
that it's only available on Apple TV (for rent/buy).)

> I just checked because I remember it offered it to
> me recently. I don’t know where it’s sourcing it from and you have to pay
> extra but it is available.
>
> The fire stick also has ALMOST HUMAN… Except for some reason for the pilot.

I believe Tubi has it all, including the pilot.

> I don’t know what selfie is.

It starred Amy Pond!!!

> The fire stick has three different recent
> movies with that title.
>
>> "Selfie" immediately came to mind as well. Verdict? Not only not
>> available for streaming, this one is *not even available for
>> purchase*!! IOW, there seems to be no "white market" way to even get
>> this show!
>>
>> I then got to wondering about some other 2010s-era shows.
>>
>> "Almost Human" it turns out is actually available on Tubi. So at least
>> you can watch it. Unfortunately, Tubi offers up the episodes in the
>> same f**ked up order that Fox aired the episodes (e.g. ep. #2 was aired
>> *eighth*), so if you want to watch this one "in order", you'll have to
>> hit Wikipedia, and watch the episodes one-by-one rather than Tubi's way!
>>
>> This got me thinking about "Minority Report" - like "Don't Trist the
>> B----...", this one is not on any streamer, and can only be bought.
>>
>> Now, I know what TV shows from about 1990 to 2010 or so are difficult
>> to find on streaming (issue #1 - music rights!). But what the heck is
>> the reason that these 2010s-era TV shows are largely unavailable via
>> streaming?!

Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaming

<532459003.725038142.319459.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=212217&group=rec.arts.tv#212217

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 08:49:46 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:49 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-12-22 21:22:21 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> In the last couple of days, mention of several 2010s TV shows got me
>>> thinking about what 1-2 season wonders of these are available on
>>> streaming...
>>>
>>> It turns out the answer is "not many".
>>>
>>> The first show that got me wondering came in light of this recent report:
>>>
>>> https://whatsondisneyplus.com/dont-trust-the-b-in-apartment-23-coming-soon-to-disney-uk-ireland/
>>>

>>> So, "Don't Trist the B----..." is coming to the UK and Ireland. What
>>> about the U.S.?! According to JustWatch, this show is *not* available
>>> via streaming here, from either Disney+ or Hulu! (It can be bought from
>>> Apple TV, etc.) So why does the UK get this, but the U.S., the country
>>> where the show was made, not get it?!
>>
>> The fire stick has it.
>
> Weird - Would love to know where it's coming from... (Apple TV agrees
> that it's only available on Apple TV (for rent/buy).)

I don’t know. I say “don’t trust” into the main fire stick search and it
brings up descriptions and pictures and options, including buy episode one
in HD for $2.99 or buy season one in HD for $4.99, although when I click
deeper it, offers me the season only in HD. But there’s no clue where it’s
coming from. I can’t imagine Apple, letting me buy an episode all a cart
without signing up again.

OK I took a chance and clicked “buy now” and the fine print says sold by
amazon.com services LLC.

Which gives me a clue, as to where to search, and yes, it’s somewhere
within prime video, both the single episode, or the whole series only
available for purchase.

One big problem with Amazon subscription add-ons (like stars, and the host
of services included under Max plus) is that they don’t have their own
search areas. So I can’t search stars for don’t trust, I have to search all
of Amazon and it doesn’t tell me where it found it. I’d like to be able to
search either way so I could for instance see if stars has anything worth
keeping it for.

Bitch could be in Amazon prime itself, or in STARZ, or in Max, or in HBO,
or just damn near anywhere. But it is there.

>> I just checked because I remember it offered it to
>> me recently. I don’t know where it’s sourcing it from and you have to pay
>> extra but it is available.
>>
>> The fire stick also has ALMOST HUMAN… Except for some reason for the pilot.
>
> I believe Tubi has it all, including the pilot.
>
>> I don’t know what selfie is.
>
> It starred Amy Pond!!!

OK, I thought maybe that’s what you were talking about. No, I didn’t find a
hint of a whisper of it anywhere.

>> The fire stick has three different recent
>> movies with that title.
>>
>>> "Selfie" immediately came to mind as well. Verdict? Not only not
>>> available for streaming, this one is *not even available for
>>> purchase*!! IOW, there seems to be no "white market" way to even get
>>> this show!
>>>
>>> I then got to wondering about some other 2010s-era shows.
>>>
>>> "Almost Human" it turns out is actually available on Tubi. So at least
>>> you can watch it. Unfortunately, Tubi offers up the episodes in the
>>> same f**ked up order that Fox aired the episodes (e.g. ep. #2 was aired
>>> *eighth*), so if you want to watch this one "in order", you'll have to
>>> hit Wikipedia, and watch the episodes one-by-one rather than Tubi's way!
>>>
>>> This got me thinking about "Minority Report" - like "Don't Trist the
>>> B----...", this one is not on any streamer, and can only be bought.
>>>
>>> Now, I know what TV shows from about 1990 to 2010 or so are difficult
>>> to find on streaming (issue #1 - music rights!). But what the heck is
>>> the reason that these 2010s-era TV shows are largely unavailable via
>>> streaming?!

Selfie only has 13 episodes. It may cost as much to buy it as it would to
buy something with three seasons, and the buyer doesn’t think it’s much of
a bargain.

Alexa couldn’t find almost human on Tubi, but manually keyed in search did
and it in fact claims to have all 13 episodes which includes the two-part
pilot. At the very least Tubi has every episode that IMDb lists.

Re: Random Sampling of Shows, Mostly Not on Streaming

<0001HW.2B3B55EA011442B830B3BF38F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=212359&group=rec.arts.tv#212359

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.26.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 10:41:46 -0800
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
 by: Pluted Pup - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 18:41 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:32:50 -0800, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> In the last couple of days, mention of several 2010s TV shows got me
> thinking about what 1-2 season wonders of these are available on
> streaming...
>
> It turns out the answer is "not many".
>
> The first show that got me wondering came in light of this recent report:
>
> https://whatsondisneyplus.com/dont-trust-the-b-in-apartment-23-coming-soon-to-disney-uk-ireland/
>
> So, "Don't Trist the B----..." is coming to the UK and Ireland. What
> about the U.S.?! According to JustWatch, this show is *not* available
> via streaming here, from either Disney+ or Hulu! (It can be bought from
> Apple TV, etc.) So why does the UK get this, but the U.S., the country
> where the show was made, not get it?!

The complete 2 season collection was issued on
American DVDs and I own it.

Amazon is pretending the DVDs don't exist.

> "Selfie" immediately came to mind as well. Verdict? Not only not
> available for streaming, this one is *not even available for
> purchase*!! IOW, there seems to be no "white market" way to even get
> this show!
>
> I then got to wondering about some other 2010s-era shows.
>
> "Almost Human" it turns out is actually available on Tubi. So at least
> you can watch it. Unfortunately, Tubi offers up the episodes in the
> same f**ked up order that Fox aired the episodes (e.g. ep. #2 was aired
> *eighth*), so if you want to watch this one "in order", you'll have to
> hit Wikipedia, and watch the episodes one-by-one rather than Tubi's way!
>
> This got me thinking about "Minority Report" - like "Don't Trist the
> B----...", this one is not on any streamer, and can only be bought.
>
> Now, I know what TV shows from about 1990 to 2010 or so are difficult
> to find on streaming (issue #1 - music rights!). But what the heck is
> the reason that these 2010s-era TV shows are largely unavailable via
> streaming?!

Because streaming companies' goal is to have a tiny
catalog available.