From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: ques about Mannix episode starring Kolchak
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 06:26:20 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 06:26 UTC

well, Darren McGavin [a] a few years before Kolchak.

episode: A Ticket to the Eclipse

He plays a crazed Viet, err, Korean War vet who's
been killing off the members of his old platoon,
which, natch, leads to a one-on-one with Lt. Mannix

(hey, wasn't there another episode with another
member of the platoon doing the same?)

Initially the cops are convinced a different soldier
is the killer, but Mannix ain't so sure.

Leading to a scene where Mannix meets up
with McGavin at the latter's Karate Dojo.

He's somewhat, well, very, wacko, and shows
off how physically fit he is. This includes
performing some pretty impressive acrobatics
on the, umm, padded horse (?) and then.. doing
flips and flops and splits with the overhead rings.

Now in the horse stuff I noticed we only see
his back, so figured that was a stunt double,
but in the ring stuff (damn, what's that called)
we get frontal views and it sure looked like him.

The reviews in IMDB said all of this was doubles,
but, well, anyone else see it? If so, what
to you think?

Thanks

[a] aka William Lyle Richardson [b]

[b] amusingly the descriptions for Kolchak
on MeTV wwhere it airs Sat at midnight
are no using the Richardson name. I
had to do a double take as I hadn't been
aware of this name change.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: ques about Mannix episode starring Kolchak

<1043692423.725554576.387859.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=212715&group=rec.arts.tv#212715

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: ques about Mannix episode starring Kolchak
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 23:05:42 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 06:05 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
> well, Darren McGavin [a] a few years before Kolchak.
>
> episode: A Ticket to the Eclipse
>
> He plays a crazed Viet, err, Korean War vet who's
> been killing off the members of his old platoon,
> which, natch, leads to a one-on-one with Lt. Mannix
>
> (hey, wasn't there another episode with another
> member of the platoon doing the same?)
>
> Initially the cops are convinced a different soldier
> is the killer, but Mannix ain't so sure.
>
> Leading to a scene where Mannix meets up
> with McGavin at the latter's Karate Dojo.
>
> He's somewhat, well, very, wacko, and shows
> off how physically fit he is. This includes
> performing some pretty impressive acrobatics
> on the, umm, padded horse (?) and then.. doing
> flips and flops and splits with the overhead rings.
>
> Now in the horse stuff I noticed we only see
> his back, so figured that was a stunt double,
> but in the ring stuff (damn, what's that called)
> we get frontal views and it sure looked like him.
>
> The reviews in IMDB said all of this was doubles,
> but, well, anyone else see it? If so, what
> to you think?

Available on the Amazon prime.

Shot in the dark, out of focus, from behind, upside down, in a mirror.

Yeah, I’d say that’s a pretty obvious stunt double :)

> Thanks
>
> [a] aka William Lyle Richardson [b]
>
> [b] amusingly the descriptions for Kolchak
> on MeTV wwhere it airs Sat at midnight
> are no using the Richardson name. I
> had to do a double take as I hadn't been
> aware of this name change.

> Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key
> dannyb@panix.com
> [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Re: ques about Mannix episode starring Kolchak

<38dvoihe6ekfi9au8gch55i2mf809tc9tv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=212717&group=rec.arts.tv#212717

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 01:17:49 -0500
 by: shawn - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 06:17 UTC

On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 23:05:42 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>> well, Darren McGavin [a] a few years before Kolchak.
>>
>> episode: A Ticket to the Eclipse
>>
>> He plays a crazed Viet, err, Korean War vet who's
>> been killing off the members of his old platoon,
>> which, natch, leads to a one-on-one with Lt. Mannix
>>
>> (hey, wasn't there another episode with another
>> member of the platoon doing the same?)
>>
>> Initially the cops are convinced a different soldier
>> is the killer, but Mannix ain't so sure.
>>
>> Leading to a scene where Mannix meets up
>> with McGavin at the latter's Karate Dojo.
>>
>> He's somewhat, well, very, wacko, and shows
>> off how physically fit he is. This includes
>> performing some pretty impressive acrobatics
>> on the, umm, padded horse (?) and then.. doing
>> flips and flops and splits with the overhead rings.
>>
>> Now in the horse stuff I noticed we only see
>> his back, so figured that was a stunt double,
>> but in the ring stuff (damn, what's that called)
>> we get frontal views and it sure looked like him.
>>
>> The reviews in IMDB said all of this was doubles,
>> but, well, anyone else see it? If so, what
>> to you think?
>
>Available on the Amazon prime.
>
>Shot in the dark, out of focus, from behind, upside down, in a mirror.
>
>Yeah, I’d say that’s a pretty obvious stunt double :)

As usual you can find almost anything on the Internet

a not great quality version of the episode available for free:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7tri2b

And it looks to be available on Plex.tv too.
https://watch.plex.tv/show/mannix/season/4/episode/1