From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: "Father Brown" producers turfed 6 key characters before this season
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 18:45:41 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 05:45 UTC

On 2024-01-09 04:35:28 +0000, RICH said:

> Jack Deam as Inspector Mallory
> Sorcha Cusack as Mrs. McCarthy
> Emer Kenney as Bunty
> Alex Price as Sid Carter
> Nancy Carroll as Lady Felicia
> John Burton as Sgt. Goodfellow
>
> Surprising, given their popularity and seemingly integral place in the
> show. But the producers (in essence) said they wanted new (younger?)
> faces. Interestingly, they re-introduced a new inspector. However,
> the REAL reason my be the $500M in BBC budget cuts. A set cast in a
> long-running show costs a lot of money.

Some of those left a while back, before season 10. Lady Felicia is in
at least one episode of the new season 11, but she has slowly become
much less of a regular character.

Father Brown himself is the only essential character (although even
then, they did spin-off the Sister Boniface character to her own show).
The reality is that the other actors have likely just gotten bored and
wanted to move on to other work, as often happens in long running shows.