From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Inertia as the Key Insight to Hypertime
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 03:30:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 03:30 UTC

Brian M. Scott wrote:
> Richard Todd wrote:
>> Don wrote:
>>>
>>> There's time enough at last for me to read my first
>>> Perry Rhoden story, named "Prisoner of Time." In it
>>> Rhodan's people use a device that speeds up their
>>> proximal clock by 72,000 times.
>>
>> (This is Perry Rhodan #56 in the old Ace US edition, PR
>> #64 in the German original for those who can read the
>> German summary at http://www.perrypedia.proc.org/wiki/Quelle:PR64 .)
>
> There seems to be an English translation at
>
> <http://www.vb-tech.co.za/ebooks/Perry%20Rhodan%20-%20Future%20Cycle%20064%20-%20Prisoner%20of%20Time%20-%20SF.txt>,
>
> though I shouldn't care to bet that it's legal.
>
>> More precisely, they use the "ring-field-generator", I
>> think it was called,
>
> Linsenfeldgenerator: lens field generator.
>
>> to enter another universe, the so-called "Druuf
>> Universe", where the native time rate is 72000 times
>> slower, while still retaining their original time rate.

It's time to turn back to this thread once more. The PR stories cited
within were recently reached and re-read by me as part of a long term
marathon to read PR from its very first story.

Although Clark Darlton indeed uses Linsenfeldgenerator as his
nomenclature in „Nr. 64 Im Zeit-Gefängnis“, he changes it to
Krümmungsfeld-Generator (curvature field generator) in his next
installment, „Nr. 65 Ein Hauch Ewigkeit“. And Ackerman alters it to
"warp-field generator" in Ace "#57 A Touch of Eternity"

Original:

„Eigentlich“, warf Erb sachlich ein, „handelt es sich mehr
um einen Krümmungsfeld-Generator, denn das erzeugte Lichtfeld
wird stark gekrümmt.“

Translated:

"Actually," Erb interjected matter-of-factly, "it is more of a
curvature field generator, because the generated light field is
strongly curved.

Ackermanized:

"Practically speaking," interjected Erb, "what you have now is
more of a warp-field generator because the light and energy
spectra are curved quite sharply.

Neologist Ackerman coins the word /spatima/ for his back cover blurb.
Where he curiously reverts to /lens-field generator/ in place of the
/warp-field/ found in the story proper:

One very special "window" - the point of egress from an alien
dimension - ceased to be and with its disappearance there
vanished the means of return to our own spatima continuum, our
own universe of space & time & matter.
Perry Rhodan learns whether a man can drown in an "ocean of
time."
And the crew of the spaceship /Sherbourne/ - does coincidence,
chance, a lucky accident or fate determine the outcome of their
adventure in the Other Dimension?
The lens-field generator and the dread Druufs are all part
of the package of those, who, like you when you read this
breath-taking episode, sense - A Touch of Eternity.

This sort of sempiternity spiel stirs up the ghost of Ernst Ellert in
the mind of this Rhofan. ... Now what were the circumstances when Ernst
entered eternity? Fortunately the details are available at perrypedia:

https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Ernst_Ellert

and it points to „Nr. 7 Invasion aus dem All“ translated as Ace
"#4 Invasion From Space."

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php