Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 04:28:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: We read two of Harlan Ellison's short stories on-line and...
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Wed, 24 May 2023 11:28 UTC

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 10:06:01 PM UTC, NancyGene wrote:
> ...we were not impressed. We read "Paingod and Other Delusions" and "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" and came to the conclusion that Ellison wrote short stories because he couldn't write novels, and short stories don't require any real plotting, character development, or research. Futuristic stories require even less. He was not a good writer, and we are not inclined to read any more of his output. Those who have hung their literary education on his writings have not gotten anything in return.

Plus, as we noted further down in the thread, we tried to read "A Boy and His Dog." Ellison was a hack writer. There was no beauty or craft in his writing, and the stories were disgusting. He wrote for teenage boys.

Re: We read two of Harlan Ellison's short stories on-line and...

<9e1ee58ae87e99192e12b83fac57c186@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216158&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#216158

Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 01:36:42 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 31 May 2023 01:36 UTC

NancyGene wrote:

>> ...we were not impressed. We read "Paingod and Other Delusions" and "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" and came to the conclusion that Ellison wrote short stories because he couldn't write novels, and short stories don't require any real plotting, character development, or research. Futuristic stories require even less. He was not a good writer, and we are not inclined to read any more of his output. Those who have hung their literary education on his writings have not gotten anything in return.

> Plus, as we noted further down in the thread, we tried to read "A Boy and His Dog." Ellison was a hack writer. There was no beauty or craft in his writing, and the stories were disgusting. He wrote for teenage boys.

To each his own I reckon.