Time goes, you say? Ah no! Time stays, *we* go. -- Austin Dobson

arts / rec.arts.sf.tv / Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux review with spoilers

SubjectAuthor
* Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux review with spoilersThe Doctor
+* Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the FluxBlueshirt
|`- Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the FluxThe Doctor
+* Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux reviewsolar penguin
|`- Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux reviewThe Doctor
`- Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux review with spoilersJohn McCue

1
Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux review with spoilers

<so1903$2p5s$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2164&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2164

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux review with spoilers
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 01:05:07 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 01:05 UTC

Doctor Who Flux Ep 5 - The Survivors of the Flux

This is real disaster! Timelash makes for better watching!

Review from previous episodes.

The Doctor breaks the grasp of the extraction force?
Still in 1967?

The Weeping Angels say that the Doctor's friends are lost

1904 Mexico

Professor Jericho, Dan and Jaz looking for an artifact.

Doctor quantum realigned by Ood.
Who is The Doctor visiting?

The Doctor is in Division.

1904 Istanbul.

Bomb attack!

Now on a ship,
attacked by a waiter only for waiter to commit suicide.

Who is the mystery man who look extraterrestrials threats
helping a general.

Will Survivors of the Flux come to Earth? Doctor tells Yaz to
solve a puzzle.

Where and when is the doctor with the mystery lady?

The leader of 'Division' addresses the Doctor.
Contradictions galore! Division is not in the Universe.

Dog is back! Earth shield is now brechable!

Bel again! What monolith is this? Bel is captured by the Lupar dogs.
Vinder us in the hunting grounds with the Swarm and Sister.

Division is a multiverse movement.
The Doctor is a virus of the division? Bogus!

How evil is the division? Sounds very evil.
'Tectuen' is 'division'.

1967 UNIT

UNIT has the TARDIS!

The Grand Serpent is the Apprentice of UNIT.

'Division' brought The Doctor not to interfere.

'Doctor' takes on 'Tectuen'.

'Tectuen' using the flux to destroy the Universe.
How crazy is this woman?

Vinder detected by Swarm and now in Passenger.

Vinder meets Diane.

1904 Nepal

A hermit guru to help Jericho, Dan and Jaz?

And now to the Great Wall of China.

Fetch your dog.

The Flux is a compression?

The Doctor hears whispers of Gallifrey.

1987 Earth.

The Great Serpent to cheer UNIT?

Just murders his way through.

The Industrial is back?

1904 Liverpool

Tunnel time!

The Industrialist is found.

Time to show the secret.

'Tectuen' and the memories of the 'Doctor'.

'Tectuen' believes the 'Doctor' is from another universe.

Stewart vs The Great Serpent.

2021 Dog takes on Bel.

All ships under attack.

1904

Doorways to other worlds under Liverpool.

2021

The Great Serpent will cause WWIII with the aide of the Sontarans!

Sontaran invason.

'Doctor' takes on Swarm , 'Tectuen' and all.

'Tectuen' killed by Swarm.

Is the 'doctor ' next?

So On Earth, Dan , Yaz and Jericho find doorways to other worlds.
The 'Division' under 'Tectuen' is ready to destroy the universe.
The Ravagers will destroy the universe from 'Division'?
The Great serpent with the Sontarans invade Earth?
Hopefully Vinder and Diane can get out!

0/10 ! This is what you get when a psychopath like Chibnall
takes Doctor Who on!

Hopefully RTD will retcon the Timeless Child on the very first go!

Merry Christmas 2021 and Happy New Year 2022 Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux

<so1tef$16b$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2169&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2169

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 06:54:07 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 06:54 UTC

On 29/11/2021 01:05, The Doctor wrote:
> Doctor Who Flux Ep 5 - The Survivors of the Flux
>
> This is real disaster! Timelash makes for better watching!

Steady on Dave... nothing makes Timelash look good.

> 0/10 ! This is what you get when a psychopath like Chibnall
> takes Doctor Who on!

Well he does claim to be a Doctor Who fan.

> Hopefully RTD will retcon the Timeless Child on the very first go!

I don't see that happening.

Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux review with spoilers

<so2jlv$d1n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2170&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2170

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux review
with spoilers
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:13:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qRmx8OWrYOIznGqwJatHH+i0d8k=
 by: solar penguin - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:13 UTC

Some good moments but possibly the weakest episode
of Flux so far. It had slow switching between multiple stories
like “Once, Upon Time,” but without the any of the fun,
surreal mindscrew.

(Well, to be fair, there was a nice surreal moment near the
start when the Doctor was being transported with the
Weeping Angels, but that was the only one.)

The adventures of Yazdele Blanc-sec and her bungling
comic-relief sidekicks weren’t as funny as they were supposed
to be, thanks to jokes being stretched out too long. (The
slapstick falls down the tomb shaft and the wisecracking
hermit were the worst offenders.) This was made worse
by the way Professor Jericho had been such a great character
last week. It was a waste to reduce him to this.

Worse, most of their story was pure padding. The artefacts
they found weren’t any help in the end, and their attempt
to contact Karvanista was a literal shaggy dog story. The
story would’ve flowed much smoother if they had gone
straight to the tunnels at the start.

Also… Where did they get the money for all the travelling?
(Even with Dan hiding under the bed, it must’ve cost a
lot.) What happened to Peggy? (Is she in an orphanage
somewhere back in England?) Who sent the assassins
after them? (The snake tattoo suggests the Grand Serpent
but even if he saw the message they left for Karvanista
why would he know they were a threat?)

And why does the Great Wall of China still exist? (China
and Russia had already been replaced by Sontar centuries
before the Crimean War and we haven’t seen their history
being restored. Did a passing Rutan sort everything out
just to piss off the Sontarans?)

Meanwhile…

I liked the unexpected teaming up of Vinder and Diane,
and of Karvanista and Bel, even if the events leading to
them were very contrived. (Why couldn’t the Lupari just
remote control the drifting ship back into place instead
of summoning Bel’s ship across the galaxy to replace it?)

I also loved the tour of UNIT history with the Grand Serpent.
That was the highlight of the episode for me, even if no-one
in the DW production team knows the difference between
a corporal and a colonel. (OTOH a viewer who wasn’t familiar
with DW’s past would probably have found it annoying
and confusing. You can’t please everyone.)

However, the heart of the story was the Doctor’s disappointing
confrontation with the Division, represented by one old
lady and an Ood. What an anticlimax!

Even the revelation that the old lady just happens to be
the Doctor’s long-lost adopted mother Tecteun is wasted.
There could be plenty of emotional, dramatic tension in
the Doctor having to choose whether or not to stop her
own mother, but not if she doesn’t even remember the
mother who is literally destroying the universe! Not exactly
a hard choice, is it?

What makes it even more annoying is that Chibnall is usually
so good at the emotional, character-based side of story-
telling. It’s not like him to get something like this so wrong.
Tecteun didn’t even get any hint of redemption (such as
e.g. only getting involved in the Division because she wanted
to atone for the experiments she carried out on her child.)
Instead she’s just another generic evil villain like all the
others.

But then, all the scenes with her turn out to be more padding
anyway. Swarm and Azure show up and quickly kill her
off before threatening the Doctor in the cliffhanger.

( *sigh* )

Oh well, by the law of averages, some episodes have to
be weaker than others. Let’s just hope this means next
week’s finale will be stronger.

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux review with spoilers

<so2pv6$10gs$6@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2171&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2171

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
with spoilers
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:00:54 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:00 UTC

In article <so2jlv$d1n$1@dont-email.me>,
solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>mother who is literally destroying the universe! Not exactly
>a hard choice, is it?
>
>What makes it even more annoying is that Chibnall is usually
>so good at the emotional, character-based side of story-
>telling. It’s not like him to get something like this so wrong.
>Tecteun didn’t even get any hint of redemption (such as
>e.g. only getting involved in the Division because she wanted
>to atone for the experiments she carried out on her child.)
>Instead she’s just another generic evil villain like all the
>others.
>
>But then, all the scenes with her turn out to be more padding
>anyway. Swarm and Azure show up and quickly kill her
>off before threatening the Doctor in the cliffhanger.
>
>( *sigh* )
>
>Oh well, by the law of averages, some episodes have to
>be weaker than others. Let’s just hope this means next

Let's Hope RTD retconned the Timless child Arc in total!

>--
>solar penguin

Merry Christmas 2021 and Happy New Year 2022 Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux

<so2tdl$1836$64@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2172&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2172

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:59:49 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:59 UTC

In article <so1tef$16b$3@dont-email.me>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>On 29/11/2021 01:05, The Doctor wrote:
>> Doctor Who Flux Ep 5 - The Survivors of the Flux
>>
>> This is real disaster! Timelash makes for better watching!
>
>Steady on Dave... nothing makes Timelash look good.

Chibnall's Timeles Child just did.

>> 0/10 ! This is what you get when a psychopath like Chibnall
>> takes Doctor Who on!
>
>Well he does claim to be a Doctor Who fan.

No way!

>> Hopefully RTD will retcon the Timeless Child on the very first go!
>
>I don't see that happening.

Pessismist!
Merry Christmas 2021 and Happy New Year 2022 Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - Part 5 - Survivors of the Flux review with spoilers

<sodg6e$cnq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2188&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2188

Followup: uk.media.tv.sf.drwho
From: jmc...@fuzzball.mhome.org (John McCue)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 16:21:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John McCue - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 16:21 UTC

trimmed followups to uk.media.tv.sf.drwho

In uk.media.tv.sf.drwho The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
> Doctor Who Flux Ep 5 - The Survivors of the Flux
>
> This is real disaster! Timelash makes for better watching!

No kidding

<snip>

> Bel again! What monolith is this? Bel is captured by the Lupar dogs.
> Vinder us in the hunting grounds with the Swarm and Sister.

Even the only portion of this season I like seemed odd.

And they had hardly any screen time, or I missed something
because I started playing Nethack about 5 or 10 minutes
into the broadcast.

<snip>
> The Flux is a compression?

I do remember that statement, it was here I started thinking
they are trying to make Dr Who into a comedy show, a real
bad comedy show. But there is that theory our universe is a
simulation on some kind of computer. So maybe I can live
with this.

<snip>

> 2021 Dog takes on Bel.

I like the dog too :) I missed this scene, but I will not
re-watch to see what probably was a minute scene.

<snip>

> Hopefully RTD will retcon the Timeless Child on the very first go!

I hope so, maybe it was a drug or even a pocket universe
created by the Master to torment the Dr, I can hope.

I really have no issue with the Dr being a woman, in the
original series I was wondering if they are stuck to their
birth sex. *But*, this whole season plus a good portion of
last years had terrible plots. If I were the
actors/actresses in this season, I would be awful angry at
the scripts.

--
csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars