From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: "All Creatures Great and Small" New one differs from old one
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 19:04:29 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 06:04 UTC

On 2024-02-19 04:14:37 +0000, Rich said:

> Mrs. Palfrey would never have gone to a pub, even at Christmas to
> associate with the people there. The class system was well entrenched
> back then. The newer show is sappier. I'm surprised there aren't
> Indians and blacks running around the Dales, the producers being so
> woke in British TV now, to the point of violating history.

Both TV versions different from the orginal books ... as usual with
"based on" shows.

One example is a story inthe TV show about James finding a stray dog
which, after treatment, he gives to someone who's dog recently died ...
but in the books it was actually Tristan who found and gifted the dog.

> Also, in the original Tristan the brother was a serial womanizer who
> was a funny, outsized character in the original

The new TV series also has Tristan being a bit of a womaniser, at least
to begin with.

> and the new actor in the modern one just quit, probably disgusted with
> the weakness of the role.

It's not clear if the actor will be back or not. The actor did post a
photo from his last day of filming on the show, with the caption "Over
and out for now" ... whether that means the actor is coming back to
"All Creatures Great and Small" at some future point or simply that the
actor will be back in a different show. (He was previously on the show
"The Durrells" as the dim-witted middle brother.)

The actor is appearing in the upcoming movie "Heartstoppers" and it's
possible there was simply a scheduling clash. In the original show,
Peter Davison left the role of Tristan for similar "other acting
committments".

It's been a long time since I read the books, so I can't remember if
Tristan left in those or not.