If we spoke a different language, we would perceive a somewhat different world. -- Wittgenstein

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!

SubjectAuthor
* Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!Norbert K
`* Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!Mack A. Damia
 `* Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!Norbert K
  `* Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!Mack A. Damia
   `- Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!Norbert K

1
Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!

<e4133e90-7bc3-4690-b398-8a7045a2d236n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2169&group=rec.music.beatles#2169

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 03:46:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 11:46 UTC

On Saturday, December 9, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Sharon A. Lesakowski wrote:
> The following appeared in The Buffalo News, Thursday, 12/7/95:
> "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah"
> The Wall Street Journal pointed out, in the wake of the recent
> Beatles TV retrospective, that although plenty of footage
> showed the Beatles performing, very little showed them
> "composing" their songs. Well, that could be because they
> didn't. A friend of ours, a local jazz veteran (he demands
> anonymity, for obvious reasons), insists that's the case. "The
> Beatles didn't write their songs," he scoffs. "They had ghost-
> writers. Billy Preston was one. It was common knowledge among
> musicians. Come on," he said, "To write such a huge number of
> catchy hits, you would have to be a big genius. And the
> Beatles?" He burst out laughing. We admit he has a point.
> We've seen Lennon and McCartney talk, and though flip and cute,
> they never exactly showed the smarts of Cole Porter.
>
> HAS ANYONE OUT THERE EVER HEARD SUCH TRASH BEFORE??? What I'm
> asking is that anyone who reads this respond to The Buffalo
> News as kind of a protest. How they could actually print this
> is beyond me. While I could not find an E-mail address any-
> where in the paper, the fax number is (716)856-5150 and the
> snail mail address is The Buffalo News, One News Plaza, Buffalo,
> NY 14240. Send your responses to the attention of Mary Kunz,
> who writes "Buzz" (the section this appears in). And if it
> isn't too much trouble, could you reply by e-mail to me if you
> choose to fax or write. I'd like to get an idea if we've caused
> much of a stir.
> They didn't write their own songs? Yeah, right!

There's a video on Youtube in which somebody named Vince Russo interviews somebody named Mike Williams purportedly on the theme of "Proof the Beatles Didn't Write Or Play Their Own Songs."

Obviously the hypothesis is insane, but I was willing to give it a listen as a critical exercise. I thought it might be useful to debunk Williams' bad arguments. The problem is that Williams began his "presentation" by denying that there was any such thing as Covid 19! I fast forwarded through that -- only to find Williams rambling on about how the various national leaders were beholden to some sinister and unnameable higher force.

He had completely forgotten what he had come on the show to do and was merely promoting paranoia -- any paranoia.

Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!

<i44iog5oosj1ak9m9kadgqs9mbnupceio3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2171&group=rec.music.beatles#2171

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 03:59:01 -0800
 by: Mack A. Damia - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 11:59 UTC

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 03:46:06 -0800 (PST), Norbert K
<norbertkosky69@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 9, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Sharon A. Lesakowski wrote:
>> The following appeared in The Buffalo News, Thursday, 12/7/95:
>> "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah"
>> The Wall Street Journal pointed out, in the wake of the recent
>> Beatles TV retrospective, that although plenty of footage
>> showed the Beatles performing, very little showed them
>> "composing" their songs. Well, that could be because they
>> didn't. A friend of ours, a local jazz veteran (he demands
>> anonymity, for obvious reasons), insists that's the case. "The
>> Beatles didn't write their songs," he scoffs. "They had ghost-
>> writers. Billy Preston was one. It was common knowledge among
>> musicians. Come on," he said, "To write such a huge number of
>> catchy hits, you would have to be a big genius. And the
>> Beatles?" He burst out laughing. We admit he has a point.
>> We've seen Lennon and McCartney talk, and though flip and cute,
>> they never exactly showed the smarts of Cole Porter.
>>
>> HAS ANYONE OUT THERE EVER HEARD SUCH TRASH BEFORE??? What I'm
>> asking is that anyone who reads this respond to The Buffalo
>> News as kind of a protest. How they could actually print this
>> is beyond me. While I could not find an E-mail address any-
>> where in the paper, the fax number is (716)856-5150 and the
>> snail mail address is The Buffalo News, One News Plaza, Buffalo,
>> NY 14240. Send your responses to the attention of Mary Kunz,
>> who writes "Buzz" (the section this appears in). And if it
>> isn't too much trouble, could you reply by e-mail to me if you
>> choose to fax or write. I'd like to get an idea if we've caused
>> much of a stir.
>> They didn't write their own songs? Yeah, right!
>
>There's a video on Youtube in which somebody named Vince Russo interviews somebody named Mike Williams purportedly on the theme of "Proof the Beatles Didn't Write Or Play Their Own Songs."
>
>Obviously the hypothesis is insane, but I was willing to give it a listen as a critical exercise. I thought it might be useful to debunk Williams' bad arguments. The problem is that Williams began his "presentation" by denying that there was any such thing as Covid 19! I fast forwarded through that -- only to find Williams rambling on about how the various national leaders were beholden to some sinister and unnameable higher force.
>
>He had completely forgotten what he had come on the show to do and was merely promoting paranoia -- any paranoia.

There appears to be a "mass hysteria" among many on the right based on
insane theories.

Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!

<87af79fb-34ee-4768-a398-c06241a8fc83n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2172&group=rec.music.beatles#2172

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 04:51:48 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:51 UTC

On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 6:59:07 AM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 03:46:06 -0800 (PST), Norbert K
> <norbert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, December 9, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Sharon A. Lesakowski wrote:
> >> The following appeared in The Buffalo News, Thursday, 12/7/95:
> >> "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah"
> >> The Wall Street Journal pointed out, in the wake of the recent
> >> Beatles TV retrospective, that although plenty of footage
> >> showed the Beatles performing, very little showed them
> >> "composing" their songs. Well, that could be because they
> >> didn't. A friend of ours, a local jazz veteran (he demands
> >> anonymity, for obvious reasons), insists that's the case. "The
> >> Beatles didn't write their songs," he scoffs. "They had ghost-
> >> writers. Billy Preston was one. It was common knowledge among
> >> musicians. Come on," he said, "To write such a huge number of
> >> catchy hits, you would have to be a big genius. And the
> >> Beatles?" He burst out laughing. We admit he has a point.
> >> We've seen Lennon and McCartney talk, and though flip and cute,
> >> they never exactly showed the smarts of Cole Porter.
> >>
> >> HAS ANYONE OUT THERE EVER HEARD SUCH TRASH BEFORE??? What I'm
> >> asking is that anyone who reads this respond to The Buffalo
> >> News as kind of a protest. How they could actually print this
> >> is beyond me. While I could not find an E-mail address any-
> >> where in the paper, the fax number is (716)856-5150 and the
> >> snail mail address is The Buffalo News, One News Plaza, Buffalo,
> >> NY 14240. Send your responses to the attention of Mary Kunz,
> >> who writes "Buzz" (the section this appears in). And if it
> >> isn't too much trouble, could you reply by e-mail to me if you
> >> choose to fax or write. I'd like to get an idea if we've caused
> >> much of a stir.
> >> They didn't write their own songs? Yeah, right!
> >
> >There's a video on Youtube in which somebody named Vince Russo interviews somebody named Mike Williams purportedly on the theme of "Proof the Beatles Didn't Write Or Play Their Own Songs."
> >
> >Obviously the hypothesis is insane, but I was willing to give it a listen as a critical exercise. I thought it might be useful to debunk Williams' bad arguments. The problem is that Williams began his "presentation" by denying that there was any such thing as Covid 19! I fast forwarded through that -- only to find Williams rambling on about how the various national leaders were beholden to some sinister and unnameable higher force.
> >
> >He had completely forgotten what he had come on the show to do and was merely promoting paranoia -- any paranoia.
> There appears to be a "mass hysteria" among many on the right based on
> insane theories.

Can you imagine what a traditional conservative Republican -- a Barry Goldwater, a Ronald Reagan, even a Richard Nixon -- would think about what their party has become? They would think today's Trumpian, Q-Anon-accepting supposed Republicans were completely insane. And they would be correct in this thought.

Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!

<m3gioglpgsjn7gt04raj1bedm9d5imnuc7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2176&group=rec.music.beatles#2176

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 07:26:41 -0800
 by: Mack A. Damia - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:26 UTC

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 04:51:48 -0800 (PST), Norbert K
<norbertkosky69@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 6:59:07 AM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 03:46:06 -0800 (PST), Norbert K
>> <norbert...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >There's a video on Youtube in which somebody named Vince Russo interviews somebody named Mike Williams purportedly on the theme of "Proof the Beatles Didn't Write Or Play Their Own Songs."
>> >
>> >Obviously the hypothesis is insane, but I was willing to give it a listen as a critical exercise. I thought it might be useful to debunk Williams' bad arguments. The problem is that Williams began his "presentation" by denying that there was any such thing as Covid 19! I fast forwarded through that -- only to find Williams rambling on about how the various national leaders were beholden to some sinister and unnameable higher force.
>> >
>> >He had completely forgotten what he had come on the show to do and was merely promoting paranoia -- any paranoia.
>> There appears to be a "mass hysteria" among many on the right based on
>> insane theories.
>
>Can you imagine what a traditional conservative Republican -- a Barry Goldwater, a Ronald Reagan, even a Richard Nixon -- would think about what their party has become? They would think today's Trumpian, Q-Anon-accepting supposed Republicans were completely insane. And they would be correct in this thought.

The ones you mention would disassociate the Trumpsters, et al from the
mainstream Republican party. I wish we had guys like Dwight
Eisenhower around.

I don't think Biden will run in 2024. I don't know about Harris, but
I would be willing to vote for Republican Adam Kinzinger under the
right circumstances.

Re: DIDN'T WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS?!?!

<35d5b386-fefb-43ef-ade2-017ce60477can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3464&group=rec.music.beatles#3464

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 15:11:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 22:11 UTC

On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 7:26:47 AM UTC-8, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 04:51:48 -0800 (PST), Norbert K
> <norbert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 6:59:07 AM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> >> There appears to be a "mass hysteria" among many on the right based on
> >> insane theories.
> >
> >Can you imagine what a traditional conservative Republican -- a Barry Goldwater, a Ronald Reagan, even a Richard Nixon -- would think about what their party has become? They would think today's Trumpian, Q-Anon-accepting supposed Republicans were completely insane. And they would be correct in this thought.
> The ones you mention would disassociate the Trumpsters, et al from the
> mainstream Republican party. I wish we had guys like Dwight
> Eisenhower around.
>
> I don't think Biden will run in 2024. I don't know about Harris, but
> I would be willing to vote for Republican Adam Kinzinger under the
> right circumstances.

Kinzinger was impressive today on the January 6 Committee.

A pot-Trump Republican who is conservative for real, who understands the US Constitution and who doesn't deal in paranoid delusions or kiss Putin's ass? What an anomaly.

I'd vote for him in the right circumstances (i.e., depending on who the Democratic nominee is) too.