Prizes are for children. -- Charles Ives, upon being given, but refusing, the Pulitzer prize

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024

SubjectAuthor
* Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024Robin Miller
+* Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024Ian J. Ball
|+- Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024anim8rfsk
|`* Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024Robin Miller
| `* Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024Ian J. Ball
|  `* Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024Robin Miller
|   `- Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024anim8rfsk
`- Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024Adam H. Kerman

1
Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024

<l3mlglF10r7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216911&group=rec.arts.tv#216911

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:08:48 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:08 UTC

RM: With a total of three programs listed for broadcast and cable for
the three days, an LMN movie and two CBS "specials."

Previously released:

Thanksgiving (movie) (Netflix, Feb. 17)

One year after a Black Friday tragedy, a ruthless killer stalks
Plymouth, Massachusetts, to exact bloody revenge -- one complicit
resident at a time. 1hr 46m. 2023 film starring Patrick Dempsey, Nell
Verlaque, Addison Rae, Jalen Thomas Brooks, Milo Manheim, and Tomaso
Sanelli. Not available on Netflix's ad tier. "#2 in movies today"
(yesterday it was #1)

https://www.netflix.com/title/81753224

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1448754/ [rating 6.4]

Wednesday, Feb. 21

Streaming:

Constellation [new] (3:01 am, Apple TV+)

In Apple's eight-part conspiracy thriller, Noomi Rapace plays an
astronaut who survives a disaster in space, only to return to Earth and
discover that "key pieces of her life seem to be missing." Jonathan
Banks, James D'Arcy, Julian Looman, Barbara Sukowa, and William Catlett
also star. The first three episodes stream today, followed by
single-episode weekly releases through March 27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dAaLbsQSzI

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/constellation/ [score 66]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19395018/

Messi's World Cup: The Rise of a Legend [new; complete
miniseries] (3:01 am, Apple TV+)

The four-part documentary features interviews with coaches, teammates,
and Lionel Messi discussing his career that included five FIFA World Cup
appearances before finally winning in 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBItn7fx1EM

Can I Tell You a Secret? [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am,
Netflix)

Three women's lives are changed forever when a prolific stalker
infiltrates their social media accounts. And they're only a fraction of
his many victims. British documentary series.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81637286

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/can-i-tell-you-a-secret-netflix-matthew-hardy-b2499238.html

The Family Stallone (complete season 2) (3:01 am, Paramount+)

Sylvester Stallone and his family; 10 episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7k-HdVoJBM

Star Wars: The Bad Batch (final season 3 premiere) (3:01
am, Disney+)

The animated sequel/spin-off of Star Wars: The Clone Wars is set after
that series with members of Clone Force 99 (who call themselves the Bad
Batch) beginning new missions in the galaxies. 15 episodes; the first
three episodes arrive today, followed by weekly single-episode releases
through May 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa5zeHdSwdQ

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12708542/ [rating 7.8]

Love You to Death: Mommy’s Missing (documentary) (3:01 am, Tubi)

"The case of a missing mother reveals twisted family secrets that leave
a trail of flames, arrests, and deaths in their wake." Apparently part
of a series that began with last year's "Love You to Death: The Gabby
Petito Story" and "Love You to Death: The Jodi Arias Story." Originally
announced for last week; one hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PykXugQtydE

https://tubitv.com/movies/100016048/love-you-to-death-mommy-s-missing

Broadcast and cable:

The Price Is Right at Night (special) (8 pm, CBS)

Dolly Parton's Pet Gala (special) (9-11 pm, CBS)

https://dollyparton.com/life-and-career/dolly-partons-pet-gala-to-air-february-21-on-cbs

Thursday, Feb. 22

Streaming:

Death in the Dorms (complete season 2) (12:01 am, Hulu)

Returning for a second season, "Death in the Dorms" follows six chilling
stories of college students from different schools whose lives were
tragically cut short by violent crime: Jackson State University
accounting major Latasha Norman, Louisiana State University first-year
student Max Gruver, University of Miami linebacker Marlin Barnes and his
friend Timwanika Lumpkins, Temple University film studies student Jenna
Burleigh, Binghamton University nursing student Haley Anderson, and
College of Charleston student Patrick Moffly. Six episodes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt24246994/ [rating 6.6]

Avatar: The Last Airbender [new; complete season 1] (3:01
am, Netflix)

Netflix's highly-anticipated fantasy adventure series is a live-action
remake of the popular Nickelodeon animated series of the same name.
Though it is billed as being authentic to the original, it will no
longer feature contributions from original series creators Bryan
Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino after the pair dropped out of the
project due to creative differences. The sprawling ensemble cast
includes Gordon Cormier, Daniel Dae Kim, Utkarsh Ambudkar, George Takei,
Danny Pudi, A Martinez, Ken Leung, Amber Midthunder, and Arden Cho. All
eight episodes stream today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEmlE9Ianuo

https://www.netflix.com/title/80237957

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9018736/

The Indrani Mukerjea Story: Buried Truth [new; complete season 1]
(3:01 am, Netflix)

The spine-chilling story of the Sheena Bora Murder case that sent shock
waves throughout India.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck14vNyn5wY

https://www.netflix.com/title/81150989

Rory Scovel: Religion, Sex and a Few Things in Between (comedy
special) (3:01 am, Max)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39H40-sJGW4

Broadcast and cable:

The Ex Obsession (movie) (8 pm, LMN)

Stylist Kim is happily married to John. On the way to a company event,
John raves over a new co-worker named Grant, and when Kim meets him, she
is shocked to realize it’s her ex-boyfriend. Unwilling to spoil John’s
excitement, Kim and Grant keep their history a secret. When John sees
Kim and Grant out together one day, he becomes consumed by jealousy and
confronts Kim, but she brushes him off. Unable to get over it, John
arrives home to find Grant on the sofa with Kim, and in a fit of rage
kills Grant. Worried that they will be implicated in the murder, Kim
directs John to impersonate Grant in a desperate cover-up that spirals
into obsession. Stars Chaley Rose, B. J. Britt, and Anthony Dalton II. A
2022 Tubi Original.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/the-ex-obsession

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20868642/

Friday, Feb. 23

Streaming:

The Second Best Hospital in the Galaxy [new; complete season 1]
(12:01 am, Prime Video)

Already renewed for a 2nd season, Amazon's latest adult animated series
(previously titled The Hospital) comes from Cirocco Dunlap (Big Mouth,
Russian Doll). The sci-fi comedy follows a pair of
intergalactically-renowned surgeons voiced by Keke Palmer and Stephanie
Hsu, who are joined in the voice cast by Maya Rudolph, Natasha Lyonne,
Kieran Culkin, and singer Sam Smith. All eight season 1 episodes stream
today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYiHP4mdLU

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11828386/

Poacher [new; complete season 1?] (12:01 am, Prime Video)

A group of Indian Forest Service officers, NGO workers, police
constables and Good Samaritans risk their lives trying to track down the
biggest elephant ivory poachers in the history of India and bring them
to justice. Indian series; eight episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdEJtvzT7jc

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt24364990/

Jenny Slate: Seasoned Professional (comedy special)
(12:01 am, Prime Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOloTPsBILw

Married to the Game [new; complete season 1?] (12:01 am,
Prime Video)

Provides unprecedented access to the lives of the wives and girlfriends
of Premier League footballers lkay Gündogan, Jorginho, James Tarkowski,
Matt Turner and Riyad Mahrez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eo0MyyOS98

Apartment404 [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am, Prime Video)

Apartment404 is an 8-episode retro reality variety program from South
Korea. The show is set in an apartment building where the six residents
trace the truth behind extraordinary events that occur in their
residences. With events based on true stories, each episode will have a
unique setting and take place in a different period. The 6 cast members
will split up into 2 teams, along with special guests, and compete
against one another. At the end of the series, one person will be
crowned the winner of the show.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31037265/

Sacred Soil: The Piney Woods School Story (documentary)
(12:01 am, Hulu)

A documentary film set against the culturally historical backdrop of one
of America’s oldest Black boarding schools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMCU4q9tvSE

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31113004/

Formula 1: Drive to Survive (complete season 6) (3:01 am,
Netflix)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024

<ur5bbq$397bg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216913&group=rec.arts.tv#216913

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:19:53 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:19 UTC

On 2/21/24 8:08 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

> RM: With a total of three programs listed for broadcast and cable for
> the three days, an LMN movie and two CBS "specials."
>

>         Previously released:
>

> Thanksgiving       (movie)        (Netflix, Feb. 17)
>
> One year after a Black Friday tragedy, a ruthless killer stalks
> Plymouth, Massachusetts, to exact bloody revenge -- one complicit
> resident at a time. 1hr 46m. 2023 film starring Patrick Dempsey, Nell
> Verlaque, Addison Rae, Jalen Thomas Brooks, Milo Manheim, and Tomaso
> Sanelli. Not available on Netflix's ad tier. "#2 in movies today"
> (yesterday it was #1)

Damn - sucks this went to Netflix...

>         Wednesday, Feb. 21
>

>     Streaming:
>

> Constellation       [new]        (3:01 am, Apple TV+)
>
> In Apple's eight-part conspiracy thriller, Noomi Rapace plays an
> astronaut who survives a disaster in space, only to return to Earth and
> discover that "key pieces of her life seem to be missing." Jonathan
> Banks, James D'Arcy, Julian Looman, Barbara Sukowa, and William Catlett
> also star. The first three episodes stream today, followed by
> single-episode weekly releases through March 27.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dAaLbsQSzI
>
> https://www.metacritic.com/tv/constellation/     [score 66]
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19395018/

I may get to this at some point...

> The Family Stallone       (complete season 2)         (3:01 am, Paramount+)
>
> Sylvester Stallone and his family; 10 episodes.

[roll]

>     Broadcast and cable:
>

> The Price Is Right at Night      (special)       (8 pm, CBS)

Drew!

>         Thursday, Feb. 22
>

>     Broadcast and cable:
>

> The Ex Obsession      (movie)       (8 pm, LMN)
>
> Stylist Kim is happily married to John. On the way to a company event,
> John raves over a new co-worker named Grant, and when Kim meets him, she
> is shocked to realize it’s her ex-boyfriend. Unwilling to spoil John’s
> excitement, Kim and Grant keep their history a secret. When John sees
> Kim and Grant out together one day, he becomes consumed by jealousy and
> confronts Kim, but she brushes him off. Unable to get over it, John
> arrives home to find Grant on the sofa with Kim, and in a fit of rage
> kills Grant. Worried that they will be implicated in the murder, Kim
> directs John to impersonate Grant in a desperate cover-up that spirals
> into obsession. Stars Chaley Rose, B. J. Britt, and Anthony Dalton II. A
> 2022 Tubi Original.

The ads make this seem pretty twisted. So, yes.

>         Friday, Feb. 23
>

>     Streaming:
>

> Priscilla       (movie; streaming premiere?)        (3:01 am, Max)

Yes, I think it is.

> When teenage Priscilla Beaulieu meets Elvis Presley, the man who is
> already a meteoric rock-and-roll superstar becomes someone entirely
> unexpected in private moments: a thrilling crush, an ally in loneliness,
> a vulnerable best friend. Stars
> Cailee Spaeny and Jacob Elordi; 1h 53m.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22041854/     [rating 6.6]

Will try to get to this eventually...

> History of Evil         (movie)         (3:01 am, Shudder)
>
> A family on the run from corruption takes refuge in a safe house with an
> evil past. What unfolds next will shake you to your core. Stars Paul
> Wesley (The Vampire Diaries) and Jackie Cruz (Orange is the New Black).

Nobody gets Shudder!!

> The Stepdaughter     (movie)       (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> After moving in with her dad and his new family, a seemingly sweet high
> schooler is willing to do anything to keep him to herself, including
> murder. Stars Judi Johnson, Blue Kimble, Cassidey Fralin and Annie Ilonzeh.

I only know Ilonzeh.

>     Broadcast and cable:
>

> None.

Wow.

> (end)

Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024

<62885866.730230298.584063.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216918&group=rec.arts.tv#216918

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:50:22 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:50 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> [...]
>> unexpected in private moments: a thrilling crush, an ally in loneliness,
>> a vulnerable best friend. Stars
>> Cailee Spaeny and Jacob Elordi; 1h 53m.
>>
>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22041854/     [rating 6.6]
>
> Will try to get to this eventually...
>
>> History of Evil         (movie)         (3:01 am, Shudder)
>>
>> A family on the run from corruption takes refuge in a safe house with an
>> evil past. What unfolds next will shake you to your core. Stars Paul
>> Wesley (The Vampire Diaries) and Jackie Cruz (Orange is the New Black).
>
> Nobody gets Shudder!!
>
>> The Stepdaughter     (movie)       (3:01 am, Tubi)
>>
>> After moving in with her dad and his new family, a seemingly sweet high
>> schooler is willing to do anything to keep him to herself, including
>> murder. Stars Judi Johnson, Blue Kimble, Cassidey Fralin and Annie Ilonzeh.

I think that sums it up.

> Wow.
>

>> (end)

Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024

<l3muruF2n20U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216920&group=rec.arts.tv#216920

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:48:25 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 18:48 UTC

Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2/21/24 8:08 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
>

>>          Friday, Feb. 23
>>

>>      Streaming:
>>

>> Priscilla       (movie; streaming premiere?)        (3:01 am, Max)
>
> Yes, I think it is.
>
>> When teenage Priscilla Beaulieu meets Elvis Presley, the man who is
>> already a meteoric rock-and-roll superstar becomes someone entirely
>> unexpected in private moments: a thrilling crush, an ally in
>> loneliness, a vulnerable best friend. Stars
>> Cailee Spaeny and Jacob Elordi; 1h 53m.
>>
>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22041854/     [rating 6.6]
>
> Will try to get to this eventually...

The Futon Critic lists it as a streaming premiere, so I went with that.
I added the question mark because IMDb says it's available through Prime
Video for $4.99. I didn't check to see if that's true, but if so, that
would make the Max listing an "included in the plan streaming premiere."
Or something like that. I decided that was a bit pedantic.

--Robin

Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024

<ur5o0r$3c2bv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216929&group=rec.arts.tv#216929

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:55:55 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:55 UTC

On 2/21/24 10:48 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
> Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2/21/24 8:08 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>
>>>          Friday, Feb. 23
>>>

>>>      Streaming:
>>>

>>> Priscilla       (movie; streaming premiere?)        (3:01 am, Max)
>>
>> Yes, I think it is.
>>
>>> When teenage Priscilla Beaulieu meets Elvis Presley, the man who is
>>> already a meteoric rock-and-roll superstar becomes someone entirely
>>> unexpected in private moments: a thrilling crush, an ally in
>>> loneliness, a vulnerable best friend. Stars
>>> Cailee Spaeny and Jacob Elordi; 1h 53m.
>>>
>>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22041854/     [rating 6.6]
>>
>> Will try to get to this eventually...
>
> The Futon Critic lists it as a streaming premiere, so I went with that.
> I added the question mark because IMDb says it's available through Prime
> Video for $4.99. I didn't check to see if that's true, but if so, that
> would make the Max listing an "included in the plan streaming premiere."
> Or something like that. I decided that was a bit pedantic.
>
> --Robin

It definitely is - the Prime Video (or Apple store) thing is basically
"video-on-demand", which is different than "streaming". This is the
"legitimate" streaming premiere, being on Max proper.

Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024

<l3n8mmF4cqtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216932&group=rec.arts.tv#216932

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:36:18 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:36 UTC

Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2/21/24 10:48 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball wrote:

>>> Yes, I think it is.

>>> Will try to get to this eventually...
>>
>> The Futon Critic lists it as a streaming premiere, so I went with
>> that. I added the question mark because IMDb says it's available
>> through Prime Video for $4.99. I didn't check to see if that's true,
>> but if so, that would make the Max listing an "included in the plan
>> streaming premiere." Or something like that. I decided that was a bit
>> pedantic.
>>
>> --Robin
>
> It definitely is - the Prime Video (or Apple store) thing is basically
> "video-on-demand", which is different than "streaming". This is the
> "legitimate" streaming premiere, being on Max proper.

OK!

:-)

--Robin

Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024

<217093117.730252759.602091.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216951&group=rec.arts.tv#216951

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:00:24 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 00:00 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Ian J. Ball wrote:

>>> The Futon Critic lists it as a streaming premiere, so I went with
>>> that. I added the question mark because IMDb says it's available
>>> through Prime Video for $4.99. I didn't check to see if that's true,
>>> but if so, that would make the Max listing an "included in the plan
>>> streaming premiere." Or something like that. I decided that was a bit
>>> pedantic.
>>>
>>> --Robin
>>
>> It definitely is - the Prime Video (or Apple store) thing is basically
>> "video-on-demand", which is different than "streaming". This is the
>> "legitimate" streaming premiere, being on Max proper.
>>

> OK!
>
> :-)
>
> --Robin

If I had the slightest idea what that meant, I’d argue with him

Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024

<ur6mhc$3lolr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216955&group=rec.arts.tv#216955

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 05:36:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 05:36 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Dolly Parton's Pet Gala (special) (9-11 pm, CBS)

>https://dollyparton.com/life-and-career/dolly-partons-pet-gala-to-air-february-21-on-cbs

I saw a few minutes of this whilst checking listings. She sang a song to
the puppies, not a very clever song. Her voice isn't what it once was.
She put her personality into this but the whole show stank of being put
together by people who are completely indifferent to television.

It's just sad and pathetic. Viacom should just sell off its spectrum to
cellular, take the billions, and go quietly out of business. Let Sumner
Redstone take it with him.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Selected programming for Feb. 21-23, 2024