From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Hal Clement centennial
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 14:18:28 -0400
 by: Gary McGath - Sat, 28 May 2022 18:18 UTC

Monday, May 30, will be the 100th birthday of Harry Stubbs, better known
to the public as Hal Clement or occasionally as George Richard.

In addition to being a noteworthy author, he was one of the most
pleasant guests at SF conventions and did good presentations. On one
occasion -- I think it was a Philcon -- he and I were headed to the
restaurant at the same time and had dinner together. We just talked like
a couple of fans.

He was well known to NESFA, which re-published several of his works.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Hal Clement centennial

<t76if9$ioh$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2174&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#2174

From: kfl...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Hal Clement centennial
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 02:21:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 02:21 UTC

Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> Monday, May 30, will be the 100th birthday of Harry Stubbs, better
> known to the public as Hal Clement or occasionally as George Richard.

> In addition to being a noteworthy author, he was one of the most
> pleasant guests at SF conventions and did good presentations. On
> one occasion -- I think it was a Philcon -- he and I were headed to
> the restaurant at the same time and had dinner together. We just
> talked like a couple of fans.

I agree. I too shared a meal with him. He let me have his broccoli,
as he didn't like that vegetable.

He was among the hardest of hard SF authors. Half a century after
writing _Mission of Gravity_, he was still apologizing for getting the
shape of the planet wrong.

> He was well known to NESFA, which re-published several of his works.

Including at least one that I had never seen anywhere else. I don't
recall the title, but it was about a small billion-year-old AI.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/