From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [NEWS] "Baywatch" reboot lands at Fox
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 10:50:04 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 21:50 UTC

Strike 1: It's Baywatch!

Strike 2: It's a reboot!! (whether that a actual reboot or some sort of
sequel remains to be seen)
Just another Hollyweird resurrection by the lazy-ass generation
and will have little to nothing to do with the original anyway.

Strike 3: It's Baywatch!!! The worst thing Hasselhoff has ever done,
even worse than his "singing" and silly "reality" TV shows!

I'm out! :-p

'Baywatch' Reboot Lands at Fox
------------------------------
Like the end of a slo-mo music montage on the beach, "Baywatch"
reboot has found a home: Fox has closed on a script+penalty deal
for a new version of the long-running surf-sand-and-saviors
series from Fremantle.

Fox and Fremantle have tapped Lara Olsen ("Spinning Out") to
serve as showrunner for the new "Baywatch," which was originally
created by Michael Berk, Douglas Schwartz and Gregory J. Bonann.
Starring David Hasselhoff, "Baywatch" originally ran from 1989
to 1999 and then was retooled as "Baywatch" Hawaii" from 1999 to
2001.

Olsen, Berk, Bonann and Schwartz will serve as exec producers on
the one-hour drama, which comes from both Fremantle and Fox
Entertainment. Here's the new logline: "Daring ocean rescues,
pristine beaches, and iconic red bathing suits are back, along
with a whole new generation of Baywatch lifeguards, who navigate
complicated, messy personal lives in this action-packed reboot
that demonstrates there's the family you're born into and the
family you find."

This isn't Fox's first visit to the lifeguard hut: The network
also aired the TV reunion movie "Baywatch: Hawaiian Wedding" in
2003.

Besides Hasselhoff, the show's cast over the years included
Pamela Anderson, Yasmine Bleeth, Alexandra Paul, Erika Eleniak,
Nicole Eggert, Parker Stevenson and many others. Hasselhoff also
starred in a spinoff series, the private eye drama "Baywatch
Nights," which aired from 1995 to 1997. "Baywatch" was a
syndication sensation, airing in more than 145 countries at one
point, more than any other TV show. The series' PR company even
made up a stat, calling it the "No. 1 series in the world," which
was then reprinted as fact in publications.

The show was originally inspired by Bonann's time as a Los Angeles
County lifeguard. Bonann later became an Olympics filmmaker and
after years of pitching a show about lifeguards, eventually
meeting Berk and Schwartz. They originally developed "Baywatch"
for Grant Tinker's GTG shingle, which had a series commitment at
CBS. When the Eye network passed, the pilot "Baywatch: Panic at
Malibu Pier" was sold to NBC, which aired it as a movie - and in
success, picked up a 12-episode season.

"Baywatch" was a flop on NBC, and the producers managed to buy
back the rights to the show from GTG in order to produce new
first-run episodes in syndication. The producers recruited a
variety of investors, including a small distributor, LBS, as well
as an earlier version of Fremantle (which had distributed the show
internationally and saw the popularity of Hasselhoff in Germany),
UK outlet ITV and the Chris-Craft TV station group. All-American TV,
run by Scotti Bros. Records, agreed to invest as the show's
guarantor, and then took over as distributor when LBS went bankrupt.
Pearson TV later bought All-American; Pearson eventually became a
part of FremantleMedia, which was created via a series of mergers
by Germany's Bertelsmann in 2001. (FremantleMedia became Fremantle
in 2018.)

And that is the long road to how "Baywatch" ended up a marquee
title in the Fremantle library. A "Baywatch" reboot has been
discussed in the past; most recently a "Baywatch" film starring
Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron was released in 2017. That movie
grossed $178 million globally.

As for Olsen, she's very familiar with rebooting classic TV
franchises, having worked on the revivals of "90210" and "Beauty and
the Beast," both at The CW. Her other credits include "Blood and
Treasure," "Reign," "Life Unexpected" and "Private Practice." Olsen
is repped by Independent Artist Group and attorney Melissa Rogal.

<https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/baywatch-reboot-fox-fremantle-1235871572/>

Re: [NEWS] "Baywatch" reboot lands at Fox

<_DqdnWXNYtRA1nv4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=217959&group=rec.arts.tv#217959

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [NEWS] "Baywatch" reboot lands at Fox
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 22:31:57 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:31 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> Strike 1: It's Baywatch!
>
> Strike 2: It's a reboot!! (whether that a actual reboot or some sort of
> sequel remains to be seen)
> Just another Hollyweird resurrection by the lazy-ass generation
> and will have little to nothing to do with the original anyway.
>
> Strike 3: It's Baywatch!!! The worst thing Hasselhoff has ever done,
> even worse than his "singing" and silly "reality" TV shows!
>
> I'm out! :-p

I'd be okay with this if it was actually a reboot in the spirit of the
original, which was just cheesy enough to be entertaining while featuring
some of the hottest women on the planet in skimpy beachwear.

But you just know that Hollywood's 'progressive' ideology will infect this
show and we'll get all sorts of gay storylines and probably even have a
troon dude running down the beach in a bikini pretending to be a woman.

I just hope they shoot on location here in L.A. so they'll be in my
neighborhood again with that delicious craft services food we used to get
when 90210 was shooting here.

And if they want to bring Hi-Ho Daddario along, I'd be happy to work as her
personal assistant for no pay.

Re: [NEWS] "Baywatch" reboot lands at Fox

<686427945.731292246.666112.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=217988&group=rec.arts.tv#217988

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 01:07:38 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 08:07 UTC

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>
>> Strike 1: It's Baywatch!
>>
>> Strike 2: It's a reboot!! (whether that a actual reboot or some sort of
>> sequel remains to be seen)
>> Just another Hollyweird resurrection by the lazy-ass generation
>> and will have little to nothing to do with the original anyway.
>>
>> Strike 3: It's Baywatch!!! The worst thing Hasselhoff has ever done,
>> even worse than his "singing" and silly "reality" TV shows!
>>
>> I'm out! :-p
>
> I'd be okay with this if it was actually a reboot in the spirit of the
> original, which was just cheesy enough to be entertaining while featuring
> some of the hottest women on the planet in skimpy beachwear.
>
> But you just know that Hollywood's 'progressive' ideology will infect this
> show and we'll get all sorts of gay storylines and probably even have a
> troon dude running down the beach in a bikini pretending to be a woman.
>
> I just hope they shoot on location here in L.A. so they'll be in my
> neighborhood again with that delicious craft services food we used to get
> when 90210 was shooting here.
>
> And if they want to bring Hi-Ho Daddario along, I'd be happy to work as her
> personal assistant for no pay.

I can hear you singing this song now, hi ho, hi ho, it’s off to work I go…