All is well that ends well. -- John Heywood

arts / rec.arts.tv / Facebook go boom

SubjectAuthor
* Facebook go boomanim8rfsk
+* Re: Facebook go boomRhino
|`* Re: Facebook go boomsuper70s
| `- Re: Facebook go boomsuzeeq
+* Re: Facebook go boomanim8rfsk
|`- Re: Facebook go boomsuzeeq
+* Re: Facebook go boomDimensional Traveler
|+* Re: Facebook go boomYour Name
||`- Re: Facebook go boomDimensional Traveler
|`- Re: Facebook go boomanim8rfsk
`- Re: Facebook go boomBlueshirt

1
Facebook go boom

<1885407861.731346550.981067.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218012&group=rec.arts.tv#218012

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Facebook go boom
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 09:07:37 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 16:07 UTC

A friend of mine told me he couldn’t login to the Facebook via browser. So
I tried it (I was already on the app) and got some sort of weird failure
error that asked for my cell number and my password. My friend had already
told me that giving them that information didn’t get you in. So I tried the
app and found out I could no longer post and was getting really weird
errors about that. And then messenger screamed and died.

Both of them want your cell number and password and none of it actually
works.

I’m thinking somebody’s hacked them and is harvesting every single account
as people try to login again.

Re: Facebook go boom

<20240305113639.00006d55@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218013&group=rec.arts.tv#218013

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Facebook go boom
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 11:36:39 -0500
 by: Rhino - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 16:36 UTC

On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 09:07:37 -0700
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> A friend of mine told me he couldn’t login to the Facebook via
> browser. So I tried it (I was already on the app) and got some sort
> of weird failure error that asked for my cell number and my password.
> My friend had already told me that giving them that information
> didn’t get you in. So I tried the app and found out I could no longer
> post and was getting really weird errors about that. And then
> messenger screamed and died.
>
> Both of them want your cell number and password and none of it
> actually works.
>
> I’m thinking somebody’s hacked them and is harvesting every single
> account as people try to login again.

I suspect you're right. That's exactly what it sounds like. In fact,
that IS what happened! I just found several articles online about
Facebook being hacked. Here's one:

https://www.newsweek.com/facebook-down-users-report-accounts-hacked-1876106

There's no official confirmation from Meta yet.

--
Rhino

Re: Facebook go boom

<us7ifh$3ru4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218016&group=rec.arts.tv#218016

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 10:49:53 -0600
 by: super70s - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 16:49 UTC

On 2024-03-05 16:36:39 +0000, Rhino said:

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 09:07:37 -0700
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine told me he couldn’t login to the Facebook via
>> browser. So I tried it (I was already on the app) and got some sort
>> of weird failure error that asked for my cell number and my password.
>> My friend had already told me that giving them that information
>> didn’t get you in. So I tried the app and found out I could no longer
>> post and was getting really weird errors about that. And then
>> messenger screamed and died.
>>
>> Both of them want your cell number and password and none of it
>> actually works.
>>
>> I’m thinking somebody’s hacked them and is harvesting every single
>> account as people try to login again.
>>

> I suspect you're right. That's exactly what it sounds like. In fact,
> that IS what happened! I just found several articles online about
> Facebook being hacked. Here's one:
>
> https://www.newsweek.com/facebook-down-users-report-accounts-hacked-1876106
>
> There's no official confirmation from Meta yet.

Just as I suspected, it all leads back to the Tay Tay mothership.

Re: Facebook go boom

<1928708342.731347705.617577.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218017&group=rec.arts.tv#218017

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 10:10:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 17:10 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> A friend of mine told me he couldn’t login to the Facebook via browser. So
> I tried it (I was already on the app) and got some sort of weird failure
> error that asked for my cell number and my password. My friend had already
> told me that giving them that information didn’t get you in. So I tried the
> app and found out I could no longer post and was getting really weird
> errors about that. And then messenger screamed and died.
>
> Both of them want your cell number and password and none of it actually
> works.
>
> I’m thinking somebody’s hacked them and is harvesting every single account
> as people try to login again.

https://apple.news/Ayd0AwLRVSpKPC6b4SWA3rw

Meta service outage causing Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, and Threads to
go down
Avatar for Zac Hall
Zac Hall
| Mar 5 2024 - 7:29 am PT

Did you just get randomly signed out of Facebook? It’s not just you. The
platform is facing an outage that has logged out users. The outage will
cause your password to be rejected, but your password isn’t wrong.

Rather than showing a skeleton version of the site, Facebook will
automatically kick you out. An error message saying that your log in has
expired will appear, and your credentials will be rejected when you try to
log back in.
The outage is also affecting Instagram as well as Messenger. Threads too.
Anyway, no need to change your password (yet). You’re not being phished.
Top comment by Mel issa
Liked by 2 people
Down for all of us in Taiwan too. Friends in Singapore, Australia and the
UK also reporting. Definitely more than 300,000 affected.
View all comments
It’s actually a Meta service disruption. Even Meta Quest headsets are
signed out which prevents Horizon Worlds from functioning. In other words,
the metaverse is down.
More than 300,000 reports have hit Down Detector since first reporting, and
Twitter/X is flooded with reports as well.
We’ll post an update when the service returns to normal. We’ve also reached
out for a statement and will add if we hear back.
Andy Stone, head of comms at Meta, addressed the outage on Twitter/X:

Re: Facebook go boom

<us7joj$3s71l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218018&group=rec.arts.tv#218018

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 09:11:47 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 17:11 UTC

On 3/5/2024 8:49 AM, super70s wrote:
> On 2024-03-05 16:36:39 +0000, Rhino said:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 09:07:37 -0700
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> A friend of mine told me he couldn’t login to the Facebook via
>>> browser. So I tried it (I was already on the app) and got some sort
>>> of weird failure error that asked for my cell number and my password.
>>> My friend had already told me that giving them that information
>>> didn’t get you in. So I tried the app and found out I could no longer
>>> post and was getting really weird errors about that. And then
>>> messenger screamed and died.
>>>
>>> Both of them want your cell number and password and none of it
>>> actually works.
>>>
>>> I’m thinking somebody’s hacked them and is harvesting every single
>>> account as people try to login again.
>>>

>> I suspect you're right. That's exactly what it sounds like. In fact,
>> that IS what happened! I just found several articles online about
>> Facebook being hacked. Here's one:
>>
>> https://www.newsweek.com/facebook-down-users-report-accounts-hacked-1876106
>>

>> There's no official confirmation from Meta yet.
>
> Just as I suspected, it all leads back to the Tay Tay mothership.

I just logged into FB after being away from it for about a month, and
used a new computer too. Had no problem.

Re: Facebook go boom

<us7jrd$3s71l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218019&group=rec.arts.tv#218019

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 09:13:17 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 17:13 UTC

On 3/5/2024 9:10 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> A friend of mine told me he couldn’t login to the Facebook via browser. So
>> I tried it (I was already on the app) and got some sort of weird failure
>> error that asked for my cell number and my password. My friend had already
>> told me that giving them that information didn’t get you in. So I tried the
>> app and found out I could no longer post and was getting really weird
>> errors about that. And then messenger screamed and died.
>>
>> Both of them want your cell number and password and none of it actually
>> works.
>>
>> I’m thinking somebody’s hacked them and is harvesting every single account
>> as people try to login again.
>>

> https://apple.news/Ayd0AwLRVSpKPC6b4SWA3rw
>
> Meta service outage causing Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, and Threads to
> go down
> Avatar for Zac Hall
> Zac Hall
> | Mar 5 2024 - 7:29 am PT
>
> Did you just get randomly signed out of Facebook? It’s not just you. The
> platform is facing an outage that has logged out users. The outage will
> cause your password to be rejected, but your password isn’t wrong.

That must be why I had no problem. I haven't been on the page for about
a month and signed in without going through all the trouble you did.

> Rather than showing a skeleton version of the site, Facebook will
> automatically kick you out. An error message saying that your log in has
> expired will appear, and your credentials will be rejected when you try to
> log back in.
> The outage is also affecting Instagram as well as Messenger. Threads too.
> Anyway, no need to change your password (yet). You’re not being phished.
> Top comment by Mel issa
> Liked by 2 people
> Down for all of us in Taiwan too. Friends in Singapore, Australia and the
> UK also reporting. Definitely more than 300,000 affected.
> View all comments
> It’s actually a Meta service disruption. Even Meta Quest headsets are
> signed out which prevents Horizon Worlds from functioning. In other words,
> the metaverse is down.
> More than 300,000 reports have hit Down Detector since first reporting, and
> Twitter/X is flooded with reports as well.
> We’ll post an update when the service returns to normal. We’ve also reached
> out for a statement and will add if we hear back.
> Andy Stone, head of comms at Meta, addressed the outage on Twitter/X:

Re: Facebook go boom

<us7ufe$3uj4q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218026&group=rec.arts.tv#218026

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 12:14:40 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:14 UTC

On 3/5/2024 8:07 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> A friend of mine told me he couldn’t login to the Facebook via browser. So
> I tried it (I was already on the app) and got some sort of weird failure
> error that asked for my cell number and my password. My friend had already
> told me that giving them that information didn’t get you in. So I tried the
> app and found out I could no longer post and was getting really weird
> errors about that. And then messenger screamed and died.
>
> Both of them want your cell number and password and none of it actually
> works.
>
> I’m thinking somebody’s hacked them and is harvesting every single account
> as people try to login again.

And Facebook imploding and disappearing into a cyber-blackhole is bad
because....?

dirty old man.

Re: Facebook go boom

<us83rj$3vm64$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218027&group=rec.arts.tv#218027

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:46:27 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:46 UTC

On 2024-03-05 20:14:40 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:
> On 3/5/2024 8:07 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> A friend of mine told me he couldn’t login to the Facebook via browser. So
>> I tried it (I was already on the app) and got some sort of weird failure
>> error that asked for my cell number and my password. My friend had already
>> told me that giving them that information didn’t get you in. So I tried the
>> app and found out I could no longer post and was getting really weird
>> errors about that. And then messenger screamed and died.
>>
>> Both of them want your cell number and password and none of it actually
>> works.
>>
>> I’m thinking somebody’s hacked them and is harvesting every single account
>> as people try to login again.
>
> And Facebook imploding and disappearing into a cyber-blackhole is bad
> because....?

Because it didn't take all the other idiotic "Social Media" websites
with it. :-p

Re: Facebook go boom

<xn0oiz3u14gfi7z001@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218028&group=rec.arts.tv#218028

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:01:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:01 UTC

anim8rfsk wrote:

> A friend of mine told me he couldn’t login to the Facebook via
> browser. So I tried it (I was already on the app) and got some
> sort of weird failure error that asked for my cell number and
> my password. My friend had already told me that giving them
> that information didn’t get you in. So I tried the app and
> found out I could no longer post and was getting really weird
> errors about that. And then messenger screamed and died.
>
> Both of them want your cell number and password and none of it
> actually works.
>
> I’m thinking somebody’s hacked them and is harvesting every
> single account as people try to login again.

Worth a try.. somebody is gonna be harvesting people's Facebook
account data so whether it's Meta themselves or "hackers"
doesn't make a lot of difference in the long run. As there's no
such thing as a free lunch, with social media YOU are the
product.

Re: Facebook go boom

<490743401.731373421.838334.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218037&group=rec.arts.tv#218037

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 16:21:21 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:21 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 3/5/2024 8:07 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> A friend of mine told me he couldn’t login to the Facebook via browser. So
>> I tried it (I was already on the app) and got some sort of weird failure
>> error that asked for my cell number and my password. My friend had already
>> told me that giving them that information didn’t get you in. So I tried the
>> app and found out I could no longer post and was getting really weird
>> errors about that. And then messenger screamed and died.
>>
>> Both of them want your cell number and password and none of it actually
>> works.
>>
>> I’m thinking somebody’s hacked them and is harvesting every single account
>> as people try to login again.
>>

> And Facebook imploding and disappearing into a cyber-blackhole is bad
> because....?

There are lots of memes today, expressing similar sediments. Images of
Zuckerberg telling us to behave or he’ll do it again.

My favorite is probably “Wheeeee! Can we go again?”

Re: Facebook go boom

<us8aii$s0h$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218038&group=rec.arts.tv#218038

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 15:41:09 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:41 UTC

On 3/5/2024 1:46 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2024-03-05 20:14:40 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:
>> On 3/5/2024 8:07 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>> A friend of mine told me he couldn’t login to the Facebook via
>>> browser. So
>>> I tried it (I was already on the app) and got some sort of weird failure
>>> error that asked for my cell number and my password. My friend had
>>> already
>>> told me that giving them that information didn’t get you in. So I
>>> tried the
>>> app and found out I could no longer post and was getting really weird
>>> errors about that. And then messenger screamed and died.
>>>
>>> Both of them want your cell number and password and none of it actually
>>> works.
>>>
>>> I’m thinking somebody’s hacked them and is harvesting every single
>>> account
>>> as people try to login again.
>>
>> And Facebook imploding and disappearing into a cyber-blackhole is bad
>> because....?
>
> Because it didn't take all the other idiotic "Social Media" websites
> with it.   :-p

Sounds like a lawyer joke, "What are 1,000 dead social media sites?", "A
good start." ;)

dirty old man.