Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:33:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Kos, Krugman, and ~karlapoet~ (and Sarah Palin)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:33 UTC

On Sunday, January 16, 2011 at 6:23:51 AM UTC-5, Karla wrote:
> [...]
> >and his chosen party were doing, you (and your fellow ~poets~) have
> >been libelling me (and possibly others) for doing the same thing you
> >and your fellow ~poets~ were doing both before and since.
> >
> >> You also can't seem to read. You resemble Sarah Palin because you get
> >> nutty
> >
> >IOW: Palin is 'nutty' because she objects to being called a murderer.
> >I'm 'nutty' because I object to being called a plagiarist. Right!
> >
> >> rather than do the obvious, cordial thing: apologize.
> >
> >"
> >Mar. 1,2009: "I'll commit to attributing any poetry I post
> >by anyone else, whether I think someone will recognize it or
> >not. I thought it was OK, as it's been done before and has
> >been treated as OK then. But I realize it's not as OK as I
> >
> >thought it was, and I will do my best to not do it again."
> >
> >https://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/ms
> >
> >g/7bb003bc76a94033
> >
> >March 1, 2009: "I posted a famous poem without crediting the author.
> >I'd seen it done before, and had been convinced that it wasn't
> >plagiarism. I still don't think it is, but I won't do it again."
> >https://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/msg/4ded20a8670f7193
> >
> >That wasn't the apology that was written for me to post (which was a
> >confession of intent to plagiarize), so I can understand why you
> >wouldn't want to count it.
> >
> >> Your huge ego
> >> blows it all out of proportion
> >
> >Out of proportion? You know most magazines won't touch my work now.
> >They don't know the details and don't want to; they just want to avoid
> >lawsuits. I've been blacklisted, for your fun.
> Most magazines...how many? I have the 2010 Writer's Market. I bet there
> are a thousand magazines in there. Did *most* magazines communicate that to
> you in writing? Are you sure it isn't because your poetry isn't up to
> their standards or maybe didn't fit their magazine? How did *most*
> magazines blacklist you? And I don't think it's fun - the day you wrote
> "Hmmm ... What do you think of this?" and posted the Cohen poem, I got
> pissed and let you know it. As I wrote then, I thought you were playing the
> gotcha game and I didn't like the imagist thread being derailed.
> >> and the next thing you know, you're drawing
> >> lines in the sand with every single post made, advancing names for this
> >> group and that group.
> >
> >I came up with one name: I've withdrawn it and advanced another one.
> >
> >> never forgetting the past. In other words, playing
> >> the victim.
> >
> >Just how many times in the last month has my alleged theft been
> >mentioned on aapc? Twice a week looks about right. When was the last
> >time you mentioned it. Last night, right? When before that? October,
> >the last time you were posting here, right? Who isn't forgetting the
> >past here?
> Anytime lately I read this group again, you're drawing lines in the sand,

I see that you'd already adopted the paranoid "Them" vs "Us" mentality in 2011.

> >> Palin doesn't have a political strategy. She has a news
> >> strategy. Turn everything into how she's a victim.
> >
> >I'm not even a Republican. But when Palin's being libelled, she's a
> >victim. Similarly, ...
> >
> >> Similarly, you go
> >> here:

> >> As I asked above, can you read? Nowhere did I say this person could do it,
> >> that person cannot.
> >
> >Well, maybe that part was unclear. I meant, you don't give any reasons
> >why you and the other ~poets~ can get away with it. Take your defense
> >of ~cytherapoet~ last night, which was just the same counterattack
> >she'd already used: To paraphrase, "It's not plagiarism, because --
> >you're stupid! You don't know what Yeats wrote! But we do, because
> >we're the ~poets~, so it's OK for us!"
> Is that how you deal with what you don't understand? You make up a mystical
> kingdom of people? And I did and still do think you'd recognize the Yeats..
> I don't think Dockery or maybe z would but their trip is music.
> BTW, did Denby plagiarize Arnold?
> >> You incorrectly summarize what I said. Why?
> >
> >As I said, maybe it was unclear. You defend yourself and the other
> >~poets~ and condemn anyone else for doing the same thing; but you
> >don't give any sensible reasons. All one has to go on is the fact that
> >you consider it acceptable, and defend it, iff a ~poet~ does it.
> You made that up. The record supports none of your fantasy.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Kos, Krugman, and ~karlapoet~ (and Sarah Palin)

<7bad8b48ed95b858880cb1a8c41e00a8@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=218888&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#218888

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:46:04 +0000
From: W-Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:46 UTC

On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 1:56:47 AM UTC-4, fake Jordy C forged:
> On Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 8:45:53 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> > Karla says:

> > > Why are you lying about this?
> > Play nice, Karla.
> > I'm not lying, but I can prove that /you/ are a liar, or have lied in
> > the past. Do you really want to play this game again?
> > > I didn't sue him for plagiarism.
> > I used the wrong term writing from memory, but the fact that he took
> > your entire poem and tried to pass it off as his own (& you being an
> > obscure poet, unlike Yeats, Cohen or Dickenson), to me, that looks
> > like plagiarism (but perhaps transformative, slightly).
> > Which is why I stated from the start that I was leaving the responses
> > mainly to Stuart Leichter (the only expert here) and you, who, though
> > not any more of an expert than I, have at least lived through a very
> > similar situation... so, I retract & edit, now, with apologies (though
> > I expect one from you for lyingly calling me a liar):
> > > And, I'm tending to let those who are experts on the subject, such as
> > > Stuart Leitcher, or those who are very well-read on the subject, such
> > > as Karla Rogers (who sued a man for Copyright Infringement & won the prize!), offer their learned opinions and attempt to take it
> > > from that point of departure.

> > > Depends on what the judge considers "plagiarism", and that seems to
> > > very from case to case, entire poems can be borrowed and used legally
> > > if the use is judged as "Transformative":
> > >
> > > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/msg/fa16bff48...
> > >
> > > Or
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/5swvfr6

> > > I know.
> > >
> > > By coincidence, I've been reading a book I was given for X-Mas and
> > > came across some law that used transformativeness. In sort of a hurry
> > > right now so I'll go into more detail later, but the law part is:
> > >
> > > "In the landmark case of Campbell vs. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc. (1994)
> > > the court ruled that the key factor in determining fair use is
> > > 'whether and to what extent [the new work] is 'transformative,'
> > > altering the original with new expression, meaning, or message."
> > >
> > > The article's illustrative example seems

> > > That "fair use" can also be in the form of parody:
> > >
> > > http://www.photography-forums.com/re-usenet-photo-galleries-t166123.html

> > > While
> > > set forth
> > > (1994).
> > >
> > > http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...977063&exact=1
> > >
> > > Fascinating and incredibly complicated subject, which I've learned to
> > > keep as open a mind as possible when it comes to make the judgemnet as
> > > to what is "plagiarism" and what is simply "unattributed borrowing" or
> > > what has become Transformative.

Or one of Nancy Gene's favorites, "John Dunne."