Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-22 (Friday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 08:30 UTC

I watched:

Star Wars BETRAYED by George Lucas | Time to Debunk All the Excuses &
Theories & RAGE Against This!:
George Lucas snuffed out the last hope for Star Wars when he sided with
Bob Iger and the Disney Board against Nelson Peltz, ensuring that
Disney will keep on destroying not only Star Wars, but Marvel and
Indiana Jones and the entire Fox catalog. Almost immediately desperate
fans started hatching wild theories and drumming up excuses for George,
and we're not having it! George Lucas owns this, and in this video,
Mexican Ironman and I explain WHY there can be no forgiveness for this
final betrayal! RAGE, RAGE against the dying of the lightsaber with us
now! #starwars #disney #lucasfilm
https://youtu.be/QISuqPSlSLg?si=ojTm2bwHbiUOkql8

Oh, That Rusty! sketch - SCTV - Martin Short, Andrea Martin, Eugene
Levy:
https://youtu.be/jYVAKfPYBqg?si=dFcYr85GDl4kA0QL

Shocking New Series Reveals The Horrors Of Kids TV - Brett Cooper:
The long-anticipated docuseries exposing the dark side of children's
television, "Quiet On Set," has finally been released this week, and
today we're diving into it.
https://youtu.be/o9VGmAKpQgI?si=hpshx0onqZEyCqEx

How Is It That Drew Barrymore Has The Wisdom Of A 19 Year Old?:
Drew Barrymore declares that after three divorces she feels "totally
liberated."
https://youtu.be/UWKyZtI1aKU?si=L3ot6NTx4mMYnW6v

X-MEN '97 (FIRST 3 EPISODES) | Film Threat Reviews:
Chris Gore and Alan Ng review episodes 1-3 of �X-Men '97,� now playing
on Disney+.
https://youtu.be/xqsPKwRAl5o?si=jI7qaEDVyJe_fQH7

THE UNEXPLAINED:
Several eps.

QUIET ON SET: THE DARK SIDE OF KIDS TV:
"The Darkest Secret". A former child-star reveals how he survived abuse
at the hands of his acting coach. The harrowing account traces how he
met his abuser on set, the ways this coach upended the child's family
and the challenges faced when the actor sought out police.

"Rising Stars, Rising Questions".In the 1990s, a new creator emerges at
Nickelodeon: showrunner Dan Schneider, who adds fun and mentorship to
children's television. He promotes emerging talent like Amanda Bynes,
but other female writers work in a toxic and sexist environment.

Holy crap! That was saddening and angrifiying!

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-22 (Friday)

<20240323-120308.0@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=219750&group=rec.arts.tv#219750

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-22 (Friday)
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:03:08 -0400
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:03 UTC

In article <UBI20240322@dont-email.me>, weberm@polaris.net wrote:
>I watched:
>
>Star Wars BETRAYED by George Lucas | Time to Debunk All the Excuses &
>Theories & RAGE Against This!:
>George Lucas snuffed out the last hope for Star Wars when he sided with
>Bob Iger and the Disney Board against Nelson Peltz, ensuring that
>Disney will keep on destroying not only Star Wars, but Marvel and
>Indiana Jones and the entire Fox catalog. Almost immediately desperate
>fans started hatching wild theories and drumming up excuses for George,
>and we're not having it! George Lucas owns this, and in this video,
>Mexican Ironman and I explain WHY there can be no forgiveness for this
>final betrayal! RAGE, RAGE against the dying of the lightsaber with us
>now! #starwars #disney #lucasfilm
>https://youtu.be/QISuqPSlSLg?si=ojTm2bwHbiUOkql8

George Lucas thinks Disney are stunning and brave for what they are doing to Star Wars. I think George's fat bank balance is the only reason he's team woke.

>Oh, That Rusty! sketch - SCTV - Martin Short, Andrea Martin, Eugene
>Levy:
>https://youtu.be/jYVAKfPYBqg?si=dFcYr85GDl4kA0QL
>
>Shocking New Series Reveals The Horrors Of Kids TV - Brett Cooper:
>The long-anticipated docuseries exposing the dark side of children's
>television, "Quiet On Set," has finally been released this week, and
>today we're diving into it.
>https://youtu.be/o9VGmAKpQgI?si=hpshx0onqZEyCqEx
>
>How Is It That Drew Barrymore Has The Wisdom Of A 19 Year Old?:
>Drew Barrymore declares that after three divorces she feels "totally
>liberated."
>https://youtu.be/UWKyZtI1aKU?si=L3ot6NTx4mMYnW6v
>
>X-MEN '97 (FIRST 3 EPISODES) | Film Threat Reviews:
>Chris Gore and Alan Ng review episodes 1-3 of �X-Men '97,� now playing
>on Disney+.
>https://youtu.be/xqsPKwRAl5o?si=jI7qaEDVyJe_fQH7

I was the right age for the original series and I was a total Marvel Zombie (What can I say? the people who introduced me to comics were Marvel zombies, they steered me away from everything else for a while). Back then the OG series was good enough for me, even though I also noticed the made some stories a lot more kid friendly. It would be a while before I embraced DC, not until I move to Europe, in fact. Then I was like "Why was I ignoring this (Batman TAS; Superman TAS, and JL/JLU) for those Marvel shows???" (not comparing the 2000s Marvels shows, I haven't seen them).

>THE UNEXPLAINED:
>Several eps.
>
>QUIET ON SET: THE DARK SIDE OF KIDS TV:
>"The Darkest Secret". A former child-star reveals how he survived abuse
>at the hands of his acting coach. The harrowing account traces how he
>met his abuser on set, the ways this coach upended the child's family
>and the challenges faced when the actor sought out police.
>
>"Rising Stars, Rising Questions".In the 1990s, a new creator emerges at
>Nickelodeon: showrunner Dan Schneider, who adds fun and mentorship to
>children's television. He promotes emerging talent like Amanda Bynes,
>but other female writers work in a toxic and sexist environment.
>
>Holy crap! That was saddening and angrifiying!

As a 90s kid who grew up with The Amanda Show, All That, and Drake and Josh, this was hard to watch. I certainly never connected any of the goofy things happening to anything sexual or inappropriate as a kid, but even at age nine I remember thinking that those All That dares were traumatizing. Looking back, some of those jokes were horribly cringe, those poor kids feeling like they didn't have a voice in what skits they do, at least in most adult skit shows actors usually have some input in what sketches they perform in. Knowing that things were even worse backstage makes it even worse to think back on, I very much remember thinking that being one of the Nick celebrities would be the coolest thing ever, its awful knowing how things actually were. Dan Schneider really is a piece of shit, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that he was doing even more that hasn't been confirmed, especially regarding Amanda Bynes, there was clearly some nasty stuff happening there.

I read Jennette McCurdy's book and while most of it is about her horrible abusive stage mom, she also talked a lot about Dan Schneider, who she always called "The Creator" and it lines up with what we heard here. He played favorites, was a control freak, had a short temper, and was extremely creepy and inappropriate with the young actresses on his shows. You look at him and I swear you can see him secrete slime.

The fact that they had two sexual predators on a set filled with children is just insane, while I don't know if Dan hired those guys specifically because he knew what they were, I feel like shitty people tend to find each other and he obviously made an unhealthy environment where vulnerable kids were easy prey.

Knowing what happened to Drake Bell explains so much, that was brutal to hear. Its so sad that he went through so many terrible things and it seems like he never got help, and then the cycle of abuse just continued. This doesn't excuse any of the awful things he has done, but it does give it a lot more context.

Uggg shut up internet people. How can you watch a whole documentary series about how hard child stars had it and then proceed to bully them online for not responding to this clearly awful situation in a way that you like. People really do tend to forget that actors and celebrities' are real people who have actual feelings.