Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The BeatlesJoe Mahoney
+* Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The BeatlesMack A. Damia
|`* Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The BeatlesNorbert K
| `* Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The BeatlesMack A. Damia
|  `* Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The BeatlesTom Seiler
|   +* Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The BeatlesRJKe...@yahoo.com
|   |`- Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The BeatlesNorbert K
|   `* Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatlesgeoff
|    `* Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatlesgeoff
|     `- Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The BeatlesNorbert K
`- Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatlesgeoff

1
Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

<f25f12b5-22e5-4dd5-b10e-c76dd5307aa1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2175&group=rec.music.beatles#2175

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 07:01:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles
From: joemahon...@gmail.com (Joe Mahoney)
 by: Joe Mahoney - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:01 UTC

On Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 5:37:19 PM UTC-4, Home Guard Chris wrote:
> Actually, I rate Ringo extremely highly, but we've all heard the quote:
>
> Someone: Ringo, of course, wasn't the best drummer in the world...
> Someone else: He wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles!
>
> My question is, where did it originate? I've seen it attributed to John
> and other people, but can anyone actually point to the interview/article
> where this first appeared?
>
> Just one of those things that's bothered me for years...
>
> --
> My band: feedback always welcome
> - www.thehomeguard.info/music.html

I just heard this yesterday from someone who worships the Beatles. He says Lennon said this thing. Of course, he also says that there is no way to play a chord on the bass. Anyway, I asked him where exactly John said it, and he couldn't tell me. It sounds kinda like one of John's offhand quips, but I don't know what to believe.

Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

<qggioglivl3ljsmu1q3f1er7vutsh9dq4p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2177&group=rec.music.beatles#2177

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 07:31:24 -0800
 by: Mack A. Damia - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:31 UTC

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 07:01:46 -0800 (PST), Joe Mahoney
<joemahoney1950@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 5:37:19 PM UTC-4, Home Guard Chris wrote:
>> Actually, I rate Ringo extremely highly, but we've all heard the quote:
>>
>> Someone: Ringo, of course, wasn't the best drummer in the world...
>> Someone else: He wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles!
>>
>> My question is, where did it originate? I've seen it attributed to John
>> and other people, but can anyone actually point to the interview/article
>> where this first appeared?
>>
>> Just one of those things that's bothered me for years...
>>
>> --
>> My band: feedback always welcome
>> - www.thehomeguard.info/music.html
>
>I just heard this yesterday from someone who worships the Beatles. He says Lennon said this thing. Of course, he also says that there is no way to play a chord on the bass. Anyway, I asked him where exactly John said it, and he couldn't tell me. It sounds kinda like one of John's offhand quips, but I don't know what to believe.

Regardless, Ringo is a very good drummer. Pete Best didn't have the
right "look" for The Beatles. He looked like he was a banker. Epstein
saw that.

Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

<uM2dnV6Kyc2QOBT8nZ2dnUU7-THNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2179&group=rec.music.beatles#2179

Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 11:30:32 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 22:30 UTC

On 9/11/2021 4:01 am, Joe Mahoney wrote:
> On Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 5:37:19 PM UTC-4, Home Guard Chris wrote:
>> Actually, I rate Ringo extremely highly, but we've all heard the quote:
>>
>> Someone: Ringo, of course, wasn't the best drummer in the world...
>> Someone else: He wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles!
>>
>> My question is, where did it originate? I've seen it attributed to John
>> and other people, but can anyone actually point to the interview/article
>> where this first appeared?
>>
>> Just one of those things that's bothered me for years...
>>
>> --
>> My band: feedback always welcome
>> - www.thehomeguard.info/music.html
>
> I just heard this yesterday from someone who worships the Beatles. He says Lennon said this thing. Of course, he also says that there is no way to play a chord on the bass. Anyway, I asked him where exactly John said it, and he couldn't tell me. It sounds kinda like one of John's offhand quips, but I don't know what to believe.

The quote was something along the lines of a reply to the question "Is
Ringo the best drummer in the world ?". The reply being "He isn't even
the best drummer in The Beatles".

Although Paul is possibly an adequate drummer in some styles, is was
probably more that John was simply in 'nasty-mode' at the time.

geoff

Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

<b0882b7e-7550-4358-a294-5da4402ac588n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2180&group=rec.music.beatles#2180

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 02:44:56 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:44 UTC

On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 10:31:28 AM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 07:01:46 -0800 (PST), Joe Mahoney
> <joemaho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 5:37:19 PM UTC-4, Home Guard Chris wrote:
> >> Actually, I rate Ringo extremely highly, but we've all heard the quote:
> >>
> >> Someone: Ringo, of course, wasn't the best drummer in the world...
> >> Someone else: He wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles!
> >>
> >> My question is, where did it originate? I've seen it attributed to John
> >> and other people, but can anyone actually point to the interview/article
> >> where this first appeared?
> >>
> >> Just one of those things that's bothered me for years...
> >>
> >> --
> >> My band: feedback always welcome
> >> - www.thehomeguard.info/music.html
> >
> >I just heard this yesterday from someone who worships the Beatles. He says Lennon said this thing. Of course, he also says that there is no way to play a chord on the bass. Anyway, I asked him where exactly John said it, and he couldn't tell me. It sounds kinda like one of John's offhand quips, but I don't know what to believe.
> Regardless, Ringo is a very good drummer. Pete Best didn't have the
> right "look" for The Beatles. He looked like he was a banker. Epstein
> saw that.

I've read so many far-fetched "theories" on this. When I finally heard a sample of Best's drumming, I saw that there was no need for any of the silly spectulations. Best couldn't keep time and was a lousy drummer. That alone is sufficient to explain his being replaced.

Factor in that his personality didn't mesh with the others', etc., and it's surprising they kept him as long as they did.

Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

<d79logh0ftjkmun8ut6co6s4ljuihu5c32@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2183&group=rec.music.beatles#2183

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 08:46:01 -0800
 by: Mack A. Damia - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:46 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 02:44:56 -0800 (PST), Norbert K
<norbertkosky69@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 10:31:28 AM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 07:01:46 -0800 (PST), Joe Mahoney
>> <joemaho...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >I just heard this yesterday from someone who worships the Beatles. He says Lennon said this thing. Of course, he also says that there is no way to play a chord on the bass. Anyway, I asked him where exactly John said it, and he couldn't tell me. It sounds kinda like one of John's offhand quips, but I don't know what to believe.
>> Regardless, Ringo is a very good drummer. Pete Best didn't have the
>> right "look" for The Beatles. He looked like he was a banker. Epstein
>> saw that.
>
>I've read so many far-fetched "theories" on this. When I finally heard a sample of Best's drumming, I saw that there was no need for any of the silly spectulations. Best couldn't keep time and was a lousy drummer. That alone is sufficient to explain his being replaced.
>
>Factor in that his personality didn't mesh with the others', etc., and it's surprising they kept him as long as they did.

Not to forget that "The Beatles: John, Paul, George and Pete" doesn't
sound like a successful band.

I imagine Ringo's name had a small part in the decision. George
Michael and Brian Epstein were entertainment geniuses. It was about
"image" as much as their music.

Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

<2fbefc19-0b7c-43fc-b596-be9ac632a3aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2192&group=rec.music.beatles#2192

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 03:19:31 -0800 (PST)
From: seilerb...@gmail.com (Tom Seiler)
 by: Tom Seiler - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:19 UTC

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 11:46:11 AM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 02:44:56 -0800 (PST), Norbert K
> <norbert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 10:31:28 AM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> >> Regardless, Ringo is a very good drummer. Pete Best didn't have the
> >> right "look" for The Beatles. He looked like he was a banker. Epstein
> >> saw that.
> >
> >I've read so many far-fetched "theories" on this. When I finally heard a sample of Best's drumming, I saw that there was no need for any of the silly spectulations. Best couldn't keep time and was a lousy drummer. That alone is sufficient to explain his being replaced.
> >
> >Factor in that his personality didn't mesh with the others', etc., and it's surprising they kept him as long as they did.
> Not to forget that "The Beatles: John, Paul, George and Pete" doesn't
> sound like a successful band.
>
> I imagine Ringo's name had a small part in the decision. George
> Michael and Brian Epstein were entertainment geniuses. It was about
> "image" as much as their music.
The funny thing is Ringo is a much better drummer than Paul.

Here is what Snopes has to say about the situation:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/

Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

<85cbd9de-3393-4f03-aee6-08188f45a02an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2193&group=rec.music.beatles#2193

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:39:28 -0800 (PST)
From: RJKel...@yahoo.com (RJKe...@yahoo.com)
 by: RJKe...@yahoo.com - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 19:39 UTC

On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 6:19:33 AM UTC-5, seile...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 11:46:11 AM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 02:44:56 -0800 (PST), Norbert K
> > <norbert...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >I've read so many far-fetched "theories" on this. When I finally heard a sample of Best's drumming, I saw that there was no need for any of the silly spectulations. Best couldn't keep time and was a lousy drummer. That alone is sufficient to explain his being replaced.
> > >
> > >Factor in that his personality didn't mesh with the others', etc., and it's surprising they kept him as long as they did.
> > Not to forget that "The Beatles: John, Paul, George and Pete" doesn't
> > sound like a successful band.
> >
> > I imagine Ringo's name had a small part in the decision. George
> > Michael and Brian Epstein were entertainment geniuses. It was about
> > "image" as much as their music.
> The funny thing is Ringo is a much better drummer than Paul.
>
> Here is what Snopes has to say about the situation:
>
> https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/

Drums were RIngo's main instrument, so I'd hope so! I do remember reading somewhere thT Paul was frustrated during the White Album sessiond because of Ringo's inability to play what Paul wanted, though.

Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

<b9e45670-fd2b-4ce7-ac8f-920f960c38dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2194&group=rec.music.beatles#2194

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:07:59 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:07 UTC

On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 2:39:30 PM UTC-5, RJKe...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 6:19:33 AM UTC-5, seile...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 11:46:11 AM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> > > Not to forget that "The Beatles: John, Paul, George and Pete" doesn't
> > > sound like a successful band.
> > >
> > > I imagine Ringo's name had a small part in the decision. George
> > > Michael and Brian Epstein were entertainment geniuses. It was about
> > > "image" as much as their music.
> > The funny thing is Ringo is a much better drummer than Paul.
> >
> > Here is what Snopes has to say about the situation:
> >
> > https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/
> Drums were RIngo's main instrument, so I'd hope so! I do remember reading somewhere thT Paul was frustrated during the White Album sessiond because of Ringo's inability to play what Paul wanted, though.

Paul was briefly involved with an American woman named Francie Schwartz. She wrote an article for Rolling Stone about that period, and describes Paul (whom she described as "an excellent drummer") trying to teach Ringo to play what he wanted -- resulting in frustration on both their parts.

The funny thing is, an older and extremely unstable Francie Schwartz posted to this group a few decades ago. Somebody quoted some of these passages to her and she denied having written them.

Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

<7o6dnb_UO8u0zhH8nZ2dnUU7-IfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2196&group=rec.music.beatles#2196

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 12:17:56 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:17 UTC

On 11/11/2021 12:19 am, Tom Seiler wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 11:46:11 AM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 02:44:56 -0800 (PST), Norbert K
>> <norbert...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've read so many far-fetched "theories" on this. When I finally heard a sample of Best's drumming, I saw that there was no need for any of the silly spectulations. Best couldn't keep time and was a lousy drummer. That alone is sufficient to explain his being replaced.
>>>
>>> Factor in that his personality didn't mesh with the others', etc., and it's surprising they kept him as long as they did.
>> Not to forget that "The Beatles: John, Paul, George and Pete" doesn't
>> sound like a successful band.
>>
>> I imagine Ringo's name had a small part in the decision. George
>> Michael and Brian Epstein were entertainment geniuses. It was about
>> "image" as much as their music.
> The funny thing is Ringo is a much better drummer than Paul.
>
> Here is what Snopes has to say about the situation:
>
> https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/

Nothing definitive there.

Just because John often "spoke fondly about Ringo's drumming ability"
doesn't mean that in one of his vicious and nasty turns that he didn't
utter something along those lines. After all he has said things along
those lines about each of the other members.

Just putting it out there - was John bipolar ?

geoff

Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

<-sGdnWz8sLKAFxH8nZ2dnUU7-XOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2197&group=rec.music.beatles#2197

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:12:29 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 03:12 UTC

On 11/11/2021 12:17 pm, geoff wrote:
> On 11/11/2021 12:19 am, Tom Seiler wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 11:46:11 AM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:

>>> Not to forget that "The Beatles: John, Paul, George and Pete" doesn't
>>> sound like a successful band.
>>>
>>> I imagine Ringo's name had a small part in the decision. George
>>> Michael and Brian Epstein were entertainment geniuses. It was about
>>> "image" as much as their music.
>> The funny thing is Ringo is a much better drummer than Paul.
>>
>> Here is what Snopes has to say about the situation:
>>
>> https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/
>>

> Nothing definitive there.
>
> Just because John often "spoke fondly about Ringo's drumming ability"
> doesn't mean that in one of his vicious and nasty turns that he didn't
> utter something along those lines. After all he has said things along
> those lines about each of the other members.
>
> Just putting it out there - was John bipolar ?
>
> geoff

Hmmm, this seems to be rather objective, and suggests 'possibly'.
Amongst other things !

https://joss.tcnj.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/176//2016/04/2016-Fade.pdf

geoff

Re: Ringo: Not the best drummer in The Beatles

<cba96761-0012-4571-8d8c-ec0a72095ba3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2198&group=rec.music.beatles#2198

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 03:32:37 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 11:32 UTC

On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 10:12:36 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> On 11/11/2021 12:17 pm, geoff wrote:

> >> The funny thing is Ringo is a much better drummer than Paul.
> >>
> >> Here is what Snopes has to say about the situation:
> >>
> >> https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/
> >>

> > Nothing definitive there.
> >
> > Just because John often "spoke fondly about Ringo's drumming ability"
> > doesn't mean that in one of his vicious and nasty turns that he didn't
> > utter something along those lines. After all he has said things along
> > those lines about each of the other members.
> >
> > Just putting it out there - was John bipolar ?
> >
> > geoff
> >
> Hmmm, this seems to be rather objective, and suggests 'possibly'.
> Amongst other things !
>
> https://joss.tcnj.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/176//2016/04/2016-Fade.pdf
>
> geoff

That is an interesting piece. I take issue with the author's claim that John "intuitively knew he needed Yoko to hush his inner demons." Yoko *intensified* John's demons. john's seeming hostility towards his best work (i.e.., his Beatles work) arose when he was with Yoko; I think it was induced by her. During the so-called "Lost Weekend," his pride in this work and his friendships with his former partners came close to resuming.

John's heroin phases also occurred on Yoko's watch.