From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Nolly episodes 1 and 2 (spoilers)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 04:14:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 04:14 UTC

p o
i l
e r

p a
c e

I'm watching this entirely for Helena Bonham Carter, whom I dearly love.
She'll forever be Lucy Honeychurch.

In a story based on a real life person, she plays the title character,
who played Meg, the owner of the Crossroads motel, on the long running
serial drama Crossroads. She was the star for nearly two decades, when
she was unceremoniously fired for pissing off the network bosses. She
loved giving her directors a hard time about staging and often changed
lines in the silly scripts.

Obviously she can carry a tv show but in the first episode, the actress
was so larger than life she wasn't playing off the other actors. I
enjoyed the second episode more, after she's been fired and as we see
her final episode in production. She's subdued and actually creates room
in the scenes to play off the rest of the cast. It was better.

It's kind of fun. One more to go.

It's on PBS Masterpiece, made for ITV.