From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Police make timely arrest
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 15:46:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 15:46 UTC

Here's something you almost never hear. Neighbors phoned in burglary in
progress. Police arrived in time to arrest burglar, finding him with
stolen goods and tools used to break in.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/03/29/burglar-arrested-overnight-after-call-of-burglary-in-process-police-said/

Re: Police make timely arrest

<atropos-011358.11334729032024@69.muaa.rchm.washdctt.dsl.att.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=220316&group=rec.arts.tv#220316

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Police make timely arrest
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 11:33:47 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:33 UTC

In article <uu6nos$c943$2@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Here's something you almost never hear. Neighbors phoned in burglary in
> progress. Police arrived in time to arrest burglar, finding him with
> stolen goods and tools used to break in.

But will he be charged appropriately, and if found guilty will he be
sentenced appropriately, and if sent to prison, will he be released
early after only having served a fraction of his sentence?

If not, then my state still wins.

Re: Police make timely arrest

<92be0jtm78h0e7moa4u7nq1tlebu311lg1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=220342&group=rec.arts.tv#220342

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 14:07:32 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:07 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 11:33:47 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <uu6nos$c943$2@dont-email.me>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> Here's something you almost never hear. Neighbors phoned in burglary in
>> progress. Police arrived in time to arrest burglar, finding him with
>> stolen goods and tools used to break in.
>
>But will he be charged appropriately, and if found guilty will he be
>sentenced appropriately, and if sent to prison, will he be released
>early after only having served a fraction of his sentence?
>
>If not, then my state still wins.

There's another possibility - seizure of the tools used in the course
of the crime which is what happened when our store was burglarized and
included the getaway car.

The police sergeant I dealt with said that would probably be the
primary penalty since they valued the car at roughly $12000 and
figured it was a 'slam dunk' case this the goods were recovered (with
our pricing labels still on them) and not a first time pair of
offenders). Our recovered goods were worth more than the car ($19-20k)
but the car was owned by the mother of one of the perps - and it was
NOT a first offence. Nobody paid for our broken door which cost about
$600-700 to replace the glass and the glazier's fee.

Re: Police make timely arrest

<20240330121230.0000338b@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=220408&group=rec.arts.tv#220408

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 12:12:30 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 16:12 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 14:07:32 -0700
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 11:33:47 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <uu6nos$c943$2@dont-email.me>,
> > "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Here's something you almost never hear. Neighbors phoned in
> >> burglary in progress. Police arrived in time to arrest burglar,
> >> finding him with stolen goods and tools used to break in.
> >
> >But will he be charged appropriately, and if found guilty will he be
> >sentenced appropriately, and if sent to prison, will he be released
> >early after only having served a fraction of his sentence?
> >
> >If not, then my state still wins.
>
> There's another possibility - seizure of the tools used in the course
> of the crime which is what happened when our store was burglarized and
> included the getaway car.
>
> The police sergeant I dealt with said that would probably be the
> primary penalty since they valued the car at roughly $12000 and
> figured it was a 'slam dunk' case this the goods were recovered (with
> our pricing labels still on them) and not a first time pair of
> offenders). Our recovered goods were worth more than the car ($19-20k)
> but the car was owned by the mother of one of the perps - and it was
> NOT a first offence. Nobody paid for our broken door which cost about
> $600-700 to replace the glass and the glazier's fee.

How long ago was this burglary? The reason I ask is that there has been
a noticeable shift in law enforcement attitudes since Trudeau was
elected in 2015 and implemented the major bail reforms that is plaguing
us with repeat offenders who don't have to wait in custody for their
trials and are immediately set free to continue stealing.

--
Rhino