Your heart is pure, and your mind clear, and your soul devout.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme Court

SubjectAuthor
* John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme CourUbiquitous
`* Re: John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme BTR1701
 +* Re: John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme trotsky
 |`- Re: John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme Ubiquitous
 `- Re: John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme Rhino

1
John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme Court

<ur5jkj$3b2nc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216923&group=rec.arts.tv#216923

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.hbo
Subject: John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme Court
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:38:51 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:38 UTC

HBO late-night talk show host John Oliver offered to pay Supreme Court
Justice Clarence Thomas a million dollars per year and give him a loaded tour
bus if he retires from the nation�s highest court.

The leftist comedian, who was accused online of trying to �bribe� Thomas,
made the offer on Sunday night: �One million dollars a year for the rest of
your life, if you simply agree to leave the Supreme Court immediately and
never come back.�

�Clarence Thomas is arguably the most consequential justice on the court
right now, and he�s never really seemed to like the job. He said, �It�s not
worth doing for the grief.� So, what if he can keep the luxury perks he
clearly enjoys without having to endure all of that grief,� Oliver continued.
�If you watch our show, you know jokes aren�t really our thing. This is real.
A million dollars a year until you or I die.�

Oliver said that Thomas deserved a �break� from �the meanness of Washington
so you can be surrounded by the regular folks whose lives you made
demonstrably worse for decades.�

�The good news is, I think we can help you with that because since your
favorite mode of travel might be in need of an upgrade, we are excited to
offer you this brand new top-of-the-line cray boat marathon motor coach!�
Oliver said of a multimillion-dollar tour bus that offered to give Thomas.

�So that�s the offer. $1 million a year, Clarence,� he continued. �And a
brand new condo on wheels. And all you have to do to return is sign the
contract and get the f*** off the Supreme Court. Talk it over with your
totally best friend in the whole world. Because the clock starts now. Thirty
days, Clarence. Let�s do this!�

WATCH:

�Get the f*ck off the Supreme Court!� John Oliver offers Clarence
Thomas a luxury motor coach, and $1 million a year, to resign from
the Supreme Court. (Video: HBO) pic.twitter.com/LUVD6zC5o3

� Mike Sington (@MikeSington) February 19, 2024

Carrie Severino, president of the Judicial Crisis Network, posted a clip to X
of remarks that Thomas made roughly a year and a half ago where he addressed
his critics in left-wing media.

�One of the things I�d say in response to the media � especially early on,
about the way I did my job, I said, �I will absolutely leave the court when I
do my job as poorly as you do yours � and that was meant as a compliment,
really,� Thomas laughed. �It really is getting to be mean.�

WATCH:

Justice Thomas to his critics in the media:

�I will absolutely leave the Court when I do my job as poorly as you
do yours.� https://t.co/DdL6ySayGb pic.twitter.com/98qv23FzsO

� Carrie Severino (@JCNSeverino) February 20, 2024

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme Court

<ZLednVywM8um90v4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216931&group=rec.arts.tv#216931

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.hbo,rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:25:15 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:25 UTC

On Feb 21, 2024 at 9:38:51 AM PST, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> HBO late-night talk show host John Oliver offered to pay Supreme Court
> Justice Clarence Thomas a million dollars per year and give him a loaded tour
>
> bus if he retires from the nation’s highest court.
>
> The leftist comedian, who was accused online of trying to “bribe” Thomas,
> made the offer on Sunday night: “One million dollars a year for the rest of
> your life, if you simply agree to leave the Supreme Court immediately and
> never come back.”

That's not a bribe. Oliver didn't offer to pay Thomas to use his office for
Oliver's benefit. He didn't offer to pay Thomas to vote one way or another on
a case pending before the Court.

Offering money to an official to quit his/her job isn't a bribe. If it was
every official who left public office to go work in the private sector would
be guilty of accepting bribes.

When Kayleigh McEneny left the White House to be a Fox News commentator--
presumably because they offered her a lot of money to do so-- was that a
bribe? Same with Jen "Circle Back" Psaki and MSNBC.

Or all the FBI and Secret Service agents who accept jobs with major film
studios and sports teams as director of security in return for high six
figures or seven? Are they being bribed?

No one has ever made that claim, so Oliver paying Thomas to leave the Court is
no different and not a bribe no matter what Matt Walsh says.

Re: John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme Court

<17b676461508ed47$1$3236063$c6d58c68@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=217018&group=rec.arts.tv#217018

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 04:12:31 -0600
Newsgroups: alt.tv.hbo,rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:12 UTC

On 2/21/24 3:25 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2024 at 9:38:51 AM PST, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> HBO late-night talk show host John Oliver offered to pay Supreme Court
>> Justice Clarence Thomas a million dollars per year and give him a loaded tour
>>
>> bus if he retires from the nation’s highest court.
>>
>> The leftist comedian, who was accused online of trying to “bribe” Thomas,
>> made the offer on Sunday night: “One million dollars a year for the rest of
>> your life, if you simply agree to leave the Supreme Court immediately and
>> never come back.”
>
> That's not a bribe. Oliver didn't offer to pay Thomas to use his office for
> Oliver's benefit. He didn't offer to pay Thomas to vote one way or another on
> a case pending before the Court.

Pubie's abject stupidity noted.

> Offering money to an official to quit his/her job isn't a bribe. If it was
> every official who left public office to go work in the private sector would
> be guilty of accepting bribes.
>
> When Kayleigh McEneny left the White House to be a Fox News commentator--
> presumably because they offered her a lot of money to do so-- was that a
> bribe? Same with Jen "Circle Back" Psaki and MSNBC.
>
> Or all the FBI and Secret Service agents who accept jobs with major film
> studios and sports teams as director of security in return for high six
> figures or seven? Are they being bribed?
>
> No one has ever made that claim, so Oliver paying Thomas to leave the Court is
> no different and not a bribe no matter what Matt Walsh says.

Re: John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme Court

<ura2id$h2j6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=217022&group=rec.arts.tv#217022

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.hbo,rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 04:30:42 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:30 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2024 at 9:38:51 AM PST, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> HBO late-night talk show host John Oliver offered to pay Supreme Court
>> Justice Clarence Thomas a million dollars per year and give him a loaded
>> tour bus if he retires from the nation’s highest court.
>>
>> The leftist comedian, who was accused online of trying to “bribe”
>> Thomas, made the offer on Sunday night: "One million dollars a year
>> for the rest of your life, if you simply agree to leave the Supreme Court
>> immediately and never come back."
>
>That's not a bribe. Oliver didn't offer to pay Thomas to use his office for
>Oliver's benefit. He didn't offer to pay Thomas to vote one way or another
>on a case pending before the Court.
>
>Offering money to an official to quit his/her job isn't a bribe. If it was
>every official who left public office to go work in the private sector would
>be guilty of accepting bribes.
>
>When Kayleigh McEneny left the White House to be a Fox News commentator--
>presumably because they offered her a lot of money to do so-- was that a
>bribe? Same with Jen "Circle Back" Psaki and MSNBC.
>
>Or all the FBI and Secret Service agents who accept jobs with major film
>studios and sports teams as director of security in return for high six
>figures or seven? Are they being bribed?
>
>No one has ever made that claim, so Oliver paying Thomas to leave the Court
>is no different and not a bribe no matter what Matt Walsh says.

You have a point, but you know these people would be screaming their lungs
out if a conservative had done it.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To Leave Supreme Court

<20240410184618.00003b89@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=221877&group=rec.arts.tv#221877

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.hbo,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: John Oliver Accused Of Offering "Bribe" To Clarence Thomas To
Leave Supreme Court
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:46:18 -0400
 by: Rhino - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 22:46 UTC

On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:25:15 +0000
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2024 at 9:38:51 AM PST, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net>
> wrote:
>
> > HBO late-night talk show host John Oliver offered to pay Supreme
> > Court Justice Clarence Thomas a million dollars per year and give
> > him a loaded tour
> >
> > bus if he retires from the nation’s highest court.
> >
> > The leftist comedian, who was accused online of trying to “bribe”
> > Thomas, made the offer on Sunday night: “One million dollars a year
> > for the rest of your life, if you simply agree to leave the Supreme
> > Court immediately and never come back.”
>
> That's not a bribe. Oliver didn't offer to pay Thomas to use his
> office for Oliver's benefit. He didn't offer to pay Thomas to vote
> one way or another on a case pending before the Court.
>
> Offering money to an official to quit his/her job isn't a bribe. If
> it was every official who left public office to go work in the
> private sector would be guilty of accepting bribes.
>
> When Kayleigh McEneny left the White House to be a Fox News
> commentator-- presumably because they offered her a lot of money to
> do so-- was that a bribe? Same with Jen "Circle Back" Psaki and MSNBC.
>
> Or all the FBI and Secret Service agents who accept jobs with major
> film studios and sports teams as director of security in return for
> high six figures or seven? Are they being bribed?
>
> No one has ever made that claim, so Oliver paying Thomas to leave the
> Court is no different and not a bribe no matter what Matt Walsh says.

Back in the late 70s, a lot of the people in this country were
fed up with Pierre Trudeau - just as we are now with his eldest son -
so someone started what they called T.E.R.F.: Trudeau's Early
Retirement Fund. It was basically a GoFundMe to raise a million dollars
from fed-up Canadians, then give it to him in exchange for his
resignation letter.

I don't know how much it actually raised or what became of any money
raised but it was talked about openly in the press, TV, etc. No one
ever raised any concerns about illegality or impropriety.
Unfortunately, Trudeau hung on for a few more years yet before finally
taking his "walk in the snow" where he decided to finally resign. Many
Canadians hope that his son would have taken the hint that his
popularity has cratered but he insists that he has to run again "to be
true to himself". (Never has he expressed his narcissism more openly!)
If there's any sense left in this country, he will finally be trounced
decisively at the next election. The difference is that a LOT of
Canadians want his post-political career to be spend in prison rather
than in quiet retirement like his father.

--
Rhino