God is the tangential point between zero and infinity. -- Alfred Jarry

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)moviePig
|   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)

<uvgtup$3n65v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222263&group=rec.arts.tv#222263

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 08:49:45 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:49 UTC

This weekend I need to try to get through a pile of work, and yesterday
I was variously very successful, and not successful at all! at it.

So, I managed to get through...:

soaps: GH - Thur's ep. Nothing really important happened this episode.
The next morning, Nina manages to catch Agent Jagger/John coming out of
the shower as Carly opens the hotel room door, immediately gets the
wrong idea, and goes running to Drew (and Michael) to declare the news!
(Even Curtis was appalled! And she didn't even deal with Carly's room
service complaint!!) More wedding dress, and honeymoon, shenanigans with
Brook Lynn (and Chase, and Lois). NuNuNuMolly goes to Alexis to complain
about a story Alexis did that has affected Molly at work; and Alexis
complains to Molly about Nina. I think that is all that happened...
GH - Fri's ep. Constantine continues to scam his grift on Maggie
(this time involving his visa), while Xander is trying to push him out
the door! Paulina is stuck in isolation after getting nuked for her
thyroid. Julie is tired of life at the Kirakis mansion, with all of the
kids! and escapes to the Horton cabin, only to discover Johnny and
Chanel honeymooning there, and is then stuck with them overnight due to
the weather! Thomas (Chad's kid) discovers Constatine's "The Pawn" card,
and palms it without anyone knowing (Constantine is going to lose it
when he realizes it is gone!!).

The Masters - Boy, after watching Day 3 here, I would never want to play
Augusta - the course is *brutal*!!
In the middle of Day 3, this was an inconclusive day, with
half-a-dozen people leading. But as the day wore on, more and more of
them fell away, leaving only Collin Morikawa in the lead, and then
Scottie Schefler, who hit an incredible birdie *drive* to hole the 18th
from the fairway, to take a one-stroke lead over Morikawa.
But it's still probably almost anybody's tournament on the last day,
though Scheffler and Morikawa are in the best positions to take it.

Secret Life of the Pastor's Wife (Lifetime) - This was decent. The
ending was kind of annoying where they sort of handwaved away the
obvious guilt of the main suspect, for dramatic effect, before revealing
- no, no, we were right all along: he really did do it!
I was annoyed that the pastor's wife's (Jennings Rice) "hott affair"
was actually only a one-time thing - I was hoping for way more
salaciousness out of this then what we got.
At least they didn't try to pull the "twist" where her bestie was
actually in on it - that "twist" just annoys me!!

So, what did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)

<1392450438.734810880.395774.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222272&group=rec.arts.tv#222272

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 11:59:53 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:59 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> This weekend I need to try to get through a pile of work, and yesterday
> I was variously very successful, and not successful at all! at it.
>
> So, I managed to get through...:
>

> So, what did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE ❤️
This is like the fifth thing they offered me free on Apple TV+.

The preview had Emma Stone who I like so I gave it a try. It stars Steve
Carell, who I’m not a fan of and I was about to click it off when they said
Marissa Tomei. OK, I’m in.

Carell plays an average guy who has a useless slut wife who is cheating on
him so of course she gets the house and the kids and he gets the efficiency
apartment. While he’s out complaining in a bar about his life, a womanizer
Takes pity on him and decides to teach him how to get women. It turns out
the secret is to wear a smaller size suit and not treat them very well.
Works every time.

So there’s some funny stuff, especially Tomei.

But it gets weird as it turns out that everybody is connected unknowingly
to everybody else about three different ways. many of which seem extremely
unlikely for no one to know about. And there is reveal after reveal after
reveal. So many reveals I can’t even keep track of them. Mr. Google says
there’s a big reveal in the third act in about Correll’s youngest daughter
and it’s the first time her face is shown, but I can’t figure out what that
reveal is nor have I been able to track it down.

There’s just no way everybody could be connected in multiple ways like this
in a town bigger than Mayberry.

So some good casting, especially in the lesser roles, some good
performances, especially in the lesser roles, lots and lots and lots of hot
girls, no nudity, and an especially happy ending for the youngest son. The
real life version of which can be seen. Thanks to Mr. Google, even though
it’s not in the movie.

But the plot is completely implausible, and it helps that all the
characters have unlimited funds, so they don’t have that to worry about.

It starts with Emma Stone, thinking Conan O’Brien is hot, which is
disgusting, and Lisa Lapira mocking him for looking like a carrot, which
was good. But then these characters disappear for the next 90 minutes!

Fred Bob is on the fence.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)

<uvhake$3pti6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222275&group=rec.arts.tv#222275

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:25:57 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 19:25 UTC

On 4/14/2024 11:59 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> This weekend I need to try to get through a pile of work, and yesterday
>> I was variously very successful, and not successful at all! at it.
>>
>> So, I managed to get through...:
>>

>> So, what did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE ❤️
> This is like the fifth thing they offered me free on Apple TV+.
>
> The preview had Emma Stone who I like so I gave it a try. It stars Steve
> Carell, who I’m not a fan of and I was about to click it off when they said
> Marissa Tomei. OK, I’m in.
>
> Carell plays an average guy who has a useless slut wife who is cheating on
> him so of course she gets the house and the kids and he gets the efficiency
> apartment. While he’s out complaining in a bar about his life, a womanizer
> Takes pity on him and decides to teach him how to get women. It turns out
> the secret is to wear a smaller size suit and not treat them very well.
> Works every time.
>
> So there’s some funny stuff, especially Tomei.
>
> But it gets weird as it turns out that everybody is connected unknowingly
> to everybody else about three different ways. many of which seem extremely
> unlikely for no one to know about. And there is reveal after reveal after
> reveal. So many reveals I can’t even keep track of them. Mr. Google says
> there’s a big reveal in the third act in about Correll’s youngest daughter
> and it’s the first time her face is shown, but I can’t figure out what that
> reveal is nor have I been able to track it down.
>
> There’s just no way everybody could be connected in multiple ways like this
> in a town bigger than Mayberry.
>
> So some good casting, especially in the lesser roles, some good
> performances, especially in the lesser roles, lots and lots and lots of hot
> girls, no nudity, and an especially happy ending for the youngest son. The
> real life version of which can be seen. Thanks to Mr. Google, even though
> it’s not in the movie.
>
> But the plot is completely implausible, and it helps that all the
> characters have unlimited funds, so they don’t have that to worry about.
>
> It starts with Emma Stone, thinking Conan O’Brien is hot, which is
> disgusting, and Lisa Lapira mocking him for looking like a carrot, which
> was good. But then these characters disappear for the next 90 minutes!
>
> Fred Bob is on the fence.

I saw it when it first came out, and I liked it at the time, but I don't
remember it.

I watched:

Psycho (4K disc) 1960 movie directed by Alfred Hitchcok and starring
Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates, everyone's favorite American Psycho.
The movie holds up very well.

Psycho II (4K disc) 1983 sequel which finds Perkins getting released
from a mental hospital and trying to move on with his life, but the
family of his one of his victims is determined to drive him insane. One
small flaw in their plan is he's *already* insane! I think this is
probably the first Psycho movie I ever saw when I was a kid.

Psycho III (4K disc) 1986 sequel directed by Perkins which finds Perkins
still trying to live his life but his urge to occasionally dress up like
his mother and murder people keeps getting in the way. I don't know
what the popular opinion was at the time, but this is actually a very
watchable background noise type of movie. I especially like the scene
when Perkins is in killer mode but takes the time to straighten a picture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Typvz53Ec&t=22s

Psycho IV: The Beginning (4K disc) 1990 made for TV sequel which has
Anthony Perkins back once again as everyone's favorite American Psycho.
But this is also a prequel which details Norman Bates backstory (young
Norman played by Henry Thomas) and details his life with his abusive
mother (Olivia Hussey from Romeo and Juliet). Not bad.

Law & Order: Special Victims - "Children of Wolves" - Mariska Hargitay
directs this episode which was all over the place. I'm not even going
to try and summarize it!

Law & Order: Organized Crime - "Semper Fi" - Stabler, who I think is
supposed to be a New York City cop, goes undercover in what didn't
appear to be New York City. I get if you're undercover you're not
confined to your city limits, but he didn't appear to be anywhere near
New York city! But I've never been to New York, maybe it's full of
forests and farmland.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)

<1815923207.734826736.349475.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222282&group=rec.arts.tv#222282

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:35:32 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:35 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> [...]
> probably the first Psycho movie I ever saw when I was a kid.
>

> Psycho III (4K disc) 1986 sequel directed by Perkins which finds Perkins
> still trying to live his life but his urge to occasionally dress up like
> his mother and murder people keeps getting in the way. I don't know
> what the popular opinion was at the time, but this is actually a very
> watchable background noise type of movie. I especially like the scene
> when Perkins is in killer mode but takes the time to straighten a picture.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Typvz53Ec&t=22s
>

> Psycho IV: The Beginning (4K disc) 1990 made for TV sequel which has
> Anthony Perkins back once again as everyone's favorite American Psycho.
> But this is also a prequel which details Norman Bates backstory (young
> Norman played by Henry Thomas) and details his life with his abusive
> mother (Olivia Hussey from Romeo and Juliet). Not bad.

Don’t forget this awful thing:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155975/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)

<17c647ca812665ea$39144$3340453$c0d58a68@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222283&group=rec.arts.tv#222283

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 19:00:40 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: nev...@nothere.com (moviePig)
 by: moviePig - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 23:00 UTC

On 4/14/2024 6:35 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> [...]
>> probably the first Psycho movie I ever saw when I was a kid.
>>

>> Psycho III (4K disc) 1986 sequel directed by Perkins which finds Perkins
>> still trying to live his life but his urge to occasionally dress up like
>> his mother and murder people keeps getting in the way. I don't know
>> what the popular opinion was at the time, but this is actually a very
>> watchable background noise type of movie. I especially like the scene
>> when Perkins is in killer mode but takes the time to straighten a picture.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Typvz53Ec&t=22s
>>

>> Psycho IV: The Beginning (4K disc) 1990 made for TV sequel which has
>> Anthony Perkins back once again as everyone's favorite American Psycho.
>> But this is also a prequel which details Norman Bates backstory (young
>> Norman played by Henry Thomas) and details his life with his abusive
>> mother (Olivia Hussey from Romeo and Juliet). Not bad.

It shouldn't have been, it really shouldn't. But it was.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)

<uvho94$3sjnm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222284&group=rec.arts.tv#222284

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:19:00 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 23:19 UTC

On 4/14/2024 4:00 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 4/14/2024 6:35 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I saw it when it first came out, and I liked it at the time, but I don't
>>> remember it.
>>>

>>> I watched:
>>>

>>> Psycho (4K disc) 1960 movie directed by Alfred Hitchcok and starring
>>> Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates, everyone's favorite American Psycho.
>>> The movie holds up very well.
>>>

>>> Psycho II (4K disc) 1983 sequel which finds Perkins getting released
>>> from a mental hospital and trying to move on with his life, but the
>>> family of his one of his victims is determined to drive him insane.  One
>>> small flaw in their plan is he's *already* insane!  I think this is
>>> probably the first Psycho movie I ever saw when I was a kid.
>>>

>>> Psycho III (4K disc) 1986 sequel directed by Perkins which finds Perkins
>>> still trying to live his life but his urge to occasionally dress up like
>>> his mother and murder people keeps getting in the way.  I don't know
>>> what the popular opinion was at the time, but this is actually a very
>>> watchable background noise type of movie.  I especially like the scene
>>> when Perkins is in killer mode but takes the time to straighten a
>>> picture.
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Typvz53Ec&t=22s
>>>

>>> Psycho IV: The Beginning (4K disc) 1990 made for TV sequel which has
>>> Anthony Perkins back once again as everyone's favorite American Psycho.
>>> But this is also a prequel which details Norman Bates backstory (young
>>> Norman played by Henry Thomas) and details his life with his abusive
>>> mother (Olivia Hussey from Romeo and Juliet).  Not bad.
>>
>> Don’t forget this awful thing:
>>
>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155975/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk
>
> It shouldn't have been, it really shouldn't.  But it was.

It's not in the box set and I have *no* interest in seeing it again!
But I would have really liked it if the box set included, "Bates Motel"
It was a 1987 made for TV movie starring Bud Cort and Lori Petty. I
vaguely recall liking it, but I have no idea what actually happened in
it. Other than I *think* it once again portrayed Norman as the victim
and it was setting up to be a pilot for a show that wasn't picked up.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)

<uvoq88$1m1v6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222505&group=rec.arts.tv#222505

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 04:30:56 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:30 UTC

In article <uvgtup$3n65v$1@dont-email.me>, ijball@mac.invalid wrote:

> So, what did you watch?

I watched a funeral for a cousin in Ohio.
Hmm, I need to find the vidclip of him being interviewed about organizing the
first flashmob Thriller dance in Portland, Oregon.

That evening, I discovered Iran tried to bomb Israel after Senile Resident
Joke Biden said "Don't". Let's go Brandon!

--
Let's go Brandon!