Newsgroups: alt.journalism,alt.journalism.criticism,alt.news-media,alt.radio.talk,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: New CEO Of NPR Is Everything Wrong With The News Media
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 04:30:47 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 08:30 UTC

never@nothere.com wrote:
> On 4/19/2024 3:28 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> "Matt Walsh" <daily@mailer.dailywire.com> wrote:

>>> If you don't remember CAR TALK, it was a radio show that lasted more than
>>> three decades on NPR, until it ended in 2012. The idea was that people
>>> called in with practical questions and dilemmas relating to their cars,
>>> and then the hosts dispensed advice-- whether it was about car
>>> maintenance or repair or whatever. The show no longer exists, though,
>>> because the NPR that broadcast that show for 35 years no longer exists.
>>> The idea of a show that actually addresses people's problems in real
>>> life, based on knowledge of how markets and automobiles or anything else
>>> actually works, has been unthinkable to the management of NPR for some
>>> time. Shows that cover the news from an objective factual perspective,
>>> to the extent possible, are also out of style. Instead, for the past
>>> decade, NPR has been controlled by activists who have devoted themselves
>>> to two primary pursuits.
>>>
>>> The first pursuit is blanketing the airwaves with identity politics at
>>> every conceivable opportunity. That's why they run segments on diverse
>>> gender representation in dinosaur emojis for example.
>>
>> I couldn't believe that was actually true, so I looked it up and sure enough:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/Latb4tOUG-0?t=1085
>>
>> Apparently a bunch of real women in England were offended by being called
>> "bodies with vaginas" and "birthing people" by government officials. The
>> troon activists denigrated them as old fashioned and started calling them
>> 'dinosaurs' for holding the view that dudes in dresses aren't actually
>> women. So in the tradition of persecuted groups everywhere, these women
>> adopted the dinosaur epithet and started using it as a badge of honor:
>> wearing dinosaur costumes at protests and putting the emoji in the their
>> social media bios.
>>
>> But the story as presented by NPR presented none of that background context
>> and only told the story from the perspective of troons who love dinosaurs
>> and purport to 'own' that emoji and that anyone who 'co-opts' it is a
>> transphobe and bigot. If you only listened to NPR's version, you'd come away
>> with the belief that the feminists are only using the image to hurt the
>> troons' feelings.
>>
>> I can't believe something this stupid is even an issue among grown adults
>> but it is a prime example of how NPR's politics shape how they tell their
>> stories and present the news.
>
>I listen to NPR fairly often, but the only place I hear about
>transphobes, polygenders, etc. is r.a.tv ...

TROLL-O-METER
5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/10/1104266396/lgbtq-communitys-battle-for-the-
dinosaur-emoji-key-moments-from-jan-6-hearing