Please remain calm, it's no use both of us being hysterical at the same time.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)Ubiquitous
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)shawn
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)anim8rfsk
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)BTR1701
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)

<UBI20240420@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222812&group=rec.arts.tv#222812

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 08:30 UTC

I watched:

"Diversity Bounties" EXPOSED | Source Exposes DEI Bribery at Disney |
Hollywood Is PAID to Be Woke!:
Ever wonder why DEI has spread like wildfire throughout Hollywood over
the past 7 years? Producers at Disney and throughout Hollywood are
being paid "diversity bounties" to cast movies and shows with actors
who further The Agenda! A Hollywood insider steps forward to sound the
alarm in this exclusive interview! #disney #mcu #marvel
https://youtu.be/dMbb8Ex83-c?si=WvI4hzfIDtQ2_89N

Batman & Superman Force Sidekicks To Dig Their Own Graves!:
Superman and Batman force their sidekicks to dig their own graves? Yes,
yes they do. World's Finest presents a tale of madness, mafia, and
more. Just how to Robin (Dick Grayson) and Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen
find themselves in this predicament? It's a DC Comics classic from the
era straddling the silver and bronze ages. See it unfold here on
Casually Comics!
https://youtu.be/Ku11PSggTzc?si=rPjqu7tPEUevYrdw

The 10-Year Hunt for the Lost Cookbook:
https://youtu.be/XIObMS5hS0Y?si=XmmWydYnvQDzP637

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)

<v00pvu$3ojla$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222826&group=rec.arts.tv#222826

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 09:20:14 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:20 UTC

On 4/20/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

> What did you watch?

Yesterday, I just wanted to get home to watch TV and movies, so that's
exactly what I did!:

Fallout (Prime) - First two episodes.
I finally decided to pull the trigger on this. I dunno if I will be
able to watch it straight through - I'm hoping I will have enough time
to be able to finish it over this coming week.
So far I like it, though I am not sure I am going to like the show's
structure - e.g. how it seems to rely heavily on "guest stars" who show
up for one, and only one, episode. It's just a good thing that Walton
Goggins is main cast on this, or I fear we'd never see him! (e.g. Kyle
McLaughlin).
I do like Moises Arias as the brother, though it may be the worst
casting ever, as Arias and Lucy Purcell couldn't look less biologically
related if they tried! (Maybe Arias' brother character was "adopted"?!)
Curious to see where they go with this - I have never played the
video game, though I've heard about it over the years...

soaps: GH - Thur's ep. Ava discovers that Sonny's bipolar prescription
has been *under*dosing him! Under normal circumstances, Ava would
actually be the #1 suspect for this, but seeing as she's doing the
investigating here, she's obviously not behind this... So who is?!
Later, Ava tells Sonny that Dex is joining the PCPD! (Ha!!) Joss worries
about Dex's career path to Carly; later, Agent Jagger/John appears to be
hitting on Carly! Cyrus decides to file charges with Anna, against
Sonny, for the beating; later Cyrus runs into Dex who apologizes for his
part in, you know - trying to whack Cyrus! Lois continues to annoy me
now (and Rena Sofer doesn't seem to be going anywhere!!).

I then watched two movies... strangely, these were both in 4k - I guess
everything is in 4k now!:

Lisa Frankenstein (Peacock) - Well, this was... "quirky" (written by
Diablo Cody!).
For no reason at all, this is set in the (late) 1980s.
Because of the film's premise, it kind of doesn't work - Kathryn
Newton plays Lisa, a teen who is emotionally disturbed in the wake of
witnessing her mother's axe-murder. (Who thought this was a good idea
for establishing the character?!) Her father has since remarried (to
Carla Gugino), and Lisa now has a well-meaning and supportive, but
ditzy, stepsister, Taffy (Liza Soberano, who is apparently famous in the
Philippines).
Anyway, Lisa is the school weirdo in her new school, and she likes
to hang out in cemeteries, and is attracted to the headstone monument of
one particular young man who died in 1837.
Taffy drags Lisa to a party where Lisa is dosed (with a
hallucinogen?), and then almost sexually assaulted. (Who thought this
was a good idea?!) This happens during some sort of freak lightning
storm (you can see where this is going).
After, Lisa comes across the lad from the 1837 grave, now reanimated
by the lightning. At first, Lisa is terrified by him, but then decides
to clean him up. In return, the monster helps Lisa unleash her inner
hott Goth chyck!
Meanwhile, Lisa's stepmom (Gugino), who is a villain straight out of
"Snow White", has had enough of Lisa, and intends to have her committed.
Murderous wackiness ensues.
I never thought this got the tone right. While Lisa's tragic
background should make her sympathetic, the murdering quickly renders
her (and the monster) very *un*sympathetic - why are we rooting for two
killers to get together?! And they're going for "comedy-horror", which
this doesn't get right tonally either.
Thus, the ending is unearned, and the movie kind of never works as a
result.

I almost pulled the trigger on "Night Swin" (off Peacock) but didn't
feel in the mood for it.

Bottoms (Prime) - Now, this was absurd, but several of the comedy bits
actually pay off. So I thought this was much better than "Lisa
Frankenstein" (it's also 10 minutes shorter!).
The gist? Two bottom-of-the-high-school-pecking-order lesbians
(Rachel Sennott, who co-wrote it, and Ayo Edebiri from "The Bear")
decide to put together a "fight club, for girls!" at the HS, with the
help of their also weird and pathetic friend (Ruby Cruz). They bill it
to the other girls as a "self-defense (and empowerment!)" club, but the
real point is that Sennott's character wants to use the club to seduce
their two cheerleader crushes (Kaia Gerber and Havana Rose Liu).
Of course, the club takes off beyond their wildest expectations.
Anyway, this was amusing. The only thing I didn't like was that the
asshole male football players never suffered any consequences for their
horrible behavior.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)

<Ub0pvu$3ojla$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222831&group=rec.arts.tv#222831

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 13:05:12 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 17:05 UTC

In article <v00pvu$3ojla$1@dont-email.me>, ijball@mac.invalid wrote:
> On 4/20/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

>>I watched:
>>
>>"Diversity Bounties" EXPOSED | Source Exposes DEI Bribery at Disney |
>>Hollywood Is PAID to Be Woke!:
>>Ever wonder why DEI has spread like wildfire throughout Hollywood over
>>the past 7 years? Producers at Disney and throughout Hollywood are
>>being paid "diversity bounties" to cast movies and shows with actors
>>who further The Agenda! A Hollywood insider steps forward to sound the
>>alarm in this exclusive interview! #disney #mcu #marvel
>>https://youtu.be/dMbb8Ex83-c?si=WvI4hzfIDtQ2_89N
>>
>>Batman & Superman Force Sidekicks To Dig Their Own Graves!:
>>Superman and Batman force their sidekicks to dig their own graves? Yes,
>>yes they do. World's Finest presents a tale of madness, mafia, and
>>more. Just how to Robin (Dick Grayson) and Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen
>>find themselves in this predicament? It's a DC Comics classic from the
>>era straddling the silver and bronze ages. See it unfold here on
>>Casually Comics!
>>https://youtu.be/Ku11PSggTzc?si=rPjqu7tPEUevYrdw
>>
>>The 10-Year Hunt for the Lost Cookbook:
>>https://youtu.be/XIObMS5hS0Y?si=XmmWydYnvQDzP637
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
>Yesterday, I just wanted to get home to watch TV and movies, so that's
>exactly what I did!:
>
>Fallout (Prime) - First two episodes.
>I finally decided to pull the trigger on this. I dunno if I will be
>able to watch it straight through - I'm hoping I will have enough time
>to be able to finish it over this coming week.

I noticed it's on Freebie, too.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)

<v00vjm$3prh1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222834&group=rec.arts.tv#222834

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:55:53 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 17:55 UTC

On 4/20/2024 9:20 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 4/20/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Yesterday, I just wanted to get home to watch TV and movies, so that's
> exactly what I did!:
>
> Fallout (Prime) - First two episodes.
>    I finally decided to pull the trigger on this. I dunno if I will be
> able to watch it straight through - I'm hoping I will have enough time
> to be able to finish it over this coming week.
>    So far I like it, though I am not sure I am going to like the show's
> structure - e.g. how it seems to rely heavily on "guest stars" who show
> up for one, and only one, episode. It's just a good thing that Walton
> Goggins is main cast on this, or I fear we'd never see him! (e.g. Kyle
> McLaughlin).

Goggins chewing the scenery is probably the best thing about the show.

> [...]
> storm (you can see where this is going).
>    After, Lisa comes across the lad from the 1837 grave, now reanimated
> by the lightning. At first, Lisa is terrified by him, but then decides
> to clean him up. In return, the monster helps Lisa unleash her inner
> hott Goth chyck!
>    Meanwhile, Lisa's stepmom (Gugino), who is a villain straight out of
> "Snow White", has had enough of Lisa, and intends to have her committed.
>    Murderous wackiness ensues.
>    I never thought this got the tone right. While Lisa's tragic
> background should make her sympathetic, the murdering quickly renders
> her (and the monster) very *un*sympathetic - why are we rooting for two
> killers to get together?! And they're going for "comedy-horror", which
> this doesn't get right tonally either.
>    Thus, the ending is unearned, and the movie kind of never works as a

Agreed.

> I almost pulled the trigger on "Night Swin" (off Peacock) but didn't
> feel in the mood for it.
>
> Bottoms (Prime) -

This is on my watch list. I'll get to it eventually.

Now, this was absurd, but several of the comedy bits
> actually pay off. So I thought this was much better than "Lisa
> Frankenstein" (it's also 10 minutes shorter!).
>    The gist? Two bottom-of-the-high-school-pecking-order lesbians
> (Rachel Sennott, who co-wrote it, and Ayo Edebiri from "The Bear")
> decide to put together a "fight club, for girls!" at the HS, with the
> help of their also weird and pathetic friend (Ruby Cruz). They bill it
> to the other girls as a "self-defense (and empowerment!)" club, but the
> real point is that Sennott's character wants to use the club to seduce
> their two cheerleader crushes (Kaia Gerber and Havana Rose Liu).
>    Of course, the club takes off beyond their wildest expectations.
>    Anyway, this was amusing. The only thing I didn't like was that the
> asshole male football players never suffered any consequences for their
> horrible behavior.
>

> What did you watch?

I watched:

Law & Order: SVU - "Combat Fatigue" - In a bit of a change for SVU this
episode focuses on the trial of the kidnapper they've been following all
season. The opening scene with in the jury room I could swear was
ripped off line for line from another show, but I don't remember which
(LA Law maybe?).

Abigail (theatrical) New horror movie about a group of kidnappers
(including Melissa Barrera, Dan Stevens, Kevin Durand, and Katheryn
Newton) who are hired by Giancarlo Esposito to kidnap a little girl for
ransom. But the little girl (Alisha Weir) turns out to be a blood
thirsty vampire who enjoys playing with her food before slaughtering
them. This was surprisingly good. I think mostly because I went in
expecting a paint by numbers PG-13 jump scare flick, and this turned out
to be a hard "R" gore fest. And the characters were generally smart and
didn't do obviously dumb things. It also borrowed heavily from "Fright
Night" but that is meant as a compliment. This was probably a better
"Fright Night" remake than the actual "Fright Night" remake! Although
it obvious has a different plot with the whole kidnapping thing, there
are some definitely and welcome similarities.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)

<v010hg$3pvrf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222835&group=rec.arts.tv#222835

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 11:12:00 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 18:12 UTC

On 4/20/24 10:55 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

> [...]
> (including Melissa Barrera, Dan Stevens, Kevin Durand, and Katheryn
> Newton) who are hired by Giancarlo Esposito to kidnap a little girl for
> ransom.  But the little girl (Alisha Weir) turns out to be a blood
> thirsty vampire who enjoys playing with her food before slaughtering
> them.  This was surprisingly good.  I think mostly because I went in
> expecting a paint by numbers PG-13 jump scare flick, and this turned out
> to be a hard "R" gore fest.  And the characters were generally smart and
> didn't do obviously dumb things.  It also borrowed heavily from "Fright
> Night" but that is meant as a compliment.  This was probably a better
> "Fright Night" remake than the actual "Fright Night" remake!  Although
> it obvious has a different plot with the whole kidnapping thing, there
> are some definitely and welcome similarities.

Yep, this is on my list (despite Barrera's involvement). I'll wait for
it to come to come to (likely Peacock, like "Night Swim").

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)

<uob82jdg35vunr7u3sv958klbc475cqa6a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222849&group=rec.arts.tv#222849

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 17:22:22 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:22 UTC

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:55:53 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 4/20/2024 9:20 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 4/20/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Yesterday, I just wanted to get home to watch TV and movies, so that's
>> exactly what I did!:
>>
>> Fallout (Prime) - First two episodes.
>>    I finally decided to pull the trigger on this. I dunno if I will be
>> able to watch it straight through - I'm hoping I will have enough time
>> to be able to finish it over this coming week.
>>    So far I like it, though I am not sure I am going to like the show's
>> structure - e.g. how it seems to rely heavily on "guest stars" who show
>> up for one, and only one, episode. It's just a good thing that Walton
>> Goggins is main cast on this, or I fear we'd never see him! (e.g. Kyle
>> McLaughlin).
>

>Goggins chewing the scenery is probably the best thing about the show.
>

>>    I do like Moises Arias as the brother, though it may be the worst
>> casting ever, as Arias and Lucy Purcell couldn't look less biologically
>> related if they tried! (Maybe Arias' brother character was "adopted"?!)

Doesn't seem likely given the limited supply of parents.

>>    Curious to see where they go with this - I have never played the
>> video game, though I've heard about it over the years...

I've played all but the original RPG games for many hours. Good stuff.
This has all the elements of the games though it isn't sticking
strictly to the events of the game.

>> I then watched two movies... strangely, these were both in 4k - I guess
>> everything is in 4k now!:
>>
>> Lisa Frankenstein (Peacock) - Well, this was... "quirky" (written by
>> Diablo Cody!).
>>    For no reason at all, this is set in the (late) 1980s.
>>    Because of the film's premise, it kind of doesn't work - Kathryn
>> Newton plays Lisa, a teen who is emotionally disturbed in the wake of
>> witnessing her mother's axe-murder. (Who thought this was a good idea
>> for establishing the character?!) Her father has since remarried (to
>> Carla Gugino), and Lisa now has a well-meaning and supportive, but
>> ditzy, stepsister, Taffy (Liza Soberano, who is apparently famous in the
>> Philippines).

Her Wikipedia is strange. It suggests that at 12 years old she (with
her family) moved to the Philippines from California to pursue an
acting career. Even though she didn't speak Filipino. Though she has
made an apparently successful career there so I guess it worked out.
Easier to be a success in a smaller pond. Now that she's moved to the
USA it may prove quite difficult to match her success in the
Philippines. Though I'm sure she will get work as she's still young
and good looking.

> [...]
>(including Melissa Barrera, Dan Stevens, Kevin Durand, and Katheryn
>Newton) who are hired by Giancarlo Esposito to kidnap a little girl for
>ransom. But the little girl (Alisha Weir) turns out to be a blood
>thirsty vampire who enjoys playing with her food before slaughtering
>them. This was surprisingly good. I think mostly because I went in
>expecting a paint by numbers PG-13 jump scare flick, and this turned out
>to be a hard "R" gore fest. And the characters were generally smart and
>didn't do obviously dumb things. It also borrowed heavily from "Fright
>Night" but that is meant as a compliment. This was probably a better
>"Fright Night" remake than the actual "Fright Night" remake! Although
>it obvious has a different plot with the whole kidnapping thing, there
>are some definitely and welcome similarities.

I still haven't gotten around to seeing the FRIGHT NIGHT remake.
Mostly because remakes never hold up to the original.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)

<1332308445.735342361.144904.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222854&group=rec.arts.tv#222854

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 15:32:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 22:32 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

I was expecting to watch BLUE BLOODS, but noooo.

I finally made it all the way through the first episode of the first season
of WHEEL OF TIME.
So, I get the message. Men are stupid and lazy and weak. Women are strong
and bright and wonderful, and have all the power (literally). And yet women
somehow still managed to see themselves as victims and second class
citizens bordering on slaves.
After 50 minutes of that There was some action and special effects shot in
total darkness.
One and done.

I re-watched SKYFIRE on the Hulu
Harmless fun with good effects (I don’t know if it exists in 4K for Ian)
and they show you how they did some of those effects over the ending
credits.

Then Hulu just chose to show me stuff. It didn’t give me any choice in the
matter it just auto played them. And you can’t get info on them and find
out what the hell they are about or even what the title is.

And that’s how I ended up watching SETTLERS (2021)

I would just like to start by saying this is an amazingly incompetent and
vile piece of garbage and somebody should take a hot poker and put out the
writer/directors eyes and move down accordingly.

Basically this plays like somebody took over the set for Shatner‘s STARS ON
MARS Series before they tore it down and decided to make a movie on it.
Except this came first.

So there’s this habitat on Mars. How do I know it’s on Mars? Because I did
outside reading. They never actually say it’s on Mars. Three people live in
the habitat. The guy from elementary (Reza), the hot chick with no feet in
Kingsman (Ilsa), and their bratty and disobedient 10-year-old daughter
Remmy [who looks nothing whatsoever like her mother). They also have a cute
dog robot (Steve) right out of the Shatner show and a single piglet (let’s
call her Ariel Winter)

early on, they are picking out improbably large planets in the night sky.
After her father confirms that one of them she’s looking at is moon she
says, then it must be earth because that’s just how unbelievably stupid the
incompetent asshole who wrote this is.

they live on their farm, which is in a crater that has earth, normal
atmosphere (including wind) and earths normal gravity. It’s a shirt sleeve
environment, and I guessed early on that it was going to turn out to be a
simulation, but boy was I wrong.

So three strangers show up. We’re never told where they come from or
anything. Reza kills two of them, and a third, Jerry, kills Reza. So we’re
back to three characters again.

Jerry asks the women folk to give him 30 days to get to like him. Elsa is
boinking him in half that time because that’s just how women are anywhere
you go in the universe. Jerry claims he used to live there as a yute and
Ilsa says she murdered his father.

At the end of the 30 days Ilsa rather inexplicably tries to murder Jerry.
But he had left the gun unloaded. He then chases the unarmed Ilsa into the
house and murders her in cold blood just to make sure.

A few years pass. Remmy has grown into a teenager who still considers
herself a girl, and looks exactly like her mother, even though she looked
nothing like her mother a few years ago.

They have gone from a single pig to a passel. Apparently, they have the
ability to grow animals from scratch as a brood of chickens also shows up,
and we hear a rooster in the distance.

Jerry gives her a gun so she can murder Ariel Winter. I’m not really sure
why. They didn’t seem to eat the little pig.

Jerry has gotten horny so he hits Remmy upside the head and ties her to a
bed and tries to rape her at gunpoint.

The cute robot shoots him in the neck with its drilling tool. I’m not
really sure why a drilling tool can be shot like a harpoon.

Remmy finds the injured and helpless Jerry and murders him in cold blood
because that’s just what women do anywhere in the universe.

She completely inexplicably fixes Steve the cute robot by replacing large
parts like she was doing a suspension job on a car even though Jerry had
shot him through the CPU.

She then heads out of the crater leaving Steve the farm.

Did I mention that supposedly no one is alive outside the crater and you
can’t survive more than two days with a Covid mask? Of course the three
strangers in the beginning came from somewhere.

Oh, and it turns out the crater is under an invisible dome. There’s lots
of stuff like the swimming hole that people don’t actually know is there
and may or may not be inside or outside of the dome. But inside or outside
it’s still Earth gravity. And earth atmosphere pressure. And temperature.
And I have no idea why there is wind inside the dome.

The reviews on IMDb are savage but not nearly savage enough.

My Firestick live TV channels brought me:

GRAND STAR

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830161/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

A 26 episode TV series from 2007.

In the year 2099 the nuclear waste dumps on the far side of the moon
spontaneously combusted. This rather inexplicably left the earth frozen
over and all that exists are the trains and the stations they stop at. That
all seems strangely familiar. At least these trains seem to hover so we
don’t have to worry about how anybody is maintaining the tracks.

Beyond that it all plays like they’re in a rave from mutant X and not the
good final season.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)

<133091542.735345859.493744.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222859&group=rec.arts.tv#222859

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 15:46:53 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 22:46 UTC

> [...]
> (including Melissa Barrera, Dan Stevens, Kevin Durand, and Katheryn
> Newton) who are hired by Giancarlo Esposito to kidnap a little girl for
> ransom. But the little girl (Alisha Weir) turns out to be a blood
> thirsty vampire who enjoys playing with her food before slaughtering
> them. This was surprisingly good. I think mostly because I went in
> expecting a paint by numbers PG-13 jump scare flick, and this turned out
> to be a hard "R" gore fest. And the characters were generally smart and
> didn't do obviously dumb things. It also borrowed heavily from "Fright
> Night" but that is meant as a compliment. This was probably a better
> "Fright Night" remake than the actual "Fright Night" remake! Although
> it obvious has a different plot with the whole kidnapping thing, there
> are some definitely and welcome similarities.

The fire stick annoyingly advertises movies that aren’t actually available
unless you go to the theater. This was one of them. I definitely want to
see it when I can.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-19 (Friday)

<atropos-D0589F.11175224042024@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223086&group=rec.arts.tv#223086

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:17:52 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 18:17 UTC

In article <v00vjm$3prh1$1@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Abigail (theatrical) New horror movie about a group of kidnappers
> (including Melissa Barrera, Dan Stevens, Kevin Durand, and Katheryn
> Newton) who are hired by Giancarlo Esposito to kidnap a little girl for
> ransom. But the little girl (Alisha Weir) turns out to be a blood
> thirsty vampire who enjoys playing with her food before slaughtering
> them. This was surprisingly good. I think mostly because I went in
> expecting a paint by numbers PG-13 jump scare flick, and this turned out
> to be a hard "R" gore fest. And the characters were generally smart and
> didn't do obviously dumb things. It also borrowed heavily from "Fright
> Night" but that is meant as a compliment. This was probably a better
> "Fright Night" remake than the actual "Fright Night" remake! Although
> it obvious has a different plot with the whole kidnapping thing, there
> are some definitely and welcome similarities.

I saw this yesterday and I give it an enthusiastic recommend. This was
horror the way horror used to be done. None of this soft PG-13 horror
nonsense that pervades the genre these days.

The actress playing the little girl was fantastic. Too often child
actors are chosen for their look, not their ability and the result is
suboptimal. This little girl had both looks and ability and really sold
the role.

Melissa Barrera is still a smokeshow.

Kevin Durand is starting to really look old.

It's a good thing Buffy's vampires only exploded into dust when staked.
She'd have had a helluva wardrobe budget if she'd had to deal with this
variety of vampire on a regular basis.

The only thing I'd complain about with this movie is the marketing,
which gave away the 'surprise' in all the trailers and posters. I wish
I'd have gone into this the way I did all those years ago with FROM DUSK
TILL DAWN-- thinking it was a crime heist movie and suddenly have it
turn into a supernatural horror story out of nowhere.

It was a real WTF moment when Santanico Pandemonium (Salma Hayek)
suddenly turned into a vampire in the middle of what up to that point
had been a story about two brothers on a crime spree.