From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Katie Couric: R[˜Ü™YX›HÙ^\Ý Bryant Gumbel Told Her To Give Birth ‘In_A_Field’ And Come Back To Work
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 04:30:50 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 08:30 UTC

Veteran news anchor Katie Couric outed former colleague Bryant Gumbel as
�incredibly sexist,� claiming that he suggested she should deliver her baby
�in a field� and come straight back to the show rather than taking some time
off for maternity leave.

Couric made the comments during her recent appearance on comedian Bill
Maher�s �Club Random� podcast, where she also said that Gumbel�s attitude was
similar to that of many of her male colleagues and the overall culture at NBC
at the time.

WATCH:

Katie Couric on Club Random with Bill Maher revealed a couple of
interesting facts about her time working on the 'Today Show' with
Bryant Gumbel and Matt Lauer:
Couric: "He [Gumbel] got mad at me because I was doing something on
maternity leave, and he was giving endless shit for�
pic.twitter.com/9KjrtZSbGY

� Eric Abbenante (@EricAbbenante) April 14, 2024

�He was prickly, but, what a talent. He�s such a seamless broadcaster,
eloquent. I mean, when that countdown would happen � five, four, three, two,
one � he would just hit it perfect,� Couric said of Gumbel.

And while she did have a number of nice things to say about him � she called
him a �natty dresser� and noted that he was intelligent and �really talented�
� her overall assessment was that he was �complicated.�

She went on to say that things kind of came to a head when she planned to
take maternity leave when her first child was born.

�And he was giving me endless s*** for taking like a month or two off. I was
having my first baby,� she said. �He was like, �Why don�t you just drop it in
the field and come back to work right away or something?'�

Maher, who is friends with Gumbel, pressed Couric on that point and said that
it sounded like he probably meant that last remark as a joke � and while
Couric conceded that he�d been �kidding,� she said that wasn�t the only thing
he had said on the matter.

�He was goofing on me but giving me a lot of s***. But it was emblematic of
sort of an incredibly sexist attitude,� she continued.

�It was a very different environment,� she said of NBC at the time.

Maher noted that there was an �old boys club� feel to the interoffice
politics at major networks at the time, adding, �And women had to put up with
more. They just did. I mean, you know, not to get all fuzzy and Lifetime
Channel about it, but people like you and Barbara Walters or just like women
comedians of a certain age, you have to really tip your hat to them because
it was harder.�

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Katie Couric: ‘In_A_Field’ And Come Back To Work

<1126005319.735224785.287857.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222726&group=rec.arts.tv#222726

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Katie Couric: ‘In_A_Field’ And Come Back To Work
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 06:08:22 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:08 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> Veteran news anchor Katie Couric outed former colleague Bryant Gumbel as
> “incredibly sexist,”

Who the hell didn’t know that?

claiming that he suggested she should deliver her baby
> “in a field” and come straight back to the show rather than taking some time
> off for maternity leave.
>
> Couric made the comments during her recent appearance on comedian Bill
> Maher’s “Club Random” podcast, where she also said that Gumbel’s attitude was
> similar to that of many of her male colleagues and the overall culture at NBC
> at the time.
>
> WATCH:
>
> Katie Couric on Club Random with Bill Maher revealed a couple of
> interesting facts about her time working on the 'Today Show' with
> Bryant Gumbel and Matt Lauer:
> Couric: "He [Gumbel] got mad at me because I was doing something on
> maternity leave, and he was giving endless shit for…
> pic.twitter.com/9KjrtZSbGY
>
> — Eric Abbenante (@EricAbbenante) April 14, 2024
>
> “He was prickly, but, what a talent. He’s such a seamless broadcaster,
> eloquent. I mean, when that countdown would happen — five, four, three, two,
> one — he would just hit it perfect,” Couric said of Gumbel.
>
> And while she did have a number of nice things to say about him — she called
> him a “natty dresser” and noted that he was intelligent and “really talented”
> — her overall assessment was that he was “complicated.”
>
> She went on to say that things kind of came to a head when she planned to
> take maternity leave when her first child was born.
>
> “And he was giving me endless s*** for taking like a month or two off. I was
> having my first baby,” she said. “He was like, ‘Why don’t you just drop it in
> the field and come back to work right away or something?'”
>
> Maher, who is friends with Gumbel, pressed Couric on that point and said that
> it sounded like he probably meant that last remark as a joke — and while
> Couric conceded that he’d been “kidding,” she said that wasn’t the only thing
> he had said on the matter.
>
> “He was goofing on me but giving me a lot of s***. But it was emblematic of
> sort of an incredibly sexist attitude,” she continued.
>
> “It was a very different environment,” she said of NBC at the time.
>
> Maher noted that there was an “old boys club” feel to the interoffice
> politics at major networks at the time, adding, “And women had to put up with
> more. They just did. I mean, you know, not to get all fuzzy and Lifetime
> Channel about it, but people like you and Barbara Walters or just like women
> comedians of a certain age, you have to really tip your hat to them because
> it was harder.”
>
> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: Katie Couric: ?In_A_Field? And Come Back To Work

<v06e2c$14430$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222955&group=rec.arts.tv#222955

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:33:31 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:33 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> Veteran news anchor Katie Couric outed former colleague Bryant Gumbel as
>> “incredibly sexist,”
>
>Who the hell didn't know that?

Besides her?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Katie Couric: ‘In_A_Field’ And Come Back To Work

<v076q3$1d6p5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222970&group=rec.arts.tv#222970

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 21:35:47 -0500
 by: super70s - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 02:35 UTC

On 2024-04-19 13:08:22 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> Veteran news anchor Katie Couric outed former colleague Bryant Gumbel as
>> “incredibly sexist,”
>
> Who the hell didn’t know that?

Today has been a hen party ever since the Matt Lauer scandal hasn't it,
they'll probably never have any males hanging around regularly except
Al Roker who seems pretty harmless (far as we know).