From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Oh, Canada... A Liberal Immigrant's Lament
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:18:04 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:18 UTC

I was born an Indian Muslim. Today, I'm a Canadian atheist. I have lived and
worked in some of the most war-torn regions of the world. I know what
repressive cultures look like, which is why I’m troubled by the political
shifts of the past decade. The Canada I grew to love in my youth is regressing
into something eerily reminiscent of the cultural climate my parents fled
from-- one that shuns skepticism, enforces orthodoxy, and imposes rigidly
hierarchical thinking.

My family moved from India to Canada in 1975 when I was a small boy. Shortly
after we settled in, representatives from the local mosque showed up at our
home. They came to tell my father how to be a "good" Muslim, explaining
exactly how he was to worship and conduct himself as a member of their
community. After a few minutes, I watched in shock as my father
unceremoniously showed these religious leaders the door. Once they were gone,
he told us no one could dictate what we were supposed to believe-- that this
was a country where people were free to go their own way. That lesson stuck
with me.

A few years later, we visited our grandparents back in India. Being happily
acclimated to Canada and having been too young to fully understand life in
India the first time around, it was a massive culture shock. Seeing the caste
system in action, the unquestioned obedience to all authority figures, and the
many servants in my grandfather's house was a jarring contrast to life in
Canada. At the time in India, there wasn't much in the way of a middle class.
Most people were poor, and many scraped by as servants. Some of my
grandfather's servants were children my age-- robbed of childhoods, waking up
before sunrise to begin cleaning, and after helping to cook breakfast, lunch,
and dinner, working late into the night. It made me so thankful my parents had
moved us to Canada.

In my 30s, I became a globetrotter. I took on IT contracts with the military
and government in war zones and disaster areas around the world, including
Bosnia, Kosovo, Sudan, Haiti, and Afghanistan. I traveled extensively,
returning to India every few years. The more countries I lived in, the more I
appreciated what we so often take for granted in the West-- not just the
comforts and standard of living, but things like free speech, freedom of
belief, and tolerance of differing views.

After nearly 15 years abroad, I returned to Canada in 2014, but it wasn't the
same Canada I'd left in 2001. There were now topics of conversation that were
off-limits and issues that could not be discussed without sticking to a
narrow, approved script. What jumped out at me immediately was that
criticizing Islam was vilified as a form of bigotry. As an atheist who was
born in India, raised Muslim, and just moved from Afghanistan, where I'd spent
six years on my final overseas IT contract, I had plenty to say on the subject
of Islam. The notion that, in an ostensibly free country, harshly criticizing
Islam was deemed racism or "Islamophobia" and thus illegal according to hate
speech laws made no sense to me.

Where I'd never previously felt the need, I began speaking out about Islam. I
explained the links between groups like the Taliban and the doctrines of Islam
with regard to concepts like martyrdom, jihad, and apostasy. I pointed out the
misogyny of the hijab and niqab, and criticized Islamic homophobia. It started
on social media. Before long, I was writing articles, being interviewed by
journalists, and running a podcast of my own. Non-Muslim friends privately
told me they wished they could voice their thoughts as openly as I did, but
they were afraid to speak. I urged them to speak out and not listen to
radicals and bullies. I hadn't realized how much the state of speech culture
had eroded. Shout-downs, smear campaigns, and de-platforming became
increasingly common. My inbox was flooded with messages from white lefties
telling me I was a hate-monger or a white supremacist. The claim of white
supremacy both confused and animated me. I found myself sucked in by the
gravitational pull of the culture wars-- and I wasn't the only one.

In 2015, Canadian politics, just as in the US, took a sharply identitarian
turn, and Justin Trudeau rode these newly ascendent attitudes to Canada's
premiership. At every turn, he created divisions based on "protected
identities". During the election, Trudeau used the niqab as a wedge issue
against then-Prime Minister Stephen Harper. A year after getting elected, he
visited a sex-segregated mosque in which women were confined to the balcony
and remarked on the situation, not to bring attention to the sexism, but to
praise it. In 2018, when an elderly woman asked him if the federal government
would pay back the $146 million it cost her province to absorb an influx of
illegal border-crossers, he told her, "Your racism has no place in Canada."
During COVID-19 and the lead-up to the anti-lockdown trucker convoy, he said
that people who don't vaccinate are categorically racist and misogynistic.
Trudeau was hardly alone in these types of sweeping judgments, and they were
not confined to matters of religion or race.

The politics of youth gender medicine have pitted parents against radical
activists. School boards around the nation now both aid and hide student
transitions from parents. Some gender clinics can provide hormone therapy or
puberty blockers to minors without parental approval, and girls as young as 16
can have mastectomies without the consent of their parents. What's more,
federal law now equates guardrails on youth transition with "conversion
therapy". Even as other Western countries such as the UK, Sweden, and Norway
pump the brakes on youth gender medicine in favor of more cautious approaches,
Trudeau, parroting the new orthodoxy, said that parental rights are a
"far-right" issue. That branding has been largely successful. Indeed, anyone
who voices what was common sense just a few years ago becomes persona non
grata in many professional and institutional circles. Gender transition,
especially for youth, is still a relatively new field, and science doesn't
work when government and activists get to choose what is true and what is
false before research has even begun.

During parliamentary debates on the aforementioned bill to equate youth gender
medicine guardrails with conversion therapy, some MPs asserted that
detransitioners-- those who transition, change their mind, and transition
back-- were so rare that any appeal to them was part of a "false
detransitioning narrative". This is contradicted by much of the data. Studies
spanning 1972–2013 suggest that 60–90% of gender non-conforming children turn
out not to be trans by adulthood. Research out of the University of Toronto
found that "63.6% of boys with early onset gender dysphoria, who received
'watchful waiting' treatment and no pre-pubertal social transition, grew up to
be gay or bisexual." And a 2022 study found that between 2009 and 2018, over
25% of minors who began gender-affirming hormone therapy stopped getting
refills within four years.

The recurring pattern I've seen over the past decade on issues ranging from
Islam, to race, to trans, and to free expression generally, worries me. I see
in our discourse and the actions of the Canadian government a cultural trend
disturbingly reminiscent of the India my parents moved us away from. Growing
up, I embraced the values I saw in Canada-- values such as free expression,
open inquiry, individual rights, and the right to believe or not as we see
fit. Now I see our government routinely undermine those rights, our media
applaud them, and a censorious activist class enforce a chilling effect where
independent thought is shunned and where dissent is dismissed by Trudeau and
his supporters as American-style Trumpism.

What worries me most about this illiberal regression is the effect it might
have on future would-be immigrants. The liberal West has advanced, both
economically and culturally, beyond the wildest imaginings of the most utopian
dreamer from centuries ago. Its societies have become the envy of those who
were not lucky enough to have been born into them, and a coveted destination
for immigrants seeking a freer life for their families. If, under the
influence of extremist ideologies, Western societies like Canada allow
Enlightenment values and the human rights that sprung from them to
disintegrate, where will people like my parents turn to? Where will those
trapped in repressive societies with little opportunity go? It’s become quite
trendy to bash the West for sins past and present, but the irony is that if we
bash it to pieces, it’s the world's downtrodden who will ultimately pay the
highest price.

https://www.queermajority.com/essays-all/oh-canada?twclid=2-654atwnvfcpx777gx9we0g210

Re: Oh, Canada... A Liberal Immigrant's Lament

<negg2jdc38lb69pmulq64oof1q6kagta65@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223046&group=rec.arts.tv#223046

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Oh, Canada... A Liberal Immigrant's Lament
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:46:27 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:46 UTC

On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:18:04 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>I was born an Indian Muslim. Today, I'm a Canadian atheist. I have lived and
>worked in some of the most war-torn regions of the world. I know what
>repressive cultures look like, which is why I’m troubled by the political
>shifts of the past decade. The Canada I grew to love in my youth is regressing
>into something eerily reminiscent of the cultural climate my parents fled
>from-- one that shuns skepticism, enforces orthodoxy, and imposes rigidly
>hierarchical thinking.
<snip>

>In 2015, Canadian politics, just as in the US, took a sharply identitarian
>turn, and Justin Trudeau rode these newly ascendent attitudes to Canada's
>premiership. At every turn, he created divisions based on "protected
>identities". During the election, Trudeau used the niqab as a wedge issue
>against then-Prime Minister Stephen Harper. A year after getting elected, he
>visited a sex-segregated mosque in which women were confined to the balcony
>and remarked on the situation, not to bring attention to the sexism, but to
>praise it. In 2018, when an elderly woman asked him if the federal government
>would pay back the $146 million it cost her province to absorb an influx of
>illegal border-crossers, he told her, "Your racism has no place in Canada."
>During COVID-19 and the lead-up to the anti-lockdown trucker convoy, he said
>that people who don't vaccinate are categorically racist and misogynistic.
>Trudeau was hardly alone in these types of sweeping judgments, and they were
>not confined to matters of religion or race.
>
>https://www.queermajority.com/essays-all/oh-canada?twclid=2-654atwnvfcpx777gx9we0g210

Very interesting interview though I'm rather concerned about where the
author draws the political goalposts.

I'd say Canadians generally have been "live and let live" for a long
time though most would not go nearly as far as Justin Trudeau would
take it. By no means was the previous government as far right as
Trudeau would proclaim though no question there were a couple of
spectacular cases involving "honor killings" one where the parents
killed a daughter who had become engaged to someone they considered
disgraceful and a discredit to the family and another where the
parents had hired a hitman to murder their daughter when she was in
India visiting family who again wanted to marry a disapproved suitor.

Trudeau railed violently against the designation of these kinds of
murders as "barbaric foreign practices that had no place in Canada"
proclaiming them racist and "out of touch" (whatever that means).

Canada seldom re-elects a party for a 4th term and when the 2015
election came the Conservatives had already had 3 terms. Now it's 2024
and it's Trudeau's turn to have had 3 terms and seeking a 4th. (Last
time that happened was in the immediate post WW2 period - where like
the US Canada had had a postwar boom and was receiving a lot of
immigrants from Europe.

Canadians have largely missed the degree of polarization Americans
know in 2024 but no question Trudeau is a year from an election and 20
points behind in the polls. Historically that means more and more
desperate initiatives trying to turn the tide in a similar manner to
2015. Note that Justin Trudeau won 2015 with 39%-31% over the
Conservativesm, 33%-34% over the Conservatives (seat count: 157-121)
in 2019 and 32%-33% over the Conservatives (seat count: 160-119) in
2021.

As someone who is fairly hardcore financially and "live and let live"
socially (which should tell Rhino at least which party I am a 'card
carrying' member of) I think it's time for a change and am fearful for
what Trudeau might wish to do in the time before the election.

Back in 2015 Trudeau reamed the Conservatives for allowing the
national debt to reach $400 billion (though the current national debt
is now 3 1/2 times that less than a decade later). No question that
COVID related deficits played a big part but as I told my brother (and
business partner) during the first COVID lockdown that while I
realized emergency measures would need to be taken, that Trudeau was a
politician and was even more prone to continue the emergency supports
longer than strictly needed for personal political gain and to hell
with the resulting inflation which I told him point blank would be the
highest since the 1990s.

Naturally our foreign foes in Beijing, Moscow and Teheran are keen to
take advantage but that too is wholly predictable. The Ukrainian
invasion is about the only major event in the last 5 years that has
surprised me at all.