I haven't lost my mind; I know exactly where I left it.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

SubjectAuthor
* George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someoneNancyGene
`* Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word inMichael Pendragon
 `* Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word inNancyGene
  +- Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word inRachel
  +- Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's woNancyGene
  `* Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word inMichael Pendragon
   `* Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word inNancyGene
    `* Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word inMichael Pendragon
     `* Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word inNancyGene
      `* Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word inMichael Pendragon
       `* Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word inNancyGene
        `* Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word inMichael Pendragon
         `- Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word inMichael Pendragon

1
George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<e516a137-947d-4a2f-a968-ec9bb33954f9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223606&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223606

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 05:05:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone
else's work
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 12:05 UTC

"A July Day," by Philip Bourke Marston, was written and published in the book "Wind-Voices." You have "Wind Voices" in your bibliography, which is wrong no matter how many times another source has mistyped "Wind-Voices."
"Wind-Voices:"
https://archive.org/details/windvoices00marsrich (188?)
This was written by Marston and dedicated to Louise Chandler Moulton.

See also:
P. 141: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZVNhZAG

When looking at the image at archive.org or at the imgur link above, please see that Marston wrote: "To-day the sun has stedfast been and clear--."

You have left out the em dash and also changed Marston's spelling from "stedfast" to "steadfast." That is not what he wrote.

Hebrews 6:19-20 KJV
"[...] which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; [...]"

"Stedfast" has a long and honorable usage and you have no right to change what Marston intended. If you are going to use poems on your blog and advertise your site as a source, you really need to be accurate and use the primary literature. What you have is not the title of his book, and your spelling is not his spelling.

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<a7d466de-7d37-4991-9ada-9939132153fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223607&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223607

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 05:44:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in
someone else's work
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 12:44 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 8:05:53 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> "A July Day," by Philip Bourke Marston, was written and published in the book "Wind-Voices." You have "Wind Voices" in your bibliography, which is wrong no matter how many times another source has mistyped "Wind-Voices."
> "Wind-Voices:"
> https://archive.org/details/windvoices00marsrich (188?)
> This was written by Marston and dedicated to Louise Chandler Moulton.
>
> See also:
> P. 141: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZVNhZAG
>
> When looking at the image at archive.org or at the imgur link above, please see that Marston wrote: "To-day the sun has stedfast been and clear--."
>
> You have left out the em dash and also changed Marston's spelling from "stedfast" to "steadfast." That is not what he wrote.
>
> Hebrews 6:19-20 KJV
> "[...] which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; [...]"
>
> "Stedfast" has a long and honorable usage and you have no right to change what Marston intended. If you are going to use poems on your blog and advertise your site as a source, you really need to be accurate and use the primary literature. What you have is not the title of his book, and your spelling is not his spelling.

Exactly. When I use an archaic spelling, select a British spelling over an American, hyphenate, or run two words together into a single word, I do so for a purpose.

I would not want an "editor" to change my spelling choices on the spurious grounds of "house style."

An editor should *always* go with the author's spelling choice, *unless* it appears to be an error: in which case he should query the author regarding the proposed change.

In cases where the author is deceased, the text should be printed as written.

If the editor still cannot accept the author's spelling choice, and forces a change upon the text, he should note it as such (either by enclosing the change in brackets, or by printing the original spelling in a footnote).

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<93fcb107-d5aa-405f-9dc5-54951f392233n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223618&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223618

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 06:20:09 -0700 (PDT)
someone else's work
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 13:20 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 12:44:22 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 8:05:53 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> > "A July Day," by Philip Bourke Marston, was written and published in the book "Wind-Voices." You have "Wind Voices" in your bibliography, which is wrong no matter how many times another source has mistyped "Wind-Voices."
> > "Wind-Voices:"
> > https://archive.org/details/windvoices00marsrich (188?)
> > This was written by Marston and dedicated to Louise Chandler Moulton.
> >
> > See also:
> > P. 141: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZVNhZAG
> >
> > When looking at the image at archive.org or at the imgur link above, please see that Marston wrote: "To-day the sun has stedfast been and clear--."
> >
> > You have left out the em dash and also changed Marston's spelling from "stedfast" to "steadfast." That is not what he wrote.
> >
> > Hebrews 6:19-20 KJV
> > "[...] which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; [...]"
> >
> > "Stedfast" has a long and honorable usage and you have no right to change what Marston intended. If you are going to use poems on your blog and advertise your site as a source, you really need to be accurate and use the primary literature. What you have is not the title of his book, and your spelling is not his spelling.
> >
> Exactly. When I use an archaic spelling, select a British spelling over an American, hyphenate, or run two words together into a single word, I do so for a purpose.
We have to assume that Marston knew what he wanted to convey.

> I would not want an "editor" to change my spelling choices on the spurious grounds of "house style."
George Dance was being lazy and didn't actually look at the original publication.

> An editor should *always* go with the author's spelling choice, *unless* it appears to be an error: in which case he should query the author regarding the proposed change.
"Stedfast" would have been the common spelling in the 19th century.

> In cases where the author is deceased, the text should be printed as written.
George Dance can consult the link or imgur image we provided.

> If the editor still cannot accept the author's spelling choice, and forces a change upon the text, he should note it as such (either by enclosing the change in brackets, or by printing the original spelling in a footnote).

George Dance will sputter and Will Dockery will deflect, but the truth is that George Dance's site is not a reliable source for information on poems. He too often changes poems, titles, punctuation, facts and words and then attacks the messenger when the mistakes are pointed out. Professor NancyGene would take away many points when grading his papers--to the point of rejecting them. We have not looked into many of George Dance's poems of the day, but the ones we did look at were problematic.

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<1f6cbf42-4d93-4068-b46c-219645f9ba17n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223623&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223623

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 06:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
someone else's work
From: roach4...@gmail.com (Rachel)
 by: Rachel - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 13:35 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 6:20:11 AM UTC-7, NancyGene wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 12:44:22 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> > On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 8:05:53 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> > > "A July Day," by Philip Bourke Marston, was written and published in the book "Wind-Voices." You have "Wind Voices" in your bibliography, which is wrong no matter how many times another source has mistyped "Wind-Voices."
> > > "Wind-Voices:"
> > > https://archive.org/details/windvoices00marsrich (188?)
> > > This was written by Marston and dedicated to Louise Chandler Moulton.
> > >
> > > See also:
> > > P. 141: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZVNhZAG
> > >
> > > When looking at the image at archive.org or at the imgur link above, please see that Marston wrote: "To-day the sun has stedfast been and clear--."
> > >
> > > You have left out the em dash and also changed Marston's spelling from "stedfast" to "steadfast." That is not what he wrote.
> > >
> > > Hebrews 6:19-20 KJV
> > > "[...] which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; [...]"
> > >
> > > "Stedfast" has a long and honorable usage and you have no right to change what Marston intended. If you are going to use poems on your blog and advertise your site as a source, you really need to be accurate and use the primary literature. What you have is not the title of his book, and your spelling is not his spelling.
> > >
> > Exactly. When I use an archaic spelling, select a British spelling over an American, hyphenate, or run two words together into a single word, I do so for a purpose.
> We have to assume that Marston knew what he wanted to convey.
> >
> > I would not want an "editor" to change my spelling choices on the spurious grounds of "house style."
> George Dance was being lazy and didn't actually look at the original publication.
> >
> > An editor should *always* go with the author's spelling choice, *unless* it appears to be an error: in which case he should query the author regarding the proposed change.
> "Stedfast" would have been the common spelling in the 19th century.
> >
> > In cases where the author is deceased, the text should be printed as written.
> George Dance can consult the link or imgur image we provided.
> >
> > If the editor still cannot accept the author's spelling choice, and forces a change upon the text, he should note it as such (either by enclosing the change in brackets, or by printing the original spelling in a footnote)..
> George Dance will sputter and Will Dockery will deflect, but the truth is that George Dance's site is not a reliable source for information on poems.. He too often changes poems, titles, punctuation, facts and words and then attacks the messenger when the mistakes are pointed out. Professor NancyGene would take away many points when grading his papers--to the point of rejecting them. We have not looked into many of George Dance's poems of the day, but the ones we did look at were problematic.

you two deserve each other

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<8a52bd51-e511-4e63-8540-7b9f146978bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223624&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223624

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 06:41:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 13:41 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 1:20:11 PM UTC, NancyGene wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 12:44:22 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> > On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 8:05:53 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> > > "A July Day," by Philip Bourke Marston, was written and published in the book "Wind-Voices." You have "Wind Voices" in your bibliography, which is wrong no matter how many times another source has mistyped "Wind-Voices."
> > > "Wind-Voices:"
> > > https://archive.org/details/windvoices00marsrich (188?)
> > > This was written by Marston and dedicated to Louise Chandler Moulton.
> > >
> > > See also:
> > > P. 141: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZVNhZAG
> > >
> > > When looking at the image at archive.org or at the imgur link above, please see that Marston wrote: "To-day the sun has stedfast been and clear--."
> > >
> > > You have left out the em dash and also changed Marston's spelling from "stedfast" to "steadfast." That is not what he wrote.
> > >
> > > Hebrews 6:19-20 KJV
> > > "[...] which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; [...]"
> > >
> > > "Stedfast" has a long and honorable usage and you have no right to change what Marston intended. If you are going to use poems on your blog and advertise your site as a source, you really need to be accurate and use the primary literature. What you have is not the title of his book, and your spelling is not his spelling.
> > >
> > Exactly. When I use an archaic spelling, select a British spelling over an American, hyphenate, or run two words together into a single word, I do so for a purpose.
> We have to assume that Marston knew what he wanted to convey.
> >
> > I would not want an "editor" to change my spelling choices on the spurious grounds of "house style."
> George Dance was being lazy and didn't actually look at the original publication.
> >
> > An editor should *always* go with the author's spelling choice, *unless* it appears to be an error: in which case he should query the author regarding the proposed change.
> "Stedfast" would have been the common spelling in the 19th century.
> >
> > In cases where the author is deceased, the text should be printed as written.
> George Dance can consult the link or imgur image we provided.
> >
> > If the editor still cannot accept the author's spelling choice, and forces a change upon the text, he should note it as such (either by enclosing the change in brackets, or by printing the original spelling in a footnote)..
> George Dance will sputter and Will Dockery will deflect, but the truth is that George Dance's site is not a reliable source for information on poems.. He too often changes poems, titles, punctuation, facts and words and then attacks the messenger when the mistakes are pointed out. Professor NancyGene would take away many points when grading his papers--to the point of rejecting them. We have not looked into many of George Dance's poems of the day, but the ones we did look at were problematic.

Also, as ME has pointed out, George Dance too often just Googles for a mention of a month in a poem, even if that is not what the poem is about. And, of course, if the poem is in public domain.

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<3cd94b93-efa5-4ef9-aabe-bd49fecab122n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223626&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223626

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 07:12:31 -0700 (PDT)
someone else's work
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 14:12 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 9:20:11 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 12:44:22 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> > On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 8:05:53 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> > > "A July Day," by Philip Bourke Marston, was written and published in the book "Wind-Voices." You have "Wind Voices" in your bibliography, which is wrong no matter how many times another source has mistyped "Wind-Voices."
> > > "Wind-Voices:"
> > > https://archive.org/details/windvoices00marsrich (188?)
> > > This was written by Marston and dedicated to Louise Chandler Moulton.
> > >
> > > See also:
> > > P. 141: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZVNhZAG
> > >
> > > When looking at the image at archive.org or at the imgur link above, please see that Marston wrote: "To-day the sun has stedfast been and clear--."
> > >
> > > You have left out the em dash and also changed Marston's spelling from "stedfast" to "steadfast." That is not what he wrote.
> > >
> > > Hebrews 6:19-20 KJV
> > > "[...] which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; [...]"
> > >
> > > "Stedfast" has a long and honorable usage and you have no right to change what Marston intended. If you are going to use poems on your blog and advertise your site as a source, you really need to be accurate and use the primary literature. What you have is not the title of his book, and your spelling is not his spelling.
> > >
> > Exactly. When I use an archaic spelling, select a British spelling over an American, hyphenate, or run two words together into a single word, I do so for a purpose.
> We have to assume that Marston knew what he wanted to convey.
> >
> > I would not want an "editor" to change my spelling choices on the spurious grounds of "house style."
> George Dance was being lazy and didn't actually look at the original publication.

George is either chronically lazy, or stubbornly stupid. I'm betting on the latter. He claims to spend a lot of time on his blog, and I suspect that he does his best to make it as good as possible (for him). Unfortunately, his "Mensa" IQ is just not up to the task.

> > An editor should *always* go with the author's spelling choice, *unless* it appears to be an error: in which case he should query the author regarding the proposed change.
> "Stedfast" would have been the common spelling in the 19th century.
> >
> > In cases where the author is deceased, the text should be printed as written.
> George Dance can consult the link or imgur image we provided.
> >
> > If the editor still cannot accept the author's spelling choice, and forces a change upon the text, he should note it as such (either by enclosing the change in brackets, or by printing the original spelling in a footnote)..
> George Dance will sputter and Will Dockery will deflect, but the truth is that George Dance's site is not a reliable source for information on poems.. He too often changes poems, titles, punctuation, facts and words and then attacks the messenger when the mistakes are pointed out. Professor NancyGene would take away many points when grading his papers--to the point of rejecting them. We have not looked into many of George Dance's poems of the day, but the ones we did look at were problematic.

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<9f0b4811-3a38-477a-be38-1bef10fa19c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224059&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224059

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 14:40:26 -0700 (PDT)
someone else's work
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 21:40 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 2:12:33 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 9:20:11 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:

> > > Exactly. When I use an archaic spelling, select a British spelling over an American, hyphenate, or run two words together into a single word, I do so for a purpose.
> > We have to assume that Marston knew what he wanted to convey.
> > >
> > > I would not want an "editor" to change my spelling choices on the spurious grounds of "house style."
> > George Dance was being lazy and didn't actually look at the original publication.
> George is either chronically lazy, or stubbornly stupid. I'm betting on the latter. He claims to spend a lot of time on his blog, and I suspect that he does his best to make it as good as possible (for him). Unfortunately, his "Mensa" IQ is just not up to the task.
> > > An editor should *always* go with the author's spelling choice, *unless* it appears to be an error: in which case he should query the author regarding the proposed change.
> > "Stedfast" would have been the common spelling in the 19th century.
> > >
> > > In cases where the author is deceased, the text should be printed as written.
> > George Dance can consult the link or imgur image we provided.
> > >
> > > If the editor still cannot accept the author's spelling choice, and forces a change upon the text, he should note it as such (either by enclosing the change in brackets, or by printing the original spelling in a footnote).
> > George Dance will sputter and Will Dockery will deflect, but the truth is that George Dance's site is not a reliable source for information on poems. He too often changes poems, titles, punctuation, facts and words and then attacks the messenger when the mistakes are pointed out. Professor NancyGene would take away many points when grading his papers--to the point of rejecting them. We have not looked into many of George Dance's poems of the day, but the ones we did look at were problematic.

George Dance is not denying anything and, besides, doing things the right way takes "so much" of his valuable time.

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<9344d09f-0ed2-48bf-8e56-1cc3302784ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224091&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224091

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 17:26:18 -0700 (PDT)
someone else's work
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 00:26 UTC

On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 5:40:28 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 2:12:33 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:

> > > We have to assume that Marston knew what he wanted to convey.

> > > George Dance was being lazy and didn't actually look at the original publication.
> > George is either chronically lazy, or stubbornly stupid. I'm betting on the latter. He claims to spend a lot of time on his blog, and I suspect that he does his best to make it as good as possible (for him). Unfortunately, his "Mensa" IQ is just not up to the task.
> > > "Stedfast" would have been the common spelling in the 19th century.

> > > George Dance can consult the link or imgur image we provided.

> > > George Dance will sputter and Will Dockery will deflect, but the truth is that George Dance's site is not a reliable source for information on poems. He too often changes poems, titles, punctuation, facts and words and then attacks the messenger when the mistakes are pointed out. Professor NancyGene would take away many points when grading his papers--to the point of rejecting them. We have not looked into many of George Dance's poems of the day, but the ones we did look at were problematic.
> George Dance is not denying anything and, besides, doing things the right way takes "so much" of his valuable time.

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<d2bc358a-b397-4eab-b9a1-1bab4bc8f74cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224174&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224174

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:46:00 -0700 (PDT)
someone else's work
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:46 UTC

On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 12:26:19 AM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 5:40:28 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:

> > > George is either chronically lazy, or stubbornly stupid. I'm betting on the latter. He claims to spend a lot of time on his blog, and I suspect that he does his best to make it as good as possible (for him). Unfortunately, his "Mensa" IQ is just not up to the task.

> > George Dance is not denying anything and, besides, doing things the right way takes "so much" of his valuable time.

It was someone else's fault--this time the culprit, who did George Dance wrong, was a 19th century primer.

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<f7c0ed50-bab1-4595-bd7e-45700e57fc38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224204&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224204

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 07:34:15 -0700 (PDT)
someone else's work
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 14:34 UTC

On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 7:46:03 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 12:26:19 AM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:

> > > George Dance is not denying anything and, besides, doing things the right way takes "so much" of his valuable time.
> > >
> It was someone else's fault--this time the culprit, who did George Dance wrong, was a 19th century primer.

So George has been whining. But, of course, we know that a reputable editor will check the accuracy of his source material (especially when the source is as questionable as a school primer).

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<5704053b-e460-4e32-b66c-9dfc354c540fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224247&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224247

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 10:07:25 -0700 (PDT)
someone else's work
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 17:07 UTC

On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 2:34:17 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 7:46:03 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:

> > It was someone else's fault--this time the culprit, who did George Dance wrong, was a 19th century primer.
> So George has been whining. But, of course, we know that a reputable editor will check the accuracy of his source material (especially when the source is as questionable as a school primer).

We also made sure that the errors were not the result of a faulty OCR scan. They were not. We looked at the (Southey) book as printed. The primer probably decided that the young students did not need to be exposed to variations on words and so "corrected" those. The primer (at: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED621290.pdf) was published in 1906. Ms. Southey's book was published in 1822. It was not contemporary.

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<52489e3d-4aa2-4f60-9a65-7150a6a7d247n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224274&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224274

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:42:18 -0700 (PDT)
someone else's work
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 18:42 UTC

On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 1:07:27 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 2:34:17 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:

> > > It was someone else's fault--this time the culprit, who did George Dance wrong, was a 19th century primer.
> > So George has been whining. But, of course, we know that a reputable editor will check the accuracy of his source material (especially when the source is as questionable as a school primer).
> We also made sure that the errors were not the result of a faulty OCR scan. They were not. We looked at the (Southey) book as printed. The primer probably decided that the young students did not need to be exposed to variations on words and so "corrected" those. The primer (at: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED621290.pdf) was published in 1906. Ms. Southey's book was published in 1822. It was not contemporary.

Schoolbooks were notorious for making literature kiddie friendly. Perhaps Penny's Purloined Poetry pages are kiddie friendly as well.

Re: George Dance, you have again changed a title and a word in someone else's work

<f034072a-589b-4dfd-94ef-f2eb7b43062cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224340&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224340

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 18:42:55 -0700 (PDT)
someone else's work
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 01:42 UTC