Promise her anything, but give her Exxon unleaded.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Charles Bukowski

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Charles BukowskiWill Dockery
`* Re: Charles BukowskiGeneral-Zod
 +- Re: Charles BukowskiW-Dockery
 +- Re: Charles BukowskiW-Dockery
 `- Re: Charles BukowskiW.Dockery

1
Re: Charles Bukowski

<f229d9af-309c-4628-9596-d0296291be75n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=197155&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#197155

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 16:23:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Charles Bukowski
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 00:23 UTC

On Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at 10:06:19 AM UTC-4, baloney wrote:
> [...]
> mousy eccentric.
> >
> > On the Buffett angle, here's probably the ultimate JB song-poem:
> >
> > A Pirate Looks At Forty
> >
> > Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call
> > Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
> > You've seen it all, you've seen it all
> >
> > Watched the men who rode you switch from sails to steam
> > And in your belly you hold the treasures few have ever seen
> > Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
> >
> > Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
> > The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
> > I'm an over-forty victim of fate
> > Arriving too late, arriving too late
> >
> > I've done a bit of smugglin', I've run my share of grass
> > I made enough money to buy Miami, but I pissed it away so fast
> > Never meant to last, never meant to last
> >
> > And I have been drunk now for over two weeks
> > I passed out and I rallied and I sprung a few leaks
> > But I got stop wishin', got to go fishin'
> > Down to rock bottom again
> > Just a few friends, just a few friends
> >
> > (instrumental)
> >
> > I go for younger women, lived with several awhile
> > Though I ran 'em away, they'd come back one day
> > Still could manage to smile
> > Just takes a while, just takes a while
> >
> > Mother, mother ocean, after all the years I've found
> > My occupational hazard being my occupation's just not around
> > I feel like I've drowned, gonna head uptown
> >
> > Coda:
> > I feel like I've drowned, gonna head uptown
> >
> > -Jimmy Buffett, 1974
> >
> > > Wry little poem by Buk, thanks for posting.
> >
> > It probably goes without saying that Buk's one of my favorites, though
> > his name hasn't come up much lately (the last time was prbably when I
> > compared Chuck's "shock" style to Buk)... Dale Houstman gave me a very
> > memorable paperback book blurb quote when he wrote that I was "...a
> > better poet than Bukowski..." or something similar.
> >
> It doesn't surprise me that you'd like Buk and Houstman wouldn't. I
> like Buk in small doses; he's not my favorite, but there is a certain
> appeal. In case you haven't noticed, Earl Nelson's work is highly
> influenced by Buk.
> > Anyhow, I don't have the book handy and no time to Google (a few hours
> > of sailboat repair await today) but "Boarding House Madrigals" is the
> > poetry book of Buk's I'd name as a favorite out of the dozens out
> > there, containing many favorites which were fun to read aloud when the
> > time came to wake up the audience. The one where Buk writes
> >
> > "...My old lady wouldn't let me sleep..." a few more lines "...so I
> > killed her."
> >
> > and the one where he wakes up from a drunken night and finds his
> > friend with his big toes in his old lady's... well, you can guess
> > where, or know the poem already... I might look these up later, if
> > they're online somewhere, and post them here... great stuff.
> >
> Post one when you find it.
> Have fun with the boat. I usually get a boat fixing chore put on me

Good memories, I had forgotten Barfield's boat.

🙂

Re: Charles Bukowski

<13a1de0a559c91bd262385cd0ee11bc5@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=197663&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#197663

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 22:11:36 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 22:11 UTC

Was it the big pontoon boat...?

Re: Charles Bukowski

<a32525f28d2cca52081022581be203e9@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=197861&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#197861

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 00:23:10 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 00:23 UTC

This was Barfield's sailboat.

Re: Charles Bukowski

<318766f16bda867e1a8eaf55bc355b32@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198513&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#198513

Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 21:50:13 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 21:50 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>>> The old man only looks like Teddy. The old salts I knew were my
>>> father's friends, but they weren't poets. I spent a lot time on boats
>>> as a kid. I cleaned a lot of fish, caught some too.
>>> Anyway, Barfield, whom I only know from what you've written, seems
>>> like a character from a southern gothic novel, eccentric, a little
>>> wild, interesting. I can't fault others for eccentricity, but I'm a
>>> mousy eccentric.

>>> It doesn't surprise me that you'd like Buk and Houstman wouldn't. I
>>> like Buk in small doses; he's not my favorite, but there is a certain
>>> appeal. In case you haven't noticed, Earl Nelson's work is highly
>>> influenced by Buk.

>>> Post one when you find it.
>>> Have fun with the boat. I usually get a boat fixing chore put on me
>>> when I visit my sister.

>> Good memories, I had forgotten Barfield's boat.

>> 🙂

> Was it the big pontoon boat...?

This was the small sailboat Barfield brought back with him from Florida, back in 2007.

Re: Charles Bukowski

<21a57bc79ed4b301fa56bfc6ce47293b@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223700&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223700

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:00:43 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:00 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>>> The old man only looks like Teddy. The old salts I knew were my
>>> father's friends, but they weren't poets. I spent a lot time on boats
>>> as a kid. I cleaned a lot of fish, caught some too.
>>> Anyway, Barfield, whom I only know from what you've written, seems
>>> like a character from a southern gothic novel, eccentric, a little
>>> wild, interesting. I can't fault others for eccentricity, but I'm a
>>> mousy eccentric.

>>> It doesn't surprise me that you'd like Buk and Houstman wouldn't. I
>>> like Buk in small doses; he's not my favorite, but there is a certain
>>> appeal. In case you haven't noticed, Earl Nelson's work is highly
>>> influenced by Buk.

My thoughts on Bukowski, for those who are interested ^^^^^^^