Your aim is high and to the right.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange Bedfellows

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange BedfellowsWill Dockery
+* Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange BedfellowsGeneral-Zod
|`- Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange BedfellowsW.Dockery
`* Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange BedfellowsGeneral-Zod
 `* Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange BedfellowsW.Dockery
  `* Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange BedfellowsGeneral-Zod
   `* Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange BedfellowsW.Dockery
    `- Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange BedfellowsGeneral-Zod

1
Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange Bedfellows

<cc0a7e9c-26fc-405f-bb7f-5530b33845b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=225267&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#225267

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 09:30:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange Bedfellows
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 16:30 UTC

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 2:50:10 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

Okay, again, eight years ago was when I was reading and reading about Mina Loy:

> Nice section in the book Strange Bedfellows (And "The History of Modern Poetry", Page 311 by David Perkins, which is where Steven Watson seems to have gotten most of his information) about the movement that took off around 1910 (and not before in any major way, although the form can be traced back as far as Beowulf, the writer claims) the "Poets of Revolt" aka "Free Versers".
>
> Ezra Pound and Amy Lowell seem to me to be the most famous poets of this group. In 1912, Pound wrote "I believe in /Absolute Rhythm/, that is [...] poetry that corresponds exactly to the emotion being expressed..."
>
> The Poets of Revolt term was supposedly generic for the new poets, the writers of the 1910s also known as "free-versers" and vers librists, because they championed the rise of free verse, which replaced fixed stanzas, meter and rhyme with Absolute Rhythm, as Erza Pound called it.
>
> In addition, there were other distinctive factions during 1910-1917 and beyond...
>
> The Tramp Poets (!) aka Hobohemians, led by Vachel Lindsay, Harry Kemp and others, The Patagonians, Imagists and the Otherists all fit under the generic (and sometimes sneering) label of Poets of Revolt, the Free-Versers.
>
> Poets loosely associated with these groups included:
>
> Richard Aldington
> Amy Lowell
> Vacel Lindsay
> Harry Kemp
> Donald Evans
> Allen Norton
> Louise Norton
> H.D.
> Mina Loy
> William Carlos Williams
> Alfred Kreymborg
> Ezra Pound
>
> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>
> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."

HTH and HAND.

Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange Bedfellows

<b41b650b8bfdbbc6a4f5ff9a49544eab@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=225940&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#225940

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 18:06:19 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 18:06 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Okay, again, eight years ago was when I was reading and reading about Mina Loy:

>> Nice section in the book Strange Bedfellows (And "The History of Modern Poetry", Page 311 by David Perkins, which is where Steven Watson seems to have gotten most of his information) about the movement that took off around 1910 (and not before in any major way, although the form can be traced back as far as Beowulf, the writer claims) the "Poets of Revolt" aka "Free Versers".
>>
>> Ezra Pound and Amy Lowell seem to me to be the most famous poets of this group. In 1912, Pound wrote "I believe in /Absolute Rhythm/, that is [...] poetry that corresponds exactly to the emotion being expressed..."
>>
>> The Poets of Revolt term was supposedly generic for the new poets, the writers of the 1910s also known as "free-versers" and vers librists, because they championed the rise of free verse, which replaced fixed stanzas, meter and rhyme with Absolute Rhythm, as Erza Pound called it.
>>
>> In addition, there were other distinctive factions during 1910-1917 and beyond...
>>
>> The Tramp Poets (!) aka Hobohemians, led by Vachel Lindsay, Harry Kemp and others, The Patagonians, Imagists and the Otherists all fit under the generic (and sometimes sneering) label of Poets of Revolt, the Free-Versers.
>>
>> Poets loosely associated with these groups included:
>>
>> Richard Aldington
>> Amy Lowell
>> Vacel Lindsay
>> Harry Kemp
>> Donald Evans
>> Allen Norton
>> Louise Norton
>> H.D.
>> Mina Loy
>> William Carlos Williams
>> Alfred Kreymborg
>> Ezra Pound

Some faves here and some I have yet to discover...!
>> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>>
>> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."

> HTH and HAND.

***

Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange Bedfellows

<c4ccba7e054e20df6d15ae34c5d37d44@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=226224&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#226224

Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 21:57:46 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 21:57 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> Okay, again, eight years ago was when I was reading and reading about Mina Loy:

>>> Nice section in the book Strange Bedfellows (And "The History of Modern Poetry", Page 311 by David Perkins, which is where Steven Watson seems to have gotten most of his information) about the movement that took off around 1910 (and not before in any major way, although the form can be traced back as far as Beowulf, the writer claims) the "Poets of Revolt" aka "Free Versers".
>>>
>>> Ezra Pound and Amy Lowell seem to me to be the most famous poets of this group. In 1912, Pound wrote "I believe in /Absolute Rhythm/, that is [...] poetry that corresponds exactly to the emotion being expressed..."
>>>
>>> The Poets of Revolt term was supposedly generic for the new poets, the writers of the 1910s also known as "free-versers" and vers librists, because they championed the rise of free verse, which replaced fixed stanzas, meter and rhyme with Absolute Rhythm, as Erza Pound called it.
>>>
>>> In addition, there were other distinctive factions during 1910-1917 and beyond...
>>>
>>> The Tramp Poets (!) aka Hobohemians, led by Vachel Lindsay, Harry Kemp and others, The Patagonians, Imagists and the Otherists all fit under the generic (and sometimes sneering) label of Poets of Revolt, the Free-Versers.
>>>
>>> Poets loosely associated with these groups included:
>>>
>>> Richard Aldington
>>> Amy Lowell
>>> Vachel Lindsay
>>> Harry Kemp
>>> Donald Evans
>>> Allen Norton
>>> Louise Norton
>>> H.D.
>>> Mina Loy
>>> William Carlos Williams
>>> Alfred Kreymborg
>>> Ezra Pound

> Some faves here and some I have yet to discover...!

Agreed.

>>> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>>>
>>> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."

>> HTH and HAND.

Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange Bedfellows

<93ffda143636b709e60be1da887fd33a@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=226425&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#226425

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 20:59:22 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 20:59 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Okay, again, eight years ago was when I was reading and reading about Mina Loy:

>> Nice section in the book Strange Bedfellows (And "The History of Modern Poetry", Page 311 by David Perkins, which is where Steven Watson seems to have gotten most of his information) about the movement that took off around 1910 (and not before in any major way, although the form can be traced back as far as Beowulf, the writer claims) the "Poets of Revolt" aka "Free Versers".
>>
>> Ezra Pound and Amy Lowell seem to me to be the most famous poets of this group. In 1912, Pound wrote "I believe in /Absolute Rhythm/, that is [...] poetry that corresponds exactly to the emotion being expressed..."
>>
>> The Poets of Revolt term was supposedly generic for the new poets, the writers of the 1910s also known as "free-versers" and vers librists, because they championed the rise of free verse, which replaced fixed stanzas, meter and rhyme with Absolute Rhythm, as Erza Pound called it.
>>
>> In addition, there were other distinctive factions during 1910-1917 and beyond...
>>
>> The Tramp Poets (!) aka Hobohemians, led by Vachel Lindsay, Harry Kemp and others, The Patagonians, Imagists and the Otherists all fit under the generic (and sometimes sneering) label of Poets of Revolt, the Free-Versers.
>>
>> Poets loosely associated with these groups included:
>>
>> Richard Aldington
>> Amy Lowell
>> Vachel Lindsay
>> Harry Kemp
>> Donald Evans
>> Allen Norton
>> Louise Norton
>> H.D.
>> Mina Loy
>> William Carlos Williams
>> Alfred Kreymborg
>> Ezra Pound
>>
>> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>>
>> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."

> HTH and HAND.

Intertesting history piece...

Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange Bedfellows

<a513eb54a9a35dc2bceea3448eb5d129@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=227200&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#227200

Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 02:34:19 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 02:34 UTC

Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>>
>> Okay, again, eight years ago was when I was reading and reading about Mina Loy:

>>> Nice section in the book Strange Bedfellows (And "The History of Modern Poetry", Page 311 by David Perkins, which is where Steven Watson seems to have gotten most of his information) about the movement that took off around 1910 (and not before in any major way, although the form can be traced back as far as Beowulf, the writer claims) the "Poets of Revolt" aka "Free Versers".
>>>
>>> Ezra Pound and Amy Lowell seem to me to be the most famous poets of this group. In 1912, Pound wrote "I believe in /Absolute Rhythm/, that is [...] poetry that corresponds exactly to the emotion being expressed..."
>>>
>>> The Poets of Revolt term was supposedly generic for the new poets, the writers of the 1910s also known as "free-versers" and vers librists, because they championed the rise of free verse, which replaced fixed stanzas, meter and rhyme with Absolute Rhythm, as Ezra Pound called it.
>>>
>>> In addition, there were other distinctive factions during 1910-1917 and beyond...
>>>
>>> The Tramp Poets (!) aka Hobohemians, led by Vachel Lindsay, Harry Kemp and others, The Patagonians, Imagists and the Otherists all fit under the generic (and sometimes sneering) label of Poets of Revolt, the Free-Versers.
>>>
>>> Poets loosely associated with these groups included:
>>>
>>> Richard Aldington
>>> Amy Lowell
>>> Vachel Lindsay
>>> Harry Kemp
>>> Donald Evans
>>> Allen Norton
>>> Louise Norton
>>> H.D.
>>> Mina Loy
>>> William Carlos Williams
>>> Alfred Kreymborg
>>> Ezra Pound
>>>
>>> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>>>
>>> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."

>> HTH and HAND.

> Intertesting history piece...

T say the least.

Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange Bedfellows

<b988f44409d79f692b2941275e9c6908@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=227907&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#227907

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:04:52 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:04 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Zod wrote:

>> Will Dockery wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, again, eight years ago was when I was reading and reading about Mina Loy:

>>> HTH and HAND.

>> Intertesting history piece...

> T say the least.

Indeed and agreed...

Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange Bedfellows

<de8de5f209e4b8723fc276d761dbe761@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228786&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228786

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 02:39:10 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 02:39 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> Zod wrote:

> Intertesting history piece...

It even got trolls like Pendragon interested.

🙂

Re: Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers / Strange Bedfellows

<e5f6aae82d9b4a4e1c40eb4a13a871e3@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246485&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246485

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 21:12:31 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 21:12 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

>> Intertesting history piece...

> It even got trolls like Pendragon interested.

> 🙂

Pen seems to have left us...?