Uncompensated overtime? Just Say No.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Charles Bukowski

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Charles BukowskiZod
+- Re: Charles BukowskiW-Dockery
+* Re: Charles BukowskiW.Dockery
|`* Re: Charles BukowskiGeneral-Zod
| `- Re: Charles BukowskiW.Dockery
`- Re: Charles BukowskiW.Dockery

1
Re: Charles Bukowski

<b26efa63-bcfb-496d-be79-13d61745d759n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=202035&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#202035

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 14:34:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Charles Bukowski
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Zod)
 by: Zod - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 22:34 UTC

On Friday, July 27, 2007 at 1:02:51 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> "baloney" wrote
> > On Jul 24, 2:56 pm, Will Dockery wrote:
> >
> > > It probably goes without saying that Buk's one of my favorites, though
> > > his name hasn't come up much lately (the last time was prbably when I
> > > compared Chuck's "shock" style to Buk)... Dale Houstman gave me a very
> > > memorable paperback book blurb quote when he wrote that I was "...a
> > > better poet than Bukowski..." or something similar.
> > >
> > It doesn't surprise me that you'd like Buk and Houstman wouldn't.
> Well, the common dislike of Bukowski here is pretty interesting, in light of
> the firestorm of reaction here recently to another "poet" who has much more
> in common with Buk than Vera or Pandora, the
> chopped-up-confessional-prose-verse, the "fucken" plain speaking language,
> the /punch-line/ zinger at the end... Houstman, in a candid moment, might
> call Bukowski's poetry "shit", as he would others using the style... in a
> candid moment, or a confused one.
> > I like Buk in small doses; he's not my favorite, but there is a certain
> appeal.
> Well, like Blue's poem about Bukowski, and the flood of Buk-wannabes,
> sometimes the navel-gazings laced with "fuckens" and all that are
> interesting and amusing, and liven up a poetry reading since there's usually
> always a punk or two to jump up with that and scare the manager of the joint
> (I remember a few years ago when a host was forced by the managment to
> unplug the mic of Joseph Garcia when he went on and on with a poem about
> "fucking the wide vagina of the universe" or something like that in cosmic,
> sloppy detail... miss old Joe...) but my real favorites are the ones (like
> Houstman, Rimbaud, Ginsberg and... yeah, again, Kerouac) who also include
> the brilliant flashing chains of images with the gritty facts of passing out
> and waking up in the gutter... as I wrote a couple of weeks ago in a post
> that seems to have been passed over (since it got no responses):
> > >I can't agree with that since Kerouac is a quite brilliant poet, in my
> Opinion.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

More Doc on Bukowski and Kerouac ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > really? how so? how was Kerouac a "brilliant" poet?

Doc's thoughts on the poetry of Jack Kerouac, below:

> [...]
> Murder victims admitted to this life,
> Skeletons bartering fingers and joints.
> -Jack Kerouac
> ----
> That's it, my non-expert opinion on why Kerouac was a "brilliant" poet, take
> it or leave it.
> In fact, how about you follow your own "rules" and explain for a few
> paragraphs how Kerouac's poetry was /not/ "brilliant"?
> Nope, you'll no doubt just jeer at "Will Dockery" and manage to avoid
> anything else, am I right?
> Here's Kerouac's "mission statement" on what his poetry was intended, and
> did, achieve:
> "I want to be considered a jazz poet blowing a long blues in an
> afternoon jam session on Sunday. I take 242 choruses; my ideas vary
> and sometimes roll from chorus to chorus or from halfway through a
> chorus to halfway into the next." -Jack Kerouac
> And, sorry, pal, but here's an expert opinion cut-n-paste that supports my
> opinion that Kerouac's poetry is indeed "brilliant":
> "Kerouac is being popularized as an icon of culture - my regret is that
> sight of him as an artist will be lost.. We'll know his name and some work
> considered typical. But we'll miss one of the finest, brightest sensoriums
> that has graced verse with intelligence and intellect. [...] Kerouac is best
> known for his novel "On the Road", but his masterpiece is "Mexico City
> Blues", a religious poem startling in its majesty and comedy and gentleness
> and vision. [...] Kerouac is known worldwide as a novelist. He is sometimes
> also known as the writer of haiku-type poems or intermediate-length poems on
> the subject of Rimbaud or Budhism. But Kerouac is little known as the author
> of several major poems which he considered to be blues works. These books
> include the unpublished Washington D.C. Blues, San Francisco Blues, and
> Berkeley Blues. They range in style from Dos Passos-like descriptive verse
> to poetrylike journals. Outstanding in all modern poetry is the epic- length
> Mexico City Blues. [...] The rules of Mexico City Blues were that they
> should be written on the pages of a pocket notebook such as Kerouac nearly
> always carried. Each page of the notebook would be a chorus. Eventually, in
> the developing structure of the poem, each line becomes a complete, and
> whole, independent image. [...] A further rule of Mexico City Blues was that
> it must all be spontaneous - all a risk - a free, inspired, or noninspired,
> flowing statement, liberated from judgements about its value. It was done
> for itself - as an organism lives for itself." -Michael McClure
> Urm, well, that's where I'm at, or hoping to /get to/.
> > In case you haven't noticed, Earl Nelson's work is highly
> > influenced by Buk.
> This is the "Ghost of C Earl Nelson", who had a flurry of posts here a week
> or so ago? I read through some of that, and I guess you're right... as far
> as that sort of thing goes, I guess I prefer Chuck's "Perfect Angel" or....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Doc's thoughts on Charles Bukowski, in case any here have missed it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Charles Bukowski

<fad5cf37686b19209cfbf549ee7f9a7a@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=202196&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#202196

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 15:34:05 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 15:34 UTC

Zod wrote:

> [...]

>> whole, independent image. [...] A further rule of Mexico City Blues was that
>> it must all be spontaneous - all a risk - a free, inspired, or noninspired,
>> flowing statement, liberated from judgements about its value. It was done
>> for itself - as an organism lives for itself." -Michael McClure
>> Urm, well, that's where I'm at, or hoping to /get to/.
>> > In case you haven't noticed, Earl Nelson's work is highly
>> > influenced by Buk.
>> This is the "Ghost of C Earl Nelson", who had a flurry of posts here a week
>> or so ago? I read through some of that, and I guess you're right... as far
>> as that sort of thing goes, I guess I prefer Chuck's "Perfect Angel" or....
>> "Spectre".
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Doc's thoughts on Charles Bukowski, in case any here have missed it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks again for reading and commenting, Zod.

🙂

Re: Charles Bukowski

<8e57939e1a95971395157810f2a77c55@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223361&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223361

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 03:24:48 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 03:24 UTC

Thanks again, Zod.

Re: Charles Bukowski

<03edcc9fb3d6ff6b362cf675bb1c5f9e@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224045&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224045

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 20:13:14 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <46a53064$0$31389$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au> <69qdnfyXocagQzjbnZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@comcast.com> <1185285659.060724.172660@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com> <1185303375.722919.203710@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1185372379.869988.115260@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com> <83301$46aa2570$18d62320$26983@KNOLOGY.NET> <b26efa63-bcfb-496d-be79-13d61745d759n@googlegroups.com> <8e57939e1a95971395157810f2a77c55@news.novabbs.com>
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 20:13 UTC

Good day to you...!

Re: Charles Bukowski

<027ac83da6b3b76f5d4902119db67600@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224773&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224773

Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 12:39:43 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <46a53064$0$31389$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au> <69qdnfyXocagQzjbnZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@comcast.com> <1185285659.060724.172660@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com> <1185303375.722919.203710@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1185372379.869988.115260@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com> <83301$46aa2570$18d62320$26983@KNOLOGY.NET> <b26efa63-bcfb-496d-be79-13d61745d759n@googlegroups.com> <8e57939e1a95971395157810f2a77c55@news.novabbs.com> <03edcc9fb3d6ff6b362cf675bb1c5f9e@news.novabbs.com>
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 12:39 UTC

General Zod wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:

>> Zod wrote:

>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>> More Doc on Bukowski and Kerouac ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>> Doc's thoughts on the poetry of Jack Kerouac, below:

> Good day to you...!

Good morning Zod, hope you and Mike are doing well.

🙂

Re: Charles Bukowski

<1a3f5c0c2069b95cd976fa06841f01a5@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=225605&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#225605

Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 01:02:42 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 01:02 UTC

Zod wrote:

> [...]

>> whole, independent image. [...] A further rule of Mexico City Blues was that
>> it must all be spontaneous - all a risk - a free, inspired, or noninspired,
>> flowing statement, liberated from judgements about its value. It was done
>> for itself - as an organism lives for itself." -Michael McClure
>> Urm, well, that's where I'm at, or hoping to /get to/.
>> > In case you haven't noticed, Earl Nelson's work is highly
>> > influenced by Buk.
>> This is the "Ghost of C Earl Nelson", who had a flurry of posts here a week
>> or so ago? I read through some of that, and I guess you're right... as far
>> as that sort of thing goes, I guess I prefer Chuck's "Perfect Angel" or....
>> "Spectre".

> Doc's thoughts on Charles Bukowski, in case any here have missed it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good evening, thanks again.

🙂

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Charles Bukowski