Every little picofarad has a nanohenry all its own. -- Don Vonada

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / St. Petersburg

SubjectAuthor
* St. PetersburgIlya Shambat
`* Re: St. Petersburgroach
 `- Re: St. PetersburgGeneral-Zod

1
St. Petersburg

<1e14c1f8-0da1-4036-929b-d91b80d87886n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=225824&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#225824

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 18:06:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: St. Petersburg
From: ibsham...@gmail.com (Ilya Shambat)
 by: Ilya Shambat - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 01:06 UTC

Above the federal buildings' yellow gown
A hazy flurry circles far and wide
Within the sled the coachman sits down
And with broad gesture hides his coat inside.

Ships fall asleep. And in the evening, rocking,
Thick cabin windows fill to brim with light.
And monstrously -- just like a fortress docking --
Russia is breathing heavily at night.

On the Nieva stand hundred embassies;
Admiralty, the sun, and silence glare.
The state's tight porphyry upon us sits,
Poor like an uncouth bodice made of hair.

Hard is the journey of the Northern snob -
Eugene Onegin's well-cliche'ed despair;
On Senate square are mounds of fallen snow
A bonfire's smoke, and chill of steel made bare.

The ducks are sipping water, and the gulls
In waving folds of sea are gently lurking
Where, selling lumps of beef or tender rolls,
Like opera singers peasant men are walking.

Into the fog a row of birds is flying:
Self-loving, modest march can't wait.
That goof Onegin, poverty decrying
Is breathing gasoline and cursing fate.

By Osip Mandelshtam
Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat

Re: St. Petersburg

<bd29b192-f033-49c5-a0cb-d4f194692788n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=225828&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#225828

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 18:09:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: St. Petersburg
From: roach4...@gmail.com (roach)
 by: roach - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 01:09 UTC

On Thursday, August 3, 2023 at 6:06:40 PM UTC-7, Ilya Shambat wrote:
> Above the federal buildings' yellow gown
> A hazy flurry circles far and wide
> Within the sled the coachman sits down
> And with broad gesture hides his coat inside.
>
> Ships fall asleep. And in the evening, rocking,
> Thick cabin windows fill to brim with light.
> And monstrously -- just like a fortress docking --
> Russia is breathing heavily at night.
>
> On the Nieva stand hundred embassies;
> Admiralty, the sun, and silence glare.
> The state's tight porphyry upon us sits,
> Poor like an uncouth bodice made of hair.
>
> Hard is the journey of the Northern snob -
> Eugene Onegin's well-cliche'ed despair;
> On Senate square are mounds of fallen snow
> A bonfire's smoke, and chill of steel made bare.
>
> The ducks are sipping water, and the gulls
> In waving folds of sea are gently lurking
> Where, selling lumps of beef or tender rolls,
> Like opera singers peasant men are walking.
>
> Into the fog a row of birds is flying:
> Self-loving, modest march can't wait.
> That goof Onegin, poverty decrying
> Is breathing gasoline and cursing fate.
>
> By Osip Mandelshtam
> Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat

you must be so smart, ilya, to be able to translate poetry. to me, that seems like it must be such a remarkable skill!!!

Re: St. Petersburg

<a382c104d053a6ec9637488bed58b25f@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=226426&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#226426

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 21:01:04 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 21:01 UTC

roach wrote:

> On Thursday, August 3, 2023 at 6:06:40 PM UTC-7, Ilya Shambat wrote:
>
>> Above the federal buildings' yellow gown
>> A hazy flurry circles far and wide
>> Within the sled the coachman sits down
>> And with broad gesture hides his coat inside.
>>
>> Ships fall asleep. And in the evening, rocking,
>> Thick cabin windows fill to brim with light.
>> And monstrously -- just like a fortress docking --
>> Russia is breathing heavily at night.
>>
>> On the Nieva stand hundred embassies;
>> Admiralty, the sun, and silence glare.
>> The state's tight porphyry upon us sits,
>> Poor like an uncouth bodice made of hair.
>>
>> Hard is the journey of the Northern snob -
>> Eugene Onegin's well-cliche'ed despair;
>> On Senate square are mounds of fallen snow
>> A bonfire's smoke, and chill of steel made bare.
>>
>> The ducks are sipping water, and the gulls
>> In waving folds of sea are gently lurking
>> Where, selling lumps of beef or tender rolls,
>> Like opera singers peasant men are walking.
>>
>> Into the fog a row of birds is flying:
>> Self-loving, modest march can't wait.
>> That goof Onegin, poverty decrying
>> Is breathing gasoline and cursing fate.
>>
>> By Osip Mandelshtam
>> Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat

> you must be so smart, ilya, to be able to translate poetry. to me, that seems like it must be such a remarkable skill!!!

I.S. does a most splendid job indeed....