The only constant is change.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood Roberts' "July" poem

SubjectAuthor
* George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood Roberts'NancyGene
+* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodGeorge Dance
|`* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodNancyGene
| +* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodNancyGene
| |`* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodGeorge Dance
| | `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodWill Dockery
| |  `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodMichael Pendragon
| |   `- Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodWill Dockery
| `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodGeorge Dance
|  +* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodNancyGene
|  |`* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodAsh Wurthing
|  | `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodNancyGene
|  |  `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodGeorge Dance
|  |   `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodNancyGene
|  |    `- Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodGeorge Dance
|  `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodMichael Pendragon
|   +* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodME
|   |`- Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodME
|   `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodGeorge Dance
|    `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodMichael Pendragon
|     `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodGeorge Dance
|      +* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodMichael Pendragon
|      |`* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodGeorge Dance
|      | +* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodMichael Pendragon
|      | |`* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodNancyGene
|      | | `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodNancyGene
|      | |  `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodNancyGene
|      | |   `- Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodNancyGene
|      | `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodWill Dockery
|      |  `* Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodMichael Pendragon
|      |   +- Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodWill Dockery
|      |   `- Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodAsh Wurthing
|      `- Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodWill Dockery
+- Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodWill Dockery
`- Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on EllwoodWill Dockery

Pages:12
Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood Roberts' "July" poem

<9a654e8f-bd63-4f8a-8712-8e98ebf32447n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223144&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223144

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:17:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood
Roberts' "July" poem
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:17 UTC

On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 1:41:13 AM UTC-4, George Dance wrote:
> [...]
> > More importantly, my actual statement also says that having the correct title is important for listing a book in a bibliography. Are you going to try to dismiss that as "monkeyshit" as well?
> What I'd dismiss as "monkeyshit" is your calling all the above "incorrect" titles. I could probably give you a list with just as much variations from bibliographies. I'm not going to, since I'm already spending too much time on your monkeyshines, but I would like you to be aware of the fact that punctuation and capitalization is not uniform across the internet or (as I know, because I use WorldCat in writing mine) across all libraries.
> > I have worked, professionally, as an assistant editor with a major Manhattan-based publishing house (Wolters-Kluwer). I also attended several graduate college courses (at both CUNY and NYU) in editing, proofreading, and book production while working there, and am trying to share some of the knowledge and experience I gained with you. I have proofread dozens of bibliographies, and am telling you that one does not insert commas into a book title, or set a supposed "subtitle" in lower case.
> I have created thousands of bibliographies on PPP, including those for articles from Wikipedia etc., and in the process have read at least five times as many. In the decade I've been doing that, I've noticed a wide variety in stylistic conventions -- are you aware, for example, that some places capitalize *only* the initial letter of a book's title? -- and chosen the ones I prefer.
> > Since you have set yourself up as an independent editor/publisher, it is helpful to be aware of such things. Rather than dismissing legitimate corrections as "monkeyshit," you should correct them on your blog and keep them in mind for future reference.
> I'm sorry to prick your exaggerated sense of self-importance again, Michael, but as I keep telling you: I do not consider you, NastyGoon, the Chimp, the MEatpuppet, or the Asstroll to be reliable sources of information on anything, and I am not going to start making changes on blog or wiki simply because you call them "correct".
> > I had two years of on-the-job training (along with the college courses) in order to advance from an editorial assistant to an assistant editor position. There's a lot to learn, and it's not the sort of thing that one can pick up simply from reading published books.
> I'm sure there is a lot to learn; but IMO the best way to learn how to write a bibliography is precisely by reading bibliographies.
> > I don't know what experience NancyGene has, but I do know that she possesses the skills to be a successful proofreader. When she offers you advice and corrections, you would be wise to take them.
> I'm sure NG appreciates the slurp. But you can do better than that for them. For one thing, stop the constant misgendering.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood Roberts' "July" poem

<ea56dc6a-4e3d-4e72-9204-f2b40705a40en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223157&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223157

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:59:49 -0700 (PDT)
Roberts' "July" poem
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:59 UTC

<b533b58f-9d89-4922-a49c-96a95719794en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223159&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223159

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:38:13 -0700 (PDT)
Roberts' "July" poem
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 18:38 UTC

<08fd3d75-7ce6-4238-948a-3507dea2ce0an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224072&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224072

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 15:12:28 -0700 (PDT)
Roberts' "July" poem
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 22:12 UTC

<0b017ef2-cb86-40d0-b171-4493f7584d33n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224083&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224083

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 16:16:50 -0700 (PDT)
Roberts' "July" poem
From: ashwurth...@gmail.com (Ash Wurthing)
 by: Ash Wurthing - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 23:16 UTC

<36ae924e-a8ac-4bff-b9c3-d1f7a1289df2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224118&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224118

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 18:35:12 -0700 (PDT)
Roberts' "July" poem
From: ashwurth...@gmail.com (Ash Wurthing)
 by: Ash Wurthing - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 01:35 UTC

On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 7:14:03 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 9:46:18 PM UTC, George Dance wrote:
> >
> > > Great, but you didn't fix the (wrong) comma that you inserted into the book's title.
> > Sounds like you're getting cocky. You should realize I didn't take your word for the date; I checked it against the PPP article. Publication date is a matter of fact, and I'm always happy to correct those when I have a reliable sourse (like PPP).
> (PS: "Source" is not spelled "sourse.") You vet your references by checking your own site? That wouldn't stand up in court. You should have looked up the book instead of looking at PPP, which seems to be wrong a good percentage of the time.
>
> Check out: https://imgur.com/gallery/iGZksT1
> We know that you don't trust the Library of Congress, but then it doesn't trust you either.
> >
> > OTOH, how a title should appear in another work is not a matter of fact, but a style decision. The title on the front page of the book is "LYRICS OF QUAKERISM / AND / OTHER POEMS". Both PPP and PPB use a comma, and give the subtitle ("and other poems") in lower case.
> That's not how it appears on the cover of the 1895 (not 1885) publication.. See: https://imgur.com/gallery/iGZksT1
> Just because you decided to do it doesn't make it correct. If we decided to write "Gone, With, The, Wind" as the title of Margaret Mitchell's book, would that be acceptable?
> > You should try to be 100% accurate instead of <50%. You really need a good proof reader and editor.
> > I can understand why you've be looking for a new gig, but I'll have to refuse your offer.
> We knew that you would go there, because it is obvious, and that's what George Dance does. We maintain that you need a good editor and proofreader, as does your only client. There are too many dumb mistakes being made, and you and your client are being poorly represented.
> > That's not a comment on your competence, BTW; I've given up trying to enter into professional relationships with people I can't trust. But thanks for your interest in the position.
> Do you have any imagination, George Dance? Please consult your wife about positions.

I was told that there was a murder...
Yep, that was murder by words-- call a bus!

Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood Roberts' "July" poem

<d2cac83e-e64e-4501-9278-092d111dbf09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224173&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#224173

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:44:09 -0700 (PDT)
Roberts' "July" poem
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:44 UTC

On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 1:35:14 AM UTC, Ash Wurthing wrote:
> On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 7:14:03 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:

> > > Sounds like you're getting cocky. You should realize I didn't take your word for the date; I checked it against the PPP article. Publication date is a matter of fact, and I'm always happy to correct those when I have a reliable sourse (like PPP).
> > (PS: "Source" is not spelled "sourse.") You vet your references by checking your own site? That wouldn't stand up in court. You should have looked up the book instead of looking at PPP, which seems to be wrong a good percentage of the time.
> >
> > Check out: https://imgur.com/gallery/iGZksT1
> > We know that you don't trust the Library of Congress, but then it doesn't trust you either.
> > >
> > > OTOH, how a title should appear in another work is not a matter of fact, but a style decision. The title on the front page of the book is "LYRICS OF QUAKERISM / AND / OTHER POEMS". Both PPP and PPB use a comma, and give the subtitle ("and other poems") in lower case.
> > That's not how it appears on the cover of the 1895 (not 1885) publication. See: https://imgur.com/gallery/iGZksT1
> > Just because you decided to do it doesn't make it correct. If we decided to write "Gone, With, The, Wind" as the title of Margaret Mitchell's book, would that be acceptable?
> > > You should try to be 100% accurate instead of <50%. You really need a good proof reader and editor.
> > > I can understand why you've be looking for a new gig, but I'll have to refuse your offer.
> > We knew that you would go there, because it is obvious, and that's what George Dance does. We maintain that you need a good editor and proofreader, as does your only client. There are too many dumb mistakes being made, and you and your client are being poorly represented.
> > > That's not a comment on your competence, BTW; I've given up trying to enter into professional relationships with people I can't trust. But thanks for your interest in the position.
> > Do you have any imagination, George Dance? Please consult your wife about positions.
> I was told that there was a murder...
> Yep, that was murder by words-- call a bus!
George Dance denies all charges and claims that the murder was committed long before he was born. He just stumbled upon it and copied it.

Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood Roberts' "July" poem

<d23aaf2c-6b79-41e6-8d0c-374b9c2fb3dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=225077&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#225077

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:54:04 -0700 (PDT)
Roberts' "July" poem
From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George Dance)
 by: George Dance - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 18:54 UTC

On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 8:39:36 PM UTC-4, Michael Monkey aka "Michael Pendragon" wrote:
> On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 4:48:50 AM UTC-4, George Dance wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 29, 2023 at 8:07:28 PM UTC-4, Michael Monkey aka "Michael Pendragon" wrote:
> > > Why must you always repay invaluable favors with pettiness and scorn?
> I don't expect you to thank anyone for correcting your editorial blunders..

Expect what you want; but that's no reason for you to claim (once again, falsely) that I don't thank those who spot errors on the blog. The very thread on which NG kicked off the current campaign is enough to show that your story is false:
"George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood Roberts' "July" poem"
[link snipped because this is the thread in question]

NG pointed out the error in the date; I checked it out and confirmed they were correct; so I changed it and thanked them. That should have been the end of it.

Of course, since having the error fixed was only a pretext for NG to troll -- they were "concern trolling" -- that was not the end of it. NG is still trolling on that thread to this day.

(copied from another troll thread)

Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood Roberts' "July" poem

<8d4aa3ed-7a64-4874-9734-4e6aec5fc330n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=225207&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#225207

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 04:37:36 -0700 (PDT)
Roberts' "July" poem
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 11:37 UTC

On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 6:54:06 PM UTC, George Dance wrote:
> On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 8:39:36 PM UTC-4, Michael Monkey aka "Michael Pendragon" wrote:
> > I don't expect you to thank anyone for correcting your editorial blunders.
>
> Expect what you want; but that's no reason for you to claim (once again, falsely) that I don't thank those who spot errors on the blog. The very thread on which NG kicked off the current campaign is enough to show that your story is false:
> "George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood Roberts' "July" poem"
> [link snipped because this is the thread in question]
>
> NG pointed out the error in the date; I checked it out and confirmed they were correct; so I changed it and thanked them. That should have been the end of it.
>
> Of course, since having the error fixed was only a pretext for NG to troll -- they were "concern trolling" -- that was not the end of it. NG is still trolling on that thread to this day.
>
> (copied from another troll thread)

George Dance, you pushed back significantly from admitting that you inserted a comma into the title. There was no comma in the original publication. You're welcome.

Re: George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood Roberts' "July" poem

<491fc2f3-2021-427f-8c97-5350838624d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=226042&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#226042

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 22:45:21 -0700 (PDT)
Roberts' "July" poem
From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George Dance)
 by: George Dance - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 05:45 UTC

On Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 7:37:38 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 6:54:06 PM UTC, George Dance wrote:
> > > I don't expect you to thank anyone for correcting your editorial blunders.
> >
> > Expect what you want; but that's no reason for you to claim (once again, falsely) that I don't thank those who spot errors on the blog. The very thread on which NG kicked off the current campaign is enough to show that your story is false:
> > "George Dance, you have the publication date wrong on Ellwood Roberts' "July" poem"
> > [link snipped because this is the thread in question]
> >
> > NG pointed out the error in the date; I checked it out and confirmed they were correct; so I changed it and thanked them. That should have been the end of it.
> >
> > Of course, since having the error fixed was only a pretext for NG to troll -- they were "concern trolling" -- that was not the end of it. NG is still trolling on that thread to this day.
> >
> > (copied from another troll thread)

> George Dance, you pushed back significantly from admitting that you inserted a comma into the title.

No, NG; my position hasn't changed from what I told you the day you brought it up.
"OTOH, how a title should appear in another work is not a matter of fact, but a style decision. The title on the front page of the book is "LYRICS OF QUAKERISM / AND / OTHER POEMS". Both PPP and PPB use a comma, and give the subtitle ("and other poems") in lower case."

> There was no comma in the original publication.

Once again, the title of the "original publication" was:

LYRICS OF QUAKERISM

AND

OTHER POEMS

(all caps, spread over five lines). No editor in the world would write it in a bibliography like that. Got it?