Ninety percent of everything is crap. -- Theodore Sturgeon

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: ❤️ Tu B'Av ❤️ 🌹🔥🌈 (Surprise?)

SubjectAuthor
* Re: ❤️ Tu B'Av ❤️ 🌹🔥🌈 (Surprise?)roach
`* Re: ❤️ Tu B'Av ❤️ 🌹🔥🌈 (Surprise?)Will Dockery
 `- Re: ❤️ Tu B'Av ❤️ 🌹🔥🌈 (Surprise?)General-Zod

1
Re: ❤️ Tu B'Av ❤️ 🌹🔥🌈 (Surprise?)

<3ab4d8c3-f75a-4940-b727-196c6f782d56n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=226623&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#226623

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 11:46:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: ❤️ Tu B'Av ❤️ 🌹🔥🌈 (Surprise?)
From: goldarac...@gmail.com (roach)
 by: roach - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 18:46 UTC

On Monday, August 7, 2023 at 6:13:38 PM UTC-7, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> [...]
> > > >
> > > Armchair English prof. Dance here, glad to help. There's a lot of things to discuss here. Let's start with the last one, the rule about not using commas at the ends of lines. That's just an application of a more fundamental rule, so we'll start with that. The basic rule of punctuation is that:
> > >
> > > Punctuation is for prose.
> > >
> > > That's literally true. Punctuation evolved to write human speech, and imitate the pauses people put in their speech to separate off different thought-units. To write prose, you need at least two, the comma for short separations between phrases and/or clauses, and the period for the longer separation between sentences. You don't need either one in poetry, because poetry already gives you those two pauses: instead of using a comma, you can show a short pause with a line break; and instead of a period, you can indicate a long pause with a stanza break. If you use those two breaks skilfully, you don't need any punctuation.
> > >
> > > Which doesn't mean you can't use any. You might want to combine short lines, eg, and there you'd need to use a comma or a period within a line; or any of the other punctuation marks in between: colon, semicolon -- and the dash -- as well. And, if you want, you can have punctuation no different from prose within all your lines; it adds a subliminal tension when punctuation and line/stanza breaks send different mesages to pause.
> > >
> > > You can also use any punctuation mark at the end of a line, for extra emphasis. Many poets, for example, like using at least one dash in a poem. But remember that end-line punctuation can be overused -- just think of Emily Dickinson's dashes. Only use punctuation where you think the poem needs it; otherside skip it.
> > >
> > > Initial capitals are a matter of choice, but you have to know what you're choosing between. Capitalizing the beginning of each line ("majusculation") can add ambiguity, reinforcing the difference with prose: with all lines capitalized and no end-line punctuation, every line could be the start of a sentence, and which allows the lines to be read different ways. One downside is it looks stuffy and formal, less intimate with the reader; I avoided majusculating in my earlier days, but I began doing more, not always but more, in my later work.
> > >
> > > Aside from line-end punctuation, I'd say the vast majority of modern poets do punctuate like prose, and that also governs their capitalization: they capitalize proper nouns and the initial words of sentences, regardless of where they appear. I think that's what readers are used to, and any deviation from it is not wrong but different, which can be a good or a bad thing.
> > A poem should not mean, but be." --Archibald MacLeish
>
> Here's the unedited quote:
>
> "A poem should not mean something different from its author's intent, but should be intelligible and grammatically correct." --Archibald MacLeish

he's like chinese water torture

Re: ❤️ Tu B'Av ❤️ 🌹🔥🌈 (Surprise?)

<8a46e4c6-8121-42d6-b115-58e36ac4fb62n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=226641&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#226641

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 12:10:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 19:10 UTC

On Tuesday, August 8, 2023 at 2:46:04 PM UTC-4, roach wrote:
> On Monday, August 7, 2023 at 6:13:38 PM UTC-7, Michael Pendragon wrote:

> > > A poem should not mean, but be." --Archibald MacLeish
> >
> > Here's the unedited quote:
> >
> > "A poem should not mean something different from its author's intent, but should be intelligible and grammatically correct." --Archibald MacLeish
> he's like chinese water torture

Really?

Re: ❤️ Tu B'Av ❤️ 🌹🔥🌈 (Surprise?)

<d96cb5e9b132e9b42523c4bcf83efe8c@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246594&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246594

From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: Re: ❤️ Tu B'Av ❤️ 🌹🔥🌈 (Surpri
se?)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 22:20:07 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 22:20 UTC

Hi Rachel, outstanding work, on second read...