An exotic journey in downtown Newark is in your future.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Peter Orlovsky

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Peter OrlovskyWill Dockery
+* Re: Peter OrlovskyGeneral-Zod
|`* Re: Peter OrlovskyW.Dockery
| `* Re: Peter OrlovskyFaraway Star
|  +- Re: Peter OrlovskyW.Dockery
|  `- Re: Peter OrlovskyW.Dockery
`* Re: Peter OrlovskyGeneral-Zod
 `- Re: Peter OrlovskyW.Dockery

1
Re: Peter Orlovsky

<a04f5c43-3d98-4466-870a-6d1f92d33422n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=226773&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#226773

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 15:05:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Peter Orlovsky
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 22:05 UTC

On Wednesday, August 9, 2023 at 4:03:07 PM UTC-4, K. Hematite wrote:
> On Sunday, 6 August 2023 at 14:18:09 UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > K, is that Peter Orlovsky driving across country with John Goodman in the back seat, or is this a generic Beat Generation guy?
> Afraid that I'm not in any position to provide a definitive answer to that question. The character Johnny Five does, out of the blue, suddenly announce to the car passengers "Clean Asshole Poems--Orlovsky," although whether this constitutes a claim of authorship or is merely a reference is far from clear. Later, at a roadside restaurant, Johnny Five seems to be reading--from what looks to me like a manuscript, not a published book--the poem "My Bed Is Covered Yellow" by Orlovsky. That could suggest that he was indeed intended to be taken as some version of Orlovsky.
>
> On the other hand, Johnny Five does tell Llewyn Davis that he acted for a while, appearing in the early 1960s play "The Brig," but that the police closed the show. I can't find anything that connects Orlovsky to "The Brig," although he did act in several films. I checked out the original cast listing for "The Brig" and Orlovsky wasn't in it.
>
> So, I'd say that the Johnny Five character probably inhabits the range between Orlovsky himself and some more generic representation of a Beat Era poet. Tangentially, a year before "Inside Llewyn Davis," Garrett Hedlund, who played Johnny Five, had the part of Dean Moriarty in "On the Road."
>
> My Bed is Covered Yellow by Peter Orlovsky
>
> My bed is covered yellow - Oh Sun, I sit on you
> Oh golden field I lay on you
> Oh money I dream of you
> More, More, cried the bed - talk to me more -
> Oh bed that taked the weight of the world -
> all the lost dreams laid on you
> Oh bed that grows no hair, that cannot be fucked
> or can be fucked
> Oh bed crumbs of all ages spiled on you
> Oh yellow bed march to the sun whear yr journey will be done
> Oh 50 lbs. of bed that takes 400 more lbs-
> how strong you are
> Oh bed, only for man & not for animals
> yellow bed when will the animals have equal rights?
> Oh 4 legged bed off the floor forever built
> Oh yellow bed all the news of the world
> lay on you at one time or another
>
> 1957, Paris

Thanks, yes, probably a Coen Brothers alternate universe person, as Llewyn Davis himself is.

(Moved from another thread for continuity)

Re: Peter Orlovsky

<1aa950ce769fa36da8da26495b5eb8fe@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=226970&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#226970

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 22:09:15 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 22:09 UTC

On Wednesday, August 9, 2023 at 4:03:07 PM UTC-4, K. Hematite wrote:
> On Sunday, 6 August 2023 at 14:18:09 UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > K, is that Peter Orlovsky driving across country with John Goodman in the back seat, or is this a generic Beat Generation guy?
> Afraid that I'm not in any position to provide a definitive answer to that question. The character Johnny Five does, out of the blue, suddenly announce to the car passengers "Clean Asshole Poems--Orlovsky," although whether this constitutes a claim of authorship or is merely a reference is far from clear. Later, at a roadside restaurant, Johnny Five seems to be reading--from what looks to me like a manuscript, not a published book--the poem "My Bed Is Covered Yellow" by Orlovsky. That could suggest that he was indeed intended to be taken as some version of Orlovsky.
>
> On the other hand, Johnny Five does tell Llewyn Davis that he acted for a while, appearing in the early 1960s play "The Brig," but that the police closed the show. I can't find anything that connects Orlovsky to "The Brig," although he did act in several films. I checked out the original cast listing for "The Brig" and Orlovsky wasn't in it.
>
> So, I'd say that the Johnny Five character probably inhabits the range between Orlovsky himself and some more generic representation of a Beat Era poet. Tangentially, a year before "Inside Llewyn Davis," Garrett Hedlund, who played Johnny Five, had the part of Dean Moriarty in "On the Road."

Ah... although I've seen that On The Road adaptation, I didn't recognize Garrett Hedlund plaed Dean Moriarty.

Makes sense that like the fictional folkies in the film he represents a fictional Beat character.......

> My Bed is Covered Yellow by Peter Orlovsky
>
> My bed is covered yellow - Oh Sun, I sit on you
> Oh golden field I lay on you
> Oh money I dream of you
> More, More, cried the bed - talk to me more -
> Oh bed that taked the weight of the world -
> all the lost dreams laid on you
> Oh bed that grows no hair, that cannot be fucked
> or can be fucked
> Oh bed crumbs of all ages spiled on you
> Oh yellow bed march to the sun whear yr journey will be done
> Oh 50 lbs. of bed that takes 400 more lbs-
> how strong you are
> Oh bed, only for man & not for animals
> yellow bed when will the animals have equal rights?
> Oh 4 legged bed off the floor forever built
> Oh yellow bed all the news of the world
> lay on you at one time or another
>
> 1957, Paris

Re: Peter Orlovsky

<cce99c823f576d430311f743a93bc968@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=227140&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#227140

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 20:23:23 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 20:23 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 9, 2023 at 4:03:07 PM UTC-4, K. Hematite wrote:
>> On Sunday, 6 August 2023 at 14:18:09 UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>>
>> > K, is that Peter Orlovsky driving across country with John Goodman in the back seat, or is this a generic Beat Generation guy?
>> Afraid that I'm not in any position to provide a definitive answer to that question. The character Johnny Five does, out of the blue, suddenly announce to the car passengers "Clean Asshole Poems--Orlovsky," although whether this constitutes a claim of authorship or is merely a reference is far from clear. Later, at a roadside restaurant, Johnny Five seems to be reading--from what looks to me like a manuscript, not a published book--the poem "My Bed Is Covered Yellow" by Orlovsky. That could suggest that he was indeed intended to be taken as some version of Orlovsky.
>>
>> On the other hand, Johnny Five does tell Llewyn Davis that he acted for a while, appearing in the early 1960s play "The Brig," but that the police closed the show. I can't find anything that connects Orlovsky to "The Brig," although he did act in several films. I checked out the original cast listing for "The Brig" and Orlovsky wasn't in it.
>>
>> So, I'd say that the Johnny Five character probably inhabits the range between Orlovsky himself and some more generic representation of a Beat Era poet. Tangentially, a year before "Inside Llewyn Davis," Garrett Hedlund, who played Johnny Five, had the part of Dean Moriarty in "On the Road."

> Ah... although I've seen that On The Road adaptation, I didn't recognize Garrett Hedlund plaed Dean Moriarty.

> Makes sense that like the fictional folkies in the film he represents a fictional Beat character.......

>> My Bed is Covered Yellow by Peter Orlovsky
>>
>> My bed is covered yellow - Oh Sun, I sit on you
>> Oh golden field I lay on you
>> Oh money I dream of you
>> More, More, cried the bed - talk to me more -
>> Oh bed that taked the weight of the world -
>> all the lost dreams laid on you
>> Oh bed that grows no hair, that cannot be fucked
>> or can be fucked
>> Oh bed crumbs of all ages spiled on you
>> Oh yellow bed march to the sun whear yr journey will be done
>> Oh 50 lbs. of bed that takes 400 more lbs-
>> how strong you are
>> Oh bed, only for man & not for animals
>> yellow bed when will the animals have equal rights?
>> Oh 4 legged bed off the floor forever built
>> Oh yellow bed all the news of the world
>> lay on you at one time or another
>>
>> 1957, Paris

"My Dream with Johnny 5"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPYOOJ-mgk

Re: Peter Orlovsky

<954d25af-eac5-4a94-a996-0649ff05fcd4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=227276&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#227276

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 13:29:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 20:29 UTC

On Friday, August 11, 2023 at 4:25:26 PM UTC-4, W.Dockery wrote:
> General-Zod wrote:

> >> Afraid that I'm not in any position to provide a definitive answer to that question. The character Johnny Five does, out of the blue, suddenly announce to the car passengers "Clean Asshole Poems--Orlovsky," although whether this constitutes a claim of authorship or is merely a reference is far from clear. Later, at a roadside restaurant, Johnny Five seems to be reading--from what looks to me like a manuscript, not a published book--the poem "My Bed Is Covered Yellow" by Orlovsky. That could suggest that he was indeed intended to be taken as some version of Orlovsky.
> >>
> >> On the other hand, Johnny Five does tell Llewyn Davis that he acted for a while, appearing in the early 1960s play "The Brig," but that the police closed the show. I can't find anything that connects Orlovsky to "The Brig," although he did act in several films. I checked out the original cast listing for "The Brig" and Orlovsky wasn't in it.
> >>
> >> So, I'd say that the Johnny Five character probably inhabits the range between Orlovsky himself and some more generic representation of a Beat Era poet. Tangentially, a year before "Inside Llewyn Davis," Garrett Hedlund, who played Johnny Five, had the part of Dean Moriarty in "On the Road."
>
> > Ah... although I've seen that On The Road adaptation, I didn't recognize Garrett Hedlund plaed Dean Moriarty.
>
> > Makes sense that like the fictional folkies in the film he represents a fictional Beat character.......
>
> >> My Bed is Covered Yellow by Peter Orlovsky
> >>
> >> My bed is covered yellow - Oh Sun, I sit on you
> >> Oh golden field I lay on you
> >> Oh money I dream of you
> >> More, More, cried the bed - talk to me more -
> >> Oh bed that taked the weight of the world -
> >> all the lost dreams laid on you
> >> Oh bed that grows no hair, that cannot be fucked
> >> or can be fucked
> >> Oh bed crumbs of all ages spiled on you
> >> Oh yellow bed march to the sun whear yr journey will be done
> >> Oh 50 lbs. of bed that takes 400 more lbs-
> >> how strong you are
> >> Oh bed, only for man & not for animals
> >> yellow bed when will the animals have equal rights?
> >> Oh 4 legged bed off the floor forever built
> >> Oh yellow bed all the news of the world
> >> lay on you at one time or another
> >>
> >> 1957, Paris
> "My Dream with Johnny 5"
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPYOOJ-mgk

Quite cool...

Re: Peter Orlovsky

<dbc28ebdc0763f37f877f41303d349e0@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=227680&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#227680

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 12:47:11 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 12:47 UTC

Faraway Star wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> General-Zod wrote:

>> > Ah... although I've seen that On The Road adaptation, I didn't recognize Garrett Hedlund plaed Dean Moriarty.
>>
>> > Makes sense that like the fictional folkies in the film he represents a fictional Beat character.......

>> "My Dream with Johnny 5"
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPYOOJ-mgk

> Quite cool...

Good morning, agreed.

Re: Peter Orlovsky

<2b6cecf39ad25ef129b2dab7641d51ee@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228327&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228327

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 21:49:43 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 21:49 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 9, 2023 at 4:03:07 PM UTC-4, K. Hematite wrote:
>> On Sunday, 6 August 2023 at 14:18:09 UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>>
>> > K, is that Peter Orlovsky driving across country with John Goodman in the back seat, or is this a generic Beat Generation guy?
>> Afraid that I'm not in any position to provide a definitive answer to that question. The character Johnny Five does, out of the blue, suddenly announce to the car passengers "Clean Asshole Poems--Orlovsky," although whether this constitutes a claim of authorship or is merely a reference is far from clear. Later, at a roadside restaurant, Johnny Five seems to be reading--from what looks to me like a manuscript, not a published book--the poem "My Bed Is Covered Yellow" by Orlovsky. That could suggest that he was indeed intended to be taken as some version of Orlovsky.
>>
>> On the other hand, Johnny Five does tell Llewyn Davis that he acted for a while, appearing in the early 1960s play "The Brig," but that the police closed the show. I can't find anything that connects Orlovsky to "The Brig," although he did act in several films. I checked out the original cast listing for "The Brig" and Orlovsky wasn't in it.
>>
>> So, I'd say that the Johnny Five character probably inhabits the range between Orlovsky himself and some more generic representation of a Beat Era poet. Tangentially, a year before "Inside Llewyn Davis," Garrett Hedlund, who played Johnny Five, had the part of Dean Moriarty in "On the Road."
>>
>> My Bed is Covered Yellow by Peter Orlovsky
>>
>> My bed is covered yellow - Oh Sun, I sit on you
>> Oh golden field I lay on you
>> Oh money I dream of you
>> More, More, cried the bed - talk to me more -
>> Oh bed that taked the weight of the world -
>> all the lost dreams laid on you
>> Oh bed that grows no hair, that cannot be fucked
>> or can be fucked
>> Oh bed crumbs of all ages spiled on you
>> Oh yellow bed march to the sun whear yr journey will be done
>> Oh 50 lbs. of bed that takes 400 more lbs-
>> how strong you are
>> Oh bed, only for man & not for animals
>> yellow bed when will the animals have equal rights?
>> Oh 4 legged bed off the floor forever built
>> Oh yellow bed all the news of the world
>> lay on you at one time or another
>>
>> 1957, Paris

> Thanks, yes, probably a Coen Brothers alternate universe person, as Llewyn Davis himself is.

> (Moved from another thread for continuity)

Again cool

Re: Peter Orlovsky

<4d591a02f1378bd5a4c109c20a49d7af@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=229124&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#229124

From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 02:32:27 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 02:32 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>>> Afraid that I'm not in any position to provide a definitive answer to that question. The character Johnny Five does, out of the blue, suddenly announce to the car passengers "Clean Asshole Poems--Orlovsky," although whether this constitutes a claim of authorship or is merely a reference is far from clear. Later, at a roadside restaurant, Johnny Five seems to be reading--from what looks to me like a manuscript, not a published book--the poem "My Bed Is Covered Yellow" by Orlovsky. That could suggest that he was indeed intended to be taken as some version of Orlovsky.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, Johnny Five does tell Llewyn Davis that he acted for a while, appearing in the early 1960s play "The Brig," but that the police closed the show. I can't find anything that connects Orlovsky to "The Brig," although he did act in several films. I checked out the original cast listing for "The Brig" and Orlovsky wasn't in it.
>>>
>>> So, I'd say that the Johnny Five character probably inhabits the range between Orlovsky himself and some more generic representation of a Beat Era poet. Tangentially, a year before "Inside Llewyn Davis," Garrett Hedlund, who played Johnny Five, had the part of Dean Moriarty in "On the Road."
>>>
>>> My Bed is Covered Yellow by Peter Orlovsky
>>>
>>> My bed is covered yellow - Oh Sun, I sit on you
>>> Oh golden field I lay on you
>>> Oh money I dream of you
>>> More, More, cried the bed - talk to me more -
>>> Oh bed that taked the weight of the world -
>>> all the lost dreams laid on you
>>> Oh bed that grows no hair, that cannot be fucked
>>> or can be fucked
>>> Oh bed crumbs of all ages spiled on you
>>> Oh yellow bed march to the sun whear yr journey will be done
>>> Oh 50 lbs. of bed that takes 400 more lbs-
>>> how strong you are
>>> Oh bed, only for man & not for animals
>>> yellow bed when will the animals have equal rights?
>>> Oh 4 legged bed off the floor forever built
>>> Oh yellow bed all the news of the world
>>> lay on you at one time or another
>>>
>>> 1957, Paris

>> Thanks, yes, probably a Coen Brothers alternate universe person, as Llewyn Davis himself is.

>> (Moved from another thread for continuity)

> Again cool

Good evening my friend.

Re: Peter Orlovsky

<db0e789f93421e60204958dd4e4b3568@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=247270&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247270

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:53:03 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:53 UTC

Faraway Star wrote:

> WillDockery wrote:
>> General-Zod wrote:

>> > Ah... although I've seen that On The Road adaptation, I didn't recognize Garrett Hedlund plaed Dean Moriarty.
>>
>> > Makes sense that like the fictional folkies in the film he represents a fictional Beat character.......

>> "My Dream with Johnny 5"
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPYOOJ-mgk

> Quite cool...

Thanks again for your comments.