"Why should we subsidize intellectual curiosity?" -- Ronald Reagan

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?

SubjectAuthor
* Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?Steve Mc
+* Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?RWC
|`* Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?Steve Mc
| `* Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?RWC
|  `* Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?Steve Mc
|   `- Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?RWC
`* Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?Ken Whiton
 `- Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?Steve Mc

1
Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?

<hMVMJ.19308$3jp8.3308@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=22805&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#22805

From: stevemc...@sbcglobal.net (Steve Mc)
Subject: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:48:13 -0800
 by: Steve Mc - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 20:48 UTC

When the nominees are posted, I copy the links to an Excel file.

Clicking on them from that Excel file, they would open.

However, starting yesterday, when I click on the link from that Excel
file, I get a page indicating:

Your Browser is up to date
You can use Youtubes's latest features
Mozilla Firefox Google Chrome Microsoft Edge Opera
Browse YouTube

The URL for that page is:

https://www.youtube.com/supported_browsers?next_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DuaJ59nHPMbM

Something obviously has changed. I do use Google Chrome.

How can I eliminate this stupid page and have the song links open directly ?

They do open directly when I click on them from Bruce's post.

Thanks,

--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?

<mu8f0hdt1aruc9upcki7letv2moni32cv7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=22935&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#22935

From: letsr...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 07:19:52 -0500
 by: RWC - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 12:19 UTC

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:48:13 -0800, Steve Mc <stevemc209@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>When the nominees are posted, I copy the links to an Excel file.
>
>Clicking on them from that Excel file, they would open.
>
>However, starting yesterday, when I click on the link from that Excel
>file, I get a page indicating: ...

Perhaps you've solved your problem by now, Steve.

If you use =HYPERLINK(text cell address) to convert the pasted text to a
hyperlink in another Excel cell, the hyperlink should work?

Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?

<o3QNJ.37527$Tr18.7802@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=22943&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#22943

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: stevemc...@sbcglobal.net (Steve Mc)
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 07:08:03 -0800
 by: Steve Mc - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 15:08 UTC

On 2/12/2022 4:19 AM, RWC wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:48:13 -0800, Steve Mc <stevemc209@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>

>> When the nominees are posted, I copy the links to an Excel file.
>>
>> Clicking on them from that Excel file, they would open.
>>
>> However, starting yesterday, when I click on the link from that Excel
>> file, I get a page indicating: ...
>>
> Perhaps you've solved your problem by now, Steve.
>
> If you use =HYPERLINK(text cell address) to convert the pasted text to a
> hyperlink in another Excel cell, the hyperlink should work?

Nope, not solved.

And I did try =hyperlink, but that doesn't fix the problem either.

Perhaps if I email you the file, you could figure it out.

--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?

<lc8g0h54gqr0qdp63jn30laubs08ec24ek@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=22962&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#22962

From: letsr...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 16:27:32 -0500
 by: RWC - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 21:27 UTC

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 07:08:03 -0800, Steve Mc <stevemc209@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Nope, not solved.
>
>And I did try =hyperlink, but that doesn't fix the problem either.
>
>Perhaps if I email you the file, you could figure it out.

You can post to that gmail account of mine if you like.

>They do open directly when I click on them from Bruce's post.

Nevertheless, Steve, I'd be tempted to change the default browser that
opens, when you click on the link in Excel, to confirm that the problem
lies with your Excel file.
Another step to confirm - you could paste to Wordpad, which keeps pasted
hyperlinks (urls) as is.

Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?

<YJVNJ.12080$Mpg8.7087@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=22963&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#22963

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: stevemc...@sbcglobal.net (Steve Mc)
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 13:34:47 -0800
 by: Steve Mc - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 21:34 UTC

On 2/12/2022 1:27 PM, RWC wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 07:08:03 -0800, Steve Mc <stevemc209@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Nope, not solved.
>>
>> And I did try =hyperlink, but that doesn't fix the problem either.
>>
>> Perhaps if I email you the file, you could figure it out.
>
> You can post to that gmail account of mine if you like.
>
>> They do open directly when I click on them from Bruce's post.
>
> Nevertheless, Steve, I'd be tempted to change the default browser that
> opens, when you click on the link in Excel, to confirm that the problem
> lies with your Excel file.
> Another step to confirm - you could paste to Wordpad, which keeps pasted
> hyperlinks (urls) as is.

Email me from your gmail account then.

Thanks,

--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?

<aoig0hd28atbodm6rr3s2vhckh6b17dcpl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=22964&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#22964

From: letsr...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 19:05:28 -0500
 by: RWC - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 00:05 UTC

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 13:34:47 -0800, Steve Mc <stevemc209@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Email me from your gmail account then.
>
>Thanks,

Just done that.

Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?

<qPidnUoe6KB1o73_nZ2dnUU7-RPNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=23400&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#23400

Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 23:07:06 -0500
From: kenwhi...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (Ken Whiton)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Ken Whiton - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 04:07 UTC

*-* On Wed, 9 Feb 2022, at 12:48:13 -0800,
*-* In Article <hMVMJ.19308$3jp8.3308@fx33.iad>,
*-* Steve Mc wrote
*-* About Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but I was in the
hospital for 12 days.

> When the nominees are posted, I copy the links to an Excel file.

> Clicking on them from that Excel file, they would open.

> However, starting yesterday, when I click on the link from that
> Excel file, I get a page indicating:

> Your Browser is up to date
> You can use Youtubes's latest features
> Mozilla Firefox Google Chrome Microsoft Edge Opera
> Browse YouTube

> The URL for that page is:

> https://www.youtube.com/supported_browsers?next_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DuaJ59nHPMbM

> Something obviously has changed. I do use Google Chrome.

> How can I eliminate this stupid page and have the song links open
> directly ?

> They do open directly when I click on them from Bruce's post.

I've never used Excel and I know nothing about it, so I doubt
that I could have been much, if any, help to you. When I first read
your post I thought that Geoff would be the one here most likely to be
able to help you, so I'm glad to see that he has stepped in.

> Thanks,

You're welcome.

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152

Re: Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?

<q%XTJ.70139$m1S7.28802@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=23406&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#23406

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: stevemc...@sbcglobal.net (Steve Mc)
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 21:04:21 -0800
 by: Steve Mc - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 05:04 UTC

On 3/2/2022 8:07 PM, Ken Whiton wrote:
> *-* On Wed, 9 Feb 2022, at 12:48:13 -0800,
> *-* In Article <hMVMJ.19308$3jp8.3308@fx33.iad>,
> *-* Steve Mc wrote
> *-* About Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?
>
> I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but I was in the
> hospital for 12 days.
>
>> When the nominees are posted, I copy the links to an Excel file.
>
>> Clicking on them from that Excel file, they would open.
>
>> However, starting yesterday, when I click on the link from that
>> Excel file, I get a page indicating:
>
>> Your Browser is up to date
>> You can use Youtubes's latest features
>> Mozilla Firefox Google Chrome Microsoft Edge Opera
>> Browse YouTube
>
>> The URL for that page is:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/supported_browsers?next_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DuaJ59nHPMbM
>
>> Something obviously has changed. I do use Google Chrome.
>
>> How can I eliminate this stupid page and have the song links open
>> directly ?
>
>> They do open directly when I click on them from Bruce's post.
>
> I've never used Excel and I know nothing about it, so I doubt
> that I could have been much, if any, help to you. When I first read
> your post I thought that Geoff would be the one here most likely to be
> able to help you, so I'm glad to see that he has stepped in.
>
>> Thanks,
>
> You're welcome.
>
> Ken Whiton

No worries. It's a YouTube problem, and hopefully they're aware of the
problem.

But more importantly, how are you ? I hope OK.

--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / Help with YouTube links - Maybe Ken ?