Do not believe in miracles -- rely on them.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Recovery / John Berryman

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Recovery / John BerrymanFaraway Star
`* Re: Recovery / John BerrymanW.Dockery
 `* Re: Recovery / John BerrymanFaraway Star
  `* Re: Recovery / John BerrymanW.Dockery
   `* Re: Recovery / John BerrymanGeneral-Zod
    `* Re: Recovery / John BerrymanW.Dockery
     `* Re: Recovery / John BerrymanGeneral-Zod
      `- Re: Recovery / John BerrymanW.Dockery

1
Re: Recovery / John Berryman

<29c8e6eb-e542-45f4-aaac-8f3f16218a9dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=234659&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#234659

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 08:45:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Recovery / John Berryman
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 15:45 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> What a find, it turns out. I came across a nice hardcover copy of a John Berryman book I'd never seen or heard of, "Recovery", at the local used book store a week or so ago, for just a couple of bucks.
>
> I was only aware of John Berryman's poetry, thanks to Rick Howe's comparisons of my poetry with his in a review back in the 1980s... and the Dream Songs poetry. So this was obscure to me, but turns out "Recovery" is obscure, and rare, all around.
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/underrated-tremendous-delirium-the-case-for-berrymans-recovery-1401026.html
>
> "There is a glum irony to the fact that John Berryman's novel Recovery (1973)... Recovery is a fragment, it is a dazzling fragment, every bit as rich and macaberesquely comic as anything in Berryman's better known poems. While its structure is simple - in therapy, its autobiographical hero is remorselessly stripped of the delusions which foster his drinking - its pages teem with asides on everything from immunology to Courbet, from Plato's letters to the wisdom of Polonius's homilies..."
>
> "...It was no more than a glimpse: on the morning of 7 January 1972, Berryman threw himself from a bridge over the Mississippi. His legacy was some of the greatest poetry of the post-War period (still in print), some fine literary essays (out of print) and Recovery, a lost, glorious ruin of a novel worth more than any number of glibly polished fictions."
>
> And a great, though slightly harrowing, read.

Mayhaps G.D. can excerpt from this volume..?

PING... George Dance....

Re: Recovery / John Berryman

<a68b9229c47dc7076a1b3e4f3c32f807@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=235213&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#235213

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:07:59 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:07 UTC

Faraway Star wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>>
>> What a find, it turns out. I came across a nice hardcover copy of a John Berryman book I'd never seen or heard of, "Recovery", at the local used book store a week or so ago, for just a couple of bucks.
>>
>> I was only aware of John Berryman's poetry, thanks to Rick Howe's comparisons of my poetry with his in a review back in the 1980s... and the Dream Songs poetry. So this was obscure to me, but turns out "Recovery" is obscure, and rare, all around.
>>
>> http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/underrated-tremendous-delirium-the-case-for-berrymans-recovery-1401026.html
>>
>> "There is a glum irony to the fact that John Berryman's novel Recovery (1973)... Recovery is a fragment, it is a dazzling fragment, every bit as rich and macaberesquely comic as anything in Berryman's better known poems. While its structure is simple - in therapy, its autobiographical hero is remorselessly stripped of the delusions which foster his drinking - its pages teem with asides on everything from immunology to Courbet, from Plato's letters to the wisdom of Polonius's homilies..."
>>
>> "...It was no more than a glimpse: on the morning of 7 January 1972, Berryman threw himself from a bridge over the Mississippi. His legacy was some of the greatest poetry of the post-War period (still in print), some fine literary essays (out of print) and Recovery, a lost, glorious ruin of a novel worth more than any number of glibly polished fictions."
>>
>> And a great, though slightly harrowing, read.

> Mayhaps G.D. can excerpt from this volume..?

> PING... George Dance....

Good idea, I'll have a look.

;)

Re: Recovery / John Berryman

<43d05336-976b-4859-a0e7-06780716b9ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=241561&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#241561

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 19:02:43 -0800 (PST)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 03:02 UTC

On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 4:10:15 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> Faraway Star wrote:
>
> > Will Dockery wrote:
> >>
> >> What a find, it turns out. I came across a nice hardcover copy of a John Berryman book I'd never seen or heard of, "Recovery", at the local used book store a week or so ago, for just a couple of bucks.
> >>
> >> I was only aware of John Berryman's poetry, thanks to Rick Howe's comparisons of my poetry with his in a review back in the 1980s... and the Dream Songs poetry. So this was obscure to me, but turns out "Recovery" is obscure, and rare, all around.
> >>
> >> http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/underrated-tremendous-delirium-the-case-for-berrymans-recovery-1401026.html
> >>
> >> "There is a glum irony to the fact that John Berryman's novel Recovery (1973)... Recovery is a fragment, it is a dazzling fragment, every bit as rich and macaberesquely comic as anything in Berryman's better known poems. While its structure is simple - in therapy, its autobiographical hero is remorselessly stripped of the delusions which foster his drinking - its pages teem with asides on everything from immunology to Courbet, from Plato's letters to the wisdom of Polonius's homilies..."
> >>
> >> "...It was no more than a glimpse: on the morning of 7 January 1972, Berryman threw himself from a bridge over the Mississippi. His legacy was some of the greatest poetry of the post-War period (still in print), some fine literary essays (out of print) and Recovery, a lost, glorious ruin of a novel worth more than any number of glibly polished fictions."
> >>
> >> And a great, though slightly harrowing, read.
>
> > Mayhaps G.D. can excerpt from this volume..?
>
> > PING... George Dance....
> Good idea, I'll have a look.

Find anything.....?

Re: Recovery / John Berryman

<edb275dc9bad089e6c998c9b590efb5d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=241985&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#241985

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:53:29 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:53 UTC

Faraway Star wrote:

> On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 4:10:15 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
>> Faraway Star wrote:

>> > Mayhaps G.D. can excerpt from this volume..?
>>
>> > PING... George Dance....
>> Good idea, I'll have a look.

> Find anything.....?

Not yet, haven't had time to look.

🙂

Re: Recovery / John Berryman

<2a0975fb4af039f9b2d8f82b6e646f53@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=242437&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#242437

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:19:27 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:19 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Faraway Star wrote:

>>> Good idea, I'll have a look.

>> Find anything.....?

> Not yet, haven't had time to look.

Right on I know what meaning of that is...

Re: Recovery / John Berryman

<2feb72491cda8a26e6f1fb4a9cd42c44@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=242809&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#242809

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 04:11:44 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 04:11 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> Faraway Star wrote:

>>> Find anything.....?

>> Not yet, haven't had time to look.

> Right on I know what meaning of that is...

Good evening my friend, hope you and Mike are having a great Friday night so far.

🙂

Re: Recovery / John Berryman

<0a32eff425b9a321df4f49dd1b8c4d15@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=244111&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#244111

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 20:19:30 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 20:19 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Faraway Star wrote:

>>> Not yet, haven't had time to look.

>> Right on I know what meaning of that is...

> Good evening my friend, hope you and Mike are having a great Friday night so far.

> 🙂

Yo....

Good day...

And God bless....!

Re: Recovery / John Berryman

<c36aaf9eadd94cb91e34a44398b7d9bf@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246845&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246845

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 05:36:43 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <a1187a35-b264-40dc-a78e-4ae3eb70b288@googlegroups.com> <29c8e6eb-e542-45f4-aaac-8f3f16218a9dn@googlegroups.com> <a68b9229c47dc7076a1b3e4f3c32f807@news.novabbs.com> <43d05336-976b-4859-a0e7-06780716b9ben@googlegroups.com> <edb275dc9bad089e6c998c9b590efb5d@news.novabbs.com> <2a0975fb4af039f9b2d8f82b6e646f53@news.novabbs.com> <2feb72491cda8a26e6f1fb4a9cd42c44@news.novabbs.com> <0a32eff425b9a321df4f49dd1b8c4d15@news.novabbs.com>
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 05:36 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> Faraway Star wrote:

>>> Right on I know what meaning of that is...

>> Good evening my friend, hope you and Mike are having a great Friday night so far.

> Yo....

> Good day...

> And God bless....!

Likewise my friend.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Recovery / John Berryman