From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re: Picard is getting silly
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 15:19:21 +1200
 by: Your Name - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 03:19 UTC

On 2022-04-04 21:53:11 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
> On 4/3/2022 1:21 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> In article <030420221438069795%nope@noway.com>,
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <673022677.670644667.463732.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,

> It's set in an alternate Star Trek timeline.

>>> Not that they're paying attention, but Star Trek history is quite
>>> different from ours. For instance, we didn't have World War III -- at
>>> least, not yet. Of course, Voyager completely ignored WW3 when the
>>> ship went back in time to meet Sarah Silverman.
>
> Voyager didn't ignore it. There was a blink and you miss it reference.
>

>> I know people have already commented on the Guinan weirdness, where she
>> doesn't remember Picard even though she'd already met him in the 1800s
>> with Mark Twain, but if they're going to retcon her into not knowing
>> Picard in 2024, why would she be operating a bar at 10 Forward Street?
>
> I complained bitterly about Guinan not remembering Picard from the
> 1880s. But someone else pointed out that in the new timeline there
> wouldn't have been an Enterprise D captained by Picard to go back in
> time and meet her.
>

>> Even if she *did* remember Picard from the 1800s, she still wouldn't
>> know about the Enterprise-D and its 10-Forward lounge until the 23rd
>> Century, so we're just supposed to think her Los Angeles dive bar was a
>> tremendous coincidence or something?
>
> I rolled my eyes at that too. But it's easy enough to fanwank. She
> named the bar on the Enterprise after her bar on Earth.

A quick Google search turns up mostly Star Trek references, but there
are also a few other real-life places using that name, including a
"performing arts venue and bar" in Massachusetts.

> It might very well be coincidentally on the 10th deck, but if her bar
> wasn't there no one would call it 10 forward.

Re: Picard is getting silly

<XnsAE6FDEFB659E9taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2385&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2385

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 04:55:13 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 04:55 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in

> On 2022-04-04 21:53:11 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
>> On 4/3/2022 1:21 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>> It's set in an alternate Star Trek timeline.

>> Voyager didn't ignore it. There was a blink and you miss it
>> reference.
>>

>>> I know people have already commented on the Guinan weirdness,
>>> where she doesn't remember Picard even though she'd already
>>> met him in the 1800s with Mark Twain, but if they're going to
>>> retcon her into not knowing Picard in 2024, why would she be
>>> operating a bar at 10 Forward Street?
>>
>> I complained bitterly about Guinan not remembering Picard from
>> the 1880s. But someone else pointed out that in the new
>> timeline there wouldn't have been an Enterprise D captained by
>> Picard to go back in time and meet her.
>>

>>> Even if she *did* remember Picard from the 1800s, she still
>>> wouldn't know about the Enterprise-D and its 10-Forward lounge
>>> until the 23rd Century, so we're just supposed to think her
>>> Los Angeles dive bar was a tremendous coincidence or
>>> something?
>>
>> I rolled my eyes at that too. But it's easy enough to fanwank.
>> She named the bar on the Enterprise after her bar on Earth.
>
> A quick Google search turns up mostly Star Trek references, but
> there are also a few other real-life places using that name,
> including a "performing arts venue and bar" in Massachusetts.

Are there any that aren't clearly based on the show?

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: Picard is getting silly

<t2gnk9$v1e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2386&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2386

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 18:29:29 +1200
 by: Your Name - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 06:29 UTC

On 2022-04-05 04:55:13 +0000, Ninapenda Jibini said:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in

>>> It's set in an alternate Star Trek timeline.

>>> Voyager didn't ignore it. There was a blink and you miss it
>>> reference.

>>> I complained bitterly about Guinan not remembering Picard from
>>> the 1880s. But someone else pointed out that in the new
>>> timeline there wouldn't have been an Enterprise D captained by
>>> Picard to go back in time and meet her.

>>> I rolled my eyes at that too. But it's easy enough to fanwank.
>>> She named the bar on the Enterprise after her bar on Earth.
>>
>> A quick Google search turns up mostly Star Trek references, but
>> there are also a few other real-life places using that name,
>> including a "performing arts venue and bar" in Massachusetts.
>
> Are there any that aren't clearly based on the show?

Without visiting them all and them all having a "why we called it this"
page (or emailing/phoning them to ask), there's no way to know. One is
an after-school centre, so may well be for kids 10 years and old, hence
"TenForward".

Re: Picard is getting silly

<XnsAE70580D4EEDFtaustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2387&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2387

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 08:39:21 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 15:39 UTC

> On 2022-04-05 04:55:13 +0000, Ninapenda Jibini said:
>> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in

>>> A quick Google search turns up mostly Star Trek references,
>>> but there are also a few other real-life places using that
>>> name, including a "performing arts venue and bar" in
>>> Massachusetts.
>>
>> Are there any that aren't clearly based on the show?
>
> Without visiting them all and them all having a "why we called
> it this" page (or emailing/phoning them to ask), there's no way
> to know. One is an after-school centre, so may well be for kids
> 10 years and old, hence "TenForward".

I'll bet they were still inspired by the show.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland: