From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Picard is getting silly
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:10:19 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 15:10 UTC

On 4/7/2022 4:55 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> taustinca@gmail.com wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Actually all the radiation would be why they would want to do
>>> two landings. Get the most out of the ship before its
>>> electronics become fried beyond operability.
>>
>> Galileo orbited Jupiter for seven years. It was still functional
>> enough at the end of that time to deliberately de-orbit into
>> Jupiter. And that was nearly 30 years ago.
>
> Wasn't the Galileo orbitting far enough from Jupiter to make radiation
> not a problem? I remember it was an issue for Casini, but it was making
> close orbits to Jupiter.

Cassini was exploring Saturn.

dirty old man.

Re: Picard is getting silly

<t2pjh3$lve$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2394&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2394

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 08:14:42 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:14 UTC

On 4/8/2022 4:43 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> In article <t2musq$4sg$3@dont-email.me>, dtravel@sonic.net wrote:

>>> Wasn't the Galileo orbitting far enough from Jupiter to make radiation
>>> not a problem? I remember it was an issue for Casini, but it was making
>>> close orbits to Jupiter.
>>
>> Cassini was exploring Saturn.
>
> Dooh! I meant Juno.

""Juno is basically an armored tank going to Jupiter," said Scott
Bolton, Juno's principal investigator, based at Southwest Research
Institute in San Antonio. "Without its protective shield, or radiation
vault, Juno's brain would get fried on the very first pass near Jupiter.""

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/news/juno20100712.html

dirty old man.