When speculation has done its worst, two plus two still equals four. -- S. Johnson

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: To what shall I compare you

SubjectAuthor
* To what shall I compare youIlya Shambat
`- Re: To what shall I compare youMichael Pendragon

1
To what shall I compare you

<a3d7061f-616c-4683-b25c-c536d7ed762en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=240303&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#240303

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 18:05:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: To what shall I compare you
From: ibsham...@gmail.com (Ilya Shambat)
 by: Ilya Shambat - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 02:05 UTC

To what shall I compare you, my sweet love?
How, having known you, can I face the crowd?
You take my heart out with a velvet glove
And then establish it inside a cloud.

Your precious beauty and your tender heart,
The incandescent passion of your spirit -
However many miles we be apart,
You bring me to adore and to revere it.

Your elegance of motion and of dress,
Your gentle smile and your infectious laughter,
Your fierce resolve and will that seeks no less
Than knowing and attaining Hereafter -

The eyes that, like volcanic crater lakes,
Reflect the sky toward which you are so close -
That for the truth's and for the beauty's sakes
Dissolve the elements that from the earth arose -

Your playful, delicate and resurrecting mind
That weaves the pain and knowledge into sweetness -
The thoughts and feelings that are intertwined
And from their synthesis creates completeness -

Your intuition, powerful and true,
And genius producing divine splendor -
Not only do I say that I love you,
But to what made you, darling, I surrender -

However I compare you, my delight,
You're always something more and something greater,
And like a mountain climber in the night
I cannot see and fall into your crater.

https://sites.google.com/view/ilyashambatpoetry

Re: To what shall I compare you

<f4669d97-d7ff-47eb-beee-28427b23fd85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=240313&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#240313

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 20:01:44 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: To what shall I compare you
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 04:01 UTC

On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 9:05:14 PM UTC-5, Ilya Shambat wrote:
> To what shall I compare you, my sweet love?
> How, having known you, can I face the crowd?
> You take my heart out with a velvet glove
> And then establish it inside a cloud.
>
> Your precious beauty and your tender heart,
> The incandescent passion of your spirit -
> However many miles we be apart,
> You bring me to adore and to revere it.
>
> Your elegance of motion and of dress,
> Your gentle smile and your infectious laughter,
> Your fierce resolve and will that seeks no less
> Than knowing and attaining Hereafter -
>
> The eyes that, like volcanic crater lakes,
> Reflect the sky toward which you are so close -
> That for the truth's and for the beauty's sakes
> Dissolve the elements that from the earth arose -
>
> Your playful, delicate and resurrecting mind
> That weaves the pain and knowledge into sweetness -
> The thoughts and feelings that are intertwined
> And from their synthesis creates completeness -
>
> Your intuition, powerful and true,
> And genius producing divine splendor -
> Not only do I say that I love you,
> But to what made you, darling, I surrender -
>
> However I compare you, my delight,
> You're always something more and something greater,
> And like a mountain climber in the night
> I cannot see and fall into your crater.
>
> https://sites.google.com/view/ilyashambatpoetry

LOL! The Crater Poem! This one's always good for a laugh.

Trust me, dude. You'd get a lot farther just sticking with the Summer's day.

Michael Pendragon
"I regard Romeo and Juliet to not just be a play about romantic love, but rather a metaphor for Europe's transformation from feudalism to civilization.. Through the lovers' sacrifice the families realize the pointlessness of their feud and come together to work on building a civilization."
-- Ilya Shambat