From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Nigerian author denied entry to US
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 06:22:36 -0400
 by: Gary McGath - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 10:22 UTC

Nigerian author and editor Oghenchovwe Donald Ekpeki (which I just
spelled correctly without resorting to copy-and-paste!) has won a
Nebula, was nominated for two Hugos this year, had a full schedule for
Chicon, and had raised over $7,000 for his trip by crowdfunding.
Unfortunately, he won't be in the US for any of that, as the US embassy
denied his visa application.

According to his account, his interview at the embassy lasted less than
a minute before he was turned down. The letter he received, addressed to
"Dear Applicant," said that "you were not able to demonstrate that your
intended activities in the United States would be consistent with the
classification of the nonimmigrant visa for which you applied." More
specifically, "You have not demonstrated that you have the ties that
will compel you to return to your home country after your travel to the
United States."

https://file770.com/us-embassy-in-nigeria-denies-oghenechovwe-donald-ekpeki-visa-application-wont-get-to-attend-worldcon/

In other words, the embassy officials were afraid that this noteworthy
author might stay in the United States. The anti-immigrant crowd must be
glad our government is so vigilant against such threats.
--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Nigerian author denied entry to US

<tem0ru$1ir51$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2410&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#2410

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Nigerian author denied entry to US
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:53:02 -0400
 by: Gary McGath - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 21:53 UTC

On 8/20/22 6:22 AM, Gary McGath wrote:
> Nigerian author and editor Oghenchovwe Donald Ekpeki (which I just
> spelled correctly without resorting to copy-and-paste!) has won a
> Nebula, was nominated for two Hugos this year, had a full schedule for
> Chicon, and had raised over $7,000 for his trip by crowdfunding.
> Unfortunately, he won't be in the US for any of that, as the US embassy
> denied his visa application.

Update: He got his visa and will be attending Chicon!

https://locusmag.com/2022/08/ekpeki-will-attend-worldcon/

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com