From: kfl...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: I'm at the Worldcon
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 01:35:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 01:35 UTC

Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> Is there still such a thing as at-sign parties?

Probably not. But I miss them.

> Is there anyone at the con who doesn't have an email address?

People are more diverse in nearly every way that most people realize,
so I'd be astonished if there is not one person here who doesn't have
an email address. Especially if you count people who technically have
one, but aren't aware of it and never check it. Lots of younger people
send and receive texts and tweets, but never emails. And lots of not-
so-young people gave up on email years ago when it exceeded 99% spam,
malware, blowback, immense gibberish attachments, and other junk.

Setup is pretty much finished, the con suite closed for the night at
8 pm (!), and there are no room parties and nothing going on. The con
doesn't officially start until tomorrow, but I think there ought to be
something to do and someplace to be for those of us who showed up a
day early to help move in and set up.

Around sunset I went to the Apple Store a short walk from the hotel in
search of a replacement MagSafe charger for my 12-year-old MacBook.
Not a MagSafe 2 charger, like the one the MicroCenter near my home
sold me last week, but a MagSafe charger. It was expensive, but I
found and bought one, even though the store is much smaller than it
looks in Google Street View. It's about the same size as the Apple
Store at Tysons that I can walk to from home in about an hour. By
going to Chicago, I saved myself a trip to the Tysons mall.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/