Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 15:11:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: 10 worst movie ever
From: jdchase...@gmail.com (Jordy C)
 by: Jordy C - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 23:11 UTC

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 3:38:08 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> [...]
>
> I usually watch any DVD twice... not so with The Magus!
>
> It was just plain terrible... I hate to say! Anna Karina is a great actress, as are Caine, Quinn and Bergan. But the story is a jumbled mess of boredom!
>
> The only good scene was at the end when the Nazis showed up and shot everybody! Anthony Quinn was a Greek guy who helped the Nazis, because if he didn't they would kill his entire village. They killed a couple hundred to let him know they were serious!
>
> And then the movie just ended! Made Star Trek: The Motionless Picture seems action packed!
>
> It was in the last 5 minutes! I looked up and saw Nazis talking to Quinn.... then they shot a bunch of his townspeople... and he's saying, and so that's why I had to help the Nazis.
>
> Then... The End.
>
> > Not terribly helpful, but Peter Sellers was once asked if he had his
> > life to live over again, would he do anything differently. He said he
> > would have done everything exactly the same, except that he wouldn't
> > have seen The Magus.
>
> I read the same thing about The Magus, except that Woody Allen is supposed to have said it. Woody Allen is to have said, "If I could live my life over again, I would do everything the same except for seeing 'The Magus'..."
>
> It is the most punishing film I have ever seen, hands down. "How NOT to make a movie..."
>
> I just read that the novel has 78 chapters, one for each Tarot card.
> So the movie may also have 78 scenes like that... so I reckon it is just some /really/ deep symbolism and stuff happening that you have to pay close attention to, or in my case force myself to...
>
> I play movies and type as it goes... usually I can follow a story, good, I have to stop typing and watch with a coffee, maybe Google the movie for info...
> Bad movies I can usually still follow the story and stare at the badness.... but The Magus...
>
> The Magus was so bad I could only remember to look up every now and then. It starts with Michael Caine & Anthony Quinn talking, out in the country.
> 20 minutes later I look up and see they are still walking around, talking about something.
>
> At one point there was Michael Caine walking around talking to a blonde, Candace Bergan. They talk 5-10 minutes that I know of.
>
> Then Anthony Quinn is back wearing new duds and different hat, Caine is dressed the same, in brown khakis and his horn rimmed glasses. They talk about 30 minutes, I think I see Anna Karina looking kind of like Mia (a local raven haired rock-n-roller beauty) for 2-3 minutes.
> Then the Nazis show up and shoot a bunch of people. Quinn says that's why he had to work for the Nazis, because they said they would shoot more if he didn't. Then the movie just ends.
>
> I hate it, but I have to agree with Woody.

Agree about the movie version of “The Magus”, but the novel was a masterpiece, Imo…

Re: 10 worst movie ever

<7017ff650ff5916ea5edd61b7fe52310@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246644&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246644

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 04:06:59 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 04:06 UTC

Jordy C wrote:

> [...]
>> 20 minutes later I look up and see they are still walking around, talking about something.
>>
>> At one point there was Michael Caine walking around talking to a blonde, Candace Bergan. They talk 5-10 minutes that I know of.
>>
>> Then Anthony Quinn is back wearing new duds and different hat, Caine is dressed the same, in brown khakis and his horn rimmed glasses. They talk about 30 minutes, I think I see Anna Karina looking kind of like Mia (a local raven haired rock-n-roller beauty) for 2-3 minutes.
>> Then the Nazis show up and shoot a bunch of people. Quinn says that's why he had to work for the Nazis, because they said they would shoot more if he didn't. Then the movie just ends.
>>
>> I hate it, but I have to agree with Woody.

> Agree about the movie version of “The Magus”, but the novel was a masterpiece, Imo…

I'll try watching The Magus again one day soon, person with age ill understand if better.