You look tired.

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

SubjectAuthor
* Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
+* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|+* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeRJKe...@yahoo.com
||+- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
||`- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
|`* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
| `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|  +- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
|  `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
|   +* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|   |`* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
|   | `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|   |  `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
|   |   +* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|   |   |`- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
|   |   `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|   |    `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|   |     `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
|   |      `- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|   `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|    `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
|     `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|      `- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
+* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeP-Dub
|`- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
+* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBlueshirt
|`* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
| `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|  +* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
|  |`- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|  `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
|   `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|    `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
|     `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|      +* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
|      |`* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|      | +- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|      | +* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
|      | |+* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|      | ||`* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
|      | || `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
|      | ||  `- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
|      | |`- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
|      | `- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBlueshirt
|      `- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
+* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimePoisoned Rose
|`* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
| `- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
+- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
+* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
|`* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
| +* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
| |`* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
| | `- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
| `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
|  `- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
`* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
 `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
  +* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
  |`* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
  | `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
  |  `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
  |   `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
  |    +* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
  |    |`- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeNorbert K
  |    `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
  |     `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
  |      `- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
  `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff
   `* Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 TimeBruce
    `- Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Timegeoff

Pages:123
Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<43f9d90c-72c1-4a64-84ed-6f72d3df190dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2460&group=rec.music.beatles#2460

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 12:09:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 20:09 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 1:18:05 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:57:45 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> >
> > Both songs feature a great bass player named Chuck Rainey. (I'll bet Bruce approves of him, albeit for a reason other than his fine & funky bass playing.)
> Read my prior post, the color of his skin is not what I am talking about. It's the style of the music and whether or not it's popular in the black community. If you like funky bass playing, you should be listening to Graham Central Station and Funkadelic instead of Steely Fucking Dan and King Fucking Crimson.
>
> The Billboard Race/R&B/Soul/Black chart has never been about the sound of the music. It has ALWAYS Been about which records are popular in the black community. THAT'S what I am railing about. Not the color of the skin of the musicians, but the fact that most white people vastly prefer white sounding music to what is popular in the back community.
>
> Why is that?
>
> If race has nothing to do with music as you claim,

I did not say that. What I said is that the race of a performer has nothing to do with my liking or disliking his work. E.g., the first time I heard Cat Stevens' "Trouble" I assumed it was by an older black guy. Turned out it was by a Greek-Brit -- and this had no effect at all on my attitude towards the song.

why is there such a vast difference in the sound of the music that most whites listen to as opposed to the sound of the music that most blacks listen to?

> Why did the Beatles never place a single on the black charts?
>
> The Bee Gees had several big hits in the black community, and the Stones even had a few. But nothing ever from the biggest overall act ever.

The Bee Gees and the Stones. Talk about fetid white bands.

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<ed96df06-a136-48ce-a45b-97d494e093f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2461&group=rec.music.beatles#2461

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 12:41:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 20:41 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 3:09:58 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 1:18:05 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> > On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:57:45 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> > >
> > > Both songs feature a great bass player named Chuck Rainey. (I'll bet Bruce approves of him, albeit for a reason other than his fine & funky bass playing.)
> > Read my prior post, the color of his skin is not what I am talking about. It's the style of the music and whether or not it's popular in the black community. If you like funky bass playing, you should be listening to Graham Central Station and Funkadelic instead of Steely Fucking Dan and King Fucking Crimson.
> >
> > The Billboard Race/R&B/Soul/Black chart has never been about the sound of the music. It has ALWAYS Been about which records are popular in the black community. THAT'S what I am railing about. Not the color of the skin of the musicians, but the fact that most white people vastly prefer white sounding music to what is popular in the back community.
> >
> > Why is that?
> >
> > If race has nothing to do with music as you claim,
> I did not say that. What I said is that the race of a performer has nothing to do with my liking or disliking his work. E.g., the first time I heard Cat Stevens' "Trouble" I assumed it was by an older black guy. Turned out it was by a Greek-Brit -- and this had no effect at all on my attitude towards the song.
> why is there such a vast difference in the sound of the music that most whites listen to as opposed to the sound of the music that most blacks listen to?
> >
> > Why did the Beatles never place a single on the black charts?
> >
> > The Bee Gees had several big hits in the black community, and the Stones even had a few. But nothing ever from the biggest overall act ever.
> The Bee Gees and the Stones. Talk about fetid white bands.

So, you like King Crimson and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but not the Stones? Must be their strong black music influence that makes you not like them. They certainly weren't doing cornball Broadway show tunes like "Til There Was You." Insisted they were doing hard core
black songs like "I'm A King Bee" and "Walking The Dog."

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<02c9c368-b736-4625-ac67-c78597fd7218n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2463&group=rec.music.beatles#2463

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 13:05:23 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 21:05 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 3:41:04 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 3:09:58 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:

> > > Read my prior post, the color of his skin is not what I am talking about. It's the style of the music and whether or not it's popular in the black community. If you like funky bass playing, you should be listening to Graham Central Station and Funkadelic instead of Steely Fucking Dan and King Fucking Crimson.
> > >
> > > The Billboard Race/R&B/Soul/Black chart has never been about the sound of the music. It has ALWAYS Been about which records are popular in the black community. THAT'S what I am railing about. Not the color of the skin of the musicians, but the fact that most white people vastly prefer white sounding music to what is popular in the back community.
> > >
> > > Why is that?
> > >
> > > If race has nothing to do with music as you claim,
> > I did not say that. What I said is that the race of a performer has nothing to do with my liking or disliking his work. E.g., the first time I heard Cat Stevens' "Trouble" I assumed it was by an older black guy. Turned out it was by a Greek-Brit -- and this had no effect at all on my attitude towards the song.
> > why is there such a vast difference in the sound of the music that most whites listen to as opposed to the sound of the music that most blacks listen to?
> > >
> > > Why did the Beatles never place a single on the black charts?
> > >
> > > The Bee Gees had several big hits in the black community, and the Stones even had a few. But nothing ever from the biggest overall act ever.
> > The Bee Gees and the Stones. Talk about fetid white bands.
> So, you like King Crimson and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but not the Stones? Must be their strong black music influence that makes you not like them.. They certainly weren't doing cornball Broadway show tunes like "Til There Was You." Insisted they were doing hard core
> black songs like "I'm A King Bee" and "Walking The Dog."

I've already told you that my list was of songs that featured bars of 7; it wasn't about bands I like per se.

Coincidentally, I like some of the RHCP albums very much. Their great bassist was very heavily influenced by the likes of Bootsy Collins and Bernard Edwards.

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<f3be6fd5-0d89-40e7-87c2-ea5ce542b44cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2464&group=rec.music.beatles#2464

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 13:35:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 21:35 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 4:05:25 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 3:41:04 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> > > I did not say that. What I said is that the race of a performer has nothing to do with my liking or disliking his work. E.g., the first time I heard Cat Stevens' "Trouble" I assumed it was by an older black guy. Turned out it was by a Greek-Brit -- and this had no effect at all on my attitude towards the song.
> > > why is there such a vast difference in the sound of the music that most whites listen to as opposed to the sound of the music that most blacks listen to?

> > > The Bee Gees and the Stones. Talk about fetid white bands.
> > So, you like King Crimson and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but not the Stones? Must be their strong black music influence that makes you not like them. They certainly weren't doing cornball Broadway show tunes like "Til There Was You." Insisted they were doing hard core
> > black songs like "I'm A King Bee" and "Walking The Dog."
> I've already told you that my list was of songs that featured bars of 7; it wasn't about bands I like per se.
>
> Coincidentally, I like some of the RHCP albums very much. Their great bassist was very heavily influenced by the likes of Bootsy Collins and Bernard Edwards.

What are your favorite recordings by Bootsy and Bernard themselves, rather than white guys who were influenced by them?

Or do you prefer to listen to white guys do their interpretations of black music? You know, cultural appropriation?

Who's your favorite blues artist? Some white guitarist who claims to be a bluesman?

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<sq5ikq$td9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2467&group=rec.music.beatles#2467

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 22:46:49 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 22:46 UTC

On 24/12/2021 01:20, Bruce wrote:
> Coincidence?
>
> Prove me wrong. Give us a list of your favorite black records of the 1980s, for instance.

I suppose I could be *that* person and list a ton of my old LP's that
were black records... but I won't! ;-)

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<r5KdneLALJLxzlv8nZ2dnUU7-YudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2468&group=rec.music.beatles#2468

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 12:10:35 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
<e45b72cf-1d94-4522-a67b-0d3dcac49c73n@googlegroups.com>
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:10 UTC

On 25/12/2021 2:22 am, Norbert K wrote:
> On Thursday, December 23, 2021 at 8:20:06 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 23, 2021 at 7:13:42 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't run around boasting about the *percentage* of "white music" I listen to as though it somehow made me cooler than everyone else.
>> Because listening to mainly white music makes you the opposite of coll. It makes you a follower like most people are. You like what almost every other white guy your age likes.
>>> I like the music I like for its musical attributes; it has *absolutely nothing whatsoever* to do with the ethnic backgrounds of the performers. Race does not factor into what I like. As it shouldn't.
>> So why do you think that the "musical attributes" that you favor most are almost always put forth by white recording artists?
>>
>> Coincidence?
>>
>> Prove me wrong. Give us a list of your favorite black records of the 1980s, for instance.
>
> The theme of this thread is "Songs That Use 7/4 Time." It's pertinent to the group because several Beatles songs utilize time changes and "All You Need Is Love" in particular has some of the time signature specified.
>
> Your wish to derail the thread into a contest to see who listens to the most black music is bizarre; it strikes me as something between extreme silliness and insanity. I propose that you channel your need for such a contest into a new thread -- assuming you can make it pertinent to the Beatles.
>
> Back on topic: Midnight Oil's "Read About It" has a ton of time changes and features 7/4 extensively.
>
> Is it popular? I'm pretty sure I've seen videos for it on television.

Jethros Tull's Eurology alternates between 9/8 and 8/8 ....

geoff

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<r5KdnR3ALJIozlv8nZ2dnUU7-YudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2469&group=rec.music.beatles#2469

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 12:11:48 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
<e45b72cf-1d94-4522-a67b-0d3dcac49c73n@googlegroups.com>
<92e2e587-a80f-4275-ba4a-ae5052a74732n@googlegroups.com>
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:11 UTC

On 25/12/2021 4:21 am, Bruce wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 8:22:25 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
>>
>> Back on topic: Midnight Oil's "Read About It" has a ton of time changes and features 7/4 extensively.
>
> Another shit white band from the 80s.

Presumably the only reason you are only here is because Billy Preston
hung out with 4 white guys for 3 weeks ?

geoff

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<r5KdnRzALJKByVv8nZ2dnUU7-YudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2470&group=rec.music.beatles#2470

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 12:13:31 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:13 UTC

On 25/12/2021 6:29 am, Bruce wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 11:59:36 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
>> On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 at 8:11:21 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
>>> This is off the top of my head, and I hope others will add to my list:
>>>
>>> 1. The Beatles, "All You Need Is Love."
>>>
>>> 2. Pink Floyd, "Money."
>>>
>>> 3. Cat Stevens, "Rubylove."
>>>
>>> 4. Rush, "Tom Sawyer," "Red Barchetta," "Limelight," and dozens of others.
>>>
>>> 5. The Police, "Mother."
>>>
>>> 6. "Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Ethiopia."
>>>
>>> 7. Blondie, "Heart of Glass." Just a few bars of 7 tucked into the, uh, instrumental section. I'm surprised they even attempted it.
>> I came up with three more, albeit two of which are obscure:
>>
>> 1. "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" by Frank Zappa.
>>
>> 2. "The Blimp," credited to Captain Beefheart (I suspect the riff was created by Beefheart's then-producer Frank Zappa).
>>
>> 3. "The Ideal Woman" by Adrian Belew. Belew had been a sideman for Zappa, the Talking Heads, and Laurie Anderson. When he released the album Twang Bar King, he had been the frontman for King Crimson for several years.
>
> So you know obscure white guitar oriented rock records that are 7/4, but can't come up with even one black record that is 7/4.

Back in the day nearly all my albums were black. A few 'picture discs'
and alternative colours in there. But mostly black. And since then they
have been largely silver.

geoff

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<r5KdnR_ALJL4yVv8nZ2dnUU7-YudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2471&group=rec.music.beatles#2471

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 12:14:44 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:14 UTC

On 25/12/2021 7:10 am, Bruce wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:41:38 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
>
>> I named one yesterday.
>
> We're not counting white sounding music that happens to have been made by black guys. THAT would be racist if we just go by the color of the skin of the artist.
>
> When I say "Black Music" I am talking about music in a black style that is popular in the black community, not music by people who happen to be black, like Charley Pride, Clint Homes, and Living Colour. The act can be genetically white, like Teena Marie, Johnny Otis or Eminem.
>
>> Instead of bitching at me because I don't share your racial fetish, why not participate constructively and divulge these black records in 7/4?
>
> I listed a bunch of my favorite black records of the 1980s in this thread. I have no interest in time signatures and wouldn't know 7/4 from 13/4.

Not only racist, but some sort of snobbery involved as well. Sad for you.

geoff

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<-rKdnaFYTNhjy1v8nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2472&group=rec.music.beatles#2472

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 12:25:46 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:25 UTC

On 25/12/2021 7:18 am, Bruce wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:57:45 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
>>
>> Both songs feature a great bass player named Chuck Rainey. (I'll bet Bruce approves of him, albeit for a reason other than his fine & funky bass playing.)
>
> Read my prior post, the color of his skin is not what I am talking about. It's the style of the music and whether or not it's popular in the black community. If you like funky bass playing, you should be listening to Graham Central Station and Funkadelic instead of Steely Fucking Dan and King Fucking Crimson.

And if our tastes are not so narrow why not include those in our wider
range of appreciation ? Bootsie is great, and so is Chuck Rainey - but
Chuck is just a musical whore by your 'standards' I guess.

> The Billboard Race/R&B/Soul/Black chart has never been about the sound of the music. It has ALWAYS Been about which records are popular in the black community. THAT'S what I am railing about. Not the color of the skin of the musicians, but the fact that most white people vastly prefer white sounding music to what is popular in the back community.
>
> Why is that?

I like Rhapsody In Blue ...

> If race has nothing to do with music as you claim, why is there such a vast difference in the sound of the music that most whites listen to as opposed to the sound of the music that most blacks listen to?

Maybe more black people like to dance/jive/etc as their primary
response. I dunno - you are the one claiming this. My preference is to
listen to 'progressive' and album-orientated rock. Want to crucify me or
something ?

> Why did the Beatles never place a single on the black charts?
In my country we don't have racially-segregated charts.

> The Bee Gees had several big hits in the black community, and the Stones even had a few. But nothing ever from the biggest overall act ever.

And ? Why are you here ?

geoff

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<3faaf0ab-fec1-40fa-a1e0-4bed931c1084n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2473&group=rec.music.beatles#2473

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:31:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:31 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 6:11:56 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> On 25/12/2021 4:21 am, Bruce wrote:
> > On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 8:22:25 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> >>
> >> Back on topic: Midnight Oil's "Read About It" has a ton of time changes and features 7/4 extensively.
> >
> > Another shit white band from the 80s.
> Presumably the only reason you are only here is because Billy Preston
> hung out with 4 white guys for 3 weeks ?

No, because I like lots of white stuff too, but most of my favorite acts are black. You saw my 100 favorite artist list that I posted. It's like 2/3 black.

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<c5ee23ce-811e-4d00-815a-6a6c61fa88a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2474&group=rec.music.beatles#2474

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:40:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:40 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 6:25:57 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:

> Maybe more black people like to dance/jive/etc as their primary
> response. I dunno - you are the one claiming this. My preference is to
> listen to 'progressive' and album-orientated rock. Want to crucify me or
> something ?

Haven't you ever wondered why you like what you like?

Why are 99% of the artists who do progressive and album oriented rock white, and why none of even the greatest black artists (Stevie Wonder, Prince, James Brown, Ray Charles, etc..) of that era are not included as part of so called "album oriented rock?"

Stevie Wonder had 3 or 4 of the most popular and acclaimed albums right in the middle of that "album oriented rock" era, yet the radio stations that play that stuff do not even play his records. What makes ELP, Tull, King Crimson, Yes, Elton John, and even James Taylor okay for that radio format, but not "Superstition" or "Living For The City" by Stevie Wonder?

Same thing that made MTV all white for the first few years of their existence. They thought that white people would be "scared to death by Prince." Check this out below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGiVzIr8Qg

David Bowie Criticizes MTV for Not Playing Videos by Black Artists | MTV News

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<cPednTVui97nVFv8nZ2dnUU7-XPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2477&group=rec.music.beatles#2477

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 20:34:14 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 07:34 UTC

On 25/12/2021 12:31 pm, Bruce wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 6:11:56 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:

>>> Another shit white band from the 80s.
>> Presumably the only reason you are only here is because Billy Preston
>> hung out with 4 white guys for 3 weeks ?
>
> No, because I like lots of white stuff too, but most of my favorite acts are black. You saw my 100 favorite artist list that I posted. It's like 2/3 black.

I don't necessarily know or care about the racial origins of the music
that I listen to. I listen to a wide range.

If I like or dislike a certain style of music, or somewhere in between,
why should that be a problem ?

It is a problem to me that you summarily dismiss music styles that you
classify as 'non-black', because that is simply ignorant and nasty.

geoff

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<xr2dnccRL5hDV1v8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2478&group=rec.music.beatles#2478

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 20:40:10 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 07:40 UTC

On 25/12/2021 12:40 pm, Bruce wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 6:25:57 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
>
>> Maybe more black people like to dance/jive/etc as their primary
>> response. I dunno - you are the one claiming this. My preference is to
>> listen to 'progressive' and album-orientated rock. Want to crucify me or
>> something ?
>
> Haven't you ever wondered why you like what you like?
No, why should I ? I'm not the one with racio-muso-neurotic-OCD. I don't
limit my musical appreciate to any one particular genre.

> Why are 99% of the artists who do progressive and album oriented rock white, and why none of even the greatest black artists (Stevie Wonder, Prince, James Brown, Ray Charles, etc..) of that era are not included as part of so called "album oriented rock?"

I don't know, or care. I would disagree about your classification of SW
and Prince though.

> Stevie Wonder had 3 or 4 of the most popular and acclaimed albums right in the middle of that "album oriented rock" era, yet the radio stations that play that stuff do not even play his records. What makes ELP, Tull, King Crimson, Yes, Elton John, and even James Taylor okay for that radio format, but not "Superstition" or "Living For The City" by Stevie Wonder?

Stations that I listen to do indeed play *all* of what you mention.

> Same thing that made MTV all white for the first few years of their existence. They thought that white people would be "scared to death by Prince." Check this out below.

Who gives a fuck about MTV ?!!!

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGiVzIr8Qg
>
> David Bowie Criticizes MTV for Not Playing Videos by Black Artists | MTV News

Ah, the Thin White Duke !

geoff

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<19bc0bca-2de9-4d79-832b-0caca0fba9dbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2479&group=rec.music.beatles#2479

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 02:55:07 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 10:55 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 6:13:39 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> On 25/12/2021 6:29 am, Bruce wrote:

> >> I came up with three more, albeit two of which are obscure:
> >>
> >> 1. "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" by Frank Zappa.
> >>
> >> 2. "The Blimp," credited to Captain Beefheart (I suspect the riff was created by Beefheart's then-producer Frank Zappa).
> >>
> >> 3. "The Ideal Woman" by Adrian Belew. Belew had been a sideman for Zappa, the Talking Heads, and Laurie Anderson. When he released the album Twang Bar King, he had been the frontman for King Crimson for several years.
> >
> > So you know obscure white guitar oriented rock records that are 7/4, but can't come up with even one black record that is 7/4.
> Back in the day nearly all my albums were black. A few 'picture discs'
> and alternative colours in there. But mostly black. And since then they
> have been largely silver.
>
> geoff

Clever!

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<0e8e9eea-f255-4685-9234-d39841de00f1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2480&group=rec.music.beatles#2480

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 03:00:38 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:00 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 4:35:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 4:05:25 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:

> > > So, you like King Crimson and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but not the Stones? Must be their strong black music influence that makes you not like them. They certainly weren't doing cornball Broadway show tunes like "Til There Was You." Insisted they were doing hard core
> > > black songs like "I'm A King Bee" and "Walking The Dog."
> > I've already told you that my list was of songs that featured bars of 7; it wasn't about bands I like per se.
> >
> > Coincidentally, I like some of the RHCP albums very much. Their great bassist was very heavily influenced by the likes of Bootsy Collins and Bernard Edwards.
> What are your favorite recordings by Bootsy and Bernard themselves, rather than white guys who were influenced by them?
>
> Or do you prefer to listen to white guys do their interpretations of black music? You know, cultural appropriation?
>
> Who's your favorite blues artist? Some white guitarist who claims to be a bluesman?

The theme of this thread is "Songs That Use Bars of 7."

Your flaunting of your black fetish isn't pertinent to this thread or this group.

Take your black fixation into a thread of your own. If you can make it pertinent to this group (e.g., "Black Artists Who Influenced the Beatles"), I might participate.

Back on topic: "Frame By Frame" by King Crimson features lots of 7/8.

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<YZKdnSSRUZXFZlv8nZ2dnUU7-R3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2481&group=rec.music.beatles#2481

Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 00:07:00 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:07 UTC

On 26/12/2021 12:00 am, Norbert K wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 4:35:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>>> I've already told you that my list was of songs that featured bars of 7; it wasn't about bands I like per se.
>>>
>>> Coincidentally, I like some of the RHCP albums very much. Their great bassist was very heavily influenced by the likes of Bootsy Collins and Bernard Edwards.
>> What are your favorite recordings by Bootsy and Bernard themselves, rather than white guys who were influenced by them?
>>
>> Or do you prefer to listen to white guys do their interpretations of black music? You know, cultural appropriation?
>>
>> Who's your favorite blues artist? Some white guitarist who claims to be a bluesman?
>
> The theme of this thread is "Songs That Use Bars of 7."
>
> Your flaunting of your black fetish isn't pertinent to this thread or this group.
>
> Take your black fixation into a thread of your own. If you can make it pertinent to this group (e.g., "Black Artists Who Influenced the Beatles"), I might participate.
>
> Back on topic: "Frame By Frame" by King Crimson features lots of 7/8.

And to make it even more Beatle-relevant, Tony Levin played the bass on
Double Fantasy.

But he is also 'white', and has just released a book of his decades'
collection of photos. Some of those are coloured, and others are
black-and-white. He couldn't in all sincerity and true to origins take
'just black' photos, cos he isn't. Though there is no reason why he
couldn't have been.

geoff

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<071d2734-8e44-4af8-8e9d-1beb647cbd50n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2483&group=rec.music.beatles#2483

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 03:16:27 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:16 UTC

On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 6:07:11 AM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> On 26/12/2021 12:00 am, Norbert K wrote:

> >> What are your favorite recordings by Bootsy and Bernard themselves, rather than white guys who were influenced by them?
> >>
> >> Or do you prefer to listen to white guys do their interpretations of black music? You know, cultural appropriation?
> >>
> >> Who's your favorite blues artist? Some white guitarist who claims to be a bluesman?
> >
> > The theme of this thread is "Songs That Use Bars of 7."
> >
> > Your flaunting of your black fetish isn't pertinent to this thread or this group.
> >
> > Take your black fixation into a thread of your own. If you can make it pertinent to this group (e.g., "Black Artists Who Influenced the Beatles"), I might participate.
> >
> > Back on topic: "Frame By Frame" by King Crimson features lots of 7/8.
> And to make it even more Beatle-relevant, Tony Levin played the bass on
> Double Fantasy.
>
> But he is also 'white', and has just released a book of his decades'
> collection of photos. Some of those are coloured, and others are
> black-and-white. He couldn't in all sincerity and true to origins take
> 'just black' photos, cos he isn't. Though there is no reason why he
> couldn't have been.
>
> geoff

A King Crimson Live in Japan 1984 concert came up on my Youtube this morning. Tony Levin played the Chapman Stick on the song I mentioned. The guy is versatile. I don't think too many people would listen to Levin's wild live Stick lines and think: "Hey! That's the guy who played on John Lennon's comeback album."

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<5b69c832-55aa-4b69-a18c-8466ec5a5a4bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2487&group=rec.music.beatles#2487

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 07:04:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 15:04 UTC

On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 6:00:40 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:

> The theme of this thread is "Songs That Use Bars of 7."

I knew that you had no answers to my questions. Thanks for admitting it.

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<59ydnVa0Zda_KVr8nZ2dnUU7-cOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2491&group=rec.music.beatles#2491

Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 13:15:29 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 00:15 UTC

On 26/12/2021 4:04 am, Bruce wrote:
> On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 6:00:40 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
>
>> The theme of this thread is "Songs That Use Bars of 7."
>
> I knew that you had no answers to my questions. Thanks for admitting it.

No, nobody is interested in you manic-obsessive questions because nobody
here is as fucked up as you.

Get treatment.

geoff

Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time

<cb4f33db-afa0-459c-8bd0-2d4a2bc63b4dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2492&group=rec.music.beatles#2492

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 16:37:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 00:37 UTC

On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 7:15:37 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> On 26/12/2021 4:04 am, Bruce wrote:
> > On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 6:00:40 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> >
> >> The theme of this thread is "Songs That Use Bars of 7."
> >
> > I knew that you had no answers to my questions. Thanks for admitting it.

> No, nobody is interested in you manic-obsessive questions because nobody
> here is as fucked up as you.
>
> Get treatment.

Yes, I should do that so I can be more like you guys here.

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: Popular Songs That Feature 7/4 Time