It would be nice to be sure of anything the way some people are of everything.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: The Maureen trilogy: Afterglow

SubjectAuthor
* The Maureen trilogy: AfterglowGeorge J. Dance
+- Re: The Maureen trilogy: AfterglowFaraway Star
+* Re: The Maureen trilogy: AfterglowFaraway Star
|+* Re: The Maureen trilogy: AfterglowW.Dockery
||`- Re: The Maureen trilogy: AfterglowGeorge J. Dance
|`* Re: The Maureen trilogy: AfterglowGeorge J. Dance
| `* Re: The Maureen trilogy: AfterglowWill Dockery
|  `* Good riddance google groups%
|   `* Re: Good riddance google groupsGeorge J. Dance
|    +* Re: Good riddance google groupsFaraway Star
|    |`* Re: Good riddance google groups%
|    | `* Re: Good riddance google groupsW.Dockery
|    |  `- Re: Good riddance google groupsWill Dockery
|    `- Re: Good riddance google groupsWill Dockery
`- Re: The Maureen trilogy: AfterglowGeneral-Zod

1
The Maureen trilogy: Afterglow

<a301415c794a85c418ee0cb0099916c4@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246511&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246511

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:34:27 +0000
Subject: The Maureen trilogy: Afterglow
From: George J...@www.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: George J. Dance - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:34 UTC

"Afterglow" is the third poem in what I call my "Maureen trilogy" - you can read more about that trilogy on the thread devoted to its first poemm "Spring Again." Likw "Spring Again", "Afterglow" is a sonnet, but accidentally so, merely because I was learning to write sonnets at the time, and I wanted to write one for my wife for our anniversaryl I wanted to write not just a sonnet but a love poem, as a gift that would make up a little for the fact that, as too often in our relationship, I was ignoring our relationship to go off by myself and write instead.

So there's no complex theme here, just a simple poem to tell Maureen that I love her (while acknowledging that I don't do that enough. There are a couple of good lines, and a couple of Eliot-style allusions to works by other poets (Charles III and Eliot himself). But I'll let the readers look for those, if they choose; for now, I'll just give the definitive text:

Afterglow

My darling, on this night of Valentine's,
Excuse me while I find a way to say
I love you, knowing I could never pay
For thirty years with only fourteen lines.
But let me try to say just what I mean:
That in the depths of February's chill,
As long as I can have you with me still,
It never will be dark or cold, Maureen;
For, holding you and looking at the snow,
I see a light from thirty years ago
Still blazing, gleaming, dazzling all below!
And looking in your eyes, Maureen, I know
A passion from as many years ago,
Which warms my body with its afterglow.

~~
George J. Dance, 2007

Re: The Maureen trilogy: Afterglow

<c23bcd57-0b40-4b79-8429-3a2dd82cf5efn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246564&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246564

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 10:12:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The Maureen trilogy: Afterglow
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 18:12 UTC

On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 9:35:15 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:

> "Afterglow" is the third poem in what I call my "Maureen trilogy" - you can read more about that trilogy on the thread devoted to its first poemm "Spring Again." Likw "Spring Again", "Afterglow" is a sonnet, but accidentally so, merely because I was learning to write sonnets at the time, and I wanted to write one for my wife for our anniversaryl I wanted to write not just a sonnet but a love poem, as a gift that would make up a little for the fact that, as too often in our relationship, I was ignoring our relationship to go off by myself and write instead.
>
> So there's no complex theme here, just a simple poem to tell Maureen that I love her (while acknowledging that I don't do that enough. There are a couple of good lines, and a couple of Eliot-style allusions to works by other poets (Charles III and Eliot himself). But I'll let the readers look for those, if they choose; for now, I'll just give the definitive text:
>
> Afterglow
>
> My darling, on this night of Valentine's,
> Excuse me while I find a way to say
> I love you, knowing I could never pay
> For thirty years with only fourteen lines.
> But let me try to say just what I mean:
> That in the depths of February's chill,
> As long as I can have you with me still,
> It never will be dark or cold, Maureen;
> For, holding you and looking at the snow,
> I see a light from thirty years ago
> Still blazing, gleaming, dazzling all below!
> And looking in your eyes, Maureen, I know
> A passion from as many years ago,
> Which warms my body with its afterglow.
>
> ~~
> George J. Dance, 2007

A fantastic series of poems so far, I must go back and start from the start...!

Re: The Maureen trilogy: Afterglow

<99ac64f3-a725-4ef1-989b-e267797ba008n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246603&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246603

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 05:41:56 -0800 (PST)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 13:41 UTC

On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 9:35:15 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:

> "Afterglow" is the third poem in what I call my "Maureen trilogy" - you can read more about that trilogy on the thread devoted to its first poemm "Spring Again." Likw "Spring Again", "Afterglow" is a sonnet, but accidentally so, merely because I was learning to write sonnets at the time, and I wanted to write one for my wife for our anniversaryl I wanted to write not just a sonnet but a love poem, as a gift that would make up a little for the fact that, as too often in our relationship, I was ignoring our relationship to go off by myself and write instead.
>
> So there's no complex theme here, just a simple poem to tell Maureen that I love her (while acknowledging that I don't do that enough. There are a couple of good lines, and a couple of Eliot-style allusions to works by other poets (Charles III and Eliot himself). But I'll let the readers look for those, if they choose; for now, I'll just give the definitive text:
>
> Afterglow
>
> My darling, on this night of Valentine's,
> Excuse me while I find a way to say
> I love you, knowing I could never pay
> For thirty years with only fourteen lines.
> But let me try to say just what I mean:
> That in the depths of February's chill,
> As long as I can have you with me still,
> It never will be dark or cold, Maureen;
> For, holding you and looking at the snow,
> I see a light from thirty years ago
> Still blazing, gleaming, dazzling all below!
> And looking in your eyes, Maureen, I know
> A passion from as many years ago,
> Which warms my body with its afterglow.
>
> ~~
> George J. Dance, 2007

Good idea, I have stopped posting new poetry here for about a year because of the great epic flame war, maybe I'll posts a few of the new ones here before Google Groups closes down this month.

Re: The Maureen trilogy: Afterglow

<e6a902be78b80b2cecdfe0b00c0793c0@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246613&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246613

Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:28:35 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:28 UTC

Faraway Star wrote:

> On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 9:35:15 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
>>
>> "Afterglow" is the third poem in what I call my "Maureen trilogy" - you can read more about that trilogy on the thread devoted to its first poemm "Spring Again." Likw "Spring Again", "Afterglow" is a sonnet, but accidentally so, merely because I was learning to write sonnets at the time, and I wanted to write one for my wife for our anniversaryl I wanted to write not just a sonnet but a love poem, as a gift that would make up a little for the fact that, as too often in our relationship, I was ignoring our relationship to go off by myself and write instead.
>>
>> So there's no complex theme here, just a simple poem to tell Maureen that I love her (while acknowledging that I don't do that enough. There are a couple of good lines, and a couple of Eliot-style allusions to works by other poets (Charles III and Eliot himself). But I'll let the readers look for those, if they choose; for now, I'll just give the definitive text:
>>
>> Afterglow
>>
>> My darling, on this night of Valentine's,
>> Excuse me while I find a way to say
>> I love you, knowing I could never pay
>> For thirty years with only fourteen lines.
>> But let me try to say just what I mean:
>> That in the depths of February's chill,
>> As long as I can have you with me still,
>> It never will be dark or cold, Maureen;
>> For, holding you and looking at the snow,
>> I see a light from thirty years ago
>> Still blazing, gleaming, dazzling all below!
>> And looking in your eyes, Maureen, I know
>> A passion from as many years ago,
>> Which warms my body with its afterglow.
>>
>> ~~
>> George J. Dance, 2007

> Good idea, I have stopped posting new poetry here for about a year because of the great epic flame war, maybe I'll posts a few of the new ones here before Google Groups closes down this month...

Agreed, I should probably do that, also.

Re: The Maureen trilogy: Afterglow

<252973fcd1a43702560319bed3a51854@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246649&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246649

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 07:11:37 +0000
From: George J...@www.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: George J. Dance - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 07:11 UTC

Faraway Star wrote:

> On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 9:35:15 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
>>
>> "Afterglow" is the third poem in what I call my "Maureen trilogy" - you can read more about that trilogy on the thread devoted to its first poemm "Spring Again." Likw "Spring Again", "Afterglow" is a sonnet, but accidentally so, merely because I was learning to write sonnets at the time, and I wanted to write one for my wife for our anniversaryl I wanted to write not just a sonnet but a love poem, as a gift that would make up a little for the fact that, as too often in our relationship, I was ignoring our relationship to go off by myself and write instead.
>>
>> So there's no complex theme here, just a simple poem to tell Maureen that I love her (while acknowledging that I don't do that enough. There are a couple of good lines, and a couple of Eliot-style allusions to works by other poets (Charles III and Eliot himself). But I'll let the readers look for those, if they choose; for now, I'll just give the definitive text:
>>
>> Afterglow
>>
>> My darling, on this night of Valentine's,
>> Excuse me while I find a way to say
>> I love you, knowing I could never pay
>> For thirty years with only fourteen lines.
>> But let me try to say just what I mean:
>> That in the depths of February's chill,
>> As long as I can have you with me still,
>> It never will be dark or cold, Maureen;
>> For, holding you and looking at the snow,
>> I see a light from thirty years ago
>> Still blazing, gleaming, dazzling all below!
>> And looking in your eyes, Maureen, I know
>> A passion from as many years ago,
>> Which warms my body with its afterglow.
>>
>> ~~
>> George J. Dance, 2007

> Good idea, I have stopped posting new poetry here for about a year because of the great epic flame war, maybe I'll posts a few of the new ones here before Google Groups closes down this month.

I think that is an excellent idea. There's only 9 days left; I'd say pick the four or five you like the best, and post them over the next nine days, no more than one per day. If I had new poems, I'd do the same but, alas, I have none; all I can do is revive some of my older works, like here.

Re: The Maureen trilogy: Afterglow

<7219a41c323767e30e31df43999b324e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246650&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246650

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 07:15:55 +0000
From: George J...@www.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: George J. Dance - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 07:15 UTC

W.Dockery wrote:

> Faraway Star wrote:

>> On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 9:35:15 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
>>>
>>> "Afterglow" is the third poem in what I call my "Maureen trilogy" - you can read more about that trilogy on the thread devoted to its first poemm "Spring Again." Likw "Spring Again", "Afterglow" is a sonnet, but accidentally so, merely because I was learning to write sonnets at the time, and I wanted to write one for my wife for our anniversaryl I wanted to write not just a sonnet but a love poem, as a gift that would make up a little for the fact that, as too often in our relationship, I was ignoring our relationship to go off by myself and write instead.
>>>
>>> So there's no complex theme here, just a simple poem to tell Maureen that I love her (while acknowledging that I don't do that enough. There are a couple of good lines, and a couple of Eliot-style allusions to works by other poets (Charles III and Eliot himself). But I'll let the readers look for those, if they choose; for now, I'll just give the definitive text:
>>>
>>> Afterglow
>>>
>>> My darling, on this night of Valentine's,
>>> Excuse me while I find a way to say
>>> I love you, knowing I could never pay
>>> For thirty years with only fourteen lines.
>>> But let me try to say just what I mean:
>>> That in the depths of February's chill,
>>> As long as I can have you with me still,
>>> It never will be dark or cold, Maureen;
>>> For, holding you and looking at the snow,
>>> I see a light from thirty years ago
>>> Still blazing, gleaming, dazzling all below!
>>> And looking in your eyes, Maureen, I know
>>> A passion from as many years ago,
>>> Which warms my body with its afterglow.
>>>
>>> ~~
>>> George J. Dance, 2007

>> Good idea, I have stopped posting new poetry here for about a year because of the great epic flame war, maybe I'll posts a few of the new ones here before Google Groups closes down this month...

> Agreed, I should probably do that, also.

I agree, Will. It should be even easier for you, since you've been blogging your newer poems as you write them; it wouldn't be hard to copy and paste them right off the blog, the way I did for the 3 Maureen poems.

Re: The Maureen trilogy: Afterglow

<c8c696ac-d99a-49c6-b3ce-3ef6f2ab4c96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246655&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246655

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 02:51:40 -0800 (PST)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 10:51 UTC

On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 2:15:14 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
> Faraway Star wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 9:35:15 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
> >>
> >> "Afterglow" is the third poem in what I call my "Maureen trilogy" - you can read more about that trilogy on the thread devoted to its first poemm "Spring Again." Likw "Spring Again", "Afterglow" is a sonnet, but accidentally so, merely because I was learning to write sonnets at the time, and I wanted to write one for my wife for our anniversaryl I wanted to write not just a sonnet but a love poem, as a gift that would make up a little for the fact that, as too often in our relationship, I was ignoring our relationship to go off by myself and write instead.
> >>
> >> So there's no complex theme here, just a simple poem to tell Maureen that I love her (while acknowledging that I don't do that enough. There are a couple of good lines, and a couple of Eliot-style allusions to works by other poets (Charles III and Eliot himself). But I'll let the readers look for those, if they choose; for now, I'll just give the definitive text:
> >>
> >> Afterglow
> >>
> >> My darling, on this night of Valentine's,
> >> Excuse me while I find a way to say
> >> I love you, knowing I could never pay
> >> For thirty years with only fourteen lines.
> >> But let me try to say just what I mean:
> >> That in the depths of February's chill,
> >> As long as I can have you with me still,
> >> It never will be dark or cold, Maureen;
> >> For, holding you and looking at the snow,
> >> I see a light from thirty years ago
> >> Still blazing, gleaming, dazzling all below!
> >> And looking in your eyes, Maureen, I know
> >> A passion from as many years ago,
> >> Which warms my body with its afterglow.
> >>
> >> ~~
> >> George J. Dance, 2007
> > Good idea, I have stopped posting new poetry here for about a year because of the great epic flame war, maybe I'll posts a few of the new ones here before Google Groups closes down this month.
> I think that is an excellent idea. There's only 9 days left; I'd say pick the four or five you like the best, and post them over the next nine days, no more than one per day. If I had new poems, I'd do the same but, alas, I have none; all I can do is revive some of my older works, like here.

Only 9 days, it will be strange to have no Google Groups after all these decades.

Good riddance google groups

<17b0f6da27222f1a$667$1113819$6cdd666a@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246660&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246660

Subject: Good riddance google groups
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
From: prec...@yahoo.net (%)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 07:21:16 -0500
 by: % - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 12:21 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:
> Only 9 days, it will be strange to have no Google Groups after all these decades.

https://countingdownto.com/?c=5322740

Re: Good riddance google groups

<17d84fe3c0db949c18043f709e8a10ea@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246662&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246662

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 14:32:52 +0000
Subject: Re: Good riddance google groups
From: George J...@www.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: George J. Dance - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 14:32 UTC

Cool site. I just checked, and Google gives that date - Feb. 22 - on its notice. But that's new; originally they'd said it would shut down Feb. 15:

On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 5:31:45 PM UTC-5, NancyGene wrote:
> "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/whhQW0oBeHA/m/XGCSLkdiAgAJ?hl=en

That's good news that we get an extra week of life here.

Re: Good riddance google groups

<68f03409-4b05-4825-a575-488efdd148c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246669&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246669

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 17:55:37 -0800 (PST)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 01:55 UTC

On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 9:35:15 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 7:21:17 AM UTC-5, % wrote:
> > Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > Only 9 days, it will be strange to have no Google Groups after all these decades.
> > >
> > https://countingdownto.com/?c=5322740
> Cool site. I just checked, and Google gives that date - Feb. 22 - on its notice. But that's new; originally they'd said it would shut down Feb. 15:
>
> On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 5:31:45 PM UTC-5, NancyGene wrote:
> > "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today."
> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/whhQW0oBeHA/m/XGCSLkdiAgAJ?hl=en
>
> That's good news that we get an extra week of life here.

Okay, another week, that's a significant change.

Perhaps Google will change their mind?

Re: Good riddance google groups

<0c54424a-b3a6-4930-b0c4-bea33117c850n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246671&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246671

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:15:58 -0800 (PST)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:15 UTC

On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 9:35:15 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 7:21:17 AM UTC-5, % wrote:
> > Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > Only 9 days, it will be strange to have no Google Groups after all these decades.
> > >
> > https://countingdownto.com/?c=5322740
> Cool site. I just checked, and Google gives that date - Feb. 22 - on its notice. But that's new; originally they'd said it would shut down Feb. 15:

Yes, in the announcement made on December 15 2023.
> On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 5:31:45 PM UTC-5, NancyGene wrote:
> > "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today."
> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/whhQW0oBeHA/m/XGCSLkdiAgAJ?hl=en
>
> That's good news that we get an extra week of life here.

Indeed.

Re: Good riddance google groups

<17b13ab1e56751ce$6847$2419581$e4ddee62@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246672&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246672

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
From: prec...@yahoo.net (%)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 04:04:29 -0500
 by: % - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:04 UTC

Faraway Star wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 9:35:15 AM UTC-5, George J. wrote:
>> On Monday, February 5, 2024 at 7:21:17 AM UTC-5, % wrote:
>>> Will Dockery wrote:
>>
> > > Only 9 days, it will be strange to have no Google Groups after all these decades.
>>>>
>>> https://countingdownto.com/?c=5322740
>> Cool site. I just checked, and Google gives that date - Feb. 22 - on its notice. But that's new; originally they'd said it would shut down Feb. 15:
>>
>> On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 5:31:45 PM UTC-5, NancyGene wrote:
>>> "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today."
>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/whhQW0oBeHA/m/XGCSLkdiAgAJ?hl=en
>>
>> That's good news that we get an extra week of life here.
>
> Okay, another week, that's a significant change.
>
> Perhaps Google will change their mind?

not a chance, too much abuse and spam coming from that shithole

Re: Good riddance google groups

<0d356ebd5c6860bfb2e16352e13134ba@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246673&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246673

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:12:57 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <a301415c794a85c418ee0cb0099916c4@www.novabbs.com> <99ac64f3-a725-4ef1-989b-e267797ba008n@googlegroups.com> <252973fcd1a43702560319bed3a51854@www.novabbs.com> <c8c696ac-d99a-49c6-b3ce-3ef6f2ab4c96n@googlegroups.com> <17b0f6da27222f1a$667$1113819$6cdd666a@news.thecubenet.com> <17d84fe3c0db949c18043f709e8a10ea@www.novabbs.com> <68f03409-4b05-4825-a575-488efdd148c1n@googlegroups.com> <17b13ab1e56751ce$6847$2419581$e4ddee62@news.thecubenet.com>
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:12 UTC

% wrote:

> Faraway Star wrote:

>>> Cool site. I just checked, and Google gives that date - Feb. 22 - on its notice. But that's new; originally they'd said it would shut down Feb. 15:

>>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/whhQW0oBeHA/m/XGCSLkdiAgAJ?hl=en
>>>
>>> That's good news that we get an extra week of life here.
>>
>> Okay, another week, that's a significant change.
>>
>> Perhaps Google will change their mind?
>>

> not a chance, too much abuse and spam coming from that shithole

Well that's something we won't Mudd.

:)

Re: Good riddance google groups

<862455bc-3747-4637-9567-842a7e00b1abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=247483&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247483

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 01:41:00 -0800 (PST)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:41 UTC

% wrote:
> Faraway Star wrote:

> >> Okay, another week, that's a significant change.
> >>

>> Perhaps Google will change their mind?
>
> not a chance, too much abuse and spam coming from that shithole

Well that's something we won't miss.

:)

Re: The Maureen trilogy: Afterglow

<f5e61ecdfe68daaffd8d160013fbaeb9@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=247911&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247911

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:11:42 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:11 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> "Afterglow" is the third poem in what I call my "Maureen trilogy" - you can read more about that trilogy on the thread devoted to its first poemm "Spring Again." Likw "Spring Again", "Afterglow" is a sonnet, but accidentally so, merely because I was learning to write sonnets at the time, and I wanted to write one for my wife for our anniversaryl I wanted to write not just a sonnet but a love poem, as a gift that would make up a little for the fact that, as too often in our relationship, I was ignoring our relationship to go off by myself and write instead.

> So there's no complex theme here, just a simple poem to tell Maureen that I love her (while acknowledging that I don't do that enough. There are a couple of good lines, and a couple of Eliot-style allusions to works by other poets (Charles III and Eliot himself). But I'll let the readers look for those, if they choose; for now, I'll just give the definitive text:

> Afterglow

> My darling, on this night of Valentine's,
> Excuse me while I find a way to say
> I love you, knowing I could never pay
> For thirty years with only fourteen lines.
> But let me try to say just what I mean:
> That in the depths of February's chill,
> As long as I can have you with me still,
> It never will be dark or cold, Maureen;
> For, holding you and looking at the snow,
> I see a light from thirty years ago
> Still blazing, gleaming, dazzling all below!
> And looking in your eyes, Maureen, I know
> A passion from as many years ago,
> Which warms my body with its afterglow.

> ~~
> George J. Dance, 2007