arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / "The Peter Pan Bag"

SubjectAuthor
* "The Peter Pan Bag"W.Dockery
+* Re: "The Peter Pan Bag" / Lee KingmanGeneral-Zod
|`- Re: "The Peter Pan Bag" / Lee KingmanW.Dockery
+- Re: "The Peter Pan Bag"W.Dockery
`- Re: "The Peter Pan Bag"W.Dockery

1
"The Peter Pan Bag"

<275d3a37346d59f1a016c857156a121f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248862&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248862

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:53:30 +0000
Subject: "The Peter Pan Bag"
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:53 UTC

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/exsj7WxCBum6LZiQ/?mibextid=oFDknk

George Dance plus there's a song Deby Love-Payne used to sing in 1976 that I'd love to include if she can help me find it, one of the lyrics go:
"I've got a secret, a little green secret." which for some reason I always associate with "The Peter Pan Bag" a book that I think became a TV movie around that time. I think she's on this group so maybe she remembers something about this song, which may have actually been an original of hers or from a local band.

***

Re: "The Peter Pan Bag" / Lee Kingman

<13dd53fc66b76413d563fdded39d7770@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248863&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248863

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:49:28 +0000
Subject: Re: "The Peter Pan Bag" / Lee Kingman
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:49 UTC

W.Dockery wrote:

> https://www.facebook.com/share/p/exsj7WxCBum6LZiQ/?mibextid=oFDknk

> George Dance plus there's a song Deby Love-Payne used to sing in 1976 that I'd love to include if she can help me find it, one of the lyrics go:
> "I've got a secret, a little green secret." which for some reason I always associate with "The Peter Pan Bag" a book that I think became a TV movie around that time. I think she's on this group so maybe she remembers something about this song, which may have actually been an original of hers or from a local band.

> ***

I seem to remember some girls reading this at Buffalo Jr. High way back in the old days...

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/07/12/archives/for-young-readers.html

************

Seventeen ‐ year ‐ old Wendy Altar dyce in Lee Kingman's novel, THE PETER PAN BAG (Houghton Mifflin, $3.75), is perhaps speaking for many of today's teen‐agers when she tells her parents “home is just not the center of our lives.” Exasperated by silver napkin rings, games of Monop oly and her father's dominating intellectual discussions in their subur ban household, rebellious Wendy runs away feeling that “whatever my own thing is, I know I can't find it here. I have to find it somewhere else— by myself.”

After borrowing from her sister's wallet and her brother's piggy bank, Wendy heads for New York City to spend the summer with her friend Miggle. Instead of Miggle, who has gone off to Europe, Wendy finds Miggle's brother, 22 ‐ year ‐ old Peter Banbury, who takes her to Boston and a crash pad on Beacon Hill. There Wendy meets an assortment of hippie types—Oriana, resident gu ruess; panhandler Little Knocky Nell, vindictive and jealous in her relation ship with Donald, orphan, schizo and Lost Soul; Rolf, Viet vet, and others.

Copies of “The Peter Pan Bag,” intended for readers 14 and up, were sent to a number of young people for their comments, which follow:

By ORIANA RODMAN

Miss Rodman is 18 and a student at Herbert Berghoff Studio.

Lee Kingman's impressions of a girl leaving home for the first time are neither black nor white, but more like a collage of pastel colors, not too bright, or too defined, yet eyecatching. I would have liked to have known what some of those shadows and smudges were.

“The Peter Pan Bag” could have been a chronicle of our times as seen through the eyes of a young girl (or the author's eyes) if it had explored beyond all the doors it opened. But it did not. Characters made their en trances and captured my curiosity, only to exit leaving me disappointed as to exactly who they were and why they came. If the characters had full filled themselves, the story, which in itself is not extraordinary, would have had more impact.

SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

It seems to me that Lee Kingman steered away from what might be considered offensive Or outrageous. The audience she has chosen has ex perienced the offensive and the out rageous. But what disappointed me most of all was that Wendy, the heroine, never found what her experi ences meant to her. I can make a guess, but is that the point?

By PETER LOWRY

Mr. Lowry is 16, was president of the Junior Class at Wayland (Mass.) High last semester, edited a thriving above‐ground underground newspa per, The Mole.

What Wendy doesn't meet are sex, violence, sadist cops, weirdos and drug addiction, some unrealistic ex clusions.

You don't get far into “The Peter Pan Bag” before you realize that Wendy Allardyce is no Holden Caul field, but then none of the characters is 3‐D. The language is made up of antiquated cliches and “nitty gritty” is about as rough as it gets. From Parsley Hall to the Elsie L. Fribble Prize and a kid brother named Dougal Allardyce, the book suffers from over speak.

There are no surprises even with insanity and suicide thrown in for effect. Wendy is unbelievably foolish but, despite this handicap, she sees The Light in the end and goes home to her parents although they have made minimal effort to find her. In one sense this is a dangerous book. It seems to say that you, too, can have a summer of fun and adventure with no more serious consequence than meeting a handsome, sincere, bearded graduate student who will put you in his research.

Editors’ Picks

What to Do When Your 401(k) Leaves Something to Be Desired

Why the World Still Needs Immanuel Kant

Harvard’s Taylor Swift Scholars Have Thoughts on ‘Tortured Poets’
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

By SUSAN HINTON

Miss Hinton is 21, a student at the University of Tulsa and the author of “The Outsiders.”

It's called “The Peter Pan Bag,” and indeed it is, and if you can stomach the constant allusion to “Peter Pan” (join the hippies and find Captain Hooked, Wendy and Peter and the Lost Boys) and if you think the I'm‐going‐to‐find‐myself thing has not been done enough already, you might be ready for this book. Wendy is referred to as an innocent bird, and man is she! Of course she is an escapee from comfortable middle class living, but even so, dumb is dumb, and not necessarily synony mous with innocent. Dumb and be lieving, she sells hot goods for a hippie friend, thinking the friend's aunt has left her these things. It doesn't even dawn on her what Peter is up to, until she has it spelled out for her.

If you can ignore dumb, pretty Wendy, and stock‐type Peter, you can meet some interesting people in this book and get a small glimpse of the “now” scene—pot and pills and communal living; although sex does not rear its ugly head, we do see its wiggling toenail. The pros and cons of pot smoking are discussed without much preaching, though we get the feeling that square Peter does know best after all. The other charac ters become vivid in places, especially Donald. If you have known a gentle, peaceful person with soft dark eyes, the fate of Donald causes deep thoughts.

As in its namesake, the fairy tale ending is too pat, too good, too “wound up” but believable. The main fault I found in this book was too much Peter Pan, and not enough Bag.

By JOHN BIRMINGHAM

Mr. Birmingham, 18 and a fresh man at New York University, edited the recent collection of writing from underground school newspapers, “Our Time Is Now.”

************************

Re: "The Peter Pan Bag" / Lee Kingman

<fa256bfcef618c6de36227a8f33baf8d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248901&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248901

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:47:29 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:47 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> [...]

> As in its namesake, the fairy tale ending is too pat, too good, too “wound up” but believable. The main fault I found in this book was too much Peter Pan, and not enough Bag.

> By JOHN BIRMINGHAM

> Mr. Birmingham, 18 and a fresh man at New York University, edited the recent collection of writing from underground school newspapers, “Our Time Is Now.”

Good find.

Re: "The Peter Pan Bag"

<079a44c1972918c817565e62ccf87aaa@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248910&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248910

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:21:36 +0000
Subject: Re: "The Peter Pan Bag"
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:21 UTC

Actually, just had an idea, I should write a poem about the night Deby Love-Payne sang it, and quote it in the poem.

Add woeds to the picture.

😏

Re: "The Peter Pan Bag"

<7b2b93a63ed7c79ca828ca3bdf4bd8ea@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248913&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248913

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:41:08 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:41 UTC

I wonder if I'm confusing "Peter Pan Bag" with "Go Ask Alice" a novel that's almost the same. I'm pretty sure it was made into a movie. But either way the lyrics or song isn't appearing in searches.

https://youtu.be/V_FqQ38DUaU?si=-ne3w61OFg3xIPem