Advice to young men: Be ascetic, and if you can't be ascetic, then at least be aseptic.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Dharma Bums

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Dharma BumsWill Dockery
`* Re: Dharma BumsGeneral-Zod
 `* Re: Dharma BumsWilliam Price
  `- Re: Dharma BumsW.Dockery

1
Re: Dharma Bums

<c3b37c63-c2b6-4a11-978f-1b9677d6681en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201425&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#201425

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:22:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Dharma Bums
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 04:22 UTC

Zod wrote:

> I consider myself one of the Dharma Bums, still and all.

> https://www.bartleby.com/essay/Dharma-Bums-PKD3CSSDJ3DQ

> *******************************
> Erica Schlecht wrote:
> A True Dharma Bum One of the most powerful quotes in the entire book that I feel sums up what it is to be a dharma bum, “ I felt free and therefore I was free”. This quote from Ray Smith shows that a dharma bum must always believe in oneself and take the journey to becoming a Dharma bum from within. Although one can learn from fellow dharma bums such as the Saint Teresa bum, Han Shan, and Japhy the ultimate truth of being Dharma bum comes from within. Saint Teresa Bum is the “first genuine dharma bum” that Ray Smith, the main character is Dharma Bums has ever met. The book starts off with Smith jumping into a box car where he runs into the Saint Teresa bum

> In chapter 24 the same idea is brought up, "Maybe I'll be rich and work and make a lot of money and live in a big house." But a minute later: "And who wants to enslave himself to a lot of all that, though?” (Chapter 24). Jack Kerouac’s writing about this shows that dharma bums do not need to fit into the mold of working society to be happy. At the same time a dharma bum is not one that sits around doing nothing, but one who constantly searches for oneself in nature and the things around him. This is shown in another quote from the book, “by God, you're right, all those sedentary bums sitting around on pillows hearing the cry of a triumphant mountain smasher, they don't deserve it” (Chapter 12). Smith discusses what he has learned from Japhy here, “I realized I had indeed learned from Japhy how to cast off the evils for the world and the city and find my true pure soul, just as long as I had a decent pack on my back. I got back to my camp and spread the sleeping bag and thanked the Lord for all He was giving me” (156). Japhy has taught Smith that the Lord gives us all that we need and to look within the find true Dharma Bum peace.. Being a Dharma Bum is not something that can be defined as one particular thing. Following certain procedures such as disposing of worldly possessions to look within and find oneself is a good step, but cannot truly define one’s journey.

> **************************************

Good evening Zod, I hope you and Mike are having a great weekend so far.

🙂

Re: Dharma Bums

<5e8891ab9e0650afa7f74ae8ece27fd9@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248984&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248984

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 21:55:40 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 21:55 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Zod wrote:
>
>> I consider myself one of the Dharma Bums, still and all.

>> https://www.bartleby.com/essay/Dharma-Bums-PKD3CSSDJ3DQ

>> *******************************
>> Erica Schlecht wrote:
>> A True Dharma Bum One of the most powerful quotes in the entire book that I feel sums up what it is to be a dharma bum, “ I felt free and therefore I was free”. This quote from Ray Smith shows that a dharma bum must always believe in oneself and take the journey to becoming a Dharma bum from within. Although one can learn from fellow dharma bums such as the Saint Teresa bum, Han Shan, and Japhy the ultimate truth of being Dharma bum comes from within. Saint Teresa Bum is the “first genuine dharma bum” that Ray Smith, the main character is Dharma Bums has ever met. The book starts off with Smith jumping into a box car where he runs into the Saint Teresa bum

>> In chapter 24 the same idea is brought up, "Maybe I'll be rich and work and make a lot of money and live in a big house." But a minute later: "And who wants to enslave himself to a lot of all that, though?” (Chapter 24). Jack Kerouac’s writing about this shows that dharma bums do not need to fit into the mold of working society to be happy. At the same time a dharma bum is not one that sits around doing nothing, but one who constantly searches for oneself in nature and the things around him. This is shown in another quote from the book, “by God, you're right, all those sedentary bums sitting around on pillows hearing the cry of a triumphant mountain smasher, they don't deserve it” (Chapter 12). Smith discusses what he has learned from Japhy here, “I realized I had indeed learned from Japhy how to cast off the evils for the world and the city and find my true pure soul, just as long as I had a decent pack on my back. I got back to my camp and spread the sleeping bag and thanked the Lord for all He was giving me” (156). Japhy has taught Smith that the Lord gives us all that we need and to look within the find true Dharma Bum peace.. Being a Dharma Bum is not something that can be defined as one particular thing. Following certain procedures such as disposing of worldly possessions to look within and find oneself is a good step, but cannot truly define one’s journey.

>> **************************************

> Good evening Zod, I hope you and Mike are having a great weekend so far.

> 🙂

I no longer see Mike, I now have my own apartment...!

Re: Dharma Bums

<v0fmae$q85n$3@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248993&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248993

Followup: alt.idiots
From: willy.J....@yahoo.net (William Price)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 03:49:34 -0400
 by: William Price - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 07:49 UTC

General-Zod wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:
>
>> Zod wrote:
>>
>>>  I consider myself one of the Dharma Bums, still and all.
>
>>> https://www.bartleby.com/essay/Dharma-Bums-PKD3CSSDJ3DQ
>

>>> ******************************* Erica Schlecht wrote:
>>> A True Dharma Bum One of the most powerful quotes in the entire book
>>> that I feel sums up what it is to be a dharma bum, “ I felt free and
>>> therefore I was free”.  This quote from Ray Smith shows that a dharma
>>> bum must always believe in oneself and take the journey to becoming a
>>> Dharma bum from within.  Although one can learn from fellow dharma
>>> bums such as the Saint Teresa bum, Han Shan, and Japhy the ultimate
>>> truth of being Dharma bum comes from within. Saint Teresa Bum is the
>>> “first genuine dharma bum” that Ray Smith, the main character is
>>> Dharma Bums has ever met.  The book starts off with Smith jumping
>>> into a box car where he runs into the Saint Teresa bum
>
>>> In chapter 24 the same idea is brought up, "Maybe I'll be rich and
>>> work and make a lot of money and live in a big house." But a minute
>>> later: "And who wants to enslave himself to a lot of all that,
>>> though?” (Chapter 24).  Jack Kerouac’s writing about this shows that
>>> dharma bums do not need to fit into the mold of working society to be
>>> happy.  At the same time a dharma bum is not one that sits around
>>> doing nothing, but one who constantly searches for oneself in nature
>>> and the things around him.  This is shown in another quote from the
>>> book, “by God, you're right, all those sedentary bums sitting around
>>> on pillows hearing the cry of a triumphant mountain smasher, they
>>> don't deserve it” (Chapter 12).  Smith discusses what he has learned
>>> from Japhy here, “I realized I had indeed learned from Japhy how to
>>> cast off the evils for the world and the city and find my true pure
>>> soul, just as long as I had a decent pack on my back. I got back to
>>> my camp and spread the sleeping bag and thanked the Lord for all He
>>> was giving me” (156). Japhy has taught Smith that the Lord gives us
>>> all that we need and to look within the find true Dharma Bum peace..
>>> Being a Dharma Bum is not something that can be defined as one
>>> particular thing.  Following certain procedures such as disposing of
>>> worldly possessions to look within and find oneself is a good step,
>>> but cannot truly define one’s journey.
>
>>> **************************************
>
>> Good evening Zod, I hope you and Mike are having a great weekend so far.
>
>> 🙂
>
> I no longer see Mike, I now have my own apartment...!

P I S S B U M L I A R !

Re: Dharma Bums

<2186320ad18a236a32f3f71ddf763bbb@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248997&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248997

From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 06:25:19 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 06:25 UTC

Why would he lie?